Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road
Default Senior Citizen Dogs

I've been browsing doggie and pet forums for some time, but one thing seems to stand out rather glaringly ... where are the forums for the Senior Citizen dogs? In lowyat.com.my, puppy.com.my, and even petfinder.my, most people post pictures of their new 'furkid' aged 1-2 years .. where are the oldies? :/

So I would just like to start a topic for to celebrate Senior Dogs!
Habits, care, and eccentricities

A few questions

1) How old is/was your dog?
2) What were the signs of old age? When did you realize your dog was getting on in age?
3) Diet changes? Health changes? Any particular measures you took to keep your senior dog as healthy as possible?
4) Did your dog develop any weird habits or routine as he grew older? Did his place in your family change?

Starting with Scampy-Rip 2008

1) 17 years

2) Not many signs of old age .. during middle age .. weight gain, was so tubby so had to cut down food a bit, walk regularly. Was a bit stiff in the last year, hard to get up in the morning.
-Started to lose teeth around 15 or so years- Mainly the teeth between the fangs and the back molars. So during the last year when he slowed down due to old age+cancer, had to soak his biscuits until it was mushy to feed him, otherwise its hard for him to eat
-Didnt have much greying around the muzzle .. in fact if you look at his puppy picture, exactly the same as when he was 17 .. except more handsome.
-Cloudy eyes
-Selectively 'deaf'. But biscuit and keropok sound can hear very well.
-Sense of smell became insanely developed. No one could hide in their room to eat biscuits in peace.
-Became a very heavy sleeper, and snored.

3) Didn't change his diet much.. mainly never noticed time passing by cuz he was really healthy.

4) Weird habits - Because he was old, he behaved like an old man. Even my parents referred to him as the 'old man' and gave him respect due to old people :P No scoldings, let him sleep in whichever room he wants, open door when he wants to come into the house or room etc. Very regular in his habits. By certain times must be fed, then be in the house. By 10 pm knocked out, snoring in the room :P

When he died everyone was SO sad, he was cremated and is now buried under his favorite flowers in the garden.

Buggy
1) 9 years
2) Still look like puppy .. always forget she is supposed to be middle aged.
3) Health like normal, just add vitamins to diet now just as extra.
- No signs of greying .. Maybe her fur is just a bit lighter than before?
- Teeth, eyes and hearing is fine
4) Only demands right now is to be in the house in the evenings ... when the sun is up she refuses to come into the house. Very weird.

Oh well, that was my senior dogs story.
Do share yours :)
Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Senior Citizen Dogs

P.S- Not gonna link any care for senior dogs la. So many sites if you google it :)
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

hi sashy!
i don't have any senior citizens dogs.. i have two dogs. one is two and the other is about 5 or 6.. we aren't sure about his age because he was already an adult when we adopted him. anyway he's not a senior citizen yet, but i've noticed that as he grows older he has picked up some quirks and other behavioral changes.

1. he used to love car rides so much but now he doesn't. they make him downright cranky after a while and he will growl softly throughout the ride. he used to love car rides so much he wouldn't even sit down properly. now he lies down and looks very angry.

2. sometimes he doesn't recognize people and lashes out at them as though they are threatening strangers. then it takes him a second to realize its someone he knows and he becomes nice again.. this never used to happen.. only in the past year or so..
Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Lynielime, glad to hear about your middle-aged dogs :D
Isn't it funny how they really are like people and have their little quirks as they grow older? And the great thing about being with a dog for a few years is that you can tell exactly what they are feeling from the way they look and behave. Its funny how your dog becomes so grumpy in the car now... did you change your car by the way?

It is strange that he lashes out at people sometimes, unless of course he got startled while he was sleeping/resting. One of my dogs used to be really weird about her food as she grew from puppy to adulthood. Just very protective of it somehow. Used to drive us nuts when she guarded bits of bone or whatnot. We learnt to keep the house really clean and free of food though, haha. Strangely for all her eccentricities (what a nice word my dad used to describe Muffin :) I still miss her after the 3 or 4 years she's been gone.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

hi sashy,
nope didn't change my car!! the only thing that changed was tony's behavior!! hahaahahhaaa he used to like looking out the car so much that his nose prints and snot were smeared all over the windows. i think his sudden change of heart may be because of one particular occasion when we were stuck in traffic going back to kl after spending the day at a farm in janda baik. he was probably already tired from the excursion and excitement.. i think he got restless coz the ride ended up being so long. Like a child he got cranky.. i probably got cranky too. he had enough and wanted to get home. i think that may have ruined car rides for him. his happy time became unpleasant.. either that or he's nuts

your muffin's protectiveness over her food and treats sounds just like tony. he's the same way. very nice usually, but watch out when he's got a rawhide bone. i think they jsut don't wanna share.. maybe they get crankier with age? tony behaves like a grumpy old man. i wonder what he'll be like in another 5 years
Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
PetFinder Guru

Agree, sometimes they can behave like a little child with their likes and dislikes, and I find older dogs can have loooong memories. Does he merajuk with you a lot too?
I don't remember my puppies or even young dogs 5 ish years old merajuk.. even Bugs doesn't merajuk much. But Scamp used to merajuk like mad. And when my sister goes home to KL after the weekend, he actually gets depressed the whole day before we can cheer him up.

I think your Tony will become grumpier old man in 5 years hehe
Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

Come on other people :) If you have any funny stories or experiences to share about your older dog do add to the topic!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Animal Lover

supermutts is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

more than 2 years, and no one would like to share stories about their old dogs?

TS's Scampy is 17! wow!
Buggy should be 12 now? hope she is OK

my mutts will be 14 this end of Dec.

they are mongrels and medium size.
so far there are no serious issues with their health, accept signs of aging.
I will get a complete blood test for them soon.

They have nuclear sclerosis (cloudy eyes) since 9 ? earlier, can't remember.
Owners have to know how to differentiate this to cataract
Hearing sensitivity is deteriorating, sleeps very deep, u can walk pass them make some noise, they won't notice or wake-up.
Mobility is still OK. " prancing " around.
Muscle mass has reduced. getting thinner ( like old people )
Sense of smell still OK. Sight - OK.
Appetite - very good.
Poo quality - good.
Old lady has big gut problem - seems to be under control by having digestive supp.
Food - home cooked + commercial - orijen, cali nat. + Senior dog supp.
Old man has more tear stain, need to clean very often, it is like the tear duct is a bit blocked?
Their fur seems to be softer like puppies
Greying of muzzle - yes.
Dental health?
I believe that old dogs don't naturally loose their teeth. Teeth gets loose because of tatar has 'taken' the roots away making the tooth lost grip with the jaw bone, and when the dog still use it heavily, it will eventually fall off.
If the teeth is well take care off, this won't happen.
My mutts have their teeth brushed everyday, and their food mashed,
so they will just gobble it down.

i hope more owners will contribute.
and Sashy will con't to talk about Buggy....