View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My cat is losing hair and has little scabs on his body

Quote:
Originally Posted by qitqat View Post

He's on medication right now & I can see that he's a lil mellow and less clingy. I hope that's a normal reaction.
Hi, qitqat --

I've been following this thread with great interest. My friends have a DSH tabby who went bald around his back and tail nearly 2 years ago. The vets have confirmed that it's not fleas, mites, or any kind of fungus (after looking at a skin scraping under the microscope).

Thinking it might be an allergy to corn, they switched him to a premium food about 4 months ago. He's still half-bald. In his case, the baldness started after they'd left him with a colleague for a week whilst traveling, and they think he had a bad experience there. They've reached the conclusion that their cat's problem must be stress-related.

You say that your cat is on medication now and has mellowed out a bit. What kind of medication? And would you please keep us posted on your progress?

I know that skin disorders can be the most frustrating things to cure -- either in cats or humans -- because they can have so many different causes and are often tightly connected to emotion. I wish you the best luck!