Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Exclamation Dogs may help combat childhood obesity

The study says dog ownership can decrease the chances of children being obese by as much as 50 per cent. They are called man's best friend, but they could also be the best weapon in the fight against childhood obesity.

A new study indicates dog ownership may also be the antidote to junk food, computer games and television which many say causes childhood obesity.

Jo Salmon from Deakin University in Victoria was the lead researcher on the project which looked at obesity levels among kids with and without dogs.

"We found that young children who are aged around five to six years of age are 50 per cent less likely to be overweight or obese if they own a dog, compared to those who don't own a dog," Dr Salmon said.

The study also found there were health benefits for older children with dogs.

For 10 to 12-year-olds, 30 per cent who did not have a dog suffered weight problems compared to 27 per cent of their peers who have a pet.

Dr Salmon says the health benefits come even if the children do not walk the dog regularly.

"We looked at whether or not the frequency of dog walking might explain this association of perhaps all children who own a dog or walking more frequently with their dog," he said.

"But this didn't explain it, so the way we interpret our data is we think maybe they are outside playing with the dog and just spending more energy generally and playing with the dog and in fact it's not through dog walking, but just through playing."

Dr Salmon says the results span the socio-economic divide.

"When we adjusted ... the family's economic status and the neighbourhood's level of economic status, we found that this association between dog ownership and children's weight status persisted," he said.

And dog owners agree children and canines are a good mix.

John is the owner of Sam, a black Labrador and he also has children.

"Walking a dog is one thing, that's very sort of perambulatory," he said.

"But if you're a kid and a dog, you chase balls, you play soccer with them, you rumble with them, wrestle them on the carpet even if you're watching TV," he said.

"So it's activity and it's also a mind thing as well."

Adapted from a report by Michael Edwards for The World Today

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.