View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

People, PLEASE!

I go back to Blackie's sage comment: Imagine life in this area without SPCA. For just a moment, set down all your grievances with the way the agency runs, and imagine it GONE. I spent several hours at SPCA on the day I adopted my cat, and in that short time, the entry-way to the shelter had completely filled up with surrendered cats and kittens. There were 10-15 new souls there. These were not strays from feral communities, they were pets dropped off because owners couldn't or wouldn't keep them any longer. Will they be euthanized? Quite probably most of them will be. As much as that breaks my heart, I have to think it's a more humane ending than they would find if thrown out onto the streets in the absence of SPCA.

I would beg you before you write a post to ask yourself, is this constructive, or is it merely critical? Am I really doing anything to help animals by writing this post? Do I really want to drive SPCA out of business, and if not, what can I do to change it for the better? I hate to say this, but I don't think posting criticisms on Petfinder is going to end in any significant improvement, and it may do significant harm.