View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World's Best Cat Litter - Where to buy?

I switched to a silica litter -- it's the clear stuff. I know how you feel. I was also nervous when some went into the toilet, but no problems. At least no problems with the toilet.

Maneki was so terrified when she got to the LK stage where she could see the water in the toilet bowl underneath her that she began to hold her urine. After a couple of days of this, (finally going in a puddle on the floor when she couldn't hold it any more), I went back to the solid litter box, and that's when I noticed the little bits of blood in her urine. She'd gotten a urinary tract infection from withholding her urine (and probably the stress). The good news with the silica litter is that, because it's clear, I could see the problem straight away and get her to the vet immediately.

What I like about silica litter: 1 bag (about RM15) can last about a month (for 1 cat). It's excellent at absorbing the odor. Because it's in larger pieces than clay litter, I don't find it scattered all over the room. And I like that I can keep an eye on the color of her urine. I've read, though, that some cats develop allergies to silica, and I wonder about the dust getting onto her coat and then into her mouth. Hmmmm. Those little doubts make me interested to hear what Lynie has to say about the corn-based litter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
Hi Amanda,
yeah...I m trying to decide which litter to use before start training adam with the litter kwitter. Yes, you did mention that to me ...I m a little nervous with the thought that I will need to flush some litter down the toilet bowl..you know what I mean....some may claim to be 'flushable' but 'not so flushable' after all..what brand you used when training maneki ?