View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Dear Furkids,

You are saying that we need both strategies, yes? I agree that TNR is the best idea for a cat who has been living by its wits on the streets for all or most of its life.

On the other hand, the cats who have been pets and then get surrendered would probably not last a week on the streets if neutered and released. (My own cat's survival skills are limited to yowling in front of the refrigerator every morning before sunrise... )?
True here ... cats that are too domesticated and have no survival skills should be rehomed, but unfortunately many are not adoptable because they are not "chantique" enough in myopic eyes ... such cats will not last on the streets like the street-smart ones and have to live in some designated away from traffic place like the corner of a park with lots of built in hideouts from the danger of stray dogs and have registered caregivers feeding and monitoring all of them after castration. Release does not mean simply at the streets. Modern SPCAs and other shelters work with offices and corporations to allow the managed colonies to exist around their office areas. I read that one McDonald outlet in America allowed a feeding station set up behind its kitchen.
Quote:
And I don't know why I write only about cats... It seems like the Pulau Kitam dog community would be a prime candidate for TNR, whereas a dog who has lived as a family pet for some years would not.
PKetam is a golden opportunity for TNR ... and the dog lovers in that community can act as co-owners of several dogs or caregivers and it is one-in-a-million opportunity for TNR to demonstrate its proven effectiveness in our non-believing and apathetic country.
Quote:
As I think about this I wonder about the origins of the animals at SPCA, PAWS, etc. How many are brought in off the streets and could survive there again if neutered and released, vs. how many are surrendered pets who really need adoption? Does anyone know? Does the staff at SPCA currently gather and record any sort of info like this when they take animals in? I suppose, if the only two options at present are adoption or euthanasia, there's no point...
They can survive, Maneki, but I think if you only have streets in mind, then horror would fill your mind ... but there are many other safer options that can be created if you look at what the modern SPCAs are doing ... they find some off-traffic or off-populated places ... even in residential areas in our backlanes where many of us have put up gates as crime prevention serves perfect spots for these cats because the stray dogs cannot enter the back alleys at all and endanger the cats ... but in this case SPCA will have to do the required Adult Awareness
Education Program in all residential areas (like Pulau Ketaaaaaaammmmmmmm ....), go on TV, media, shopping areas, etc, etc instead of putting out flyers asking people to adopt, adopt, adopt, jumble sales, and other tame stuff ... do what their modern counterparts are doing to inculcate an animal tolerant society accepting animals living in their midst and neigbourhood as managed castrated strays..
Quote:
I will say this, if we're talking about a surrendered adult pet (not a stray) who does not get adopted, I think euthanasia is the more humane option. Would you agree?
No, because I myself have picked up dumped and very domesticated strays of the streets, neutered them and placed them in my protected back alleys to live contentedly as managed strays because they are too plain looking but healthy (hey, they don't deserve to die simply because their fur is too short or they are not gorgeous enough ...) ... and Maneki, there are other options beside "the streets" but SPCA will have to work on it the way their ingenious counterparts in other countries are doing to make all these possible instead making all the excuses and creating all the hurdles in the world.

Anyway, FYI Maneki, the modern no-kill SPCAs around the world have termed the killing of healthy strays as CRUEL and labelled errorneously as "euthanasia" and this cruel culling is actually done not in the interest of the animals at all but in truth it is in the operation interests of the shelters.

Kalau nak seribu daya, kalau tak nak seribu daleh, lah kan? And then kalau orang lain, mereka dok sibuk-sibuk suruh orang mencuba, tapi kalau mereka sendiri, belum cuba pun dah cakap tableh-tableh ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 05-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.