Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Animal Lover

z1tr0n is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cat Sneezing Badly - URGENT

Hi All,

Have you all had an experience on how to treats cats that are sneezing badly?

My cats have all these symtoms
- red eye
- sneezing
- itchy nose
- runny nose

It all happened when i sent my cat for a castration and left him there for a day about a week plus ago at a VET. When my cat came home he had sneezing and fever issues.

Now all my 7 cats also got the symptom. And they seems like having trouble to breath properly. What am i suppose to do? I went back to the vet bringing the castrated cat and they gave him a shot for his sneezing and fever but it doesn't help.

Im afraid that my cat that has been castrated caught with some bacteria infections at the clinic.

What should I do...please advise...I need urgent help...
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat Sneezing Badly - URGENT

1. Change vet

2. Get second opinion. Look like cat flu to me. Will heal in a few days. no need for shot anyway.. Only oral medication. Happen to one of my cat.

3. yet..change vet
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Cat flu is caused by a virus.

Some cats recover well on their own without medications but some cats need medications for secondary bacteria infections which manage to set in inside the cat's respiratory system. Infections can infect the upper respiratory area. Young kittens below the age of 6 months often die because of their weaker immune systems and care must always be taken to keep them well away from any flu. In catteries and shelters it is not uncommon to see all the young kittens wiped out.

If not treated, it can easily spread to the lower respiratory area, involving the lungs causing inflamation and fluid accumulation, scarring of delicate tissues which is quite permanent and all these reduces the surface area for oxygen absorption. The fluid accumulation can cause the lungs to collapse, causing death. If pneumonia sets it, it is often fatal.

Often, it is the secondary bacteria infection which causes the complications and death, not the virus itself. The virus causes internal injury to tissues, allowing bacteria to set in.

Although there is no medication for the virus itself, often the vet will give you antibiotics to address the secondary infection which has or has yet to set in in the respiratory system as well as any visible eye infection. If the bacteria Clamydia is involved, this can even cause blindness.

The vet will use a stethoscope to listen to the cat/kitten's breathing in order to determine whether there is fluid especially in the lung area and determine the best type of antibiotics to administer as different antibiotics work better on different tissue types.

Do not underestimate the danger and severity of cat flu. Some cats recover well but some cats recover very slowly and some do die. But whatever it is, it is always important to prevent permanent damage and scarring of the lung tissues reducing the surface area for oxygen absorption.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

z1tr0n,

Aside from the medications the vet will give your cats, do this everyday for at least a week:

Try to get a bottle of Bragg's Organic Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) which contains the "mother". Most pharmacies and organic shops sell it.

Take a teaspoonful of the ACV and dilute it in a small container with equal parts of clean water (mix 50:50). Do not use undiluted, it is too strong and it burns the cat's skin.

Take a small cotton ball, dip into the solution mixture and apply it to the cat's scruff, wetting and massaging the spot on the skin so the diluted ACV can be absorbed through the skin.

Also, use the cotton ball to apply some of the diluted ACV onto the cat's paws so that it will try to lick it off, ingesting it.

The cat will be able to breathe better and it aids recovery.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Animal Lover

z1tr0n is on a distinguished road

Ok..thanks..im bringing to another vet...1 of the cat that is having serious sneezing and flu is nursing its kittens. im worried it will affect them too...:(
Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

The kittens especially can easliy die. Survival rate is quite low for the young ones. Keep everyone warm and away from draughts so they do not get sudden chills and come down with a fever if they do not already have one. Cardboard boxes filled with lined/crushed newspaper are very good for warmth and use-and-throws. Cloths and towels are hard work to disinfect properly and spread infections. Never bathe any of them. Only use a moist warm towel that has been squeezed off all excess water to wipe if necessary. Try not to wet the fur too much as the dampness can cause a chill.

Try not to handle or touch any cat, especially the kittens except when necessary to minimise spread of infections. After handling any cat/kitten, make sure you wash your hands up to elbows generously with soap and rinse well with water.

All the best.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Animal Lover

simba is on a distinguished road

furkids,

i dah jumpa dgn goverment vet, doc bg ubat selsema, kahak, antibiotik, selera mkn,, demam.
kalau ubat cairkan kahak tuh macamaner anak kucing tuh nak kuarkan kahaknya ye? coz kita manusia boleh ludah keluar kahak.
sbb lps sy bg ubat cairkan kahak tuh anak kucing sy [ 6 bn ] lg mcm susah nak bernafas.