Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Animal Lover

mchelle is on a distinguished road
Question Pet relocation to Australia

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I couldn't seem to find one about it..

I will be relocating to Australia with me, and I am determined to bring along my Eng Bulldog. I have done much research and spoken to a lot of agents who were, unfortunately very unresponsive (I never even got a chance to catch them on the phone!!).

I understand exporting dogs to Aus is a very tedious and costly process but my little boy is a very important part of me and I'm not going to simply rehome him.

Does anyone have any idea on whether it is possible to get all these paperwork by yourself?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet relocation to Australia

Hi mchelle... *am not too sure where this thread should go too*

may i know when ur moving? and where ur staying currently?

I'm relocating mine too, still within the country, albeit I still need to go through the import and export matters... I too had the same difficulty and was initially directed to agents, but ended up finding the way to do it on own so I am working towards it now .

I'm still in the mid of the process, so I can only tell u what I know so far ya .

From here, I was told to 1st get my import permit from my place of destination, and only with this permit will they produce my export permit.

I contacted the Dept. of Veterinary Services at the place of my destination, and asked regarding requirements and procedures to get the import permit. Be sure to have ur date of traveling determined because the permits have their validity period.

And I am to present this import permit (the original copy), with my pets to the Vet (gov hospital) in order to get the export permit. The export permit is only valid for a 7-day period. As in once you get ur export permit, you gotta travel out within that 7-day period.

From here I'm dealing with:

Hospital Veteriner Wilayah Persekutuan
KM 4, Jalan Selar 4,
Off Jalan Cheras,
56100 Cheras, KL.

phone num: 03-9284 9716 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************03-9284 9716******end_of_the_skype_highlighting

I'm not sure where ur located, but maybe u can ring them and ask if they is a nearer hospital to ur place.

I hope this info can help u. and what I've mentioned here is what applies to me, I guess u can try and ask how it is wt ur case. All the best ya. dun worry, I'm sure it's possible, I have came across a guy at this hosp who was moving to the US with his dogs. It is possible, just a matter of time to get the documents ready
Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Nana

Thanks so much for your reply!!

I'm currently in PJ, Selangor and so far the only thing I've managed to do is get my pup his rabies shot. Are you relocating to Australia too? I have heard many vets and petshop owners tell me to just go through an agent due to their stingent processes.

I've so far had my pup go to the Gasing Vet Hospital, but I shall give your contact a ring as they sound like they understand the procedures as well.

How far in to the application process are you? Has your dog's blood test been sent to Australia?
Old 04-19-2010, 12:42 AM
PetFinder Guru

I'm moving just within Malaysia, to the East :), just a different state.

I suppose the procedure to get ur pet out from here is much or less the same. But it's the process to get him into Australia that differs.

I'm taking my cats with me. And my application for the import permit has been approved, I just need to get the original copy of the documents in my hands. All I had to do was get my cats implanted with microchip and rabies shot apart from the other basic vaccinations. Nothing about blood test and all. now I'm thinking, maybe it is a bit fussy in ur case ya??

I suppose what u need to know is how to get the import permit into Australia and hence you'd need to find contact to the veterinary services there.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 AM
PetFinder Guru

nur azua is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nur azua
Wink Re: Pet relocation to Australia

hye nana...nk tny..npe nk pndah state pon kne wt sume procedure tu utk cats? bkn leh bwk cm biase je ke?? sy cma nk taw..bnde ni applicable for all kind of animal ke nana?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nur azua View Post
hye nana...nk tny..npe nk pndah state pon kne wt sume procedure tu utk cats? bkn leh bwk cm biase je ke?? sy cma nk taw..bnde ni applicable for all kind of animal ke nana?
hi .

we all (heee.. me and the cats) nak pindah ke Sabah. So sbb utama I kene ikut procedure tu sbb nak kene naik airplane =). pindah negeri2 len nek kete, xde hal la kan, xsure la pulak klu nak naik airplane. tp apa2 pun mmg bl masuk ke Sabah dia ada cr sndiri, berbeza dgn nak masuk Sarawak.

and if you tnya utk animal lain (pindah masuk ke sabah), I think should be applicable jgk la .
Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
hi .

we all (heee.. me and the cats) nak pindah ke Sabah. So sbb utama I kene ikut procedure tu sbb nak kene naik airplane =). pindah negeri2 len nek kete, xde hal la kan, xsure la pulak klu nak naik airplane. tp apa2 pun mmg bl masuk ke Sabah dia ada cr sndiri, berbeza dgn nak masuk Sarawak.

and if you tnya utk animal lain (pindah masuk ke sabah), I think should be applicable jgk la .
oo..cmtu..nt sy nk g practical sarawak nk bwk hamster nk g try tny la kne wt x procedure tu..hehe...tq nana!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nur azua View Post
oo..cmtu..nt sy nk g practical sarawak nk bwk hamster nk g try tny la kne wt x procedure tu..hehe...tq nana!
oic.. cmtu kene tnya la jugak . nak bwk masuk poket xlepas kene scan nanti
Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Animal Lover

Bebeyaya is on a distinguished road

if i'm not mistaken, besides rabies, u need to make special arrangement for your dogs (when booking for flight), especially tell them and most importantly also note the temperature on the pet travelling case(with dark marker),eg, 20-26 °C.
besides that also need to prepare few small packs of dry foods and stick on the pet travelling case.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

Talking Re: Pet relocation to Australia

nana, mestila mau tny kne x wt cmtu..sbb klu practical sne,xde sape mau bela hammies 4ekor (tmasuk yg tgh bunting tu) kt semenanjung..so,nk xnk,terpaksa la kot bwk dorg sume..hehe..klu bwk pets,kne charge x?? hehe
Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebeyaya View Post
if i'm not mistaken, besides rabies, u need to make special arrangement for your dogs (when booking for flight), especially tell them and most importantly also note the temperature on the pet travelling case(with dark marker),eg, 20-26 °C.
besides that also need to prepare few small packs of dry foods and stick on the pet travelling case.
Hey bebe, thanks so much for the tip! My bullie is susceptible to heat and it can be fatal!

Dear everyone else, thanks so much for your replies but of course if anyone's experienced this entire process please please share your experience! It is much much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Pet relocation to Australia

Hi!! Mchelle, I don't have any experience relocate/transfer pets from Malaysia to Australia but from my observation while I was there in 2008, Australia & New Zeland are very strict with any animals/plants/food that we bring to their country. Even plane food are not allowed to enter their country. Plane food remained in the plane. Not even a cup of orange juice. I took the orange in the cup along with me and it was confisticated upon arrival at the immigration. They have loooooong list of what not to bring into their country. So u may want to dbl chk at the Australia High Commissioner for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Hey bebe, thanks so much for the tip! My bullie is susceptible to heat and it can be fatal!

Dear everyone else, thanks so much for your replies but of course if anyone's experienced this entire process please please share your experience! It is much much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Animal Lover

CanuckinKL2 is on a distinguished road

Taking dogs & cats into Australia is a long, arduous and costly process. But, is possible. The people I know who have done it have all gone through one person (I guess you can call him an agent) and even with that have had to follow-up on things themselves.

Pls refer to the following Australia government website for details/outline of the process.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

The process must be followed as outlined (microchipping, RNATT testing, Nipah virus testing, arrival times in Australia, vaccinations, crate sealing issues, etc). Do not expect any compassion or leniency. Believe them when they say they will send the animal back to Malaysia at your cost if things are not done correctly. Be prepared for a minimum one month quarantine in Australia.

I've heard through the grapevine that RNATT testing is only done at government clinic in Shah Alam and can only be sent to UK (cheaper but slow) or Australia (faster but pricey) only for accepted results.

I think you can do it yourself if you know the system here in Malaysia and have the time and patience.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

whoa!! that's a whole loads more than what i gotta do

but it's good to know that it is possible :) hope it works out well for u, mchelle..
Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Animal Lover

Hi everyone! I've completed about 60% of the procedure to export my bulldog to Australia and would like to share my experience and information that I've collected along the way. Hopefully this would be useful to a lot of 'momma's out there too! Bear in mind these are relevant to only CANINES and to export to AUSTRALIA, where the requirements are a whole lot more strict than other countries.

Once you have made up your mind that your pet will be travelling to Australia with you, you will need to decide if your pet is worth the cost. Having the tests, required medical shots and flight + quarantine in Australia can be costly. It will/may total up to RM10k altogether inclusive of a 30days quarantine in Australia (not including any medical attention your pet may need to receive during quarantine yet).

Below is the animal hospital which I had gone to in order to get the rabies shots etc done. Preparation of exporting your pet should start at least 6 months prior to your intention to depart Malaysia. Personally, I had the rabies shot done at another vet first (Gasing Animal Hospital) and it should cost about RM60 or so. I had my dog's rabies shot done in March 2010, and he'll be ready to depart KL in mid-October. After the rabies shot, you will need to wait 30 days (at least) for the vaccine to get into your pets system, after which you can start getting your pets rabies tests done (leading to lab reports etc).

After you have received your lab results from the animal hospital, it's best if you apply the import permit via online as it's alot faster and cheaper. I received my import permit within 3 days of applying. Airfares on MAS Kargo goes by your pets' weight (I think it's RM17 per kg) and its best to start booking their flights as soon as you have your import permit.

The table below basically structures out the step by step process AFTER 30 days of getting your shots done.The cost of moving the pets are quite costly, but after all my research and questions I find it cheaper to do it at the Animal Hospital myself (meaning there'll be a bit of running around to the animal hospital on your part) than going through an agent.

You can contact Nirmala (her contact is below) directly on her mobile, and just a piece of advice - you'll need to call her constantly to remind her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the basic step-by-step procedure that you'll need to go through. It was sent to me by the Animal Hospital. Bear in mind that as I've already had my bullie's rabies shot it was not included in the below.

Please find cost below, which is not inclusive of FREIGHT charges (we need your dog’s cage dimension for this):

Hope this helps everyone!

The contact person at the Animal Hospital:
Niremala Devi Sinniah (Nirmala)
Animal Medical Centre Sdn Bhd - Group of Hospitals
Wisma Medivet, No. 8 Jalan Tun Razak, 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Mobile: +6019 3538645 / Tel: +603 40435113 / 40432420 / Fax: +603 40413660
Email: enquiry@animalhospital.com.my
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Wow, Mchelle, thank you for posting this!

I knew that Australia had stringent requirements, but it's even more complex that I'd thought. Your detailed information should be greatly helpful to others who are facing the same process.

And kudos to you for loving your dog enough to take the time and spend the money to bring him with you!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Animal Lover

vincepetlover is on a distinguished road

I have some questions about the blood tests...

RNATT
ehrlichiosis (tropical canine pancytopaenia)
brucellosis
leishmaniosis
leptospirosis

Regarding the nipah virus test:

All cats and dogs from Malaysia must be tested for Nipah virus by the Serum Neutralisation test at the Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL), Victoria.

I thought only the nipah virus test had to be done in Australia by sending blood samples to them. I didn't know the other tests had to be done there too.

Why did you have to send it to the UK? Do you mean that there is not facility to test it in Malaysia?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Animal Lover

CanuckinKL2 is on a distinguished road

Malaysia, and I think Singapore, do have the facilities to do the test but Australia (AQIS-Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) will not accept test results done here (even though to my understanding Malaysia bought the same equipment Australia uses!!!!).

AQIS will only accept test results (RNATT) from the UK (cheaper but results take longer) or Australia (very costly but results quicker). It depends on how much time you have and cost consideration. For Nipah virus and the other tests I believe they will only accept Australian testing.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Animal Lover

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs.../info-pack-4#1

According to their web site, it does not say that they don't accept the test results from Malaysia and insist on using a UK lab or a specific lab.

The test for the Nipah virus needs to be done at a specific Australian lab for sure.

I will contact to ask them about this issue. Right now, my pets need to get the rabies jab first and wait at least 4 weeks before taking the RNATT test.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Animal Lover

Hi everyone...

I just submitted my pets' blood samples to a lab in the UK for the RNATT test.

Regarding the Ehrlichiosis, Brucellosis, Leptospirosis and Leishmaniosis tests for dogs, I was told my this helpful guy at the Shah Alam vet clinic that it will be sent to the Australia for testing.

Do you guys know how much the tests cost and which lab I have to send it to?

Last edited by vincepetlover; 01-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.