Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in Dogs(CPR)

As much as we try to protect our pets, accidents do happen. So, it is important to be as prepared as reasonably possible. One way to be prepared is to know how to give cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

CPR is an emergency technique used to help someone whose heart and/or breathing has stopped. Although somewhat modified, the same techniques used for people – rescue breathing and chest compressions – can be used to help treat an animal in distress.

The first lesson to know about CPR is that it doesn't restart a stopped heart. The purpose of CPR, in both humans and animals, is to keep them alive until the heart begins beating on its own or a cardiac defibrillator can be used. In people, about 15 percent of those getting CPR actually survive. In animals, CPR is frequently unsuccessful, even if performed by a trained veterinarian. Even so, attempting CPR will give your pet a fighting chance.

Breathing

If your dog is breathing, allow him to assume the position most comfortable for him. If he isn't breathing, make sure the airway is open, and begin rescue breathing. Again, remember that even an unresponsive dog may bite on instinct.

Make sure the neck is straight without overextending.

For medium to large dogs, you will be performing mouth-to-nose breathing. Close the mouth and lips by placing your hand around the lips and holding the muzzle closed.

Place your mouth over the dog's nose. For dogs under 30 pounds, cover the mouth and lips with your mouth. Your mouth will form a seal.

Exhale forcefully. Give four or five breaths quickly.

Check to see if breathing has resumed normally. If breathing hasn't begun or is shallow, begin rescue breathing again.

For dogs over 30 pounds, give 20 breaths per minute.

For dogs less than 30 pounds, give 20 to 30 breathes per minute

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.