Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Nobu's Beloved

Jyuri is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need Help with Settling In a New Cat

Hi everybody,

I just got a mixed British shorthair yesterday and I know it's still a little too early to ask, but I was just curious as my cat isn't eating or drinking, or pooping or peeing for that matter! (Btw, do most cats drink out of a water bowl? Cause I bought a water bottle with roller ball) But right now, I replaced the food bowl with water instead since he hasn't taken a bit from the bottle. :/

I'm new to raring a cat so I'm a little worried for the little guy. He's 5 months old already, and the lady at the pet store said that he's already litter-trained.

I got him everything he needs (food bowl, litter box, scratch-pole) and the best thing is, I got the exact same food and litter that the store used. He just wouldn't react to them.

I read online that when bringing home a new cat, you have to keep it in a quiet, closed room so it feels safe. Problem is, I'm actually staying in a rented room where I'm most of the time in it. I don't make much noise, perhaps my presence is stressing him out? He's in a cage, where I leave the door open when I'm in, and close it when I'm out. The litter is outside the cage, next to it. I gave it a scarf(blanket) too.

I give it a few pets sometimes before I visit the toilet and before I leave the room to go out, but he seems so afraid still. Can't blame that cause he's still new. I know I have to be patient.

Anyone can give me a tip or something? Cause I'm worried if it persists, I'll have to bring him to the vet.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Help with Settling In a New Cat

Is the cat litter near the food? I mean like beside?

Cause if it is beside, I bet cats won't even eat cause their toilet it next to them.

But if you try to reassure the cat, you can keep it in a room with you, and talk to them. Don't worry, talk to open air also can. As long as he heard your voice. Let him explore, take your time as long as he eats too.

But if he is still scared, get a nice smelling wet cat food for a start. That's what I do when I bring new rescued kittens home. They get afraid and does not eats anything but when I opened a wet cat food, they reacted really fast. Maybe you could try that :)

Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Animal Lover

ilhamology is on a distinguished road

Try wet food...

I had a problem with a new kitten when i brought her home. She refused to eat even after three days.

But when I switched to wet dry, the smell was good enough for her to eat. And I always tried this simple trick.

Dip your finger in wet food and touch her nose with it. She will know you're a her food provider...

hope it helps.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Nobu's Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
Is the cat litter near the food? I mean like beside?

Cause if it is beside, I bet cats won't even eat cause their toilet it next to them.
No, the litter isn't right beside it. Though sometimes now I tend to just shove all the needs in the cage when I go out. Just yesterday morning, I left the litter box in the toilet cause it stunk, and Nobu peed on the carpet I gave him to sleep on! I'm so worried he just might poopthe next time I sleep and not give him the litter.

P/S: I usually put him in the cage when I'm out or sleeping cause I don't know what he'll do when I'm not watching him.

He meows a lot at nights when my and my room mate is sleeping. Still don't know why. :/

Thank you ilhamology for the reply. I refused to use wet food but I was about to feed him that and the 4th day, I found out that he was taking nibbles at the dry food he usually eats. That move of his made me keep the wet food away. Hehehe.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyuri View Post
No, the litter isn't right beside it. Though sometimes now I tend to just shove all the needs in the cage when I go out. Just yesterday morning, I left the litter box in the toilet cause it stunk, and Nobu peed on the carpet I gave him to sleep on! I'm so worried he just might poopthe next time I sleep and not give him the litter.

P/S: I usually put him in the cage when I'm out or sleeping cause I don't know what he'll do when I'm not watching him.

He meows a lot at nights when my and my room mate is sleeping. Still don't know why. :/

Thank you ilhamology for the reply. I refused to use wet food but I was about to feed him that and the 4th day, I found out that he was taking nibbles at the dry food he usually eats. That move of his made me keep the wet food away. Hehehe.
Jyuri, you said you left the litter box in the toilet "because it stunk, and Nobu peed on the carpet...!"

1. Cats have very keen senses of smell, much sharper than humans'. If the litter box is not cleaned at least once a day, of course your cat will refuse to use it! Do you enjoy using filthy toilets?

2. You said you removed the litter box and the cat peed on the carpet. Where should he go? Cats need access to clean litter boxes 24 hours a day. They cannot be trained to urinate or defecate only during scheduled hours.

3. Wet food, although often more expensive, is generally far better for the health of your cat. It's no surprise that Nobu would choose wet food over dry biscuit. If you withhold any food, your cat will eventually eat whatever you put down, but is that how you want to keep your pet healthy and happy?

It sounds to me like you're not taking Nobu's needs very seriously. Please either do some reading about good cat care or speak with friends who have experience. If you continue in this fashion, you will set yourself (and Nobu) up for failure. Cats can be enormously loving companions, but you need to be responsible in tending to their needs, too!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

I agreed. For me, it's not like he will need forever wet food. It's just for intro. Usually after I gave one pack food to make the kitties eat, I will switch back to the dry food. Its usually to open up it's interest in food in a new place.

Try that.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Nobu's Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
1. Cats have very keen senses of smell, much sharper than humans'. If the litter box is not cleaned at least once a day, of course your cat will refuse to use it! Do you enjoy using filthy toilets?

2. You said you removed the litter box and the cat peed on the carpet. Where should he go? Cats need access to clean litter boxes 24 hours a day. They cannot be trained to urinate or defecate only during scheduled hours.

3. Wet food, although often more expensive, is generally far better for the health of your cat. It's no surprise that Nobu would choose wet food over dry biscuit. If you withhold any food, your cat will eventually eat whatever you put down, but is that how you want to keep your pet healthy and happy?
Hi Maneki Neko,

I clean the litterbox everytime, right after he does his business. But I just can't seem to figure out why does the litterbox still stinks. >.<" It's not that I don't keep him clean, perhaps it's the litter that the pet store lady recommended to me that isn't high quality. But now, I spend extra time to pick out all the 'wet-looking litter' though I waste some that hasn't even come close to the pee or poo, but that seems to be working fine for me. Tried using the odor-away spray but that didn't work too. Haha.

Regarding him peeing on the carpet, I didn't expect he would do so as he peed about 6 hours before he did that. During the day, when the litterbox is right there, he didn't use it for about 16 hours! So I thought we wouldn't have done that but who knew? Cats are so unexpected.

About the food, he's eating perfectly fine for now, though I've consulted my mum's friend and she recommended me to feed him with Royal Canin in which I'm yet to try cause I just bought him a huge load of the pet store's pet food in which Nobu is comfortable with. It's gonna take time, but of course I want the best for him.

Thank you for your reply! Really appreciate it. :)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Hi Maneki Neko,

I clean the litterbox everytime, right after he does his business. But I just can't seem to figure out why does the litterbox still stinks. >.<" It's not that I don't keep him clean, perhaps it's the litter that the pet store lady recommended to me that isn't high quality. But now, I spend extra time to pick out all the 'wet-looking litter' though I waste some that hasn't even come close to the pee or poo, but that seems to be working fine for me. Tried using the odor-away spray but that didn't work too. Haha.

Regarding him peeing on the carpet, I didn't expect he would do so as he peed about 6 hours before he did that. During the day, when the litterbox is right there, he didn't use it for about 16 hours! So I thought we wouldn't have done that but who knew? Cats are so unexpected.

About the food, he's eating perfectly fine for now, though I've consulted my mum's friend and she recommended me to feed him with Royal Canin in which I'm yet to try cause I just bought him a huge load of the pet store's pet food in which Nobu is comfortable with. It's gonna take time, but of course I want the best for him.

I suggest not trying RC cause your cat will get really addicted and will have hard time switching back to original food.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Maneki Neko,

Hi, Jyuri -- I owe you an apology. My first reply was harshly worded.

Regarding the litter box, here is an article by a vet on litter boxes, why cats sometimes refuse to use them, etc. It has some excellent info on things you might want to try:

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

The same web site, by the way, has superb info on cat nutrition. A lot of info, to be sure, but it's worthwhile. :-)

Yes, cats are fussy creatures. I've read a lot of advice on getting them to eat which include trying different bowls and plates, putting the food in different locations, and mixing different types of food together. One other thing to consider is your cat's health -- as the vet who writes the web site says, wet food is closer to the animal's natural diet, but also, cats will be reluctant to eat biscuit if they have a toothache, simply because it's painful. An annual visit to the vet for a physical checkup is always a good idea, too.

Best wishes to you and Nobu...