Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Animal Lover

n_ann86 is on a distinguished road
Default to spay my new adopted female dog

3 months ago, my mum save a pregnant, injured female dog. She had gave birth and all her puppies had been adopted 2 weeks ago. She is now recovered and we are keeping her as she is a good dog. We want to spay her but she is quite big and she refused to get into the car when we want to take her to hospital to spay her, had happened 3 times already. Anyone can help me by giving me some advise on how to take her to spay or recommend me a clinic or hospital in Taiping, Perak? If can, can you please tell me how much is it to spay her. The private clinic wants to charge us RM350.00 and the hospitalis RM100.00.

But my main concern is how to take her to go spay.

Please help me and thank you
Old 10-25-2011, 12:14 AM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: to spay my new adopted female dog

You can bribe her with treats to go in to a cage. After she has went in, you can carry the cage to the care. I hope you will find it helpful :)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road

I think your dog is affraid of getting into the car rather than going to the hospital for spaying.
I don't know exactly how did you lead her into the car. Sometime is the expereice that caused them the fear of getting into the car.
For a start, practise just getting into the car without actually bringing her any wherer.
You can try this

1) Bring her out for a walk out side your house for 10 to 15 min first. Get your car ready for the practice. (Open the car door before she comes back from the walk). Lead her into the car immediately after the walk without hesitation. Take out the previous image of her refusing to get in. Project she will get in without much problem.
2) Another way, lure her with treat. Do not give her. Just to lure her. Then you go into the car where she suppose to stay. You stay inside to invite her in (I assume she has no problem getting into the car on her own. Some dog can't get into the car without assistance, like mine). If she is not interested at all then quit this practise.

Let me knwo the result. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Animal Lover

n_ann86 is on a distinguished road

Thanks..I did not put lead on her as she always avoid me when I tried to put the collar on her..I don't know will this be because of her previous owner or not. I always try to lure her into the car with threats but she just don't buy this. I think she knew that I tried to lure her into the car. I did not put her on lead when I walk her. When we go for a walk, she will walk either beside us or behind us. She never want to wear the collar and been pull by a lead.

Regarding the cage, she is too big to be put into the cage and I never put her in cage as she likes freedom, don't like being locked up.

Can someone help me? I am helpless here. Just don't know how to bring her to the hospital or clinic to spay.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road

Oh. You even have problem putting a collar or leash on her. So you need to solve this first. Putting a leash or collar does not harm your dog. You will not hurt her feeling as long as you are able to relate it as something good for her. You need put her on leash when ever to bring her to other places like the Vet's clinic. You need to have full control of her. This is the respnsibility of a dog owner regardless whether she is a calm or aggressive dog.
Have you ever watch the show The Dog Whisperer by Cesar Milan?
Astro National Geographic channel was showing it on Wednesday but the week they stop, not sure why.
Anyway, I have total 7 seasons of the shows with more than 120 episodes. You will see how he solve all kinds of dog behavior problem. Youwill definately become a better dog owners by understanding dog psycology.
PM if you are interested. I have shared with more than 16 members from this forum so far. Their feedback is excellence.
since your dog was a stray before that is the reason why she is not used to the leash or collar.
Here is some idea. First you play with her the collar or leash. Let her smell the object first without trying to put on her. When she come forward to smell the object you pet her and praise her for just smelling. With that she will associate good feeling with the collar or leash. Once she is confortable with the object then you try to put it on.
Another way I learned from the show is to move toward her with calm and assertive energy. Until she surrender to you and you put the leash or collar on her. Remember to wait until she surrendered. (She lower her head and stay). DO NOT FORCE HER TO WEAR TO COLLAR OF LEASH!
This method might test your patience and how determine are you to achieve the ultimate objective (to put her into the car).
You have to put all these small steps together once at a time. The dog comes to your life with purpose. To train you to become a better person. (patience and loving).
Good Luck to You! Rememer to stay in a calm and asseertive energy all the time when dealing with your dog.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

That is a good advice from Feltan. You can also try this method, when she eat, you slowly put on the collar. Then take it out once she finish eating. You can also play with her and then make her forget about the collar that is in her neck. She will slowly get used to it :)