Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee
Default .:: How to give medications to a cat ::.

This is a good place to start learning about how to give medications to a cat:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cat_meds.asp ~ Dr.Nat
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: .:: How to give medications to a cat ::.

Hi babyzee

good, i see you have posted Dr Nat's recommendation. I thought i've seen your name somewhere before - it's at vet.com.my :-)
Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

oh

a useful tip, for those whose cat is jittery about taking medication (dry piling) method and may struggle ,

you can use a towel to wrap the cat so that its feet and are immobilised to prevent it from hurting itself as well as you.

better to sit the cat down on its haunches or make it lie down in a crouch position. i find that these two are the best in controlling or reducing opportunity for cats to struggle.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
Hi babyzee

good, i see you have posted Dr Nat's recommendation. I thought i've seen your name somewhere before - it's at vet.com.my :-)
yup, i'm a vet.com.my member too...
i also know you from there too..
well sharing is caring, some more we need to fill up this forum with useful tips cause it's still kinda new...
Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

eh kiter pon ahli vet.com.my.. dah lama x masuk.. ehehe....
Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

very helpful thanks!!
i'm TERRIBLE at giving meds to my pets... whether pill or liquid form or a skin cream or whatever.. they know that something is coming.. even if i pretend not to look at them... try to be innocent and hide the meds in my pocket.. THEY JUST KNOW THAT I WANT TO DO SOMETHING!!! HOW DO THEY KNOW??
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
very helpful thanks!!
i'm TERRIBLE at giving meds to my pets... whether pill or liquid form or a skin cream or whatever.. they know that something is coming.. even if i pretend not to look at them... try to be innocent and hide the meds in my pocket.. THEY JUST KNOW THAT I WANT TO DO SOMETHING!!! HOW DO THEY KNOW??
Simple: They can sense and pick up your emotions and their animal brains (which is different from the human brain in the frontal lobe area) make connections between events which happen sequentially (read up the book entitled "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin, the gifted animal scientist).

First and foremost, make sure you yourself are very calm without any anxiety or fear in you (psyche yourself if required, take slow breaths in and out, focus on loving the cat. Only then do you reach out and approach your cat calmly and confidently. Pat and stroke it, talking to it gently and soothingly. Do it for a while. Then pill the cat calmly. It is very helpful to get a pet piller with a soft rubber tip (many are hard and can injure the cat). Heshmel Clinic in Sunway Damansara used to sell it for about RM12.

After successfully pilling the cat and quickly stroking the throat to stimulate swallowing, give it some mashed watery steamed chicken breast meat immediately to give it a positive experience as well as push the tablet down the throat should it still be lodged there. The chicken treat will cancel any negative emotions with the pilling experience on the part of the cat and help it to relax in future and even look forward to pilling.

But do not give the chicken treat before the pilling as it will make it all excited and frantic (you know la, feeding frenzy).
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Simple: They can sense and pick up your emotions and their animal brains (which is different from the human brain in the frontal lobe area) make connections between events which happen sequentially (read up the book entitled "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin, the gifted animal scientist).

First and foremost, make sure you yourself are very calm without any anxiety or fear in you (psyche yourself if required, take slow breaths in and out, focus on loving the cat. Only then do you reach out and approach your cat calmly and confidently. Pat and stroke it, talking to it gently and soothingly. Do it for a while. Then pill the cat calmly. It is very helpful to get a pet piller with a soft rubber tip (many are hard and can injure the cat). Heshmel Clinic in Sunway Damansara used to sell it for about RM12.

After successfully pilling the cat and quickly stroking the throat to stimulate swallowing, give it some mashed watery steamed chicken breast meat immediately to give it a positive experience as well as push the tablet down the throat should it still be lodged there. The chicken treat will cancel any negative emotions with the pilling experience on the part of the cat and help it to relax in future and even look forward to pilling.

But do not give the chicken treat before the pilling as it will make it all excited and frantic (you know la, feeding frenzy).
ok!! i will try my best to be more zen... umm how do i steam chicken? i don't know how to steam things... can't i just give them a stinky wet food treat?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

hi lynie

any wet canned food is a treat especially if you always feed them dry kibbles.

what furkids say is correct. by now, i learned how to be calm and "detached" about i worry about not getting it right and be late for work. the days, i managed to get my emotions and feelings under control, i can feed nicky his medications under 5 minutes, if not let's say half an hour, with him foaming at the mouth and his poor "moustache" all crooked

i have the pet piller at home but for a cat that's prone to struggle and do whatever it takes to wriggle out of eating the medicine - you have to do it quick and right the first time. i've seen my vet do it - it's like the strike of lightning- so quick, i had to taped it with my handphone and replay it to see what happened. :-)

anyway, some cats are calm and obedient, some are not (like my nicky) so it depends.