Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default How does a microchip system work?

Here have a basic knowledge,
The microchip is about the size of a grain of rice. Once installed, it sits safely between the shoulder blades of the pet. The animal feels nothing as the chip quickly sends its ID number back to the scanner where it is displayed in the viewing window.

Once an animal is injected with the chip, he can be identified throughout his life by this unique ID number. His identification cannot be lost, altered or intentionally removed.

Note: Scanners work by sending and receiving a radio signal matched to that in the microchip.

Microchips most widely read by breeders, vets and shelters in the United States work at 125 kHz. (Microchips are not GPS devices.)

The size

How to check

by microchipid

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: How does a microchip system work?

Thanks for the interesting info!

Let's microchip everybody as well so we don't need to carry along our IC haha..

For followup reading, you can also check out the site below, which details on the microchipping process, effects and recommendations:
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/pet-microchip.htm

Hmm.. wonder if the animal will feel some discomfort after being microchipped... its like some foreign little object being stuffed into your body, pressing against your flesh and stretching your skin...

Last edited by AndyKoh; 06-06-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Many people still dont know how does a microchip system work. I try find some article with picture to our forum member. Thank microchipid company article.

<object width="570" height="467"><param name="movie" value="http://www.ntv7.com.my/App_Themes/ntv7/swf/FlvPlayer_570x467.swf"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="flv=http://medprima.vo.llnwd.net/o18/u/ntv7/sec/venus/venus_180608_01_cft.flv&title=Venus: 18 June 08"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.ntv7.com.my/App_Themes/ntv7/swf/FlvPlayer_570x467.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="570" height="467" flashvars="flv=http://medprima.vo.llnwd.net/o18/u/ntv7/sec/venus/venus_180608_01_cft.flv&title=Venus: 18 June 08"></embed></object>

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 06-19-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Animal Lover

altus1314 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to altus1314
Question Re: How does a microchip system work?

but the pet shop told it is no good for insert microchip to dog.I have microchip i just keep it on my desk only. Is that microchip will harm animals/pet?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
PetFinder Moderator

First time heard people teach the pet onwer dont need do that. Ask that pet shop eat my dog shit.
insert microchip to dog is use for detact your dog data. It useful when dog missing. It might help find back the owner.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Animal Lover

altus1314 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to altus1314
Question Re: How does a microchip system work?

now my dog already 2 years old still can inject the microchip..If can how i inject it?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
First time heard people teach the pet onwer dont need do that. Ask that pet shop eat my dog shit.
insert microchip to dog is use for detact your dog data. It useful when dog missing. It might help find back the owner.
Wah....so fierce ...anyway the pet shop owner is a nice person, dont ask him to eat your shit la...so cruel..
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

The Topic that you discuss here do not have a specific answer whether Micro chipping is good or bad. Many of us, people around the world have their own thinking whether to insert or not to insert Microchip inside animal body.

Micro chipping is quite the hot topic in the world of animals today but is it a solution or something much more sinister?

With so many dogs and their ability to do Houdini acts, we need to know how to keep them safe and protected as well as how to recover them if they should make their great escape. Is micro chipping the answer for your dog?

This is actually another one of those controversial subjects in the world of animals. Part of the problem is that there isn't a standard universal microchip scanner because they are all proprietary. That means that each company who makes them can each only read certain microchips. There is a plan afoot to not only push for a mandatory universal scanner but to mandate by law all domesticated animals -meaning ALL not just dogs -be microchipped. Many are singing the praises of this movement, but I for one am not one of them.

You may be wondering how someone, such as myself, would not be for the mandatory microchip movement, especially as an outspoken proponent on animal welfare. That is exactly why I'm not -as an outspoken proponent on animal welfare not animal rights. Before you get in an uproar let's just lay down some of the pros and cons of micro chipping.

Pros

If our dog should be lost during a storm, or for any reason it would be much easier to be able to reunite with our lost pet so much sooner. In fact, in the book I co-authored with Dr. Jill Elliot, Whole Health for Happy Dogs, we said as much. In fact, Dr. Elliot had one wonderful case of how a lost dog was reunited with the owner because of the implanted microchip in her client's dog. The likelihood of this dog being reunited with its owner otherwise was practically zero to none.

Another pro is that owners would be forced by law to do the responsible thing for their pets' welfare. This is the extent of the pros I see but is this really a "pro" or is it a "con"?

Cons

Why should the government mandate any more laws that take away my rights as a pet owner and caregiver? If we decide to bring a pet home then it is our responsibility NOT the government's to tell me how to care for it. I know there are so many people that don't do the right thing who are horrible pet owners but again, that is the price we pay for a truly free society. There will always be rotten apples in any society whether it is a free one or not. I do not want nor need more government interference in my life. I see this mandatory micro chipping as a total invasion of my privacy and an erosion of my rights as a citizen of the USA.

There is an insidious movement underfoot in the world regarding animal rights and I for one am not on the side of this movement. I am rather, on the side of animal welfare because I love and care for animals and especially our domesticated animals. The mandatory micro chip would mean not only could we find our animals but the government could find and track us as well because it's not really the animals being tracked but us. Think about it: it is your information in this micro chip along with your pets' information. I seriously doubt that the government cares a whole lot about our domesticated animals and we don't have to look far to know that. Consider the hurricanes Katrina and Rita of 2005 to see how much concern our government really had for our pets. For a person who grew up reading such authors as Orson Wells, micro chipping bodes too Orwellian for an independent thinker such as me.

I leave the ball in your court to decide what is best for you and your pets, but will the government give you the same consideration?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

My cat wears this around his neck.....
But then, he's an indoor cat, so chances of him getting lost is 0.00001%.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
Wah....so fierce ...anyway the pet shop owner is a nice person, dont ask him to eat your shit la...so cruel..
just added more color only. no really asking people eat dog shit. Dog shit full of minerals and carbohhydrates. Need advise from veterinarian before try it. Don't try at house.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus1314 View Post
now my dog already 2 years old still can inject the microchip..If can how i inject it?
Dude, Normally my dogs done when puppy moment. The Vet have do this service. check with your vet. Why thinking want have microchip since already two year?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Microchipping can be done anytime and any age. Some humans needs to be keep tracked off. Keeping more than 4 dogs is very handful for many ppl. Some keep ridiculous amounts even though they cannot afford the dog or cat and the quality of living sucks. I would only ask for the government to allow applications for special cases if someone would want to keep more than a certain amount of dogs especially large breeds. Government should put affordability and also training as a criteria other than just space.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

I'd like to add a suggestion in regards to injecting a microchip into your pet.

Since the chip is not immediately visible, it would be a good idea to include a collar with a small ID tag so that those who didn't think of checking for a microchip could see that the pet is not a stray or abandoned.

The ID tag does not need to contain your personal details as not everyone wants the whole world to know their address, but you could include details like how to contact you if the pet is found, or alert the person who found it that the pet is microchipped.

Just my 5 cents!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
just added more color only. no really asking people eat dog shit. Dog shit full of minerals and carbohhydrates. Need advise from veterinarian before try it. Don't try at house.
WoW!! No Bad, you tried it before...hehehe...anyway nobody dare to do this...hehe Thanks for ur advise
Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
WoW!! No Bad, you tried it before...hehehe...anyway nobody dare to do this...hehe Thanks for ur advise
Anyone microchipped cats?..Been reading about it and would it be beneficial as we are in Malaysia.. I do have engraved tag ID now on my cats collar but I dun think that would be enuff as I plan to keep them for the rest of their lives...Plan to ask my vet when going for the next vaccination for my kitty... But before that, I need to know forumers opinions first..so that I won't 'eat' the vet words 100% and to know what to ask for clarification...