Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Latest News & Happenings > Events

Events Latest happenings and events pertaining to pets and animal welfare

Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

Simon is on a distinguished road
Default Run for a casue, animal welfare - KL Marthon

Dear All,

Would any one be keen to run for a cause in this years Standard Charter KL Marathon taking place this June 27th, they still have places http://www.kl-marathon.com/

I will be running for a cause, running for charity, raising money for the SPCA, perhaps you would also like to run for the SPCA, or another animal welfare charity of your choice? This event should also be a good way to promote animal welfare to the some 20,000 people who congregate on Medaka Square for the morning's event!

Anyway, if you're interest why not take a look at their website, they have a range of categories to suit all, from a 5km family to a staggering 42.1km (phew, I just get tired from looking at those number of kilometres )

Family, fun, walking, trotting, running, or a mixture of all, it should be a fun morning! And all in a good cause!

Post up here if you're interested, taking part, or if you're just singing up, perhaps we could have the first ever Pet Finder's charity run'a'thon team!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:20 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Run for a casue, animal welfare - KL Marthon

Simon,
Glad to hear that.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Hi Simon, this sounds interesting..

How does the run for a cause work, as in, are you able to specify which charity the funds go to, and the organizers would donate it on behalf of you to them? How do we help these charities get more exposure during the marathon?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Andy,

I think my wording of “run for a cause” might be confusing since the standard chartered marathon is using the same term for its charity promotion campaign (they preselect the charities, not sure if you have a say where the money goes) I emailed the marathon team to ask them if I could run for the SPCA through their “run for a cause”, but they said no as the SPCA is not a charity they are supporting this year (perhaps next year?) So I decided to make my own arrangements and contacted the SPCA directly expressing my intention to raise money on their behalf. How this works in practice, I don’t know, in the UK this involves finding a scrap of A4 paper, and just approaching people for their money! But things seem to be more formal, or official, here in Malaysia, so I guess I will receive some official sponsorship forms and an official letter from the SPCA at some point, then I can go find sponsors.

These events can be really good for getting charity exposure, especially if there are media people around. Apart from the before event fund raising, on the day there are two main ways of getting exposure, the first, try and get a stall at the event. With the KL marathon all the stalls are located on Merdaka Square. The other way to get exposure, the runners dress up like mobile billboards this can work well if there are a group of participants supporting the same charity and cause. Making like a billboard can mean anything from wearing a hat and t-shirt displaying the charity logos, to a more adventurous fancy dress style, see picture below (this might draw media attention, but probably not recommended for the KL heat) Also supporters, again in hats / T-shirts, maybe handing out leaflets (I guess that would need the organisers approval?)

I am not sure how effective these methods of exposure work on the day, but I guess you get the idea!

It would be great if we could get a handful of pet finders to participate, raise money, help create awareness and promote these charities too!

http://www.wellingtonspca.org.nz/new...ssed-as-a-dog/

Last edited by Simon; 05-03-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the detailed explanations.. seems like you've got some good plans worked out eh! I originally intended to participate in the run too (although I wasn't aware of the charty aspects) but unfortunately it fell right on the Pet World Malaysia event from June 25 - 27 where PetFinder.my would be participating at Mid Valley.

All the best in your charity run and please keep us updated on how things go.. maybe you can invite other PetFinder.my members to join in the fun as well?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Animal Lover

RealityDreamer is on a distinguished road

Hi Simon,

I'm actually not sure if I will be running...I might not be in the country then. If I am, I will probably run ( jog the first half...and finish by walking..! hah)

Please post up more details once it's been confirmed?

If it's no-go, I've still got a couple of SPCA t-shirts :D
Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi RD,

That sounds great, hope to get the sponsorship forms soon. Although I guess one individual might raise a modest amount, it really starts to add up when more participants join in T-Shirts would be great! I wonder if SPCA have a spare 3XL's

Cheers!

PS Think my effort will go something like "run -> trot -> walk -> stagger -> limp -> mad dash over last 100 metres to the finish trying to look as if I had run all the way!"
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi All,

Here's an article on the Monash website calling for support and sponsorship for my charity run I've had a couple of responses already

http://tinyurl.com/32wsmgt

If you would like to help me raise awareness and sponsorship money, please pass on the link to anyone who you think might be able to sponsor, they can email me directly using my email address in the article.

I had the idea of seeking corporate sponsorship, with each corporate sponsor securing a "patch" on my SPCA running vest, this is still an idea, and I guess SPCA will need to okay such sponsors, and there is not much time left to organise it, but if any one has any ideas or contacts of corporate sponsors who I could approach and who might be sympathetic, do let me know, and I will approach them

If any one has any other sponsorship ideas, do let me know too!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

wel done Simon,
Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

Kyzoor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
wel done Simon,
Good day to Mr Simon....,

Anyway i'm glad to hear that u do a really great job, too bad i cant join for the run coz im not in a good health to get tired too much for the rest of my life........wish u for the luck n what i can help is, just to advertise ur web at my website n hope that some of the members from my other web will support for this event.........

Kyzoor
Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Melmel, thanks!

Hi Kyzoor,

Many thanks for your support, and increasing awareness by linking from your website!

Cheers,

Simon.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Animal Lover

RozAry is on a distinguished road

Greetings, Mr.Simon..

About this charity run..

Are we allowed to bring our pet along? To join in the run?

If we're allowed, I would def join this.. =]

---------------------------------------------

Scratch that.. Not allowed.. hehe..
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

That would be I can just picture Stripey in a headband, running vest and two pairs of running shoes, with a stop watch in his mouth ready to zoom, zoom, zoom! (trailing me behind him )

Those bringing their cat along to run with will have the most fun and longest of runs, but I reckon those coming along to run with their pet tortoises will have the most relaxed time of it!