Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Latest News & Happenings > Events

Events Latest happenings and events pertaining to pets and animal welfare

Old 10-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Thumbs up PetFinder.my - World Animal Day, KL Tower - Nov 2

Dear People,

The next fun PetFinder.my event will be coming on Nov 2nd, 2008!

SPCA will be organizing the Largest World Animal Day Event in Malaysia:

SPCA - KL Tower World Animal Day
Join us at our biggest WAD event yet! Thanks to the good folks at KL Tower, we will be launching our Animals Matter To Me campaign at this event - while celebrating World Animal Day, KL Tower's 11th Anniversary and SPCA's 50th Anniversary!

SPCA - KL Tower World Animal Day
Date: Sunday, 2nd November 2008
Time: 12pm-6pm
Venue: KL Tower Terrace (Menara KL)

Activities & Highlights:

• Puppy.com.my Dog Agility, Obedience & Protection Demo
  • Animals For Adoption (SPCA & PAWS)
  • Launch of Animals Matter To Me Campaign by Minister
  • NGO/ Government Dept Booths (Department of Veterinary Services Malaysia, WWF, TRAFFIC, MyCat, etc)
  • Animal Village (Purina, Rhone Ma, Addiction, The Barkery, Jaafar Taib Wildlife Paintings, Suzy's Stone Paintings, Petster Magazine, petfinder.my, puppy.com.my, "Aesops Fables" Gardner & Wife, Perdana Graphics, Yusoff Gajah, Petalogue, Style Essentials Grooming)
  • "Artists For Animals" Performances (Twilight Action Girl, Hunny Madu, Phlowtron & Nita AF2!)
  • "Earthlings" Movie Screening - Animal Lovers MUST watch this!
  • Cheerleaders, Capoiera, Hip-hop dance performances
  • Interactive Storytelling
  • Special Appearance by Star Wars 50st Legion
  • 200 Free limited edition tees by ActionTinToy for early birds!
  • Get cool eco-friendly goodie bags sponsored by PURINA, The Pet Safari, Addiction, Rhone Ma & The Barkery for a minimum donation of RM 10!
  • Hosted by Canadian hip-hop artist Vandal @ Jason Schadt

It's a Pet Friendly Event! Bring your animal companion along to join in the festivities!

IMPORTANT:
Parking spaces are limited at KL Tower! Please either come early to get a space, or park outside the compound and take a nice 10-min walk up the hill with your pet ! :) Its surrounded by lush forest (watch out for the monkeys!) so it will be a scenic walk up :)

Here are PetFinder.my's activities on that day:

1) Pet Adoption Showcase
2 dedicated computers will be used to showcase our PetFinder.my website and its list of pets for adoption. Interested adopters can contact the rescuers/shelters on the spot. This showcase also complements SPCA and PAWS' adoption drive that day, by featuring a more comprehensive list of their available pets.

2) Photo Hunt Computer Game Contest
We will have 2 laptops dedicated to hosting this Photo Hunt trivia game. Contestants will pay RM5 to play the game, where he has to spot 5 differences in each picture to progress to the next level. The top 2 scorers of each hour will receive a variety of attractive pet products.

3) Sausage-Eating Dog Contest
Each participant's dog will be giving a mixture sausages and can food to eat. Oh, and the owners will also have to munch away at some food simultanously too. The 2 fastest participants to finish their food will receive some really cool prizes! Each game only costs RM10.

100% of the funds collected on the event will be divided equally and given to SPCA and PAWS at the end of the day.

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!

================================================== ===========

Post-Event Update: Nov 3rd, 2008

The event completed successfully, and our booth has received significant attention and participation from the public, thanks to Jacinta for giving us an extremely good location right next to the stage and performance area.

Our Photo Hunt game was very well received by both adults and kids, while the Sausage eating contest was really fun and comical haha... Many visitors were also attracted by the PetFinder pets we showcased at our computers, and we hope that would be followed up with increased adoption rates at PetFinder. Unfortunately, it rained midway through the event, so traffic for the latter half of the day was much less.

We managed to collect donations (collected from the games - Photo Hunt - RM5/game, Sausage Contest - RM10/game) amounting to RM400, which we divided equally and gave to SPCA and PAWS at the end of the event.

I'd like to express my deepest gratitude to the generous and dedicated PetFinder volunteers:

- Yen, for amazingly obtaining all the wonderful sponsored prizes, managing the games, bringing the event's most noticed and talk-about dog, Guru the Afgan Hound;

- Chow, for loaning us a laptop for the games, helping organize all the prizes, and leading the golden retriever to its First Prize in the sausage eating contest;

- Bell, for tirelessly helping run the games, bringing in players for the Photo Hunt and ensuring everything runs smoothly;

- Valerie, for her extreme dedication in promoting PetFinder, our website, games, and her life-saving delicious sandwiches that helped us survive through the hot and tiring hours;

- Shan Hui and Sze Kaye, for their ever so dedicated volunteering in all our events, and running around under the hot sun distributing flyers to visitors;

- and not to forget, all the dearest PetFinder members that have paid us a visit and showered us with moral (and even monetary) support: Mia, Roy, Lynie, Serene, Blackie, Khairena, Alicia, Cazzy, Yin Ling and many more...

Here are some photos of the event... memories that we shall always cherish. Enjoy!

Setting up our PetFinder booth

The stage and performance area, where our booth is strategically located next to

Bell hard at work registering contestants

PetFinder booth against the magnificent KL Tower

Our simple booth setup of computers, brochures and sample pet treats

Participants engrossed in the fun Photo Hunt game

Our booth is a favorite stop for dogs, getting a cold drink from our Pet Cooling Station and lots of yummy tidbits

Andy giving a present to the 1st Prize Photo Hunt winner of the 1st Hour

Bell awarding 2nd Prize to a loyal gamer at our booth

A view of other booths along the terrace

A pair of beautiful huskies visiting the event

Cool Star Wars guys... pity them wearing such thick costumes under the hot scorching sun

Yen and the center of attraction, Guru the Afgan Hound!

The cool DJ and his awesome songs

Owners showing their cute pets on stage (notice Yen and Bell there?)

Performers and their cute doggies

Shan Hui and Guru (everybody's fighting to take photos with Guru!)

Preparing food for the Sausage-Eating Contest

Hungry contestants getting ready for the Sausage-Eating Contest

Ready... Set... GO! Arfff... wrgghhh.... chomp, munch, gulp!

This naughty doggy refuses to taste our food

Help... I can't finish my bunsssssss!

Winner goes to... hungry Chow and the golden retriever!

Arff... I wanna chew my prize!

Second prize goes to Kata the dog!

This noisy monkey must've been jealous of the attention people are giving to the dogs

The skies were darkening mid-way through the event

Two doggies distracted by some delicious food

Shan Hui presenting a prize to a Photo Hunt game winner

The awesome PetFinder team... good show!
(From left: Andy, Valerie, Sze Kaye, Yen (squatting), Shan Hui, Bell and Chow)

Here are 2 short, blurry and shaky videos I took:

A glimpse of the PetFinder booth

The start of our Sausage-eating contest:

Thank you again to everyone that has spent time and effort to make this event a success!

Last edited by AndyKoh; 11-04-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: PetFinder.my - World Animal Day, KL Tower - Nov 2

Andy,
I have some idea, they can direct register as forum member on that day, if we ready some notebook and sametime help them do register. Give Flyer. That is my own opinion.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Thanks for your suggestions, Clement.

Yup, we can let users directly register at main PetFinder site and forum, if there is internet connection available (still waiting for SPCA to confirm this). I only have 1 laptop though, I'll have to see if someone else can bring another one.

And yes, we'll definitely be giving out flyers on that day hehe!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 PM
PetFinder Moderator

ANdy,
I think able get the WIFI, to get attract poeple register on that day, one register, one small gift.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Animal Lover

Scotch is on a distinguished road

hey, I have a question. My dog Scotch is very scared of people but he's not aggressive. Will I be allowed to bring him?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

I have discussed with Yen (Acsyen), and here's the main idea we came up with for the game.

We'll be running the Photo Hunt trivia game on some computers. For those that do not know what it is, it's a simple Spot The Difference game where you have to find the 5 differences within 2 near-identical pictures in a limited time. If the player succeeds in finding all 5 differences, he'll proceed to the next level. We'll limit each user to a total of say 5 levels (or more, depending on how many people there are queuing up).

To play the game, the participant will need to pay RM5. The top 3 scorers of each hour will receive prizes from us. The funds obtained will be divided equally for SPCA and PAWS.

It is easy to setup and simple to play. The only thing I'd need to work out the logistics on is where to borrow the laptops from. I think we would need at least 2 laptops - 1 for browsing PetFinder's pets for adoption, and another 1 for playing the game. 3 laptops would be best.

If there are any volunteers for the event that can bring along a laptop, please let me know.

Yen will be assisting in finding sponsors for the prizes and buying the items. If there are insufficient sponsors, I'll pay for the prizes myself.

Here are other game ideas from Yen that involve pets, but might be harder to setup and execute:

- Test the brain solving skill game. Hide some kind of food or ball in some place and see if the dog can get it in a certain time period.

- Fastest eating game - group game can put like 5 or more ppl, can do like a relay, dog eat first then run to human's food then run back n let dog (or dog with human) finish last round ( a bit more creative than the normal fastest eating duo)

- Group relay for humans and dogs - dog run with owner to a box and find treasure. In the box will have lotsa other stuff. Once found hang around dog's neck and come bk. Fastest pair wins the game.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by AndyKoh; 10-21-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

wow... photo hunt.. i love that game.. test my eyesight credibility.. eheheh...

cool..i might be coming for a short while...
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dear member,
To who going be participate as volunteer for PetFinder.my booth. Please give us the name, we need some person have notebook, some person giving Flyers, some person do PR. Thank you.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
hey, I have a question. My dog Scotch is very scared of people but he's not aggressive. Will I be allowed to bring him?
Yes he can go as long as he doesn't attack any other people or dogs. Scotch is good to go..
Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

Chelly is in! Count me in.. I cant bring my laptop as it belongs to work and my life's well being is in hanging there. But anything else let me know, i can give out flyers or PR of whatever.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM
PetFinder Guru

hourus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to hourus Send a message via Yahoo to hourus
Thumbs up Re: PetFinder.my - World Animal Day, KL Tower - Nov 2

i cant attend....... however i hope that the event will be a great success, n get many many adopters, rescuers n fosterers etc etc all gather around n make this event memorable !!!!

zzzzzz.....woof woof
FurKid in the Car
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Just received some good news from Yen... a pet shop in SS2 (next to Poh Kong) has agreed to sponsor some attractive prizes for PetFinder! Good job, Yen!

They will also be sponsoring some big, yummy sausages haha.. so we can hold a sausage-eating contest for doggies!

Anyone that can volunteer for the event, please let me know asap. We'll need people to look after the booth, distribute flyers and manage the games.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Andy,
That is great news from co sponsor those treats. We still out of number volunteer.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
PetFinder Guru

i am volunteering to help out as I might not be performing anymore. Groupmates can't make it so my seniors take over my group's slot.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Thanks for your assistance, Yen! Please let me know when you have the finalized list of gifts from the pet shop.

Below are the volunteers that have confirmed:

1) Andy Koh
2) Yen
3) Chelly
4) Shan Hui
5) Sze Kaye

Seems like they're all girls hehe, where have the handsome guys gone to? We're still seeking out laptops, hope can find volunteers for that soon.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

hourus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to hourus Send a message via Yahoo to hourus
Wink Re: PetFinder.my - World Animal Day, KL Tower - Nov 2

hei andy, YOU are the handsome guy here surrounded by girls anyways, i heard this event over at flyfm (our local radio station) so this event should be a big one might be able to join as my sis has given birth to a healthy n cute girl (according to my mom, that is) today afternoon....YAYY!! ermmm.....i got desktop, andy, if u dont mind.....

zzzzzz.....woof woof
FurKid in the Car

Last edited by hourus; 10-23-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:30 AM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Dear People,

The next fun PetFinder.my event will be coming on Nov 2nd, 2008!

SPCA will be organizing the Largest World Animal Day Event in Malaysia:

Date: November 2nd, 2008 (Sunday)
Time: 12pm - 6pm

SPCA has generously offered PetFinder.my a booth at the event. We have yet to finalize our plans, and I want to brainstorm with you guys on what we have to offer. There will be no pets for adoption at our booth - pet showcases will be handled by SPCA and PAWS on that day.

My idea is to bring along a computer or two for people to instantly browse our website and pets available, which also helps to showcase SPCA and PAWS' other pets available for adoption. Our PetFinder flyers will be distributed as well.

Besides that, I am hoping that we can organize some simple games, preferably with some involving pets, and sponsor some nice prizes.

There will be many other interesting activites on that day, i.e.:
  • Launch of Animals Matter To Me
  • "Celebtrating Animals" Photo Exhibition
  • "Kind Kids R Kool Kids!" Coloring Competition (tentative)
  • Star Wars 501st Legion Appearance
  • Dog Agility & Obedience Showcase
  • Dance & Cheerleader Performances (including Groovy the Dancing Dog!)
  • Artists For Animals Showcase
  • Celebrity Photo Session
  • Free Movie Screening : Earthlings
  • Limited Edition WAD tees
  • World Animal Day Goodie Bags

Booths available at the event include:
  • SPCA
  • PAWS
  • PetFinder.my
  • Nestle PURINA (Friskies)
  • Addiction & The Barkery
  • Hand-painted Stones (Suzy)
  • Jaafar Taib's Wildlife Merchandise
  • Petster Magazine
  • Perdana Graphics
  • Style Essentials Groomers
  • Puppy.com.my
  • WWF Malaysia - TBC
  • Yusoff Gajah Paintings - TBC
  • TRAFFIC Malaysia - TBC
  • Sahabat Alam Malaysia - TBC
  • Malaysian Nature Society - TBC
  • MyCat - TBC
  • PetPositive - TBC

Oh, and it's a Pet-Friendly Event!

Members of the public can bring their pets (including dogs) to the KL Tower Terrace. Pets will not be allowed into certain areas (indicated clearly) so as not to inconvenience other visitors. Screening of pets to be done at main entry points – ill, injured, aggressive, and animals with skin diseases, ticks or fleas will not be allowed to enter (UPM Vet students – TBC). All owners MUST clean up after their pets.

We will be discussing the ideas and finalizing it by this week, so necessary preparations can take place asap.

Please throw in your ideas, and let me know for those of you that are free to volunteer for the event!
Hi Andy,

This is Felix The Cat and I read about the above and would like to throw in an idea if it is agreeable to you. For your information, I am the Chairman of our Blackwood group. Every month a group of us pool together to buy cat food from Blackwood at a cheaper price. I had this morning spoken to the Blackwood distributor and he is willing to give our samples of Blackwood Cat and Dog food to the public to try, sell his product by giving the public a 10% discount and also contribute 10% of the sales to SPCA as a donation. If you are agreeable to this, I will discuss further with you and the Blackwood distributor. I am sure this will make the Petfinder booth more interesting. Thanks for your time.

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 10-24-2008, 10:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Felix, sounds superb! I guess Andy would be pleased to read this post!

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Felix,

I actually have a bit of this kind of idea at first but Andy has mentioned that maybe SPCA would not allow us to sell anything there so I have already abolished the idea. So maybe he can clarify it with you again.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Felix,

Thanks for your great suggestion. Unfortunately, we will not be able to sell merchandise during this event. Moreover, we are sharing the booth with Petster Magazine, so we would not have much space too.

I will definitely keep this idea in mind when we work on the next event, so I can discuss it with the organizers. In fact, we will be enhancing PetFinder to properly showcase products, and I would love to discuss with you and Blackwood on promotional arrangements that would benefit them and our members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Hi Andy,

This is Felix The Cat and I read about the above and would like to throw in an idea if it is agreeable to you. For your information, I am the Chairman of our Blackwood group. Every month a group of us pool together to buy cat food from Blackwood at a cheaper price. I had this morning spoken to the Blackwood distributor and he is willing to give our samples of Blackwood Cat and Dog food to the public to try, sell his product by giving the public a 10% discount and also contribute 10% of the sales to SPCA as a donation. If you are agreeable to this, I will discuss further with you and the Blackwood distributor. I am sure this will make the Petfinder booth more interesting. Thanks for your time.