Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Dogs (not chimps) most like humans

very interesting article!!
enjoy!
lynette

Dogs (not chimps) most like humans
Man's best friend serves as model for understanding human social behavior

By Jennifer Viegas

Chimpanzees share many of our genes, but dogs have lived with us for so long and undergone so much domestication that they are now serving as a model for understanding human social behavior, according to a new paper.

Cooperation, attachment to people, understanding human verbal and non-verbal communications, and the ability to imitate are just a handful of the social behaviors we share with dogs. They might even think like us at times too, according to the paper, which has been accepted for publication in the journal Advances in the Study of Behavior.

While there is no evidence to support that dogs and humans co-evolved their laundry list of shared behaviors over the past 10,000 to 20,000 years, the researchers believe adapting to the same living conditions during this period may have resulted in the similarities.

Lead author Jozsef Topal explained to Discovery News "that shared environment has led to the emergence of functionally shared behavioral features in dogs and humans and, in some cases, functionally analogous underlying cognitive skills."

Topal, who is based at the Institute for Psychology at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, is one of the world's leading canine researchers. He and his team argue that dogs should serve as the "new chimpanzees" in comparative studies designed to shed light on human uniqueness.

"In my view, pet dogs can be regarded in many respects as 'preverbal infants in canine's clothing,'" he said, adding that many dog-owner relationships mirror human parental bonds with children.

In one of many recent studies conducted by the team, Topal and his colleagues taught both a 16-month-old human child and mature dogs to repeat multiple demonstrated actions on verbal command — "Do it!," shouted in Hungarian.

The actions included turning around in circles, vocalizing, jumping up, jumping over a horizontal rod, putting an object into a container, carrying an object to the owner or parent, and pushing a rod to the floor.

The dogs "performed surprisingly well and at a comparable level to the 16-month-old child," Topal said.

Multiple studies mentioned by the authors also support that dogs exhibit all three primary types of social behavior that humans evolved when they split from chimpanzees 6 million years ago. The first is "sociality," or organization into groups where members are loyal to each other and display reduced aggression.

The second is synchronization, where following shared social rules and even taking on each others emotions helps to strengthen group unity. The researchers, for example, say that, "when approached by an unfamiliar person showing definite signs of friendliness and threat in succession, dogs show rapid changes of emotional and behavioral response in accordance with the human's attitude."

The third is "constructive activity," where individuals within a group cooperate and communicate with each other to achieve goals. Dogs can also distinguish rational from irrational human communications, Topal said.

The scientists additionally believe dogs are good models for human social behavior because studies can compare and contrast domesticated dogs with wolves, and then with humans.

Marc Hauser, a professor and director of the Cognitive Evolution Lab at Harvard University, fully agrees that dogs offer a good model for understanding human behavior.

"The dog has come into its own as a great new model for understanding the mind in general, and the evolution of the human mind in particular," Hauser told Discovery News. "Not only have we lived with dogs for thousands of years, but because of this relationship, we have acted as an agent of selection to modify aspects of their behavior and minds."

"Now, perhaps for the first time, students of animal behavior, psychology, neuroscience, anthropology, philosophy and veterinary medicine will unite to provide deeper insights into the evolution of dogs and the evolution of humans," he added. "I for one am very excited about this opportunity, which is why we have followed the lead of other labs, and started our own dog lab!"

© 2009 Discovery Channel
Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Animal Lover

dreay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dogs (not chimps) most like humans

I reli have2agree wif u~

Pls do hav a luk at the website here~
U'll b touch to see hw amazing it was~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgjyhKN_35g
Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

yes i saw that video before! you're right it's amazing and really touching. it makes me want to cry. dogs are wonderful!!! i'm glad you feel that way about them too.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Animal Lover

dreay is an unknown quantity at this point

(")[>.^](")

I was AMAZE wen i saw tat video....
I too hav2admit tat i hv tears in my eyes wen i watch tat video..
I felt touch by looking hw te dog save his own kind...
Not even ONE 'so-call-Human' din even STOP....
I mean tats reli terrible...no offense! *im human2* LOLX

Tats is y i alwis tink~

"GOD IS AMAZING"

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

hi
i watches that video before too.
Makes me feel very kasihan bcos i have saw similiar cases too in my hometown.
The dog partner din drag to save his partner because she's dead being hit by car.
He just stay there with her for one whole day under the sun.
So kasihan.
many motor pass by and try to make the dog go away (cos very dangerous)but he refuse.
Then the next day both of them are gone.
Haiz~~~ to think that dog have more heart than human.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

i saw that before, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
yes i saw that video before! you're right it's amazing and really touching. it makes me want to cry. dogs are wonderful!!! i'm glad you feel that way about them too.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM
PetFinder Buddy

monkee94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to monkee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivi View Post
hi
i watches that video before too.
Makes me feel very kasihan bcos i have saw similiar cases too in my hometown.
The dog partner din drag to save his partner because she's dead being hit by car.
He just stay there with her for one whole day under the sun.
So kasihan.
many motor pass by and try to make the dog go away (cos very dangerous)but he refuse.
Then the next day both of them are gone.
Haiz~~~ to think that dog have more heart than human.
yeah..i saw that happened before the dog just sat in the middle of the highway beside its companion who got knocked down..this goes to show how loyal dogs are no matter who it is...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Haiz~~~ very kasihan
Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Animal Lover

Joni is on a distinguished road

I have also watch the clips before... can you believe it, i was so touched till my eyes were teary... i do wonder could a human help another human if they were in the same situation like in the video clip...

Points to ponder...
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Nice article, Lynie...

All my life I have had dogs.. and I can attest to the accuracy of that article first hand.

Here's a story of my Rottweiller that sheds some light on how intelligent and conscious dogs are...

My dog, Shadow knew he's not supposed to sleep on the couch because we taught him not to.. so, one day while i was in my room, at about 4 am... i watch on the CCTV and found him sleeping on the couch... I then came out of my room, and when i reached the hall, I found him asleep on the floor...

So, guess what he did? He heard me opening my door, then immediately got off the couch and 'pretended' to be asleep on the floor... now, how much consciousness you need to be able to pull off that kind of misdirection? He obviously couldn't possibly know what CCTV was and as far as he knew, he got away with a crime!! hehe..

That shows you how intelligent dogs are... and I am pretty sure, a lot of animals are as well... remember, we humans are just another type of animal... with a bigger brain, is all...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Petfinder Moderator

hey! you are right, ezer, about animals being able to misdirect. I hadn't seen it that way until you mentioned it.

Just like your Shadow, my Blackie was taught not to hop up onto the pots and chew the plants. And we've never caught him in the act ever since we taught him......but, we'll find evidences of chewed leaves, branches pulled off, and he'll be around the vicinity, but sitting quietly and looking innocent like as if he's been doing that all the while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post
Nice article, Lynie...

All my life I have had dogs.. and I can attest to the accuracy of that article first hand.

Here's a story of my Rottweiller that sheds some light on how intelligent and conscious dogs are...

My dog, Shadow knew he's not supposed to sleep on the couch because we taught him not to.. so, one day while i was in my room, at about 4 am... i watch on the CCTV and found him sleeping on the couch... I then came out of my room, and when i reached the hall, I found him asleep on the floor...

So, guess what he did? He heard me opening my door, then immediately got off the couch and 'pretended' to be asleep on the floor... now, how much consciousness you need to be able to pull off that kind of misdirection? He obviously couldn't possibly know what CCTV was and as far as he knew, he got away with a crime!! hehe..

That shows you how intelligent dogs are... and I am pretty sure, a lot of animals are as well... remember, we humans are just another type of animal... with a bigger brain, is all...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Charlene,I'm very familiar with this act but the culprits were caught in the act finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
hey! you are right, ezer, about animals being able to misdirect. I hadn't seen it that way until you mentioned it.

Just like your Shadow, my Blackie was taught not to hop up onto the pots and chew the plants. And we've never caught him in the act ever since we taught him......but, we'll find evidences of chewed leaves, branches pulled off, and he'll be around the vicinity, but sitting quietly and looking innocent like as if he's been doing that all the while.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Petfinder Moderator

i can never catch the culprit in my home becos i think he hears me as i approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Charlene,I'm very familiar with this act but the culprits were caught in the act finally.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:42 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Haha.. looks like June, you're onto your pets!! hehe.. htye can't get away with anything with your watchful eyes..

Anyways, I pretended i didn't know as well with shadow.. let him think he's outsmarted me.. hehe..
Old 04-18-2009, 01:42 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post

Yup they can indeed.. I heard that dogs are as conscious as a 4 year old human child.. that's pretty smart and conscious if you ask me..

And if you look at it that way, when peopel are cruel to animals, and kills them, it's equivalent to kiling or torturing a 4 year old child..
Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 AM
PetFinder Guru

veanne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to veanne

Quote:
Nice article, Lynie...

reminds me about the huge mistake that my dog have done... all my dogs are not allowed to go near my mom's garden...

one day, choco step into the garden... and this huge mistake begin... so many flower he didn't pick to chew... and he pick my mom's favourite flower... i dunno what is it call... but, for sure it's really hard to plant... it will only grew ONE big flower for few days in that ONE year... then choco was get cought doing it and being scolded by my mom real bad...

then the next day, it's shiro's turn... LOL... shiro likes grassy area... and this is what he did... so, after a few minutes... shiro walk very slowly with his head looking at the floor... then sit down beside me... that second, i already know he did something bad... then i look at his paw and confirmed he steps into my mom's garden... LOL... suddenly, my mom shouting : this time, whose fault now...??!! the first reaction when shiro heard my mom's voice, he immediately hide under the table... LOL...
Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Yup. And if I could change anything in this world, I would change the attitude of humans towards their 4-legged companions. I guess we all have to do our part and help spread the awareness that animals are sentient beings.

Quote:
Yup they can indeed.. I heard that dogs are as conscious as a 4 year old human child.. that's pretty smart and conscious if you ask me..

And if you look at it that way, when peopel are cruel to animals, and kills them, it's equivalent to kiling or torturing a 4 year old child..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Dogs (not chimps) most like humans

Yeah,last time when I was in the early stage rescuing stray cats they fool me several times.But now,I'm the expert I know if they have done something wrong they will pretending lying on the floor as nothing happen. Very smart cats.

Quote:
Haha.. looks like June, you're onto your pets!! hehe.. htye can't get away with anything with your watchful eyes..

Anyways, I pretended i didn't know as well with shadow.. let him think he's outsmarted me.. hehe..
Old 04-18-2009, 06:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

veanne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to veanne

pets are normally expert in pretending
Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

cookie is on a distinguished road

Hahaha, and real cute when they do try hard to pretend. But not all will do that.
I have had pets who would not budge but sat unmoving, eyes shut tight with ears folded backwards, ready to take whatever punishment given - verbal, physical or both.
Well punishment had to be given and was given lots of extra hugs and love immediately after (for taking the punishment like a 'man'). Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veanne View Post
pets are normally expert in pretending