Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let's help Egeh :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMaiden View Post
Betul tu FK..lagipun come to think of it, most of the cats we meet, apart from being malnourished, adalah muda2 belaka kerana chances of stray leading a long life memang amat tipis. So memang banyak kucing muda berkeliaran so memang sesuailah bagi makan kitten food.

Malam semalam saya dah balik from kampung. Belum balik rumah dah pergi detour dulu check feeding station. Tengok dalam bekas, memang makanan habis licin licau. Kesian those strays, it looks like the food that we put for them pun not nearly enough to feed all. But I console myself saying that at least I managed to help a little? If the food I put out managed to mengenyangkan perut even one poor stray, then I must have made a difference, no?

And then kan..at my apartment parking lot, ada new cat rushed up to me meowwwwing for food, and she wasn't afraid of humans at all. Ni mesti kucing bertuan but tuan dia balik kampung tak tinggalkan dia makanan..
Oh yes, MidnightMaiden, memang tak cukup. That is why I taroh dalam mangkuk besar muat hampir 1 kilo kibbles semangkuk buat 2 mangkuk besar alas dengan air bagi satu feeding station. Bekas air dalam bekas yg dibuat daripada botol plastik kicap/cili 5 litre (potong 1/3 from the top utk dapatkan bahagian bawah to make a deep container) pun aku letak 3 kat satu feeding station di tempat sunyi dan jauh dari jalanraya takut mereka kena gelek/langgar semasa berkejaran especially waktu malam.

Tesco ada jual mangkuk besar kaca around RM6.00 something, macam Pyrex tapi dia kaca biasa so murah. Boleh taroh banyak kibbles kat dalam dan alas dengan bekas isi air. RM6 tu ok lah, tak lah mahal sangat utk replace sekiranya mangkuk tersebut dicuri oleh orang celaka yg tak sedar dia curi dari makhluk yg lebih miskin daripada mereka yg tiada makanan dan tempat tinggal.

The only way to save $$ to give the strays maximum nutrition (sebab the rest of the time mereka makan sampah yg tiada khasiat) is to get the Blackwood kitten breeder packs.

Kitten tu maybe buangan orang, MidnightMaiden. Banyak buangan dalam bulan puasa dan time raya nie. Last year, ada orang celaka buangkan 7 kotak besar yg berisi anak kucing berpuluh ekor kat pasar, car park dan tepi jalan, my friends cerita. Those yg buang kat tepi jalan dan car park habis kena gelek, kepala pecah badan hancur digelek oleh kereta apabila mereka keluar daripada kotak dan pergi sembunyi bawah kereta ingatkan diri mereka lebih selamat kat situ or they wander on to the road looking for mommy and home. Feeling stressed, fearful and disoriented, they did not recognise the terrible danger. Memang celaka betul!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Kitten tu maybe buangan orang, MidnightMaiden. Banyak buangan dalam bulan puasa dan time raya nie. Last year, ada orang celaka buangkan 7 kotak besar yg berisi anak kucing berpuluh ekor kat pasar, car park dan tepi jalan, my friends cerita. Those yg buang kat tepi jalan dan car park habis kena gelek, kepala pecah badan hancur digelek oleh kereta apabila mereka keluar daripada kotak dan pergi sembunyi bawah kereta ingatkan diri mereka lebih selamat kat situ or they wander on to the road looking for mommy and home. Feeling stressed, fearful and disoriented, they did not recognise the terrible danger. Memang celaka betul!
Speechless

Btw that cat isn't even a kitten, but quite berumur. Looking at how manja it is, you're probably right FK, probably ada orang yg buang so that they'll have a 'clear conscience' when they balik beraya

This reminds me of an Enid Blyton story that I read as a kid, where a family went on holiday & tak tinggalkan makanan for their pet cat. A magic man came & played tricks on the family upon their return (hiding all their food etc so they'll go hungry just like their cat) but it was the cat who begged the man to stop because dia kesian tengok her family suffer. See?!! Even after the cruelty inflicted upon them, cats still has compassion & capacity for forgiveness. Kalau manusia? Hrmmphh... jangan haraplah..kucing tak buat salah pun they dump kat tepi jalan without any feeling of guilt!

Btw this reminds me of poor Egeh & the many abandoned pets around us. I bet if the owner came and reclaim Egeh, Egeh will only be too glad to return to her previous owner, without feeling even a tiny bit of resentment. Poor Egeh, my thoughts & prayers are always with you.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Animal Lover

Putih is on a distinguished road

Sebelum nier I just read and kept updated about Egeh latest story....nak bc lebih2 nanti I nangis plak...
Tp still nak tau jgk...mcmana keadaan dia tp yg I tak fhm kenapa PAWS buat rules macan tue??? Kalau dah ada org yg sanggup adopt Egeh atau kucing2 lain wpun blum ready (spay dll)...just give it la drpd kena
Why???Why???
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Putih --

PAWS will not give out any animal before it is spayed or neutered. Why?

Because if adopters don't take responsibility to spay or neuter the animal, the animal will probably have more puppies or kittens, which will simply add to the problem of too many animals, too few homes.

PAWS and other shelters are already filled with too many homeless pets. Their policy is to prevent the birth of more, and we really need to respect that, I think.

Yes, Egeh's situation is very sad, but we should not blame PAWS -- her irresponsible owner did not spay her, vaccinate her, or make a serious effort to find her a new home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putih View Post
Sebelum nier I just read and kept updated about Egeh latest story....nak bc lebih2 nanti I nangis plak...
Tp still nak tau jgk...mcmana keadaan dia tp yg I tak fhm kenapa PAWS buat rules macan tue??? Kalau dah ada org yg sanggup adopt Egeh atau kucing2 lain wpun blum ready (spay dll)...just give it la drpd kena
Why???Why???
Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Yes, and also you guys forget that Egeh is SICK now. She has been exposed to infectious diseases at the shelter and because her previous owner had neglected to vaccinate her, she herself is now infected and if taken out, can spread the infection/s around and infect other vulnerable cats, please try to understand that. Even if she looks like she has recovered, you must remember that she may continue shedding the infection for several weeks. Or if she has become a carrier, she will continue to shed from time to time throughout her entire life, infecting other cats.

Be reasonable and don't get too emotional, kay? Think of the other cats especially kittens which can die if they pick up the infections, ya? PAWS is acting very correctly and responsibly. Not to mention the effort to make sure it is not adding to the number of suffering strays around. Not all adopters have proven to act responsibly, in fact many breach promises to neuter.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

Simon is on a distinguished road

Gosh, this is a heart breaking story, especially after seeing a once care-free and happy Egeh in her adoption pictures

I think the key question is to assess if PAWS are doing everything they are capable of doing to see Egeh through and back to full health. If they are doing everything they are capable of doing and the care is falling short of what is required, then the next step is to identify and offer assistance to meet that short fall in resources i.e. perhaps a new cage / in isolation / indoors / extra vet care / improved medication / more man power / (other?) On the other hand, if they are not doing everything they are capable of doing for the care of Egeh, and are unwilling to sensibly discuss the matter, then they are being negligent (wilfully).

I hope Egeh makes a full recovery and hope to see some new pictures of her back to her regal looking self in a new and loving home!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Simon, I am not for kill-shelters, neither am I a volunteer at PAWS but upon reading all the posts, especially by Azmyrax who had visited Egeh and had asked to take Egeh out from PAWS, may I share my macro view interpretation of the situation with you and anyone else who is interested, just to be fair to PAWS, kay?:

Egeh, a non-vaccinated long hair cat has been surrendered to a shelter named PAWS and when Azmyrax visited Egeh, the cat was reported as looking sick and depressed with signs of poo sticking to her body.

Because all sorts of animals get dumped at a shelter, there is a high possibility that Egeh who had failed to receive protection against the common killer viruses through the basic core-vaccinations by her previous owner, she had been susceptible to contracting them at the shelter.

No responsible cat owner would surrender their non-vaccinated pet to a high risk kill-shelter unless he/she cold-heartedly does not care if their pet lives or dies. Compounding this issue is the serious fact that there had actually been many people asking Egeh's previous owner to let them adopt Egeh.

But she had willfully chosen to send Egeh to PAWS. To me, this interprets that Egeh's previous owner actually never had adoption as a solution for Egeh at all but had actually sent Egeh to the shelter to die.

Now, back to PAWS. This is the conversation as reported by Azmyrax on 5 September after her visit to PAWS:

Hello all, so i went to see Egeh yesterday (saturday) morning. I talked to someone at PAWS office and asked him if i can take Egeh out. Sternly, he said i cant take her out. The conversation went like this lebih kurang:

Azmyrax: hi, i would like to adopt a cat here. The thing is, she is not yet ready for adoption.

PAWS: then, u cant take it out! It's not ready yet!

Azmyrax: yes i understand that all animals must be castrated before they can be released. It's just that i feel that this cat needs medical attention asap. i want to take her to the vet then once it got better i can take her here for spaying.

PAWS: what makes you think your vet is any better than my vets?!! I have three certified vets!!

Azmyrax: (teary eyes) i understand, but looking at her condition, im scared
she wont make it.im not saying that ur vets are not good, what im trying to do is to get her help asap

PAWS: i cant do anything! The system is like that! Did i invent the system?! No! If everyone comes here like you, how am i going to run this place?!!!!

Azmyrax: i understand abo...

PAWS: if u understand, u wont be asking this!

Azmyrax: yes, but i dont want this particular cat to die. You see she was abandoned by her owner...

PAWS: ive got over 200 cats here and if everyone comes in like this, tell me how am i going to run this place?!

Azmyrax: yes but i dont want her to die

PAWS: if that's the sacrifice that needs to be made in order to keep the system, then let a cat die!

Azmyrax: i understand about the system but saving this cat means a lot to me. U wouldnt want to sacrifice a cat that means a lot to me would you?

PAWS: I WOULD!

Azmyrax:(speechless and started to cry and left the office)

Now, casting emotions aside, and keeping level-headed to just pick up actual facts, it seems to me that PAWS is saying that it is following shelter procedures and policy to only allow a cat out for adoption ONLY after the animal is fit, healthy and neutered. PAWS says they have in attendance 3 certified vets.

Egeh will be spayed only after she is healthy enough to go through the operation. And Egeh is only open for adoption after being spayed - now, Simon, this touches on a long, long, deep issue involving numerous sad cases of broken promises to neuter the animals after taking them out of the shelter, especially the long and semi-long hairs and that probably explains PAWS' great hesitancy in releasing Egeh unneutered. Having dealt with the vast number of suffering strays, especially the dying tiny kittens I, too, has resolved never ever to release any of my rescues unneutered.

Azmyrax, was that Edward, PAWS shelter manager you were talking to or someone else? Don't worry too much about the tone of voice because operating a shelter is extremely stressful. It must have blown you off your feet what with your mind and heart all in turmoil over poor Egeh, ya? Never mind, dear, all that is important is that you have done all you possibly can, all let us all pray hard for Egeh. Meanwhile, you go visit Egeh as much as you can and comfort her, ya? Sick cats do heal better when they receive love, attention and soft words of encouragement, much like humans too. But make sure you wash your hands up to elbows well with soap upon leaving.

By the way, Azmyrax, you have not reported on the detail condition of Egeh at all apart from the earlier depressed and poo-messed fur. Did you not seek to be undated on her health condition, any infection diagnosis, poo condition, eating habit, etc., etc.? Did you talk directly to the vet/s in attendance?

Did you manage to spend time with Egeh, talking to her? If yes, how is her response? Better or the same? Or worse? Is she dirtier than the other day? Or slightly cleaner? What was she eating? Drinking? How are her eyes (eyes tell you a LOT about her condition). Big round, alert? Smaller? Closed? Third eyelid showing? Did she get up at all? How is her gait? Wobbly? Sturdy? Any better compared to the previous visit/s? How skinny is she? Skinnier than previous visit/s? Or slightly improved? How is her response to you? Did she purr? Any signs of recognition? Is she glad to see you? Or oblivious to your presence? Azmyrax, there are a lot of things to report.

Or did you just go and keep asking to take Egeh home and diorang melenting so you belah ...

Last edited by FurKids; 09-15-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Animal Lover

addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dalam kocek dan kereta saya selalu ada makanan kering Blackwood kitten dan makanan tin Aristocat Premium Tuna dan Chicken sebab bukan semua kucing boleh makan terus makanan kering (ada yg tak mahu sebab perut dia tak biasa), terutama anak kucing.

Saya offer Blackwood Kitten dan bukan Adult selalu tak kira untuk anak kucing atau kucing dewasa sebab pada fikiran saya, kucing tu saya jumpa sekali sahaja dan saya akan menggunakan peluang tunggal tersebut utk memberi kepadanya makanan yg paling padat dengan khasiat utk menyihatkan badannya.

Saya suka makanan tin Aristocat Premium tu sebab amat susah jumpa makanan tin jenis ayam. Daging tuna/ayam dalam tin tu pulak berketolan, tak macam banyak brand lain yg penuh dengan air dan jelly sahaja. Tak berbaloi.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:31 PM
was a cat before

azmyrax is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Azmyrax, was that Edward, PAWS shelter manager you were talking to or someone else? Don't worry too much about the tone of voice because operating a shelter is extremely stressful. It must have blown you off your feet what with your mind and heart all in turmoil over poor Egeh, ya? Never mind, dear, all that is important is that you have done all you possibly can, all let us all pray hard for Egeh. Meanwhile, you go visit Egeh as much as you can and comfort her, ya? Sick cats do heal better when they receive love, attention and soft words of encouragement, much like humans too. But make sure you wash your hands up to elbows well with soap upon leaving.

By the way, Azmyrax, you have not reported on the detail condition of Egeh at all apart from the earlier depressed and poo-messed fur. Did you not seek to be undated on her health condition, any infection diagnosis, poo condition, eating habit, etc., etc.? Did you talk directly to the vet/s in attendance?

Did you manage to spend time with Egeh, talking to her? If yes, how is her response? Better or the same? Or worse? Is she dirtier than the other day? Or slightly cleaner? What was she eating? Drinking? How are her eyes (eyes tell you a LOT about her condition). Big round, alert? Smaller? Closed? Third eyelid showing? Did she get up at all? How is her gait? Wobbly? Sturdy? Any better compared to the previous visit/s? How skinny is she? Skinnier than previous visit/s? Or slightly improved? How is her response to you? Did she purr? Any signs of recognition? Is she glad to see you? Or oblivious to your presence? Azmyrax, there are a lot of things to report.

Or did you just go and keep asking to take Egeh home and diorang melenting so you belah ...
hi furkids, selamat hari raya to you

because i came during weekends only, i didnt get to see the vet. the vets only come in on monday - thursday. i wasnt sure who i was talking to the other day. the first visit, i talked to a very nice man in PAWS office explaining to me that I need to wait for a week before Egeh could be released. Being new to animal shelter, i decided to go home and started this forum to ask for advice. The second visit, i talked to another man as my above conversation. I admitted that i was very excited to take egeh home that i expected paws to somehow released egeh so I was taken aback when it did not turn out well.

the second time i went to see her, i didnt see any third eye lids, but her eyes were half closed, like tak larat. but she managed to climb up and sat on the second floor of the cage. At least that showed that she can walk already

but comparing it to the first visit, she looked skinnier and her fur looked messier. her fur was still wet esp on her tail and hind legs. she was sleeping (i think) when i came. she looked up when i called her name, Egeh. but she didnt come closer, she looked very tired. her movement was slow (she moved her head only but very slow-mo)
Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Selamat hari raya kembali, Azmyrax!

Tell you what, friend, since you can only visit PAWS during weekends but the vets are in only on weekdays, you might try calling and ask to speak with a vet who is familiar with Egeh's case, and if that particular vet is indisposed at the time you call, you might ask if he/she could kindly return your call or find out when would be a convenient time for you to call again to talk to the vet or if the vet has a number that you can contact directly.

Good luck!