Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Animal Lover

xmascat is on a distinguished road
Default keeping cats in apartment

hi, does anyone have experience in keeping cats in your apartments? i'm living in an apartment that does not allows any pets :( wonder what will happen if i keep a pet.

any advice? thanks~
Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Cat Slave

Fareen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: keeping cats in apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascat View Post
hi, does anyone have experience in keeping cats in your apartments? i'm living in an apartment that does not allows any pets :( wonder what will happen if i keep a pet.

any advice? thanks~
I live in a townhouse where our purchasing contract states that we can't have pets i.e cats and dogs. But almost everyone has dogs

I guess as long as people dun complaint it's okay.

I have many friends who live in apts that dun allow pets but they still have cats and indoor dogs. Again, as long as there are no complaints. If there are, I believe the management would remove the pets - especially if there is a contract signed that states 'no pets allowed'.

Proud mummy of Sophie / Dexter / Yuki / Heidi / Optimus

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:

any advice? thanks~
Fareen raised a good point -- you may want to keep your eyes and ears open to see whether anyone else in your apartment complex is keeping pets. The rules in my complex also forbid pets of any kind, but I know of several people who are keeping cats, and I can occasionally hear the bark of a small dog. I think some complexes are more strict about enforcement than others.

If you adopt a female cat, you'll want to be sure she is spayed, because the yowls of a queen in heat are loud enough to raise the dead, and your neighbors are sure to complain.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM
LulaBee

Lionking is on a distinguished road

Quote:

any advice? thanks~
i live in apartment too, got no problem, of course the management does not allow any pets, but many of the residents have pets especially cat. My neighbour also got one..as long as theres no complaints, hehe..

I think it is more easy having pet in apartment beside having it in land house, for me lor..
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

xmascat, conditions GREATLY differ from place to place. Some are more relaxed than others. There are some that are very, very strict and the pets are forcibly removed to shelters (almost always to kill-shelters that do not honestly inform customers upfront that in almost all cases the animals surrendered have a very, very short shelf life, i e. destroyed very shortly after surrender).

And simply because other neighbours are keeping pets, have been for elephant years and no one appears to be enforcing the rule so far does not mean that suddenly overnight some big boots will not be knocking at your door to confiscate your pet and there is nothing you can do about it.

I think that if pet owners are really serious about keeping pets in a no-pets area, a better resolution would be for you guys to get together to campaign to get the rule changed instead of having to live in fear and anxiety that your pet's life will always be in danger. At the same time you will be doing something positive to ensure that more animals can have a decent home.

The danger is very real. Good luck, people!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
PetFinder Guru

kitty_inky is on a distinguished road

well i live in the apartment..and i got 8 cats....true the management doest allow us to keep animals in the house but like everyone said as long as the pet of yours doest create trouble towards your neighbours ..it just fine.the most challenging part is how you manage their poo and pee.you have to make sure your house is always clean and odour free....

Invest a bit on the sand..and food.So that you wont have trouble with the strong smell o their poo and pee.Next manage the poo waste properly.I used to wrap their poo in thick newspapers.and wrap prperly in the garbage plastic.

Dont let your your pt roaming alongthe corridors.make sure when u want o take them out use carrier..because we depend on the lift to go up and down rite.They will give nasty look and smirk to us if they see us holding our pet without using carrier
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

I too live in an apartment and I have 11 cats and so far no one has complained but if they do they will surely get a good sounding from me (like our June) as my cats does not bother them at all as they are housed 24/7 in the apartment.

Also, I do agree with Kitty_Inky.... you must invest in good sand and good food. I just found a new litter called Tesco Premium Cat Litter. Its very fine and light and therefore it dries up faster thus no smell! Also I clean the poo box once in the morning and once in the evening. Litter box is also clean at the end of every week.

Secondly of all hygiene and cleanliness is a must! This is for your own good health especially I have two kids as well as the people surrounding you. Luckily my pets does not roam outside the apartment door that is also because the door is always closed

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
PetFinder Guru

kitty_inky is on a distinguished road

thats true felix...i also sleep with my cat.therefore everyday must vacuum and mop the room ..and at the same time i am 7 months preggie.hehehehe.tiring a bit but worth it.i dun have any problem at all.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Animal Lover

xmascat is on a distinguished road

do they really have the rights to barge into our houses to confiscates our pets?

also, i heard there is a law in malaysia restricting pet dogs in high rise building, is there any law for cats? anyone can share the contents of this rule?

thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_inky View Post
thats true felix...i also sleep with my cat.therefore everyday must vacuum and mop the room ..and at the same time i am 7 months preggie.hehehehe.tiring a bit but worth it.i dun have any problem at all.
Yes, that's right Kitty, I also vacum twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Mop only once. I find that vacum is sooooooooo much cleaner than sweeping! I love my vacum so much

Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
do they really have the rights to barge into our houses to confiscates our pets?

also, i heard there is a law in malaysia restricting pet dogs in high rise building, is there any law for cats? anyone can share the contents of this rule?

thanks
If your cats is making a nuisance by making loud noises at night or roaming around and poo poo near their house, YES the authorities have a right to give you a warning but not barge in and confiscates your cats. If you still do not comply than they will send you a second warning and than confisicate the pets I think.

That is why it is most important to keep our neighbours happy. Some neighbours have nothing better to do than complain eventhough our pets did not do anything to them. Luckily my apartment is at the corner and I have nobody at my left or right handside Only one apartment opposite my door and even that is Indonesian people. If they complain I will report them to the Immigration department ha..ha... kuar jahat I But for my cats I am willing to do anything.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default keeping cats in apartment

Nurul,apa ko cakap mmg betul semua though u might come across some stupid neighbours who can't stand at a sight of even 1 strand of cat's fur.

Xmascat, I have 13 cats in my apartment. All are kucing kampung I rescued. tried to put them for adoption but failed because they are not DLH.They are plain kucing kampung short hair.I can't throw them back to the street so I keep them. Everything was fine until recently (after CNY 2009 to be exact) I have new neighbour moved in next door. She complained everything abt my cats. My cats never go out.They are totally indoor cats. The sound of single foot step outside make them run helter skelter. This mentally disturb woman complained abt my cats playing at my balcony. MY BALCONY. The result?? DBKL came to my house and issued 1st warning.The 2nd warning came 3 mths later and I have to remove all the cats outside my unit (they are strays I fed regularly) to my father in law's house in Klang (luckily his house is in kampung). DBKL allowed me to keep the cats inside the house provided I will never let the cats go outside. Fine with me.But lately this woman trying to get rid of my cats again. I dunno what else I should do to please her. Here I am trying to be a good and considerate neighbour but she keep on complaining abt everything. Hey!! She even complained abt her baby girl crying to much. She's one sick and mentally disturb woman.

Moral of the story?? Chk around your neighbourhood before taking in any pets. U might end up like me. Have to deal with a psycho neighbour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
If your cats is making a nuisance by making loud noises at night or roaming around and poo poo near their house, YES the authorities have a right to give you a warning but not barge in and confiscates your cats. If you still do not comply than they will send you a second warning and than confisicate the pets I think.

That is why it is most important to keep our neighbours happy. Some neighbours have nothing better to do than complain eventhough our pets did not do anything to them. Luckily my apartment is at the corner and I have nobody at my left or right handside Only one apartment opposite my door and even that is Indonesian people. If they complain I will report them to the Immigration department ha..ha... kuar jahat I But for my cats I am willing to do anything.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

So moral of the story ... if your neighbour complains about your cats, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are an irresponsible, messy, dirty cat owner, your neighbour just cannot tolerate ANY CAT in the area - inside or outside ANY APARTMENT, tak kira siapa punyer apartment, yours or dia punyer ... and all it takes is ONE phone call to the authorities and and ALL your cats including inside your house are given the DEATH SENTENCE.

Even though it sounds unfair, this is the real situation because action from the authorities are all complaints-based - i.e. no complaints, can close one or even two eyes kalau mau ... but the moment someone complains, kes nanya .... you can even try rushing to Setapak or the designated pound for your area and fail to find your pet there because the irresponsible contractors boleh kumpulkan all together from all different areas (this is already a common complaint from the public who failed to find and recover their captured pets) and simply send them anywhere they like without your knowledge, for all you know, they might have been thrown into the lion's den at zoo negara for dinner ......

.... remember poor Mama Milo?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Animal Lover

itssg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Nurul,apa ko cakap mmg betul semua though u might come across some stupid neighbours who can't stand at a sight of even 1 strand of cat's fur.

Xmascat, I have 13 cats in my apartment. All are kucing kampung I rescued. tried to put them for adoption but failed because they are not DLH.They are plain kucing kampung short hair.I can't throw them back to the street so I keep them. Everything was fine until recently (after CNY 2009 to be exact) I have new neighbour moved in next door. She complained everything abt my cats. My cats never go out.They are totally indoor cats. The sound of single foot step outside make them run helter skelter. This mentally disturb woman complained abt my cats playing at my balcony. MY BALCONY. The result?? DBKL came to my house and issued 1st warning.The 2nd warning came 3 mths later and I have to remove all the cats outside my unit (they are strays I fed regularly) to my father in law's house in Klang (luckily his house is in kampung). DBKL allowed me to keep the cats inside the house provided I will never let the cats go outside. Fine with me.But lately this woman trying to get rid of my cats again. I dunno what else I should do to please her. Here I am trying to be a good and considerate neighbour but she keep on complaining abt everything. Hey!! She even complained abt her baby girl crying to much. She's one sick and mentally disturb woman.

Moral of the story?? Chk around your neighbourhood before taking in any pets. U might end up like me. Have to deal with a psycho neighbour.
Kak June, give her a kitten and teaching her about the fun of keeping a kitty...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

So, Furkids, based on what you've said here, it doesn't matter whether one lives in an apartment or landed house. It doesn't matter whether one keeps pets responsibly or lets them run riot. At the end, some intolerant neighbor will make one complaint, and the pets will end up as food for zoo animals.

What can we conclude from this? No one (except perhaps the Royalty) should even CONSIDER keeping pets.

Is that REALLY the moral of the story you wanted to impart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
So moral of the story ... if your neighbour complains about your cats, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are an irresponsible, messy, dirty cat owner, your neighbour just cannot tolerate ANY CAT in the area - inside or outside ANY APARTMENT, tak kira siapa punyer apartment, yours or dia punyer ... and all it takes is ONE phone call to the authorities and and ALL your cats including inside your house are given the DEATH SENTENCE.

Even though it sounds unfair, this is the real situation because action from the authorities are all complaints-based - i.e. no complaints, can close one or even two eyes kalau mau ... but the moment someone complains, kes nanya .... you can even try rushing to Setapak or the designated pound for your area and fail to find your pet there because the irresponsible contractors boleh kumpulkan all together from all different areas (this is already a common complaint from the public who failed to find and recover their captured pets) and simply send them anywhere they like without your knowledge, for all you know, they might have been thrown into the lion's den at zoo negara for dinner ......

.... remember poor Mama Milo?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

hatemetoday is on a distinguished road

saya berkongsi dgn 13 ekor kucing dlm ruang apartment berukuran tak lebih dari 900 sq mtr...

makan time...tiada dlm gambar..Acap n Itam..makan di area courtyard

syukur stakat ni belum ada komplen..dan berharap keadaan akan terus begitu selama mungkin...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Cat Slave

Fareen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemetoday View Post
saya berkongsi dgn 13 ekor kucing dlm ruang apartment berukuran tak lebih dari 900 sq mtr...

syukur stakat ni belum ada komplen..dan berharap keadaan akan terus begitu selama mungkin...
Sedap nampak. Makan apa tu?

Proud mummy of Sophie / Dexter / Yuki / Heidi / Optimus

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Animal Lover

haeiroul23 is on a distinguished road

amboi ramainye...macam ade jamuan je...leh x klu bobot n mak limah turut serta??klu makan berdua je tiap2 hari bosan jugak kan...
Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Bouquet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemetoday View Post

Mak oii... geramnya tengok diaorang makan.mmm.. Eh? Semua sama umur keh? Sama aje saiz dia
Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 PM
PetFinder Guru

hatemetoday is on a distinguished road

fareen...tak ada apa yg sempesel..blueseal gaul fasiket jaa

haieroul...jemput le dtg..makan ramai2 mmg best ..cepat ja abes..

bouquet...yg benarnye ada 6 ekor kitten 4 months..tapi dorang seme dah sama beso jek ngan uncle2 dorang yg dah adult tuh....