Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Animal Lover

DaudLa is on a distinguished road
Default maine coon care tip(help)

I got my 1st maine coon. He's 4 months. For now I'm feeding him raw beef and fish oil suppliment. Seems like he's kinda skinny with abit (boroi) is it normal? The breeder said that he is gaining mass really quick. I I need to feed him double from other cat. Any tip? 1st time handling a maine coon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120131-00490.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	11380  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: maine coon care tip(help)

I got a maine coon too. But I got her when she is already adult. A member here, umm.. Coony, he is an expert at Maine Coon. He got a wondeful cattery so I am pretty sure he is good at all of this. =http://forums.petfinder.my/member.php?u=951
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaudLa View Post
I got my 1st maine coon. He's 4 months. For now I'm feeding him raw beef and fish oil suppliment. Seems like he's kinda skinny with abit (boroi) is it normal? The breeder said that he is gaining mass really quick. I I need to feed him double from other cat. Any tip? 1st time handling a maine coon
Hi, DaudLa,

Raw beef with fish oil supplement is NOT a complete diet. It's missing many essential vitamins and minerals. Please do spend some time consulting either a reputable MCO breeder, such as Coony, or a vet, or do some serious research on-line on feline nutrition. With the diet you're now feeding, though, your kitten is not getting all the nutrients he needs.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Animal Lover

After a lot of reading and browsing. I'm choosing a full raw diet. Raw meat and bones. Seems like a wolf survive the wild. Not just survive, but they're healty with beautiful long coat :) they don't use a degreeser shampoo, protein shampoo and a conditioner. They don't even get their 1st vaccinne :)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Animal Lover

cikuKIWI_maineCoon is on a distinguished road

full raw diet is not good for maine coon. maybe you can try Royal canin kitten36+royal canin fit 32 or only use kibble kitten36 until he 12months. you can give raw meat or broiled chicken twice a week as a treat. and dont give too much supplement to your maine coon because its not good when over supplmnt.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaudLa View Post
After a lot of reading and browsing. I'm choosing a full raw diet. Raw meat and bones. Seems like a wolf survive the wild. Not just survive, but they're healty with beautiful long coat :) they don't use a degreeser shampoo, protein shampoo and a conditioner. They don't even get their 1st vaccinne :)
Hi,

It's true that wild wolves don't need shampoo, vaccines and eat raw meat. But when they are sick, they either recover or die. I'm sure you don't want your cat to live like that, right?

Fancy shampoos are not necessary but vaccination is VERY important if you want your cat to live a long and healthy life.

Biasanya kucing below 1 year tak akan gemuk walaupun kuat makan sebab dia sangat aktif. Kalau perut nampak boroi, mungkin dia ada cacing. Tolong bawa jumpa vet secepat mungkin untuk vaksin dan deworm.

Kucing lawa2...jaga elok2 ya
Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Animal Lover

Cat Newbie is on a distinguished road

Hi DaudLa,

I have been feeding my Maine Coons with a combination of raw chicken livers, chicken fillet and top side beefs daily and occassionally on weekends with Salmon or Mackerel for the past 6 months and they love it to bits. Vitamin supplements on weekends too.

Each individual cat have different needs exactly. What you need to focus on is what works with your cat. If kibbles such as Orijen/Acana/Evo works for your cat than Orijen/Acana/Evo it is and if it is Whiskas; Whiskas it is. When it is even nasi with boiled fish, as long as your cat enjoys it and is healthy eating it.

My Maine Coons are big in size, healthy and no vet visit at all since I fed them with raws compare to kibbles. Not even a flu. My Queen Maine Coon just delivered 1 healthy kitten on January 23rd 2012. As I am typing this, I am looking at her feeding her baby with no problem at all.

You can read this http://www.petfinder.my/blogs/posts/..._Caviar_HQ.htm for more infos and this following statement "Mr Teh hit the nail on the head when he said there is actually no one food that is THE best food. It is all about finding the best food for your dog and every dog has its own needs. He cites the example of a dog that was given ultra premium kibble but had diarrhoea. This particular dog only does well on one of the cheapest kibble brands! His coat would be ever shiny and his health at its peak…on that cheap kibble food!". Substitute the "Dog" statement with "Cat" and it carries the same message.

Have a great endeavor and love with your Maine Coon. Please visit a Vet for the 'Boroi" tummy, just to be sure. It is normal for cat to get sick as human does too, any living thing exactly.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: maine coon care tip(help)

I agree wholeheartedly with Meffy's comments below.

First, it is not possible to compare a wolf's needs to those of a cat. Wolves, as canines, have dietary needs closer to those of the domestic dog. VERY different from the nutritional needs of any cat, whether domestic or wild!

Second, if you keep any long-haired cat, you will need to take good care of its coat, and proper shampoos are part of that. And yes, of course, the good products are expensive. If you rely solely upon diet to ensure that your Maine Coon's coat and skin stay beautiful and healthy, you'll end up with a mass of matted fur and a miserably uncomfortable and messy cat! When I hear how much time and money my friends spend bathing and grooming their Maine Coons, I thank heaven I've got short-haired cats! It's a real commitment, taking care of those coats.

What you feed your cat is important, of course, and there are dozens of opinions about what you should and shouldn't feed... raw, cooked, canned, dry... It's hard to know who is right! My point isn't that you should feed one thing or another, but please don't neglect the other important aspects of cat care -- vaccination, regular vet checkups, coat care, etc. -- and focus all of your attention on the food. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Hi,

It's true that wild wolves don't need shampoo, vaccines and eat raw meat. But when they are sick, they either recover or die. I'm sure you don't want your cat to live like that, right?

Fancy shampoos are not necessary but vaccination is VERY important if you want your cat to live a long and healthy life.

Biasanya kucing below 1 year tak akan gemuk walaupun kuat makan sebab dia sangat aktif. Kalau perut nampak boroi, mungkin dia ada cacing. Tolong bawa jumpa vet secepat mungkin untuk vaksin dan deworm.

Kucing lawa2...jaga elok2 ya
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Animal Lover

Actually my cat is full vaccine when it reach me. N 1 visit to the vet to check the cat's condition. And the (boroi) that I saidd earlier is just fat. After 1 month feeding him raw meat, minch beef, chicken breast. Skinned chicken wings with bones. He looks more better. With less of the (boroi). Becoming 5months old. 4.3kg. And I bath him once every 2 week with a cheap pet shampoo with conditioner, the coat shine, perfect skin condition. Just that the misai patah2 because he is too active playing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4075.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	11425  
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Animal Lover

posh_chiquita is on a distinguished road

anyone here know if maine coon can tolerate fish bones or not? im just afraid the bones could get stuck in their throat
my other cats (domestic local cats) are all fed with rice mixed with boiled fish (bones still inside) n there s never any problem