View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Animal Rescuer

t.ruth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Hi Everyone

please do not keep saying that spca has no $$$$$. if the truth can ever be told and it will, i don't wish to have u eat your words.

wait, wait wait! yours truly is very, very busy now. got to look after 200 rescued animals (plse don't try to find out where we keep them 'cos u'll never know. for their safety,we move them around all the time). then, we got to run a petshop to try to make enough to feed them the best and got told that we are 'out of our mind' to feed rescued animals food like orijen by orijen salesperson. then, we got to teach to supplement the insufficient funds from the petshop. then, too, we got to help people catch stray animals and other rescuers. these are reasons that make us angry with spca, paws.

why are we not turning to all these supposedly animal welfare organisations? i've tried taking small kittens to spca before and the first word the person uttered when she saw the small fella is pd (certainly not port dickson!). why? for the stupid reason that the fella needed to be fed every few hours and they don't have the manpower to do it. we save, save, save. spca, paws - pd, pd, pd.(certainly not short form for PAID) rescuers don't wish to send rescued animals to spca and paws knowing that it's a death sentence and possibly, hell on earth.

$$$ to feed these rescued animals comes from our pockets. sometimes, we have to live from hand to mouth ourselves but we cannot compromise the animal welfare. spca gets the funds (big fat ones!) and what do they do with it? euthanasia chemicals......wait to read more (ur ears will burn - not from the chemicals). it's big bullshit to say that spca has not enough funds. it's never enough. fundraising after fundraising, sponsors after sponsors, jumble sales, calendar sales, what else....u name it and in the name of money it's been done?

JUST IN MY AREA ALONE, DO U KNOW HOW MANY PRIVATE RESCUERS THERE ARE WHO GET HOUNDED BY NEIGHBOURS, THREATS, COMPLAINTS TO AUTHORITIES AND WHAT NOTS? Come visit us if u want to see the true situation.

furkids,

thanks for the kind words. very honestly, i'm a very reluctant rescuer but my greatest failing is that i can't stand to see suffering among animals and children. that is why, i keep rescuing and will keep on doing so. the only unpleasant thing in this 'business of rescuing' is to see other people getting the funds while we (private rescuers) have to struggle to make ends meet. but one thing is for sure, i believe in retribution. those who use money meant for animals for other purposes will get their 'reward' in due time. maybe, may have to use money for their own medical bills or their loved ones. i'm absolutely sure that i'm not the only one feeling the pinch.

BTW, does anyone know or has heard anything about a lawsuit between spca and an independent rescuer? of course, it's about money (what else, with spca?) very, very interested to hear the details. if anyone knows, please fill us in, otherwise...have to wait.

of course, i can go on and on bitching about spca but the pen is mightier than the sword. let's wait.