View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Animal Lover

miket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ... our Dog Whisperess? What is this?

Good responses ... and don't worry, I am not in a rage. It was a rant! And I am feeling better.

Yes, I realise it is a metaphor but, if I have any say, I would ask that such metaphors not be used in dog training. Metaphors are not useful because it only serves to mystify - NOT demystify - the world of dogs and their realtionship with owners. To use an analogy, legal work is not black magic either but many incompetent lawyers use tons of jargon to mystify - NOT demystify - the legal profession. Then you pay tons of money and not get any real legal service and end up going to jail, or pay the fine, or losing your legal case. Familiar to anyone?

The only reason anyone would use mumbo jumbo (jargon) is to make it nearly impossible for end-users (consumers like you) to understand dog training. If you cannot understand, then you are in no position to question whether their techniques and approach to training YOUR dog is appropriate. Then they put your dog through the paces and you end up thinking, OOH! I have a trained dog. How nice! A trained dog because there were mumbo jumbo uttered. That's not what dog training is and most just don't realise it.

For those of you who know what it is, you should be using the correct terminology so others may learn. This way, everyone benefits. Wouldn't it be better to have such a positive end-result?

For those that don't, please take Cesar Milan as a human being, not a whisperer nor anything else. It's just a marketing thing dreamt up in Hollywood and everyone rushes out to buy/download his jargon. I suppose that's why the say there's no place like Hollywood! Don't ge me wrong, Cesar does some good things but all he really focuses on is dominance concept (pack leader) and release energy (exercise them on treadmills) - this is absolute basic issues for novice dog owners.

Too much of this alpha / pack leader concept screws up YOUR mind, and end-result is a dog trained to ignore YOU or run-away when you approach your dog. I have seen it a few times because they keep watching MR WHISPERER's videos. I then have to unwind the screwed minds of the owners. More on this later.

Far better to learn dog training from real professionals like Ivan Balabanov, Susan Barwig and many others at Canine Training Systems (http://www.caninetrainingsystems.com/) where they sell books and videos.

Finally, a clarification, I have spoken with Cheng See once. So I don't know what she does exactly. If what she does work, then go ahead. To my knowledge, she has never used that silly label on herself. And that shows maturity.

For Tigerland K9 Academy, what they do is predominantly Schutzhund (SchH). I have not seen them work their dogs and I would not comment other than say, do not go into Schutzhund sports until and unless you can get past obedience. If owners cannot even develop a basic dog-handler bond, there is huge risk in handling SchH titled dogs, let alone training dogs in SchH. Remember, handling and training is two very different things.

I am not a trainer nor breeder - been there, done that. My suggestions has no potential conflict of interest because I don't care whether it's popular (marketable). The ones I help, I do it because friends have asked for help. Otherwise, I ignore the owners because they have caused the problem by not reading and thinking what dog ownership really require (especially the larger working breeds). So, if you've learnt anything, enjoy your dog. Otherwise, I wish you luck.

Last edited by miket; 02-24-2009 at 02:37 PM.