Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 10-18-2008, 08:55 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Exclamation Ingredients to be aware of:Pet Foods

Ingredients to be aware of:

salt
Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension -- used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.

corn syrup
A "sugar" that causes diabetes, weight gain, hyperactivity, fearful behavior, ill health.

corn
Inexpensive feed-grade can include moldy grain or fungus which has cause death.

rice hulls
Cheap filler, can be harsh on intestines.

rice gluten
Can encourage diabetes, a poor protein source/filler.
rice flour Cheap filler causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.

rice bran
Cheap filler can lead to digestive upset.
rice Cheap filler can cause diabetes in dogs, often indicates poorest quality possible.

sugar
(1 stars) found in 3% of pet food products analyzed. Sugar Leads to diabetes, hyperactivity and obesity. Can feed arthritis. BAD.

egg product
(1 stars) found in 6% of pet food products analyzed. Cheap source of protein, waste product of egg industry, free of shell.

dried animal digest
(1 stars) found in 1% of pet food products analyzed. Flavor enhancer. Is non-descriptive, digest is rendered animal tissue, including rancid or diseased parts.

soy flour
(1 stars) found in 8% of pet food products analyzed. Cheap source of grain protein, filler, can cause bloat/death in dogs.

iodized salt
(1 stars) found in 7% of pet food products analyzed. Used to cover rancid meats and fats, get cats to drink more - causes kidney dysfunction, hypertension.

onion extract
(1 stars) found in 1% of pet food products analyzed. Onions can be deadly to dogs.

meat and bone meal
(natural source of calcium) (1 stars) found in 4% of pet food

products analyzed
Non-descriptive indicates 4-D meat, cheapest source, can include diseased tissues plus bone meal can not be digested and assimilated as calcium!

natural and artificial flavors
(1 stars) found in 5% of pet food products analyzed. Poor quality of flavor additive, artificial flavors can be carcinogenic.

meat by-products
(1 stars) found in 18% of pet food products analyzed. Non-descriptive indicates 4-D meat, cheapest source, can include diseased tissues (tumors) and organs.

poultry by-products
(1 stars) found in 3% of pet food products analyzed. Ground up carcasses, can include dead, diseased foul, all internal parts void of healthy meat, includes feet and beaks.

ground corn
(1 stars) found in 3% of pet food products analyzed. Is not "whole ground," this is misleading, often indicates poor quality, can cause allergies.

ground rice
(1 stars) found in 17% of pet food products analyzed. Filler -- has been linked to diabetes, always indicates white rice, not whole grain but usually floor sweepings from rice industry.

caramel
(1 stars) found in 9% of pet food products analyzed. Sugar-based adds to hyperactivity, or can be prepared by ammonia process associated with blood toxicity in lab rats.

beef by-products
(1 stars) found in 3% of pet food products analyzed. Can include any internal part of the cow other than the meat, often from 4-D, rancid sources.

wheat gluten
(1 stars) found in 28% of pet food products analyzed. Poor protein source, used as a cheap, non-nutritive filler -- causes allergies.

wheat flour
(1 stars) found in 18% of pet food products analyzed. Poorly digested filler, can cause allergies and bowel problems.

brewer’s rice
(1 stars) found in 31% of pet food products analyzed. Waste product from breweries, cheap, non-nutritive filler can be harsh on intestines and lead to diabetes.

water sufficient for processing
(1 stars) found in 10% of pet food products analyzed. Robs protein from can food since it is used as non-nutritive filler instead.

corn gluten meal
(1 stars) found in 31% of pet food products analyzed. Waste product, cheap, non-nutritive filler but used as protein source -- can cause allergies and sugar imbalance.

animal digest
(1 stars) found in 13% of pet food products analyzed. Rendered, by chemical and/or enzymatic process, non-descriptive animal tissues used for flavor.

corn grits
(1 stars) found in 5% of pet food products analyzed. Poor source of protein and carbohydrates, filler.

chicken flavors
(1 stars) found in 1% of pet food products analyzed. Indicates artificial flavor which can be a carcinogen.

artificial flavor
(1 stars) found in 1% of pet food products analyzed. Can become carcinogenic. Produces allergies.

chicken by-product meal
(1 stars) found in 23% of pet food products analyzed. Ground up carcasses, internal organs, beaks, feet. Concentrated.

*1 Star indicates the grade of the food that most commonly uses the ingredient

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.