Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Health Benefits of Neutering/Spaying Cats

Taken from: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4516.asp

Benefits of Spaying and Neutering Cats

The most important benefit of spaying or neutering your cat is helping decrease the problem of feline overpopulation. There are also several behavioral and health benefits to getting your cat spayed or neutered.

Benefits of Spaying Female Cats

No heat cycles. Your female cat will not experience the feelings of irritability and nervousness associated with the heat cycle. Keeping a cat inside during her heat cycle causes anxiety and frustration from not being able to mate. This can lead to stress for both your cat and you. Female cats come into heat several times each year and the heat cycle lasts anywhere from 3 to 16 days. During a heat cycle your cat might display behaviors such as howling or crying excessively, rubbing up against objects, people or other animals, raising her tail and possibly spraying urine. A cat in heat also might try to get outside in search of an available male. This can lead to an increase in injury and exposure to disease.

No pregnancies or pregnancy complications. Spaying permanently eliminates possible complications associated with pregnancy such as physical stress and caesarian section deliveries. Spaying also eliminates the risk of false pregnancies, which increase with a cat’s age.

Risk of mammary gland tumors is greatly reduced. Risk is lowest if a cat is spayed before her first heat cycle. Mammary gland tumors are malignant over 80% of the time in cats. Mammary cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in cats. Spaying your cat reduces her risk of developing mammary cancer by 40-60%.

No uterine infections, ovarian cancer or uterine cancer. The risk of uterine infections in female cats that are not spayed increases with age and can be life threatening. Ovarian and uterine cancers are not common in cats, but can occur in females that are not spayed.

Benefits of Neutering Male Cats

Risk of spraying or territorial marking is reduced or eliminated. This is especially good if your male cat is an indoor cat. Neutering your cat can lessen his tendency to spray urine 90%.

Decreases desire to roam. If your male cat is not neutered and is outdoors, he is more likely to wander in search of a female in heat. This behavior can result in more injuries incurred through fights and automobile accidents. Your cat will be at a greater risk of encountering and contracting FIV (feline AIDS), FeLV (feline leukemia), Rabies and other infectious diseases. A higher risk of injury or disease can shorten your cat's lifespan.

Reduces the risk of testicular tumors and cancer. Testicular tumors in cats are, however, rare.

Decreases aggressive behavior and stress. When male cats living outside are not neutered they are more likely to roam, defend their territory and engage in fighting. Testosterone significantly affects aggression in male cats. An adult neutered male is generally less aggressive toward other cats.

Spaying and neutering reduces the number of unwanted pregnancies, which reduces the number of unwanted kittens. This aids in the problem of overpopulation. Spaying and neutering also helps your cat live a healthier, longer life.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 AM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Health Benefits of Neutering/Spaying Cats

Taken from: http://www.i-love-cats.com/Health/spay.htm

What is Spaying?

A spay (ovariohysterectomy) is the surgical removal of the uterus and ovaries from the abdomen of an animal.

What is the purpose of spaying?

The spay is the only foolproof method of birth control for female cats, and it is a permanent method.

Will spaying eliminate heat cycles?

Spayed animal no longer goes through heat cycles. Female cats normally come into heat several times a year. Spaying ends several problems associated with the heat cycle, including spraying urine and the necessity of confining females to prevent the approaches of persistent males. Spaying also prevents such irritations as a howling cat in heat.

Are there other good reasons for spaying?

The risk of mammary cancer is reduced if a cat is spayed before its first heat. Also spayed pets cannot develop pyometra, a serious uterine infection. Finally, difficult pregnancy and delivery in older cats or ill cats is prevented.

Do cats gain weight after spaying?

Your cat will not gain weight, if you provide a balanced diet and encourage regular exercise.

Should cats have at least one litter before being spayed?

No. Your cat does not need to have a litter of kittens to mature.

What is Neutering?

Neutering (castration) is the surgical removal of the testicles from the scrotum of an animal.

What is the purpose of neutering?

Neutering is the primary method of sterilizing male cats.

What are other benefits of neutering?

Neutering an immature cat usually prevents development of mating behavior and the obnoxious habit of spraying urine to mark territory around the house and yard.

An unneutered cat cannot control its mating instincts. Given freedom to wander, such an animal may become hurt or lost, and is almost certain to be responsible for unwanted litters. Humane societies cannot place all unwanted animals; millions must be put to sleep. Countless others are abandoned.

See your veterinarian!

Discuss your questions about breeding and birth control with your veterinarian.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:41 AM
PetFinder Guru

Taken from: http://www.foxvalleypets.org/cats/?details=28&page=678

Health Benefits
Spaying or neutering your pet eliminates or reduces a wide variety of health problems that can be very difficult and expensive to treat. Females no longer have to go through heat cycles and the health- and behavior-related problems that accompany them. Males are no longer controlled by their hormones, reducing aggressive behavior and the tendency to roam. But most importantly, spaying and neutering eliminates or reduces many types of cancer, tumors and other serious health complications. The simple fact is that altered pets generally live longer, healthier lives.

At the same time, pets that carry harmful genetic traits such as hip dysplasia or epilepsy should be neutered to prevent the spread or continuation of these conditions and others like them.

Fewer Injuries and Infections
Since sterilized animals no longer feel the need to roam to look for a mate, they have less chance of being involved in bloody fights that leave them with scars on their faces or missing parts of their ears and tails. They also avoid traumatic accidents such as being hit by a car. At the same time, the threat of abscesses caused by bites, infections and diseases transmitted by fighting and other contagious diseases are greatly reduced—allowing you to avoid expensive veterinary bills.

Fewer Diseases and Other Health Problems
After euthanasia, cancer is the number one killer of cats and dogs. It is very common for veterinarians to see unaltered pets for infections, conditions and diseases that are caused primarily by repeated surges of hormones.

MALES
Statistics prove that neutered males are healthier pets. Many diseases and health problems are caused by the effects of testosterone, a hormone produced in the testicles. By removing the source of testosterone, neutering reduces and eliminates the risks of many cancers and other hormone-related medical conditions. None of the behavioral or medical problems caused by testosterone are rare. Veterinarians deal with them on a daily basis.

Neutering eliminates the chances of developing:
• Testicular tumors and cancer. Testicular cancer is the second most frequently diagnosed cancer in older intact male dogs. There are several types of tumors, both benign and malignant, that can arise within the testicles.

Neutering greatly decreases the chances of developing:
• Prostatic disease. Over 80% of all unneutered male dogs develop prostate disease.
• Infections and disorders of the prostate glands. Prostate conditions such as prostate enlargement, cysts, and infection are all related to the presence of testosterone.
• Perianal tumors—These are tumors whose growth is stimulated by testosterone these are commonly observed in older, unaltered dogs. Perianal gland cancer is the third most frequently diagnosed cancer in older intact male dogs.
• Serious types of hernias. These are commonly observed in older, unaltered dogs and can occur on either or both sides of the anus. One of the long-term effects of testosterone causes the group of muscles near the anus to weaken or atrophy. The surgery to repair hernia complications can range from $300 to $1500, depending on the severity.
• nfections and disorders of the prepuce (the outer covering of the penis).

FEMALES
Spayed females are happier, healthier pets. The more heat cycles an unspayed pet goes through, the more susceptible she is to serious diseases. During an ovariohysterectomy (spaying), the uterus and ovaries are removed, ensuring that the hormones that cause health- and behavior-related problems are no longer produced. At the same time, many cancers, tumors and other medical conditions are reduced or eliminated.

Spaying eliminates the chances of developing:
• Pyometra. Pyometra is a serious and potentially fatal infection of the uterus experienced by many unspayed cats and dogs. If it is left untreated, your pet will most likely die.
• Ovarian cancer, cysts and infections. Ovarian cancer is a common occurrence in unaltered females.
• Uterine cancer and uterine infections. These are common occurrences in unaltered female dogs and cats, especially older pets.
• Acute metritis (infected uterus). This can be potentially fatal if not treated in time.
• Difficult pregnancy and delivery. This is common in older and ill cats.
• Pseudopregnancies. Some females go through a false pregnancy every time they come into heat.

Spaying greatly decreases the chances of developing:
• Breast cancer and tumors. The rate goes down to almost zero if the spay is done before the first heat cycle. Breast cancer is the most common malignant tumor in dogs, and the third most common cancer in cats. The chances of a female dog reaching 10 years of age without developing this potentially fatal tumor is less than 11% in some breeds with normal hormone production.
• Tumors of the reproductive system.
• Mammary cancer. Mammary cancer is very common in older unspayed females, and is the most common cancer to spread to the lungs.
• Mastitis (infection of the mammary glands). This can be potentially fatal if not treated in time.
• Mammary tumors. Unspayed females have about a 7 times greater chance of getting mammary tumors.
• False pregnancies.
• Certain skin conditions related to hormonal imbalances.
• Hair loss. The hair coat on many dogs suffers because of estrogen surges that occur with heat cycles or whelping. Their coats appear thin and the underlying skin is exposed in many areas. It can take 2 to 4 months for the hair to return to normal.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

OIIIII PEPPPOOOLLL READ THIS UP OIIII READD UPPP.. FINISH READING LAA.. read already brain matter will increase. muehehe.. good post lynie.. purrfect.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:53 AM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing Lynielime,
My yaya already neutered, he is now a new person/cat I mean...hehe
behaving so much better than before. he is more like a 'girl' now
Now I am thinking if adam should be neutered too.
He has now started to make noise, especially at night. meow meow meow
I cant sleep sometimes...
Old 12-26-2008, 09:23 AM
PetFinder Guru

your cat's name is adam!! my boyfriend's name is also adam

i agree with you on the behavior change in cats after neutering/spaying.. my cats became super super manja with me and with each other.. no fighting and no territorial wee wee and no crazy desperate meowing
Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
your cat's name is adam!! my boyfriend's name is also adam

i agree with you on the behavior change in cats after neutering/spaying.. my cats became super super manja with me and with each other.. no fighting and no territorial wee wee and no crazy desperate meowing
OIC....same name arr....
I sometimes consider adam is my 'boyfriend' also....
he is very possessive ....follows me around the house and very generous with his purrsss. I should have named him 'purrbox' instead. hahaha

You know Lynie, I took adam to one vet in damansara....
it was for his regular deworming...at the same time I asked the vet ...
how much is castration fee if I were to get him neutered ?
He said no.....dont castrate him. He is very nice and round. good for breeding.
I went home thinking of the vet's a little 'unusual' opinion....
he should be supporting the idea....not against it right....?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
You know Lynie, I took adam to one vet in damansara....
it was for his regular deworming...at the same time I asked the vet ...
how much is castration fee if I were to get him neutered ?
He said no.....dont castrate him. He is very nice and round. good for breeding.
I went home thinking of the vet's a little 'unusual' opinion....
he should be supporting the idea....not against it right....?
that vet sounds unethical. he isn't looking out for the best interest and longterm welfare of the species as a whole.. what a moron. that's not the kind of advice a professional veterinarian should be giving people. sad...