View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hello, all -- Let me be clear from the start: I don't want to start a fire-storm here. I just want to relate a conversation that I overheard and ask a sincere question. It was between a Malaysian man (a cat lover who has adopted from SPCA in the past) and woman. The woman said that SPCA is now charging RM200-250 for adoption of cats. The man replied, "What?! Can buy pedigree from pet shop for that lah!"

Keep in mind, this man is an animal lover who does not support pet shops. His point was clear: asking this sort of fee for adoption of cats is not going to encourage people to adopt strays from shelters.

When I adopted my cat from SPCA, the fee was RM100. As it turned out, she had not been spayed, and if she'd gotten any vaccinations there, the SPCA couldn't give me any proof of it. I paid my own vet for vaccinations, deworming and spaying, after giving RM100 to SPCA. My Malaysian friends told me I'd been foolish, but I figured the SPCA needs funds to operate, so I let it go.

My question is this: If the RM200-250 adoption fee leads animal lovers to consider a pet shop a relative bargain, is it in the animals' best interest to charge such a high fee? And for that sum, can the SPCA provide proof of deworming, vaccination, and in the case of female cats, spaying?

I agree with charging a reasonable adoption fee. It discourages people from adopting pets thoughtlessly and attaching no value to them. It also helps to cover the medical costs that the shelter/rescuer has incurred (shots, neutering, etc.) The question is, what is reasonable? Thoughts, anyone?
Hello Maneki,

Thanks for the feed back.

Firstly, i need to know what type of cat was being adopted for so much. The ADOPTION FEES differ from one breed to another or / and also depends on the gender of the adopted animal(s). Female should be higher than male. Why? Its easier to neuter THE MALES since they need not to cut open the womb...

Secondly, i need to know who charge your friend so much (if the cat was a DSH). Actions and attentions will be brought forward to the Chairperson. I GUARANTEE YOU. Should the animals adopted be a semi pedigree or pure breed, of course the fees are higher. Believe you me, these semi / 100% pedigree are the most wanted FROM THE SHELTER (S). WHY? What is wrong with mongrels and DSH? Need not answer this question.

Thirdly, receipt should be issued for what ever amount paid to the counter. Details of second and third de-worming, second vaccination and lastly date of spaying / neutering, if the animals has yet to be spayed/neutered. All of this should be stated at the back of the receipt upon the day of adoption at full payment. Animals are fully ready for spaying / neutering at the age of 6 MONTHS. Could your friend possibly adopted a kitten instead of A CAT? SPCA Ampang would not release AN UN NEUTERED / SPAYED, UN VACCINATED CAT OR DOG (excuse my grammar and vocab). A booking fee OR full payment can be made IF THE ANIMALS ARE YET TO BE SPAYED / NEUTERED. OWNERS WILL COME BACK AND CLAIM THE ANIMALS TWO WEEKS AFTER ALL PROCEDURES ARE DONE.

Fourthly, when you come back for the second vaccination, the card will be given to you. ONLY IF YOU COME BACK (we need to know if the animals adopted is in good care). Or else, SPCA AMPANG WILL CALL YOU. Thats the standard procedure.

Fifthly, SHOULD I REMIND ALL AGAIN, ALL FEES PAID INCLUDED OF AN ANIMAL, THE SPAYING / NEUTERING , 1ST VACCINATION AND DE-WORMING.

Sixthly, thank you for adopting from SPCA Ampang. May God bless your kind heart and soul. Do not let THE HUMAN's mistakes, assumptions stop us from saving / helping the animals from the shelters or anywhere they are.

Seventhly, FEEDBACKS ARE WELCOME. Regardless if its positive or negative.

Thanks and sincerely,

SHAHRUL @ Mrsdolittle

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 05-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.