View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 03:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road
Default Be responsible! Do not let ur newly adopted cat wander off & get lost

Hi all,

I feel like I have to bring this subject up bc I've noticed quite a few cats that were on the 'adopted' list here, later on ending up in the 'LOST' section. I'm sure there are many more that have not been listed... Guys, this is alarming!

So please, I implore you, for the sake of our furry friends, before bringing home a pet, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE equip yourself with the knowledge on the proper way to get your cat adjusted to his new environment.

Here are some tips, taken from: http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_...oving_cats.php
(There are many more articles available online)

1) Keep your cat inside for the first two or three weeks to give him time to learn the geography of his new home and to become accustomed to the smells. When you decide the time is right to let him out, withhold food for about 12 hours so he is hungry. Choose a quiet time to let him out in the garden, firstly ensuring that there are no other cats about. Go out with him and let him explore for a little while before calling him in for food.
2)Repeat the exercise several times, allowing him to go a little further and for awhile longer each time. Cats used to the outdoors generally cope well with a new territory to explore. Timid cats may take a little longer and should be accompanied as often as possible until their confidence builds.
3)If your cat is spending time outdoors he should be microchipped or have some form of identification bearing his name, your new address and 'phone number.

This period of readjustment may take weeks and, in some cases, it can be months before he can be allowed outside unattended. But, with patience and a little bit of luck, you and your cat will soon feel like he's never lived anywhere else.

Good luck!