Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 10-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road
Talking Dog Food

i just would like to know ...about dog food

my uncle used to have dogs

the dogs all not those pure breed, champion blood or whatsoever

he will normally feed with rice + meat

is it normal? or dogs has to have a special diet as in dog food?

are dog food are like snacks or daily basic?

what about a pure breed for eg let say golden retriever haha
can i feed him with rice and meat

i still remember last time my grandmother used to tell me
finish up the chicken bones or whatsoever bones
then leave it a side - she will mix with the rice and give the blackie (the huge black mongrel that makes my grandmother drop on the floor long time ago - when he came running from the kitchen to the porch) hahaha
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dog Food

Hi vivien,

Let me answer your queries here. All dogs are the same. They are still dogs no matter pedigree or mongrels. Same goes to human no matter what race or mixed race we are still humans. So no matter what you feed them they will still eat and won't die of starvation. Rice and meat is better than any kibbles in the world. The best food to feed is raw meat and bones but there must be a balance. I will soon post up and article on raw feeding. Let me know if you have any queries.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:52 AM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I feed my doggies chic + rice, or meat + rice every day. But i also fed them daily vitamin to let them lives healthier. Just in case they lacks vitamins.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsyen View Post
Hi vivien,

Let me answer your queries here. All dogs are the same. They are still dogs no matter pedigree or mongrels. Same goes to human no matter what race or mixed race we are still humans. So no matter what you feed them they will still eat and won't die of starvation. Rice and meat is better than any kibbles in the world. The best food to feed is raw meat and bones but there must be a balance. I will soon post up and article on raw feeding. Let me know if you have any queries.
thanks for the info...yeah because i do see ppl feeding their dogs with rice and meat...instead of those pedigree food ..just curious :)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Animal Lover

nanapatrick is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Dog Food

my dog is so choosy abt her food....i've been feeding her bil-jac and so far that's the only food she would take....no other brand will do...and she doesnt eat rice....its so difficult to find bil-jac in ampang....can anyone tell me where i can get bil-jac?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanapatrick View Post
my dog is so choosy abt her food....i've been feeding her bil-jac and so far that's the only food she would take....no other brand will do...and she doesnt eat rice....its so difficult to find bil-jac in ampang....can anyone tell me where i can get bil-jac?
i've seen bil-jac at the hartamas veterinary clinic and winners pet plaza in taman tun.

my dogs are picky eaters too.. i used to feed them eagle pack holistics select, but they were not enthusiastic about it even when it was mixed with meat.. they're doing fine now on a combination of acana kibbles and meat..
Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

is it due to the taste........ or quality..
so indirectly.........individual dog has a different taste when comes to food?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 AM
Animal Lover

miket is on a distinguished road

Hi Vivien,

Perhaps you would like to rephrase your questions. So far, I get that you are asking about dog nutrition. That's about all I understood from your posts.

If that's what you'd like to know, here is some info on raw feeding:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_feeding
http://drianbillinghurst.com/

If you can read English, here's a link to an e-book (pdf) on Canine Nutrition:
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/main.html

As for subjectivity of tastes, yes, perhaps. But dogs are not humans, they don't have a preference. They just have what you conditioned them to eat.

Also, be careful of anthropocentrism (assuming that the animal see things from a human viewpoint).
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

miket,

not really into nutrition but basically food for dogs in natural..
what do owner feed their dog with.....

some with dog food all the way
some mixture
some just from raw

i never have one yet at the moment probably in future
so i like to know.... in depth of dog owners giving food to their dogs from pup to adult size
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienlpl View Post
miket,

not really into nutrition but basically food for dogs in natural..
what do owner feed their dog with.....

... so i like to know.... in depth of dog owners giving food to their dogs from pup to adult size
Hi Vivien

I don't see how nutrition is separate from "food for dogs". In fact, nutrients is what dogs need, food is just the instrument/vehicle to transport the specific nutrients into the dogs digestive tract.

Let me put this another way.

Dogs have requirements for specific nutrients rather than particular foods and provided these needs are met, the type of food (kibbles, fresh raw, cooked or mixture of these) is not relevant. In other words, the nutrients in the food you give to your dog is what really matters to the dog. I suppose I am asking you to understand the distinction between the form and function of canine nutrition. If you can do this, you're well on your way.

Dr Ian Billinghurst is a pioneer in raw-food feeding. His site will explain why he prefers raw food, as well as what to feed and how to do it.

The e-book I refer to is pretty much the same info with some exceptions. It is an entire book. Also, it has more info about the problems you find in 99% of all the prepared petfood (kibbles from Eukanuba, Science Diet, Nature's Way, etc.).

I'm assuming you have not read the links I provided! It would be best if you do that, then you would understand the real problem in canine nutrition today.

Essentially, the prepared dogfood market provides grain-based diet. Minimal proteins (of the right kind), fats, minerals and vitamins. Although they always label it 'complete' or 'balanced', it is NOT complete nor balanced diet for dogs. It is deficient in nutrients because, like I said, it is mainly grain-based.

Finally, as for what other owners feed their dogs, I cannot speak for them. Suffice to say, it should not be relevant to YOU in what YOU FEED TO YOUR DOG. Unless, of course, the other owners do understand canine nutrition. So, I suppose the more relevant question is when you ask for opinions, are they qualified or knowledgable enough to speak intelligently about canine nutrition. Some might well be, others not.

My opinion on canine nutrition? If you don't buy dogs from pet-mills, why feed grain-based diets from fraudulent manufacturers?

Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

thanks for the info...very informative....
yeah i pretty guess in term what you food nutrient one give to their pet owner..

There are so many brands/type of dog food out there

from pup to adults...of course one look as a starter - you are not to sure what is good for your dog...of course you can get advise from seller/shop - it is good to know..

for eg today i came across a lady who bought one whole bag of dog food - not to sure about the brand - it is yellow packing.. she was grumbling to the cashier that her dog eats once that's it the whole bag goes into the rubbish bin..

how to prevent or how to tell what is need for feeding your dog the right food/nutrient.

so i created this thread seeing what dog owners feed their pets with :)
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienlpl View Post
thanks for the info...very informative....

...how to prevent or how to tell what is need for feeding your dog the right food/nutrient.
Informative but not useful until you read the ebook. Link is above.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Feeding my rottie Nutra Gold but looking to change to Innova or Evo if I can find them :)
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM
PetFinder Buddy

monkee94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to monkee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsyen View Post
Hi vivien,

So its ok to feed dogs meat and rice only???What about puppies??
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

It is ok to feed them but it's not good enough. They won't have enough supplements and so on. Kibbles are considered processed food. So you decide on what to feed your dog.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:47 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Feed puppy the dog food that is nutritionally complete and balanced. The basic Nutritional needs Proteins, Carbohydrates, Minerals, Fats, vitamins.
Puppy foods should contain about 25 percent protein. You will see stated on the bag of food you buy.
Beside that Water is the single most important nutrient.Here just very basic of puppy Nutritional needs.
MySelf member of Petfood Industry USA. Many news about pet food information to know.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Feed puppy the dog food that is nutritionally complete and balanced. The basic Nutritional needs Proteins, Carbohydrates, Minerals, Fats, vitamins.
Puppy foods should contain about 25 percent protein. You will see stated on the bag of food you buy.
Beside that Water is the single most important nutrient.Here just very basic of puppy Nutritional needs.
MySelf member of Petfood Industry USA. Many news about pet food information to know.
hmm...so I should feed puppies kibbles only to ensure a balanced diet??
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Myself was feed puppies kibbles for my 3 dogs since years ago. I didn't see have any problem.
One more thing always I found up local pet shop or vet introduced those brand to dog owner, they just want sell the products carry by them. you can search internet for dog food information or oversea dog magazine, before you order the brand you select. No all the expensive dog food is good, no all the lower cost dog food is bad. People always keep tell you good or bad. They probable poor knowledge for nutrition.
I was read from the Bark magazine,the article of pet food nutrition. the Marion Nestle,PhD MPH is the paulettle Goddard professor of nutrition. another one Malden Nesheim Phd, is professor and provost emeritus of Cornell University. have discuss about it.you can read the later book What to Eat and her next., Pet food Politics.
Do you know Treats can be doggie junk food, Watch out for calories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
hmm...so I should feed puppies kibbles only to ensure a balanced diet??

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:34 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Myself was feed puppies kibbles for my 3 dogs since years ago. I didn't see have any problem.
One more thing always I found up local pet shop or vet introduced those brand to dog owner, they just want sell the products carry by them. you can search internet for dog food information or oversea dog magazine, before you order the brand you select. No all the expensive dog food is good, no all the lower cost dog food is bad. People always keep tell you good or bad. They probable poor knowledge for nutrition.
I was read from the Bark magazine,the article of pet food nutrition. the Marion Nestle,PhD MPH is the paulettle Goddard professor of nutrition. another one Malden Nesheim Phd, is professor and provost emeritus of Cornell University. have discuss about it.you can read the later book What to Eat and her next., Pet food Politics
Do you know Treats can be doggie junk food, Watch out for calories!

i dont really understand what you said there...could you rephrase please?Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:48 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
i dont really understand what you said there...could you rephrase please?Thanks.
they are author for pet food nutrition.