Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
PetFinder Buddy

azris is on a distinguished road
Default Pet lovers protest cats on the menu in China

Found this on the internet:

GUANGZHOU, China – While animal lovers in Beijing protested the killing of cats for food on Thursday, a butcher in Guangdong province — where felines are the main ingredient in a famous soup — just shrugged her shoulders and wielded her cleaver. "Cats have a strong flavor. Dogs taste much better, but if you really want cat meat, I can have it delivered by tomorrow," said the butcher, who gave only her surname, Huang.

It was just this attitude that outraged about 40 cat lovers who unfurled banners in a tearful protest outside the Guangdong government office in Beijing. Many were retirees who care for stray felines they said were being rounded up by dealers.

"We must make them correct this uncivilized behavior," said Wang Hongyao, who represented the group in submitting a letter urging the provincial government to crack down on traders and restaurants, although they were breaking no laws.

The protest was the latest clash between age-old traditions and the new sensibilities made possible by China's growing affluence. Pet ownership was once rare because the Communist Party condemned it as bourgeois and most people simply couldn't afford a cat or dog.

The protesters' indignation was whipped up by recent reports in Chinese newspapers about the cat meat industry. On Monday, the Southern Metropolis Daily — a Guangdong paper famous for its exposes and aggressive reporting — ran a story that said about 1,000 cats were transported by train to Guangdong each day.

The animals came from Nanjing, a major trading hub for cats, the newspaper said. They were brought to market by dealers on motorcycles, crammed into wooden crates and sent to Guangdong on trains. A photo showed a cat with green eyes peering from a crowded crate.

Some people in Nanjing spend their days "fishing for cats," often stealing pets, the report said.

One cat owner in Guanghzou said people are afraid to let their pets leave the house for fear they will get nabbed.

"It's never been this bad. Who knows, it might be because of the bad economy. I've heard that there are cat-nabbing syndicates from Hunan that are rounding up cats," said the man, who would only give his surname, Lai, because he feared the cat business might be run by gangsters.

Animal protection groups have occasionally ambushed truck convoys loaded with bamboo cages filled with cats bound for Guangdong. In one recent case, hundreds of cats escaped after their cages were opened, though hundreds more remained penned in the vehicle.

Lai Xiaoyu, who was involved in the attempted "rescue," said authorities couldn't stop the cat shipment because the traders said the animals were to be raised as pets.

"The police did what they could, but there's little they can do to stop or punish those traders from shipping live animals," Lai said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, issued a statement Thursday decrying the cruel treatment.

"China has no animal protection laws, and throughout the country scores of cats and dogs are bred or rounded up, crammed onto trucks and driven for days under hellish conditions to animal markets, where they are beaten to death, strangled or boiled alive," said a spokesman for the group, Michael V. McGraw.

Guangdong is home to the Cantonese people, famous for being the most adventurous eaters in China. There's a popular saying: "The Cantonese will eat anything that flies, except airplanes, and anything with legs, except a chair."

Zhu Huilian, a nutrition and food safety professor at Sun Yat-Sen University in Guangdong's capital, Guangzhou, said people usually eat cat in restaurants, not at home.

"There's a famous soup called 'Dragon, Tiger and Phoenix,'" Zhu said. "It involves cooking snake, cat and chicken together. In winter more people eat cats as they believe it's extra nutritious."

The wide-ranging Cantonese culinary tastes are on display daily in Guangzhou, also known as Canton, in the Qing Ping Market. Shopkeepers sit behind cages full of writhing snakes, tubs with turtles and plastic basins with mounds of scorpions crawling over each other.

That's where the butcher, Huang, sells her meat, sliced on a blood-soaked cutting board in a stall filled with cages of chickens and rabbits.

Hanging on a hook from its head — with its snout cut cleanly off — was a skinned dog with a long curly tail, paws with small clumps of fur still on them and black claws. The dog's jaw bone was displayed in a metal tray beneath the carcass.

"The cat meat we sell comes from legitimate sources," said Huang, who gave only her surname because her boss doesn't allow her to speak to reporters. "It's from cat farms. The animals are raised the same way cows are."

She said cat meat sold for about $1.32 a pound, while dog meat was cheaper, at about 95 cents a pound. Chicken was the best buy at 62 cents a pound, while lamb sold for about $1.32.

Huang said customers had to order cat meat a day in advance because it doesn't sell as well as dog.

"Cat tastes a bit like lamb. I don't like it much," she said. "Young cats are tender, but the meat on the older ones is really tough. Usually old people like eating it."

What say you?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet lovers protest cats on the menu in China

Horrible. Really horrible.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

I just read about this in the morning too... and have seen for myself the gross sight of canine bodies that were hung like chickens along hawker stalls and restaurants in ShenZhen.

I absolutely despise the ill-treating of any type of animal, be it those rared for food or for pets. But I believe that the "grossness" factor stems from our culture and exposure to particular animals, as one man's pet could well be another's dinner.

If we were to grow up with chickens as our dearest pets, cows, goats, or even tortoises and fishes, we might also feel disgusted if we ate them as food, as long as we are emotionally attached to them and identify with their behaviour. Animals that we commonly eat as food could very well have been subjected to similar inhumane raising and torture before being killed too. Some cultures and religions also treat certain animals as sacred, and they would equally feel disgusted to see such animals being tortured and eaten at other countries.

In fact, there has been significant research indicating that birds (in particular, chicken) have cognitive capacities equivalent to those of mammals, even primates. They exist in stable social groups, can recognize each other by their facial features, and have 24 distinct cries that communicate a wealth of information to one other, including separate alarm calls depending on whether a predator is traveling by land or sea. They are good at solving problems. Should we still eat the chickens, knowing that they have such cognitive capacities?

In short, I don't know if we can rightfully criticize any party for eating any animal, so long as we ourselves are contributing towards that statistics. What we could fight for is in giving animals as humane as possible a living condition, and as quick and painless a death should we decide to eat them.

Until and unless there is a day we can all shift to vegetarian diet or just consume synthetic meat.

Last edited by AndyKoh; 12-19-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

GIler @#!% punyer orang la....

how could they eat cats and dogs... so terrible!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

I WILL BE FURIOUS!!! ENRAGED!! BRING FRIKKIN HELL TO THE PLACE!! what goes around come around.. maybe this is what a true vegan feel when they walk thru pasar..
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

ISN'T THERE ENOUGH FOOD ?

I'M SICK TO THE STOMACH!!!
{mredey e}

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

STILL SO GERAM...

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
I just read about this in the morning too... and have seen for myself the gross sight of canine bodies that were hung like chickens along hawker stalls and restaurants in ShenZhen.

I absolutely despise the ill-treating of any type of animal, be it those rared for food or for pets. But I believe that the "grossness" factor stems from our culture and exposure to particular animals, as one man's pet could well be another's dinner.

If we were to grow up with chickens as our dearest pets, cows, goats, or even tortoises and fishes, we might also feel disgusted if we ate them as food, as long as we are emotionally attached to them and identify with their behaviour. Animals that we commonly eat as food could very well have been subjected to similar inhumane raising and torture before being killed too. Some cultures and religions also treat certain animals as sacred, and they would equally feel disgusted to see such animals being tortured and eaten at other countries.

In fact, there has been significant research indicating that birds (in particular, chicken) have cognitive capacities equivalent to those of mammals, even primates. They exist in stable social groups, can recognize each other by their facial features, and have 24 distinct cries that communicate a wealth of information to one other, including separate alarm calls depending on whether a predator is traveling by land or sea. They are good at solving problems. Should we still eat the chickens, knowing that they have such cognitive capacities?

In short, I don't know if we can rightfully criticize any party for eating any animal, so long as we ourselves are contributing towards that statistics. What we could fight for is in giving animals as humane as possible a living condition, and as quick and painless a death should we decide to eat them.

Until and unless there is a day we can all shift to vegetarian diet or just consume synthetic meat.
Agreed.
BUT to steal somebody's pet and sell it as a livestock is very bad.
I who work in a frozen company and sell frozen food agreed to 'quick and painless death'. To those chicken or any other animals that were raised as a livestock and to be slaugther, have to be treated good and eat healthy too when they r still alive. This is the best a livestock company can do for them. BUT sadly in Malaysia there are still who want to earn quick money and dera those poor creature mentally and physically. Pretty ashame to say.
So even i am not a vegetarian, i chooses to buy frozen or even fresh chicken or lamb meat that i think is ok. If i know some company did something not good, i will banned that product from my grocery list and spread the word.

But dog, cats, snakes are totally out of my list.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
PetFinder Buddy

I’m so speechless…. Different regions embrace different cultures and food preferences… as in malaysia… cats and dogs are pampered as beloved pets.. and it’s ok to eat chicken.. cows etc but in some other parts of the world cats and dogs are meant to end up in stalls and restaurants.. so we perceive things differently depending on our surrounding and cultural practice.. I agree with Andy that these animals should experience quick and painless death instead of captivating them in a small cage and torturing them to death by skinning them alive… this is so inhumane…. And I also submit to vivi’s view that stealing somebody's pet and sell it as a livestock is very bad… can u imagine your cats or dogs go missing one day..and by the time u find them… they’ve already been cooked and ready to be served …..I think the major concern here is to treat these animals nicely while they are alive.. feed them well and send them to vet when they are unwell… as they too.. are living creatures … and when decide them for dinner… choose the quick and painless method to end their lives…

My heart goes out to the poor cats….. if only we could have the power and do something to tackle this …
Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
PetFinder Guru

hurmm.. FYI.. this is also happening in shah alam area.. can't remember which section though...

these vietnamese immigrants... they go out and catch cats..dogs and even the lizqrds..to cook and eat up.. thats why there were fewer strays around...

after sometime.. some of the people living there lodged a complaint as more n more pets (dogs and cats ) are gone missing without a trace.....

its so terrible.. its still happening still..., mind you...

pets like persians and long haired cats also all kena wallop..!~
Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

That's y i still say 'It's not safe to let ur pets to roam away outside by themselves.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

yeah,agree with Andy and Azris. however I still can't accept dog and cats as main menu for meals.yikes!!! we know that it has been loooooooooooooong!! time ago cats and dogs are kept as pet not end up in the cooking pot
Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 PM
PetFinder Buddy

su
Quote:
Originally Posted by filinlee View Post
hurmm.. FYI.. this is also happening in shah alam area.. can't remember which section though...

these vietnamese immigrants... they go out and catch cats..dogs and even the lizqrds..to cook and eat up.. thats why there were fewer strays around...

after sometime.. some of the people living there lodged a complaint as more n more pets (dogs and cats ) are gone missing without a trace.....

its so terrible.. its still happening still..., mind you...

pets like persians and long haired cats also all kena wallop..!~
thanx for the info filinlee...hmm scarry..... shah alam is quite near to my place... these barbarians came to our country bring along their sickening dog-cat-lizard eating habits here.... if i ever bumped into them... i shalt smash their heads and punch hard in their stomachs... what happens if they are caught red handed and brought to justice.. do they only need to pay RM200 and walk away just like that? and they will go back to the streets...hunting down our pets and stray animals for dinners... luckily i keep my furbabes indoor and they themselves...love to stay at home... wonder which section does this thing take place... must be the section where there r lotsa factory workers right....

i remember this one story when i was little.. there was this infamous satay seller who sold his delicious satays at a hospital..he claimed that his satays were made of chicken... so one day a postman went to his house to deliver a letter/parcel... and to his surprise...he saw cat corpses scattered around the place... it means that the sickminded guy was actually feeding cat satays to his customers.... i am not so sure what happened to that satay seller but again... that was gross!!!!

Last edited by azris; 12-19-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:17 PM
PetFinder Buddy

agree wif sis june.... will never have cats or dogs in my meals either.... they are too adorable to end up in a cooking pot... and they have been kept as pets for soooo long...by eating them its like your are eating your own 'children'...
Old 12-19-2008, 05:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

e2 la pasal... our furry frens are no longer safe on the streets...

nnt i check kat section braper yer... lupa...

penah my fren nampak depan mata dia.. ada satu lizard cross the road... then suddenly this group of vietnamese /kampuchea fellas berlari sakan kejar lizard tuh... sampai masuk semak la... abis mati kena bantai lizard tuh... pastuh ramai2 ikat kat kayu n angkut balik...

teruk betol....
Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

i ada nampak itu mamat bangla 2 org naik motor bawak anjing atas riba.. 2 ekor... i thought they're going to cook that fella... rupa rupanya 2 org mamat bangla ni adalah security guard yg tgh transfer security dogs from admin office to site... huhuhuhu... abis duit minyak aku 40 km follow motor diorg... cesss~!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
i ada nampak itu mamat bangla 2 org naik motor bawak anjing atas riba.. 2 ekor... i thought they're going to cook that fella... rupa rupanya 2 org mamat bangla ni adalah security guard yg tgh transfer security dogs from admin office to site... huhuhuhu... abis duit minyak aku 40 km follow motor diorg... cesss~!

takper monk.. janji kiter rasa tenang tau kata anjing tuh bukan untuk buat hidangan...
bangla nepal x der makan binatang cam tuh,,,, biasa orang kampuchea /vietnam jer
Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

nak tergelak aku dgn kwn2 aku ni.setau akulah kan,bangla durang tak mkn anjing,kucing atau yg sewaktunya.heheheh!! bukan durang punya culture.yg sebelah2 south east asia mcm vietnamese,thai,cambodia etc tu yg jenis makan anything that can be eaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM
AnImaL lUVer..

mixa is on a distinguished road

eee yyewww..macam dh xde benda len kat dunia ni yg nk dimakan..

cian betul kat org yg xde otak tu..sumer benda nk lantak.. stupid person....
Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Animal Lover

DarkTwilight is on a distinguished road

what kind of ppl would eat cats O.o o.O X.X

so sad not fair....