Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Cat hissing at new kitten

Hey guys

Need your help on this. My bf brought home a stray kitten on Sunday night. When he came home, he placed the box with the kitten inside on the floor and my 2 year old cat curiously peered inside. When she saw the kitten, she started hissing and spitting and just ran to hide in my room.

I have kept them separated for now. The kitten is kept in a different room. I'm worried about my older cat. She was always very active and playful before this kitten came in. For the past 3 days, I noticed she's always on edge, doesn't want to play and won't sleep with me. She won't even come near the room which the kitten is in. Older cat has also been eating less these days. I have to move her dish to the kitchen from her usual spot because it's near the kitten room and she didn't eat the entire first day the kitten was there.

Last night, I let the kitten out to roam around the living room. Older cat just hissed at her and just sat on the dining table the whole night! She even hissed at me when I tried to pick her up.

How long will this last? I miss my crazy cat and I really want them to get along Will it affect my older cat's health (like stress/trauma)?

Right now, kitten is still confined in a different room but I plan to let her out after she has her first checkup this Saturday.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Cat hissing at new kitten

Let me just add that my cat has never been exposed to any outsiders or cats. We're the only people she knows.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Let me just add that my cat has never been exposed to any outsiders or cats. We're the only people she knows.
Hi Meffy -- You're doing the right thing by keeping the two cats separated at first. Introducing them very slowly is the key, and you need to be patient. It may take as much as several weeks for your adult cat to show signs of acceptance. Meanwhile, maybe these two articles will help:

http://www.petfinder.my/library/110_..._to_Your_Home/

http://www.petfinder.my/wagazine/201...ld-felines.htm

Congratulations on saving the kitten's life, and best of luck getting your two cats comfortable with each other. :-)
Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

When would be suitable to let the kitten out of the room? I don't have a cage but since it's my laundry/closet room, I don't want it to stink of kitty poop.

Will my elder cat attack the little one if left unsupervised?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
When would be suitable to let the kitten out of the room? I don't have a cage but since it's my laundry/closet room, I don't want it to stink of kitty poop.

Will my elder cat attack the little one if left unsupervised?
I would let your older cat set the pace. When she begins to show curiosity -- sniffing at the door, for example -- you try leaving the door open and see how it goes. At the first sign of real aggression (not play-fighting), separate them again.

When I introduced my 2nd cat, my 1st cat took about 2 weeks before she was willing to be civil. I would definitely not leave them together unsupervised until you are confident that they can at least coexist peaceably.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 AM
PetFinder Guru

I let the little one out of the room to roam around and elder cat is still hissy at the sight of her. When little one came closer, elder cat climbed to the highest cabinet.

My girl looks like she'll need 2 weeks to settle. She didn't eat today

Thanks for the advice once again