Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-11-2009, 11:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nana is on a distinguished road
Default my cat's meowing sounds different today.

Hi.. I really hope I get replies to this soon...

I just noticed that Bulan's meowing sounds different today. He is 1 year 9 mths, neutered male. His meowing is usually sharp, short, brief, very clear, but today it was slow, soft, and kind of a dragging sound.... usually it's like meow! meow!, but now it's meeeeeeooooooorrrwwwww..... (heee.. i hope you get the idea).

I may be overly concerned...but I'd like to know if this is something to seriously be worried about... I can't seem to find anything in the book... nothing goes under the keywords of 'meows'/'voice'/'sound'...so what could it be?

His appetite is fine as usual, active, eyes are normal, nose also normal, nothing watery or what so ever.... but he seriously sound different... anyway with experience? pls share.. I'm seriously worried... I just noticed it today.. but come to think about it, he has been kinda quiet in the past week, but appears completely healthy....
Old 12-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Cat Slave

Fareen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my cat's meowing sounds different today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Hi.. I really hope I get replies to this soon...

I just noticed that Bulan's meowing sounds different today. He is 1 year 9 mths, neutered male. His meowing is usually sharp, short, brief, very clear, but today it was slow, soft, and kind of a dragging sound.... usually it's like meow! meow!, but now it's meeeeeeooooooorrrwwwww..... (heee.. i hope you get the idea).

I may be overly concerned...but I'd like to know if this is something to seriously be worried about... I can't seem to find anything in the book... nothing goes under the keywords of 'meows'/'voice'/'sound'...so what could it be?

His appetite is fine as usual, active, eyes are normal, nose also normal, nothing watery or what so ever.... but he seriously sound different... anyway with experience? pls share.. I'm seriously worried... I just noticed it today.. but come to think about it, he has been kinda quiet in the past week, but appears completely healthy....
Hmm coincidentally I just read a para in my cat book today re meowing. Although not much details. It just says cats are capable of as many as 100 different vocalisation.

When they're young, the meow is more squeaky. I guess thats Bulan's normal meow meow as you tried to explain But the meow deepens overtime.

So tak taulah maybe Bulan is just getting an older 'meow?'

Not sure why Bulan's more quieter than normal tho. Maybe you should just observe him closely incase of anyting. Btw, I'm the paranoid one when it come to my babies...tak makan sikit dah risau...trying to listen to hubby's advise to stop hovering around them and chill a bit thought it's easier said than done!

Proud mummy of Sophie / Dexter / Yuki / Heidi / Optimus

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareen View Post
Hmm coincidentally I just read a para in my cat book today re meowing. Although not much details. It just says cats are capable of as many as 100 different vocalisation.

When they're young, the meow is more squeaky. I guess thats Bulan's normal meow meow as you tried to explain But the meow deepens overtime.

So tak taulah maybe Bulan is just getting an older 'meow?'

Not sure why Bulan's more quieter than normal tho. Maybe you should just observe him closely incase of anyting. Btw, I'm the paranoid one when it come to my babies...tak makan sikit dah risau...trying to listen to hubby's advise to stop hovering around them and chill a bit thought it's easier said than done!
thanks fareen (errmm.. kak fareen, I think!)
dah nak start nangis dah, sb google tadi, found something on yahoo.. about the possibility of some kind of cancer... which may be logical, in human pun cancer show no symptoms, until at its worst stage... so in cats .

I hope it's like you say la.. an older 'meow'... he does seem to be getting mature... 100 different sound? but this time dia completely change, the sharp 'meow!' is not heard at all, dah provoke with wetfood and treat, he still jump and chase after me as usual, tp the meowing je different.

about him being quiet, mmg I noticed because usually he would meow at me early morning for food, but hasn't been doing so in the past week. Instead another one (Michiko) has been the meowing for food, so Nana igt, drg dah ganti role la, Michiko dah represent drg untuk meow, buat pe dia meow lg kan.. tp ni bl dgr dia meow bunyi lain, jd risau la pulak...

eh betul k.fareen, risau bkn main... xblh nak kate la bl dah risau.. tp bl later on find out it was nothing, rs geram plk dgn kucing tu and diri sendiri kan... pastu ckp kat sndiri, next time it happens, xmo la risau2 buang duit gi vet, alih2 xde apa2 pun...tp skali some symptoms come up.. dah lupa dah kes dulu, same je risaunya...xpelah, jgn menyesal kemudian sudah (heh! skrg blh ckp cmtula sb tgh risau, huhuhu)

hopefully nothing's wrongla.... and if anyone ada good/bad experience themselves, letme know here la...
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Cat Slave

Fareen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks fareen (errmm.. kak fareen, I think!)
dah nak start nangis dah, sb google tadi, found something on yahoo.. about the possibility of some kind of cancer... which may be logical, in human pun cancer show no symptoms, until at its worst stage... so in cats .

I hope it's like you say la.. an older 'meow'... he does seem to be getting mature... 100 different sound? but this time dia completely change, the sharp 'meow!' is not heard at all, dah provoke with wetfood and treat, he still jump and chase after me as usual, tp the meowing je different.

about him being quiet, mmg I noticed because usually he would meow at me early morning for food, but hasn't been doing so in the past week. Instead another one (Michiko) has been the meowing for food, so Nana igt, drg dah ganti role la, Michiko dah represent drg untuk meow, buat pe dia meow lg kan.. tp ni bl dgr dia meow bunyi lain, jd risau la pulak...

eh betul k.fareen, risau bkn main... xblh nak kate la bl dah risau.. tp bl later on find out it was nothing, rs geram plk dgn kucing tu and diri sendiri kan... pastu ckp kat sndiri, next time it happens, xmo la risau2 buang duit gi vet, alih2 xde apa2 pun...tp skali some symptoms come up.. dah lupa dah kes dulu, same je risaunya...xpelah, jgn menyesal kemudian sudah (heh! skrg blh ckp cmtula sb tgh risau, huhuhu)

hopefully nothing's wrongla.... and if anyone ada good/bad experience themselves, letme know here la...
Samalah sini, bila tak makan I dah risau. Bila wet food dia habis, sanggup i buat baru. Padahal kat rumah tak masak pun. Bila pergi vet, muka tension je. Tapi bila dah balik baru lah senyum cos vet ckp tak de apa2. Tu yang my hubby said, they're like kids, sometimes they dun feel like eating. Sometimes they're bored, so they're quiet bla bla bla...

Tulah, hopefully he's okay. And like we suspect that maybe he's just growing up :) Cos medical advise ni i tak pandai. Yang terrer tu Furkids..

You just observe dia closely ye...

Proud mummy of Sophie / Dexter / Yuki / Heidi / Optimus

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareen View Post
Samalah sini, bila tak makan I dah risau. Bila wet food dia habis, sanggup i buat baru. Padahal kat rumah tak masak pun. Bila pergi vet, muka tension je. Tapi bila dah balik baru lah senyum cos vet ckp tak de apa2. Tu yang my hubby said, they're like kids, sometimes they dun feel like eating. Sometimes they're bored, so they're quiet bla bla bla...

Tulah, hopefully he's okay. And like we suspect that maybe he's just growing up :) Cos medical advise ni i tak pandai. Yang terrer tu Furkids..

You just observe dia closely ye...
aduih.... tu la pasal.. FK sll ada online daytime.. kene tgu klu2 ada reply lg esok...

skrg ni dah betambah risau plk.. td dok penyek2 dia, sll dia bunyi sb marah.. ni, dia bunyi gak.. tp tu lah, meow dragging tu.. meeeeoooorrrwww (instead of growling marah)... yang make me more worried is... volume dia mcm kecik la pulak.... aiyyo...
Old 12-12-2009, 05:37 AM
PetFinder Guru

Suhaimy is on a distinguished road

Hi Nana. I don't know how to help. I think vet is the answer. Before that, maybe you can wait to the response from others. They might can help. Maybe pagi2 nanti tunggu anybody/somebody reply your thread ke? In case keadaan kucing still sama sampai tgh hari & you have no idea why?, mungkin bawa je la ke vet. Oh! baca thread2 yg lepas pasal vet mana ok, vet mana tak. Nanti hantar vet yg tak reti buat kerja, tak pasal2 pulak 2, 3 kali kerja nak ke vet lain. Good luck to you & Bulan
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
PetFinder Buddy

syunichi is on a distinguished road

Yup, usually low tone meowing selalunya la indicating cat in distress or in pain. I think you ever heard a sick cat meowing. I believe you know that cat is best at hiding their sickness, whatever happens, they'll show you when only you realized it is too late.

I suffered some lost this month for mange and fever. Today diaorg seronok je main, manja manja, ulik ulik muka. Esok, terbaring, tercungap cungap. This is very hard for me, and I believed that I have no more tears to cry for if I lost a cat. So, I pray for the best for you and your cat.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhaimy View Post
Hi Nana. I don't know how to help. I think vet is the answer. Before that, maybe you can wait to the response from others. They might can help. Maybe pagi2 nanti tunggu anybody/somebody reply your thread ke? In case keadaan kucing still sama sampai tgh hari & you have no idea why?, mungkin bawa je la ke vet. Oh! baca thread2 yg lepas pasal vet mana ok, vet mana tak. Nanti hantar vet yg tak reti buat kerja, tak pasal2 pulak 2, 3 kali kerja nak ke vet lain. Good luck to you & Bulan

thanks Suhaimy. Haih. the past 2days, I pegi catshow. on saturday tnya vet yg buat vetting in, katenya xpenah dengar pun things like this. aiyyo. then tadi (sunday) bwk Bulan and ask ms vetting in, vet today pun ckp mcm nothing to worry about, plus dia tgk Bulan, lepas je masuk show tu, sekurang2nya I think bukan demam la or anything that obvious. sb vetting in pun bukannya thorough check up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by syunichi View Post
Yup, usually low tone meowing selalunya la indicating cat in distress or in pain. I think you ever heard a sick cat meowing. I believe you know that cat is best at hiding their sickness, whatever happens, they'll show you when only you realized it is too late.

I suffered some lost this month for mange and fever. Today diaorg seronok je main, manja manja, ulik ulik muka. Esok, terbaring, tercungap cungap. This is very hard for me, and I believed that I have no more tears to cry for if I lost a cat. So, I pray for the best for you and your cat.
oh syunichi, as much as I hate it, I'd have to thank you for getting me on my panic mode... I've been so ever trying to make the best of this, but you kinda remind me not to assume for the better. I'm so sory to hear your lost, I can only imagine how it must've hurt. I shall work on getting an early escape from work so that he can be off to the vet as soon as possible.

We'll be visiting the vet, meanwhile further replies would definitely be appreciated, so that I get some ideas of what to look out for.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 PM
PetFinder Buddy

No problem. I'm still at the brink of success to break off the chain for the virus to spread to others. Darn virus spread, I've done drastic things like having them to undergo IV treatment but in the end, it will just prolong their period before facing their end. :(

Best things, build them for the worst, in other meaning to feed them vitamins, antibiotics, relieve them from stress to make them strong physically and mentally. Only this can help them help their immune system to be strong to ruled out the sickness in them. That is what I believed.

I hope for the best for your cats ya. Oh ya, my friend had same issue like yours and when I asked him about it, he said it was his cat was having a tooth ache. It was ok after they went to take care of it. Might not be too serious matter right, but we can never be too sure
Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syunichi View Post
No problem. I'm still at the brink of success to break off the chain for the virus to spread to others. Darn virus spread, I've done drastic things like having them to undergo IV treatment but in the end, it will just prolong their period before facing their end. :(

Best things, build them for the worst, in other meaning to feed them vitamins, antibiotics, relieve them from stress to make them strong physically and mentally. Only this can help them help their immune system to be strong to ruled out the sickness in them. That is what I believed.

I hope for the best for your cats ya. Oh ya, my friend had same issue like yours and when I asked him about it, he said it was his cat was having a tooth ache. It was ok after they went to take care of it. Might not be too serious matter right, but we can never be too sure
Oh no. it must be difficult. But I wonder where the source of the virus comes from? (have you started a thread on this matter? so I'll get a peek there). Errm.. in terms of vitamins... I have had them on suplements on and off, as I searched more I got more confused. Some say, if they're on premium food ordy, then there isn't a need for supplements as they may get overdose. But some goes for supplements, and thinks that overdosage is not an issue because any excess would be biologically eliminated anyway. Have you any views on this?

Owh, we went to the vet. and so far found nothing. I saw pieces of solid plastic around their room which I believe came from a ball that they had biten apart into pieces... So I was worried if he had swallowed on that, or any sort of blockage. But vet's checking found nothing, and saw no inflammation. He appeared all ok, so the vet thinks, it was probably some inflammation which was getting better, as I reported that the volume of his sound was getting better. But the change in meow remains the same. I'm relieved in a way, but still reserve some worries, just in case. So he shall be monitored closely.... And according to the vet, the change in meow may be behavioral/psychological, due to stress, attention seeking, or presence of some new 'meows' in his surrounding (which I hope is the case, since I have four kittens who have started getting demanding with loud meows to come out of their room!)
Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh no. it must be difficult. But I wonder where the source of the virus comes from? (have you started a thread on this matter? so I'll get a peek there). Errm.. in terms of vitamins... I have had them on suplements on and off, as I searched more I got more confused. Some say, if they're on premium food ordy, then there isn't a need for supplements as they may get overdose. But some goes for supplements, and thinks that overdosage is not an issue because any excess would be biologically eliminated anyway. Have you any views on this?
Oh yea? And how do they back up this line of logic to you? What do you think? What organs are involved in the "elimination"? Will they get overtaxed if overloaded especially for long periods of time? Have you heard about liver or kidney damage and failure? What about fat-soluble nutrients overdose? Aren't these held on in the fat tissue of the body instead of being eliminated? Did you read about the plant-derivative of vitamin A and why overdose is so dangerous? Nana, always understand the why, not just know the what so that you can analyse whether things are logical or not, kay? Tenggelam kucing nanti ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
PetFinder Buddy

I believed that Furkids do have a point. Overdosage does happen,not counting alergy reactions.
HTML Code:
http://www.petplace.com/cats/overdose-and-toxicity-in-cats/page1.aspx
There is why there is dosage prescriptions given. :) Anyway, it does sound logic what good never kills, but we may get clumsy upon things but again we're humans but it will never be the reason to repeat the same mistake.

I'm sorry but no I do not have any posts here for the cat sickness. I was from another forum when I posted regarding FIP and FP that happened to my cats, and for this 2 years, this is my 3rd wave and it always occur during end of the year.

Glad to hear Bulan is doing well. I think if he's recovering as said by the vet, it might take time for him to recover. Just give him the usual TLC and he'll get better really soon. Go Nana Go !
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
PetFinder Guru

Oh yes.. I hope Bulan's gonna be all fine, then I can stop worrying so much..

Alamak, in short, does that mean, no need for suplements if they're already on premium food? That's the problem la, say a cat of this size is suppose to take in this much amount of kibbles, but with multiple cats, I can't be sure of how much each of them had taken... errm..ermm..ermm.. and also with vitamins in powder form that you spread on their food, definitely, I can't tell who took from which plate...and with those paste form vitamins definitely I can't be exact on how much to give 'em....

Ya, I've come across some discussions on these viruses, but really haven't read into them so much. Have you identified the source?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 PM
PetFinder Buddy

:) Well, supplements usually comes in tablet or pallete form. Usually kita kasi time kucing xnak makan, time kita takut nanti dia kurang tenaga and so on. Plus, I did heard from my vet, a little as few mg of the content is enough to sustain the requirement of nutriens for the body. The ones you've mentioned as powder and who took and so on, that is why you can only do it once in a day to be on the safe side.

Oh source of the virus, my vet said airborne. Because my cat does not mingle much with other stray cats. But it is quite uncertain for me. So far so good, but for a few who have started to be picky at food, I need to play with their game for a while. And I'm still on a trial to see whether the supplement method I'm doing for the sick one works, for it has been 2 days and she is somewhat at a weak state but still not critical. For most, 2 days would be the max and end is for certain. So now, what I do understand, if one already catches the virus, get the others ready to be monitored + extra wet food+antibiotic+vitamins to build their immune system to repel any sickness during this time of the year.

Wish Bulan is doing well today :)