Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Animal Lover

Oshyn is on a distinguished road
Default Kurap kat telinga, any treatment?

salam, sy nak tanye la td sy ter nmpak 1 kitten, comey sgt2 n die kat jln raya nak kat traffic light, then sy amik la die, tp telinge die ade kurap lah, ade pape treatment yg bole sy ltk dlu x smentara nak tgu weekend ni utk bwk g vet... any suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4246.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	8792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4247.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	8793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4249.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	8794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4251.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	8795  
Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 AM
PetFinder Guru

aznor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kurap kat telinga, any treatment?

oshyn bkan i x kesian kat cat yg u baru rescue ni..
i pon pnah rescue kucing yg ade kurap di telinga..
tapi a weeks later i perasan my cats pon dah berjangkit..
so baik u bawak pergi vet cpat..
nanti berjangkit..

http://befriendingthefurrybeast.blogspot.com/
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Animal Lover

yes, mmg nak bwak but I'm working frm 9 to 6 and will manage to be at home around 7++pm... I'm planning to see vet on this coming friday, currently separated this little kitten in a cage in separate room with my other cats... is it okay? will the kurap berjangkit even in separated room?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Cat Slave

Fareen is on a distinguished road

untuk sementara bole pakai antifungal cream brand natural pet. it's very good.
Separate room. disinfect ur hands after touching this kitten and don't use the same utensils.

Proud mummy of Sophie / Dexter / Yuki / Heidi / Optimus

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareen View Post
untuk sementara bole pakai antifungal cream brand natural pet. it's very good.
Separate room. disinfect ur hands after touching this kitten and don't use the same utensils.
alright! thanks kak, esok I beli, how much will it cost?
mmg x pkai same utensils pun takut berjangkit... nmpak agak teruk la n mse mndikan td pun ade bekas luka2 cm kudis kat bdn die, tp dah kering so i guess x pedih mse mndi cuz die x melawan....kat telige tu plak bole ke cuci dgn air suam kak? sbb mse mndi td x bsh pun tlga die takot pedih...
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Animal Lover

mazlan is on a distinguished road

Why not just go to any pharmacy and ask them for an anti-fungal cream such as Candid Cream,Dermafine cream ,Ketoconazol cream,econazine cream etc.These creams are actually used for both human and animal,apply twice daily .The cost is RM 10-18 only for a tube.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:42 AM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Apa yang selalu my mom buat dia guna minyak zaitun. Bukan yang untuk rambut tu (brand Safi, ginvera), tapi yang jual untuk kita makan tu (brand Bertolli, bunyi macam tu la). Campurkan sikit dengan anti fungul cream or u can apply minyak zaitun tu sahaja. Sapu guna cotton bud. Sapu rata. Biarkan selama sehari...lepas tu mandikan. Then reapply.

Method ni selalu dia guna untuk strays yang mintak makan kat rumah. . Saya pun pernah apply cat strays kat rumah saya. Alhamdulillah, cepat elok. Ada sekali tu kucing tu siap ada macam bintik2 jerawat besar2 ..penuh satu kepala...saya pun sapu minyak zaitun ni...dalam amsa 2 hari dah elok. Bulu dia pun tumbuh macam biasa.

Just a suggestion...
Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Animal Lover

Forrester is on a distinguished road

Oshyn, from your pics, I can see that your kitten is having mange, caused by mites (in humans it is called scabbies). It is very infectious to other cats and also to humans. Please take the kitten to the vet for ivermectin treatment (2X more treatment later for complete recovery). Do not touch the kitten with your hands unnecessarily. You can get infected yourself. It is definitely mange, not fungus, and the ears has the typical crusty appearance. Please treat the problem properly before it spreads all over the body. It can enter the body to infect the internal organs at a later stage causing death. It is very uncomfortable for the cat.

Confine your cat in a cage, do not let it run around and spread the mites and eggs everywhere and you have a hard time cleaning up. You and your family can come down with scabbies too.

After the first treatment you can see the crusty appearance start dropping off and disappearing, but you must repeat the 2nd treatment after 7 days (1 week) after the 1st treatment, and then the 3rd treatment at another 7 days (1 week) after the 2nd treatment so that you do not get a recurrent infection. I know some vets who just gives 1 jab and say it is enough but after some time, the cat gets reinfected when the eggs of the mites which survived the 1st treatment hatch out and reinfects the cat again.

Ivermectin is very toxic to the cat, so you do not want your cat to keep getting the infection again and again and you have to keep giving ivermectin to your cat every time the infection reappears simply because you did not kill the mites which hatch out much later from some eggs somewhere which the 1st treatment missed. The 3rd treatment will make sure there are absolutely no mites survivors.

Don't forget to clean the environment (floor, rugs, beddings), put in washing machine dry in the hot sun. Do not spray insecticide which is toxic to the cats.

Good luck!

Last edited by Forrester; 01-26-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
Apa yang selalu my mom buat dia guna minyak zaitun. Bukan yang untuk rambut tu (brand Safi, ginvera), tapi yang jual untuk kita makan tu (brand Bertolli, bunyi macam tu la). Campurkan sikit dengan anti fungul cream or u can apply minyak zaitun tu sahaja. Sapu guna cotton bud. Sapu rata. Biarkan selama sehari...lepas tu mandikan. Then reapply.

Method ni selalu dia guna untuk strays yang mintak makan kat rumah. . Saya pun pernah apply cat strays kat rumah saya. Alhamdulillah, cepat elok. Ada sekali tu kucing tu siap ada macam bintik2 jerawat besar2 ..penuh satu kepala...saya pun sapu minyak zaitun ni...dalam amsa 2 hari dah elok. Bulu dia pun tumbuh macam biasa.

Just a suggestion...
I'll try this method while waiting for this friday to see vet... thanks kuntum!
just wanna ask, is olive oil safe for kittens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
Oshyn, your kitten has mange, caused by mites (in humans it is called scabbies). It is very infectious to other cats and also to humans. Please take the kitten to the vet for ivermectin treatment (2X more treatment later for complete recovery). Do not touch the kitten with your hands unnecessarily. You can get infected yourself. It is definitely mange, not fungus, and the ears has the typical crusty appearance.

After the first treatment you can see the crusty appearance start dropping off and disappearing, but you must complete the 2nd treatment after 7 days (1 week) after the 1st treatment, and then the 3rd treatment at another 7 days (1 week) after the 2nd treatment so that you do not get a recurrent infection.
Yes, I'll bring the kitten to vet ASAP, it sounded so bad...
Thanks for the info!.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Yup save for kittens. Apply sementara sebelum g vet. Kalau dia jilat pun tak pe. Tapi make sure olive oil yang untuk makan ye bukan untuk rambut
Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
Yup save for kittens. Apply sementara sebelum g vet. Kalau dia jilat pun tak pe. Tapi make sure olive oil yang untuk makan ye bukan untuk rambut
alright! tp mne nak beli ea(yg paket kck ader)? hehehe, xbiase la beli myk msk...
tp klaw da ade cream bole ke cmpur dgn olive oil nih?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Animal Lover

Oshyn, don't apply any fungal cream because mange is not caused by fungus and the problem with cats (unlike other animals) is that they will lick anything that you apply on them. So since it is not a fungal problem, please do not put it on the cat because the cat will be swallowing some toxic application which is not needed by the cat and affects its liver and kidneys unnecessarily. That is why one of my vets always say, "Tak payah lah" to most medications to be applied on the cat because he says that they will lick it off anyway and swallow it, causing other problems later.

The fungus medication from Natural Pet mentioned is safe, according to my vet. But then your cat does not have a fungus infection, so there is no need to apply that.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshyn View Post
Yes, I'll bring the kitten to vet ASAP, it sounded so bad... Thanks for the info!.
Yes, mange is bad and so common but quite easy to treat with ivermectin. I have treated many stray kittens as well as cats with it. The crust on your kitten's ears is quite thick and bad, but don't worry, after one week of ivermectin, you can see the crust dropping off and clean pink healthy skin start showing and the kitten scratches less. After the last treatment, if your kitten still scratches (the skin and wound starts drying up and can be still a little itchy), you can apply a very thin film of good quality original "minyak gamat" from Langkawi (make sure it is a good brand like "pati minyak ibu gamat warisan saju langkawi" - I am typing straight from my bottle! ).
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Animal Lover

but I already applied Natural Pet this morning, is it okay?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshyn View Post
but I already applied Natural Pet this morning, is it okay?
You can stop applying because you do not want to touch the cat too much. Remember, the mites and eggs can drop on to you and you can easily carry them around to another section the room/house/another cat/human. Just feed the cat and clean its cage. If you must pet it because it wants love and affection, make sure you wash your hands immediately with soap and water. That is why you need to treat the kitten quickly because you want to kill off all the mites on the kitten so that you can start touching it and letting it out of the cage to run around. The mites will die very fast the moment they suck the kitten's blood containing ivermectin.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

Kat Giant ada. Brand Bertolli (yg biasa saya guna). Botol yang paling kecik dalam 100ml.

Boleh campurkan. My mom campurkan. Tapi kalau u risau, takut dia jilat, tak payah campur. Guna olive oil saja.

Harap2 method ni berjaya kurangkan mange kucing u. Kalau tak berjaya kurangkan terpaksa u campurkan dengan cream tu or, use the cream alone.

Selamat mencuba!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Animal Lover

Natural Pet is fantastic for fungal infections like ringworm, and not toxic too. But it is not effective for mites which cause mange. Keep your bottle of Natural Pet well for future use (if you are sure it is fungus and not something else) because it is not cheap. Something like RM30, yes?