Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 07-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Animal Lover

Fox88 is on a distinguished road
Smile **Advice Needed** How to Train your Dog for Condominium Stay =D

Hello Everyone!

I have been seriously considering adopting a dog; but there's a small problem.... I am currently renting a unit at a condominium in Bukit Gasing PJ

To be honest - I have made up my mind in getting a medium sized dog anyway; considering the fact that there are a few occupants keeping their furry friends here too. But to do that, I will need to ensure that the pooch is comfortable and well-trained not to be an irritation to my neighbours.

That being said; I humbly seek your kind advice on raising a lovely, docile pooch in a condominium.

Here are some of the questions that I have:

1) Is there a safer/respectful way to transport dogs in/out of the condominium for a walk etc. without alerting the condo occupants? I have seen several occupants taking their pooches in the lifts... but considering that I am only renting, I do not intend to use the lift out of respect of others.

2) What is the best way to potty train your pooch (**irregardless of the dogs age). I have read countless of ways, and have deduced that the best option is to get the dog a cage. Any ideas?

3)Have any of you encountered occasions whereby your pup/dog suddenly goes into a barking frenzy? I am looking at docile dogs: but you may never know when they just go ballistic <lol>. What would you do in situations such as these? What is the best way to train a dog to become passive/docile?

4) I live alone (the whole unit to myself), and have a night shift job (3.30-4am). During that time, is there any way that I can ensure my dogs comfort and worse of all - ensure that he/she does not create a ruckus that would raise suspicions?

These are a few of the questions bugging me - especially in my decision making of getting a furry partner. I am from Alor Star; living alone in a condo-unit; with a stressful night-shift at a bank. I am in dire need of a furry-friend to just be there in time of need....and so I look up to all of you for your kind support to educate me with raising a dog in a condominium.

P/S I believe I have already found "my furry Friend" on this petfinder website - hoping and praying she is still available though! :3

I look forward for your kind assistance and support!

Best regards,
A Dog Lover
Old 12-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Animal Lover

Acanthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: **Advice Needed** How to Train your Dog for Condominium Stay =D

Hey Fox!! I'm looking to do the same thing as you are, but I haven't even rented my own place yet...

Did you find the answers to your questions? Have you gotten your furry friend yet??
Old 12-24-2016, 01:19 AM
Animal Lover

Sirius is on a distinguished road

Hello, some answers below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox88 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I have been seriously considering adopting a dog; but there's a small problem.... I am currently renting a unit at a condominium in Bukit Gasing PJ

To be honest - I have made up my mind in getting a medium sized dog anyway; considering the fact that there are a few occupants keeping their furry friends here too. But to do that, I will need to ensure that the pooch is comfortable and well-trained not to be an irritation to my neighbours.

That being said; I humbly seek your kind advice on raising a lovely, docile pooch in a condominium.

Here are some of the questions that I have:

1) Is there a safer/respectful way to transport dogs in/out of the condominium for a walk etc. without alerting the condo occupants? I have seen several occupants taking their pooches in the lifts... but considering that I am only renting, I do not intend to use the lift out of respect of others.

Answer: Pram. Really, I had a neighbour do this, and it makes sense. Not only will it ensure that the dog does not touch the floor, it will reassure neighbours who are frightened of dogs ( that it will lick them, sniff them etc). Usually you can pull the hood so only the curious will want to see it. Placing your dog in a pram puts it in an easy to move, socially acceptable 'cage'

2) What is the best way to potty train your pooch (**irregardless of the dogs age). I have read countless of ways, and have deduced that the best option is to get the dog a cage. Any ideas?
Answer: Newspapers. Always leave one with its scent of its droppings.

3)Have any of you encountered occasions whereby your pup/dog suddenly goes into a barking frenzy? I am looking at docile dogs: but you may never know when they just go ballistic <lol>. What would you do in situations such as these? What is the best way to train a dog to become passive/docile?
Answer: Sad answer is to debark but that is cruel and terrible, but maybe perhaps you would consider and search for a dog that is debarked and needs a loving home? Barking dogs can be caused by boredom / frustration too....perhaps an older dog will be more content

4) I live alone (the whole unit to myself), and have a night shift job (3.30-4am). During that time, is there any way that I can ensure my dogs comfort and worse of all - ensure that he/she does not create a ruckus that would raise suspicions?
Answer: TV/ Radio on. Or maybe dog-share? Thank you for considering adoption, I live alone in an apt that is dog-friendly too but I am nervous abt getting a doggy, been considering an older, sleepier one so they are content to doze and be cuddled

Good luck

These are a few of the questions bugging me - especially in my decision making of getting a furry partner. I am from Alor Star; living alone in a condo-unit; with a stressful night-shift at a bank. I am in dire need of a furry-friend to just be there in time of need....and so I look up to all of you for your kind support to educate me with raising a dog in a condominium.

P/S I believe I have already found "my furry Friend" on this petfinder website - hoping and praying she is still available though! :3

I look forward for your kind assistance and support!

Best regards,
A Dog Lover
Old 12-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Animal Lover

Kath is on a distinguished road

Hi Fox88

I am living in an apartment alone with my furkid Benji I adopted from PetFinder one month ago (thank you PetFinder!).

He has been through few owners hence we are still struggling with separation anxiety. Other than this he's a lovely fella. Pray hard that we will overcome it soon. Hopefully improve with time, trust and after neuter in January.

I transport/smuggle him around inside a bag and we use the service lift to go up to the apartment. Sometimes if there are other occupants in the lift we will wait and take the next one.

To overcome the barking it will take sometime and lots of patience. First few days are the hardest but it can be done. Check the internet for Ceasar Millan's instructions. I find them useful and works.

I also find that if you exercise and play with your furkid enough, they should be tire and happily fall asleep most of the time. I am looking forward to my first hike at Gasing Hill with him.

Wishing you a wonderful new journey with your furkid.