Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Exclamation What is Reverse Sneezing?

What is Reverse Sneezing?

Reverse sneezing, also known as the "mechanosensitive aspiration reflex" is a common phenomenon in dogs. In a regular sneeze, your dog pushes air out through the nose; however, in a reverse sneeze, air is pulled rapidly in through the nose producing a noisy inspiratory effort.

What a Reverse Sneeze Looks Like

During a reverse sneeze, your dog will make rapid inspirations, stand still with his elbows spread apart, extend his head, and his eyes may bulge. He'll make a loud snorting sound, which might make you think he has something caught in his throat. Many dog owners think their pet is suffocating during a reverse sneeze episode. Each reverse sneezing occurrence generally lasts for less than a minute up to two minutes.

Reverse Sneezing Video
Look at this video for an example

Causes of Reverse Sneezing

The exact reason for these reverse sneezing episodes is unknown but may be related to allergies, nasal irritants, or nasal inflammation. Any age, breed or sex can be affected.
A reverse sneeze may look disturbing – many people fearAnxiety Relief From Loud Noises
HomeoPet Anxiety Relief From Loud Noises is for relief from fear of: Thunderstorms, Fireworks, Loud Noises, Windstorms. Restlessness, anxious and unwa... that their dog is not breathing during these episodes – but it is not a harmful condition and there are no ill effects. Reverse sneezing attacks are generally quite brief and not life threatening. Between episodes, the dog acts normal.

In some situation when reverse sneezing is frequent, a more serious condition may be the underlying cause. In those situations, testing for nasal mites, nasal cancer should be done.

How to Stop a Reverse Sneezing Episode

An episode can be stopped if the dog is stimulated to swallow by either massaging the throat or briefly pinching off the nasal openings. Sometimes opening the dogs mouth and gently pulling on the dogs tongue or giving the dog something to eat and drink can also stop the reverse sneezing episode. Some dogs have reverse sneezing episodes so frequently that various medications may be needed to reduce their frequency.

What to Watch For

If the revere sneezing occurs frequently (daily or several times a day) and is associated with other clinical signs, then further evaluation should be completed by your veterinarian.
Watch for other abnormal signs that may suggest a more serious problem including nasal discharge, epistaxis (bloody nose), sneezing, difficulty breathing, abnormal facial deformity over the nose area, decreased appetite and/or lethargy.

Dr.Jon

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is Reverse Sneezing?

Dimb, my rocky sometimes do something like this at nite when he sleeps in my room. Scared me everytime. Tot he's gonna die and i have to tepuk tepuk his back.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Vivi,
Hope this help, This is known as a reverse sneeze. It is common in small-breed dogs, especially when they get excited or are drinking water. Owners become concerned when their pet makes these noises; some even fear that their pet cannot breath. In general, it does not cause the dog any harm and does not lead to any significant breathing problems. Reverse sneezing usually goes away within a few seconds to minutes. It may be helpful to massage the neck and try to calm the animal if it was previously excited. Some animals can have this condition for their entire lives, or it may develop as the animal ages. Causes of reverse sneezing include allergies, viral infections, excessive soft palate tissue, and nasal mites. Some cases of reverse sneezing are idiopathic, which means there is no identifiable cause. A reverse sneeze results from irritation to the nasopharynx. This irritation causes the loud inspiratory and expiratory snorts that prompt the owner to take the dog to the veterinarian. The nasopharynx can be thought of as the part of the throat just above the soft palate. The soft palate is a soft, fleshy tissue extension off the hard palate, or roof of the mouth. If this problem continues, or appears to be severe, you should consult with your veterinarian. However, most of the time there is nothing to worry about.
By Veterinary Associates Of Hattiesburg

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 AM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Thanx. this is a very useful info for me cos everytime when he does this thing i'm scared to death. Thanx.