Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Animal Lover

lisachs is on a distinguished road
Default Cat spaying - pros & cons

Hie there, I need to know the pros and cons of spaying my cat. FYI, i have a female cat aged 11 months ++ (tis 31/5/2010 will be exactly a year old). Now she's having UTI problem as a result of her not drinking enough water.
On top of that, now she's on heat as well
Anyway, I'm still giving her medications for her UTI problem and now I'm not sure on how to handle her "on heat" problem. Any suggestions, my friends..
Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Spay your cat.Problem solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisachs View Post
Hie there, I need to know the pros and cons of spaying my cat. FYI, i have a female cat aged 11 months ++ (tis 31/5/2010 will be exactly a year old). Now she's having UTI problem as a result of her not drinking enough water.
On top of that, now she's on heat as well
Anyway, I'm still giving her medications for her UTI problem and now I'm not sure on how to handle her "on heat" problem. Any suggestions, my friends..
Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Animal Lover

Default Re: Cat spaying - pros & cons

Hie June, thanks for the suggestion but when do I need to sent her for spaying? I think now its not the right time cos she's having this UTI problem. Anyway, do you happen to know any vets who is charging reasonable fees for spaying, somewhere near Ampang/Cheras area? Thanks again
Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Animal Lover

Is she being treated for UTI right now?? If yes, u might have to wait for a while until she recover.

Private vet normally charge between RM180-RM250 for female (KL area vet).But if you want cheaper rate, you can go to Klinik Kembiri in Jln Air Panas,Setapak. RM70 for female and RM50 for male. They even open on Saturday and Sunday. You may call MR Krishan at 012-2581041. Pls make sure you call 04 or 03 days in advance to secure place. Sometimes they are fullybooked because of its cheaper rate.

Quote:
Hie June, thanks for the suggestion but when do I need to sent her for spaying? I think now its not the right time cos she's having this UTI problem. Anyway, do you happen to know any vets who is charging reasonable fees for spaying, somewhere near Ampang/Cheras area? Thanks again
Old 05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Animal Lover

CanuckinKL2 is on a distinguished road

Way more pros than cons with spaying.

1. No more heat cycles with yowling and male cats lurking about.
2. Decreased wondering or roaming of female. Less likely to get lost.
3. Decrease chances of mammary cancer
4. Decrease chances of tumours in ovaries and uterus.
5. Decrease infections of uterine.
6. No need to rehome unwanted kittens.
7. Cat is more calm and cuddelly.
8. Prevents pet overpopulation
9. Relatively safe procedure.

Klinik kembiri is cheap.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Animal Lover

Hie June, you are an angel . Thank you so much for the info. By the way, my Allie is still on medication until next week. I took her to see Dr. Lum at ARA Ampang clinic and in fact this is the 2nd dose as the 1st dose didn't work that well on her.
Anyway, I will definitely call Mr. Krishan to fix an appointment once my Allie recovers from the UTI problem. Its just that is really hurts me to see her suffer so much at such a young age
Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Animal Lover

Hie CanuckinKL2, thanks for sharing this. Anyway, where is this Klinik Kembiri? Is it the same as the one mentioned by June?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Animal Lover

Yes, he and me were talking abt the same Klinik Kembiri At Jalan Air Panas, Setapak. U follow Jln Pahang until you see Tawakal Hospital on the left.go straight until you pass Court Mammoth on the left,then before the police station you will see a traffic light. turn right. go straight. along the way you will pass Sekolah Agama and housing area. when you reach T Junction,turn left. straight again until you see Bomba station on the right. along the way you will pass market and padang. when you see the Bomba station,turn left then you will see Klinik Kembiri which is under DBKL. so don't be confuse if you see DBKL signboard.

Driving to the Klinik Kembiri on Saturday and Sunday morning is such a breeze.no traffic at all.heheheh!!

Quote:
Hie CanuckinKL2, thanks for sharing this. Anyway, where is this Klinik Kembiri? Is it the same as the one mentioned by June?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Animal Lover

Okay2, thanks so much for the help, June Allie says "thank q" too
Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM
PetFinder Buddy

nadyazgal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Yes, he and me were talking abt the same Klinik Kembiri At Jalan Air Panas, Setapak. U follow Jln Pahang until you see Tawakal Hospital on the left.go straight until you pass Court Mammoth on the left,then before the police station you will see a traffic light. turn right. go straight. along the way you will pass Sekolah Agama and housing area. when you reach T Junction,turn left. straight again until you see Bomba station on the right. along the way you will pass market and padang. when you see the Bomba station,turn left then you will see Klinik Kembiri which is under DBKL. so don't be confuse if you see DBKL signboard.

Driving to the Klinik Kembiri on Saturday and Sunday morning is such a breeze.no traffic at all.heheheh!!
hi june..

if i send my cat to spay in klinik kembiri, does she need to stay overnight there or i can take her home immediately?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Animal Lover

Hie June, I forgot to ask you about Allie's on heat problem. Since she's on heat now and I don't want her to mate, do you have any solution on how minimise or stop the "on heat" thing? I'm really not good in this as my two older cats were already spayed when I adopted them. I can see this "on heat" problem has affecting Allie so much so that she's not eating and sleeping well. Please, I really need help here, thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Animal Lover

No problem Lisa.Muah!!muah!! to your Allie too

Additional info,Klinik Kembiri is only for neutering our pets but they don't provide boarding after neuter.We have to bring our pets back. Don't forget to fast your cats a nite before you intend to send for neutering. No food no water by 8pm a nite before.

Quote:
Okay2, thanks so much for the help, June Allie says "thank q" too
Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Animal Lover

From my pass experience with Putih,she normally on heat within 07-10 days. after that she will calm down a bit before start again.

I know there's a type of pill (similar to human pil perancang) for cats. But I don't know where we can get this pill. I have spoken to Dr Jonathan from ARA Ampang before. I think they do sell this pill. Can't remember clearly coz this was like 02 yrs ago. So for temporary solution, may you can give Allie the pill.

Quote:
Hie June, I forgot to ask you about Allie's on heat problem. Since she's on heat now and I don't want her to mate, do you have any solution on how minimise or stop the "on heat" thing? I'm really not good in this as my two older cats were already spayed when I adopted them. I can see this "on heat" problem has affecting Allie so much so that she's not eating and sleeping well. Please, I really need help here, thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Animal Lover

Hie June, I checked online awhile ago and it mentioned that we can give our cats some hormone injection to eliminate the "on heat" problem. Do you think its safe? For short term solution?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Lisachs -- my cat went into heat shortly after I adopted her, and it was a nightmare. I was sure her howls would bring all the neighbours and the Polis running to my door. I asked my vet when I could bring her over to be spayed, and she told me that I must wait out that first week of the heat cycle, then bring her straight away. The vet knew that I wasn't sleeping and the cat was making an uproar, but she offered no information about hormone pills or shots. That makes me doubt it would work when the cat has already begun the heat cycle. But ask your vet -- maybe he'll have a different answer.

Is your cat drinking plenty of water now? I remember you had posted a question earlier that she didn't like to drink, and I assume that's why she's having the UTI now. I hope she recovers quickly from the UTI for her sake, and that she gets through the heat and spayed for your sake! :-)

Quote:
Hie June, I checked online awhile ago and it mentioned that we can give our cats some hormone injection to eliminate the "on heat" problem. Do you think its safe? For short term solution?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Animal Lover

Hie Maneki Neko, yup, its Allie who is the culprit, hehe not drinking enough water, thus having UTI now. Anyway, I've brought her to see Dr. Lum at ARA Ampang and doc has since given her medication for 2 weeks. By the way, I did put a couple of bowls of water around the house and luckily for Allie and me, Allie has decided to drink from the bowl located outside my bedroom!!
As this is the 1st time I'm seeing a cat on heat, it really terrifies me, more so when Allie is yelling her heart out, agitated, restless etc...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Animal Lover

Lisa,honestly I have no idea if the hormone injection will works on heat female cat. I know this injection is good to make your cat's fur more fluffy and shiny because a friend has tried before.

I vouch for the pill rather than the injection if you ask me.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Animal Lover

June, I'll take your advice and will ask doc about the pill and injection. Its just that this is the 1st time and I really hate to see Allie suffer so much. She's so young and has to go through all this...sigh
Old 05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
... ... ...

naddy is on a distinguished road

Injection can be done even during on heat. RM15 per shot at gov clinic. It can last at least 6 month. All my kucing kg at hometown got this shot since spayed is too expensive in my hometown.

Pill is a little bit tricky. the pill that i used, rm5 for 2 tablet. U have to give ur cat in pre heat meaning b4 she start the opera and one more when she really on heat. the pill only effect for 1-2 weeks. My cat have used this tablet but is hard since u have to give it to them constantly.

so i prefer a shot for short term choices.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Animal Lover

so u have to give twice per year for the shot, I supposed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
Injection can be done even during on heat. RM15 per shot at gov clinic. It can last at least 6 month. All my kucing kg at hometown got this shot since spayed is too expensive in my hometown.

Pill is a little bit tricky. the pill that i used, rm5 for 2 tablet. U have to give ur cat in pre heat meaning b4 she start the opera and one more when she really on heat. the pill only effect for 1-2 weeks. My cat have used this tablet but is hard since u have to give it to them constantly.

so i prefer a shot for short term choices.