Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Spaying/Neutering Your Pet

Why Spay or Neuter Your Pet?

Spaying is a general term used to describe the ovariohysterectomy of a female animal. Neutering is a general term used to describe the castration of a male animal. However, neutering is used in reference to both genders. The surgical procedure, performed by a veterinarian, renders the animal incapable of reproducing. Here are answers to some questions you may have about this beneficial procedure.

When can I have this procedure done?
Both procedures can be performed as early as six weeks of age. American Humane is a strong proponet of "early" neutering since this guarantees that the animals will not be able to breed and populate within a community.

Why should I have my pet neutered?
Animal shelters, both public and private, unfortunately are faced with an incredible burden: What to do with the overpopulation of dogs and cats that they cannot find homes for. Estimates across the country indicate that over 10 million animals will be humanely euthanized at shelters each year, due to the sheer fact that there are not enough homes. Having your pet neutered ensures that you will not be adding to this tremendous burden.

What are some of the health benefits?
Through neutering, you can help your dog and cat live a happier, healthier, and longer life. Spaying eliminates the constant crying and nervous pacing that is a sign that a cat is in heat. Castration stops the mating drive in males, reducing the urge to roam, which in turn, reduces the risk of fights, injury, poisoning, accidents, and contracting diseases. If you have more than one pet in your household, all the pets will get along better if they are neutered. A long-term benefit of neutering is improved health. Early neutering nearly eliminates breast cancer, and totally prevents uterine infections and uterine and testicular cancer.

Isn't it true that you only need to "fix" female dogs or cats?
Absolutely not! A male animal can father thousands of offspring in his lifetime. Roaming tomcats fighting other cats are a neighborhood nuisance and are prone to develop infections and abscesses from their fighting. An intact male may also develop the bad habit of marking its territory by urine marking.

Neutering just costs too much!
The cost of caring for a pet, including providing veterinary care, should be considered before acquiring an animal. If you would like to provide a good home for a pet, but cannot pay for the neuter, call your local animal shelter. They will be happy to provide information on low-cost neutering. The costs of having a litter are often more than the cost of neutering. There could be complications requiring hospitalization or surgery. You will be faced with finding homes or keeping the offspring yourself or placing more animals into your local shelter. The cost of the well-being of not just your companion animal but of future generations should be considered.

Can't I allow my purebred dog to have just one litter?
Mixed breed or purebred -- there just aren't enough homes. Animal shelters receive purebred animals everyday. Responsible purebred breeders have homes for their dogs before they are born.

I don't even own a pet! Why is this my problem?
All of us are affected by animal overpopulation. Millions of tax dollars are spent annually to round up lost, abandoned, and unwanted pets. Much of that money is spent to destroy these animals when homes cannot be found. Health is threatened by the danger of transmittable diseases, including rabies, animal bites, and attacks. Property may be damaged and livestock killed when pets roam in search of food. Animal waste, proving a serious environment hazard, foul yards and parks. It is only when all of us assume the responsibility for pet overpopulation that we will see any decrease in the problem.

Isn't it wrong to deprive an animal of the natural right to reproduce?
No, it's wrong to allow these animals to reproduce millions of unwanted offspring that are eventually killed because there aren't enough responsible homes.

If I find homes for my pets' litters then I won't contribute to the problem, right?
Wrong. Only a certain number of people want pets. So every home you find for your pet's offspring takes away a home from a loving animal already at a shelter.

Shouldn't every female pet have at least one litter before being spayed?
No. In fact, your pet will be healthier if she never sexually matures. Her personality will not improve either. She is just as likely to become less social and more aggressive after having a litter, as she is to become calmer and gentler.

Shouldn't children experience the miracle of birth?
No. A more important lesson to teach your child would be responsible pet ownership and concern for life by explaining why their pet should not have babies.

Doesn't neutering alter an animal's personality?
No. Personality changes that may result from neutering are for the better. Not being distracted by the instinctual need to find a mate helps your pet stop roaming and become calmer; though not less protective of their territory.

Won't animal shelters take care of the surplus animals?
No. Shelters do their best to place animals in loving homes, but the number of homeless animals far exceeds the number of available homes. This leaves many loving and healthy animals in our community that must be euthanized as the only humane solution to this tragic dilemma. Only spaying and neutering can end the overpopulation problem.

[Source: AmericanHumane.org ]
Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Petfinder Lifetime Member

kairul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kairul Send a message via Skype™ to kairul
Default Re: Spaying/Neutering Your Pet

I support spaying/neutering 100%!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
PetFinder Buddy

abuldotcom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairul View Post
I support spaying/neutering 100%!
hurmmmm well, i dont actually......

i'm not saying spaying/ neutering is not good.... but if you are capable like aunty maimunah, having 42 cats ,still living good and kicking, why bother. if you are not, then spaying/neutering will be the best way, right?

there is a thread, (I'm not sure which one), comparing human life and cat ratio, and i will neutering my cat when the times has come....... or when i cant take any more cats under my dependant....

i hope this wont create a chaos.. hehhee
Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Spaying/Neutering Your Pet

No,it won't create any chaos but just want to point out 1 important issue for you to ponder.

If you have space,money & time for 42 cats, that is good already. Meaning you can save as many strays as possible by not breeding anymore cats in your care. You are giving the strays chance to live rather than waiting to be pts in the shelter,run over by a car,starve to death and the list goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuldotcom View Post
hurmmmm well, i dont actually......

i'm not saying spaying/ neutering is not good.... but if you are capable like aunty maimunah, having 42 cats ,still living good and kicking, why bother. if you are not, then spaying/neutering will be the best way, right?

there is a thread, (I'm not sure which one), comparing human life and cat ratio, and i will neutering my cat when the times has come....... or when i cant take any more cats under my dependant....

i hope this wont create a chaos.. hehhee
Old 12-21-2009, 02:19 PM
PetFinder Buddy

tu la sy kata, kalau mampu, ok la.....

kalau tak, the best way is to neutered your cat la... kan..
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Spaying/Neutering Your Pet

Abul,yg akak tekankan kat sini bukan soal mampu ke tak.tp soal memberi peluang kpd strays yg lain peluang utk hidup.maksudnya klu kita neuter our cats yg dah ada,durang takkan beranak lg.so kita ada ruang utk amik strays utk dipelihara.kasih peluang utk durang hidup dari merempat kat jalan,put to sleep kat shelter atau mati dilanggar kereta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuldotcom View Post
tu la sy kata, kalau mampu, ok la.....

kalau tak, the best way is to neutered your cat la... kan..
Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 AM
PetFinder Buddy

betu la tu kak, agreed.....

but sekarang tak dapat nak bagi point lagi la.... masa sangat singkat, takdapat nak mengarang depan bos, hehehehe next time sy sambung.... heheheh

peringatan: ini adalah hanya sebagai pemberian pendapat, tiada kesalahan dalam pemberian pendapat masing2.....
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Petfinder Lifetime Member

kairul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kairul Send a message via Skype™ to kairul
Talking Re: Spaying/Neutering Your Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Abul,yg akak tekankan kat sini bukan soal mampu ke tak.tp soal memberi peluang kpd strays yg lain peluang utk hidup.maksudnya klu kita neuter our cats yg dah ada,durang takkan beranak lg.so kita ada ruang utk amik strays utk dipelihara.kasih peluang utk durang hidup dari merempat kat jalan,put to sleep kat shelter atau mati dilanggar kereta.
Saya setuju dgn statement ni. Bg saya, bile neuter, die takleh reproduce n ada chances yg haiwan kt shelter even kt petfinder ni akan diadopt... kalo xneuter/spay, kucing atau anjing akan reproduce, pastu bile dah byk, honestly, tendency utk buang diorg mesti ada...kn? this is not a mere assumption tp mmg ini la hakikat kite sbg manusia.. bile dah byk, jd leceh, mesti terdetik walaupun sekelumit yg kite sbnanya da xlrat nk jaga sbb da bnyk.

pastu da la kucing yg branak byk tu dibuangnya, yg kt shelter plak tertunggu2 tuan bru diorg... just an opinion utk sumer org ponder...

nway, pg td saya da neuter dexter kt klinik kembiri dbkl-spca...alhamdulillah, semuanya berjalan lncar... ;D

Last edited by kairul; 12-23-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 AM
PetFinder Buddy

alamak...... kalah kalah kalah................

jangan kena banned sudehhhh
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 AM
Animal Lover

missfinn is on a distinguished road

I have 18 cats- 16 were neutered/spayed. lagi 2 baru dapat - 1 orang buang, 1 adopt dari SPCA. too small to be neutered. Niat saya untuk memberi yang terbaik untuk kucing2 itu as well as giving chances for other cats outside there. So, yes, I support it.

*finn*
Old 08-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Animal Lover

vendetta is on a distinguished road

By spaying or neutering your pet, you’ll help control the pet homelessness crisis, which results in millions of healthy dogs and cats being euthanized in the United States each year simply because there aren’t enough homes to go around. There are also medical and behavioral benefits to spaying (female pets) and neutering (male pets) your animals.

Your female pet will live a longer, healthier life. Spaying helps prevent uterine infections and breast tumors, which are malignant or cancerous in about 50 percent of dogs and 90 percent of cats. Spaying your pet before her first heat offers the best protection from these diseases.
Neutering your male companion prevents testicular cancer and some prostate problems.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/genera...euter-your-pet