Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 03-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned

abgraldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would You Publicly Declare monetary reward for your lost pet?

Dear All,
I've read in the Malay Mail today about one owner publicly declare his monetary reward of RM 5,000.00, for his dognapped shih tzu. Apparently, the dognap act (which happened in the house compound) got recorded by CCTV but unfortunately the image was so poor.
I dont know about you guys, but I see this a bit dangerous and unhealthy trend (of publicly announce monetary reward and not that cheap also). With such a high reward, this kidnapping of pets surely will increase and surely stir some doubts to the other owner of purebreed (especially) or not - of their pets safety. I for one, now have to be extra cautious eventhough all my pets are housebound.
So, i think it is not really a wise idea of publicly declaring your monetary rewards. Just a word reward will do and pay it discreetly should your pets being found or returned.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Would You Publicly Declare monetary reward for your lost pet?

I agree, pakcu. This will only encourage pet nappers to go around kidnapping pets, and then returning them for the reward. Quite lucrative, if viewed from their perspective.

However, I think it's ok to offer a reward, but the amount should not be disclosed.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

Charlene, sad to say dognapping is quite common nowaday. Every now & then I had owners coming to my shop to post their lost pet & in many cases they are actually dognapped & not accidentally let out. So whether you like it or not this is the fact & we just had to be extra careful with them. Kidnapping is a very serious offend so now ppl are resorting to petnapping which they can always claim they found it in the street.

Offering reward for lost pet without the amount stated normally will attract no interest for the finder or the dognapper. I had a case of a cat owner whose house members accidentally let out their cat in their condo. They went around looking for it & asking ppl staying at the condo if they had seen the cat in vain. They decided to post RM2000 reward for their cat which they only paid RM900 for it as they desperately want to get back their cat. You know what? within the very same day or rather a very short while they put up their flyer someone came knocking at their door with their cat & that person is only a floor below. You see, this is a very realistic world, no money no talk.

Another case this one is dognapped, the owner post a reward for RM2500 if I'm not wrong with 20,000 flyer printed flooding the garden around them. Well! the reward amount did attract the dognapper but he demanded for more & the owner is so happy & anxious to have their dog back & were more then happy to pay. Off coz after this they just had to be very careful with their dog.

So! you see, declaring your reward amount do help & it will show how sincere you are with your reward then to just state reward with no monetary amount. Off coz a generous reward will increase the recovery chances of your pet but you also had to decide & move fast & not only after a few days to a week after.

This is not about encouraging this is the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
I agree, pakcu. This will only encourage pet nappers to go around kidnapping pets, and then returning them for the reward. Quite lucrative, if viewed from their perspective.

However, I think it's ok to offer a reward, but the amount should not be disclosed.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

abgraldo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coony View Post

So! you see, declaring your reward amount do help & it will show how sincere you are with your reward then to just state reward with no monetary amount. Off coz a generous reward will increase the recovery chances of your pet but you also had to decide & move fast & not only after a few days to a week after.

oohh pity to those sincere pet owners but cannot afford to publicly offer generous rewards for their kidnap pets... .... or are they really not sincere enough?... sad.. now sincere comes with monetary values...

So guys, don,t lost your pet!, adopt extra safety measures!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Wow. didn't know of such cases. hmm.....looks like "money talks" extends to to "lost" pets, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coony View Post
Charlene, sad to say dognapping is quite common nowaday. Every now & then I had owners coming to my shop to post their lost pet & in many cases they are actually dognapped & not accidentally let out. So whether you like it or not this is the fact & we just had to be extra careful with them. Kidnapping is a very serious offend so now ppl are resorting to petnapping which they can always claim they found it in the street.

Offering reward for lost pet without the amount stated normally will attract no interest for the finder or the dognapper. I had a case of a cat owner whose house members accidentally let out their cat in their condo. They went around looking for it & asking ppl staying at the condo if they had seen the cat in vain. They decided to post RM2000 reward for their cat which they only paid RM900 for it as they desperately want to get back their cat. You know what? within the very same day or rather a very short while they put up their flyer someone came knocking at their door with their cat & that person is only a floor below. You see, this is a very realistic world, no money no talk.

Another case this one is dognapped, the owner post a reward for RM2500 if I'm not wrong with 20,000 flyer printed flooding the garden around them. Well! the reward amount did attract the dognapper but he demanded for more & the owner is so happy & anxious to have their dog back & were more then happy to pay. Off coz after this they just had to be very careful with their dog.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgraldo View Post
oohh pity to those sincere pet owners but cannot afford to publicly offer generous rewards for their kidnap pets... .... or are they really not sincere enough?... sad.. now sincere comes with monetary values...

So guys, don,t lost your pet!, adopt extra safety measures!
Sad to say, this is how it work nowaday with most ppl, not that I agree to it.
So guard your pet like how you will guard your life.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

This is where socializing your dog becomes a contradiction. Would you rather have your dog be friendly to everybody and will willingly follow anybody or would you rather have a dog who is only friendly to your family members? Think dog nappers would rather go for those who are friendly rather than those that are going to bite their heads off.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Niveks got a point