Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Animal Lover

schilazz is on a distinguished road
Angry Kittens are sent back after adoption. To many unacceptable reasons

My neighbour and I have been catching kittens and putting them for adoption. To us, the kittens are cute and fine. We had adopters that adopt these kittens for couple of days and they wanted to send then back.
The reason was either too noisy or they not friendly or dont have time to train them or etc. To these type of adopters: They arent perfect ok. They are animals. you need to care for them. and give your time to them.
if have so many excuses, DON'T have pets!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kittens are sent back after adoption. To many unacceptable reasons

Heaven help them when they have babies and don't care for the noise or the mess... How to return them?

I agree with you totally, Schilazz. I'm fostering a tiny stray kitten at the moment, and he's trying my patience, but he's just a wee baby. I try to imagine him as a gorgeous, elegant adult cat. With love and care, he will be one all too soon.

Keep up your good work, and try not to let the frustrating people discourage you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schilazz View Post
My neighbour and I have been catching kittens and putting them for adoption. To us, the kittens are cute and fine. We had adopters that adopt these kittens for couple of days and they wanted to send then back.
The reason was either too noisy or they not friendly or dont have time to train them or etc. To these type of adopters: They arent perfect ok. They are animals. you need to care for them. and give your time to them.
if have so many excuses, DON'T have pets!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Animal Lover

rihazmuhammad is on a distinguished road

you save animals because you love it. they want to adopt an animals because they think animals can make them happy. next time lets pets adopt it master

btw. you doing great job as foster/ savior. thank you very much
Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Animal Lover

duke.pistolero is on a distinguished road

Let’s be positive ..better they send back to owner rather than throw or leave them somewhere else..
Old 08-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke.pistolero View Post
Let’s be positive ..better they send back to owner rather than throw or leave them somewhere else..
Excellent point!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Animal Lover

rihazmuhammad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
agree
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 AM
Animal Lover

Hi guys,

thanks for the encouragement ... appreciate it alot ... and yeah better they give back then throw them away... just frustrated sometimes... but i will never give up on these animals ...
Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Animal Lover

Thumbs up Re: Kittens are sent back after adoption. To many unacceptable reasons

Seriously adopter trying to defend their actions he he he.... like i said lah ... if got so many excuse, jgn adopt le ... if the age (months) of the kittens pun jadi issue , entah lah ... dah lah kitten tu free ... kalau bayar beribu2 , boleh lah bising if something wrong with it...the kitten that was sent back , got a new home now, new owner said she is so quiet ,lovable and very happy...I guess it s true when they say, pets will choose their owner and not the other way around ...
just to share: We have found homes for so many kittens, but this is the 1st time we encounter adopter yang pelik like this... oh well, there s always 1st for everything

it sok ... we still doing our duty to rescue cats and kittens...we wont let because of one bad encounter, we give up .... NEVER!!!! hehehehhe
hey guys thanks for the encouragement...
Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rihazmuhammad View Post
agree

agreed
Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:

agreed!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Animal Lover

duke.pistolero is on a distinguished road

schilazz.. is this relate with "Irresposibility cat owner!" post?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
schilazz.. is this relate with "Irresposibility cat owner!" post?
read yr inbox.tx
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:

it sok ... we still doing our duty to rescue cats and kittens...we wont let because of one bad encounter, we give up .... NEVER!!!! hehehehhe
hey guys thanks for the encouragement...
Good for you, Schilazz! I'm glad your kitten found a compatible home, and I also hope the adopter who returned her will be able to adopt a different kitten who is a better fit.

I know we humans can get on each other's nerves, but the bottom line is that there are too darned many homeless cats.

Wishing you strength and patience!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Animal Lover

Thumbs up Re: Kittens are sent back after adoption. To many unacceptable reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Good for you, Schilazz! I'm glad your kitten found a compatible home, and I also hope the adopter who returned her will be able to adopt a different kitten who is a better fit.

I know we humans can get on each other's nerves, but the bottom line is that there are too darned many homeless cats.

Wishing you strength and patience!
Thank you so much. God will help us all the way n we will carry on doing this. All these tepi longkang cats n kittens nds us at the moment. We try our best to give the best care as much as we can.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Animal Lover

Vee20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
just to share: We have found homes for so many kittens, but this is the 1st time we encounter adopter yang pelik like this... oh well, there s always 1st for everything
I've had my share, lady asking for a quiet kitten, by far the strangest request I ever received from any adopter. That wasn't really what struck a nerve though, it's just that she wasted too much of my time contemplating, and cancelled last minute. You know how it's like when you're preparing to let go of your rescues? You spend all the precious time you can with them, waiting for that day, but when it arrives, LAST MINUTE, you get turned down?

And on a different note, when I tried to recommend my other 'quiet' cats to suit her interest, she ended up asking me why I was trying to 'desperately get rid of my cats'? And not sticking to the cat she asked for?

Is it not discipline? When adopters communicate with you regarding the kind of personality (and cats) they're looking for, for you to recommend the closest resembling ones from your available rescues? Many of my previous rescued cats/kittens are happy, and the adopters grateful, because they found their perfect match.

It's any-time better than actually lying to 'get rid of our cats', eh?

The lady who returned the kitten to you, I feel, should try shelters instead. There are hundreds of cats/kittens with hundreds of different personalities awaiting their new homes, one of them is bound to be a 'quiet' one and fit the person's interest.

Unless the emphasis is on them being 'free'...then many willing rescuers & fosterers here will have to face more of such nonsense.

Kudos to you by the way for rescuing so many cats and working to get them adopted. Remember to ensure that all kittens are fit and ready physically and mentally before leaving with their new families, so that both adopters and rescuers can share the joy of having given a new lease of life to a once homeless fur-kid good luck to you!

Last edited by Vee20; 08-19-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee20 View Post
she ended up asking me why I was trying to 'desperately get rid of my cats'?

Nitha, I believe this same person left the exact same question for Alicia Ling Horsley on one of her adoptable cats. When I read it, at least I had a good, therapeutic laugh.

Of course, people who have been involved in Petfinder and other animal welfare circles are familiar with the "old hands", including you and Alicia. Newcomers don't yet know you. They don't yet know that you both require as much paperwork and as many probing questions as if they were trying to adopt a baby. Maybe more! And she's most likely not heard the tale of your heroic rescue operation last year, in which you snatched back two cats who were adopted on dishonest terms. I think we should call that Ops Kucing, don't you?

I agree in some ways with your suggestion that people who are looking for certain character traits might do better to spend a day at the shelters, spending time with several cats. In other ways, though, I think dealing with private rescuers like you, Schilazz, Alicia, et al., is better. As you say, you've spent a LOT of time with all your cats; you know them better than the shelter staff can know theirs. Also, if for some reason the adoption doesn't work out, you guys will take the cats back. I know it's frustrating for you, but as others have pointed out, it's better than dumping the cats who-knows-where.

May all of us do our best to keep a sense of humour -- it's such good medicine! :-)
Old 08-20-2011, 02:36 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve

Greetings!

Let me share with you one experience I went through.

Before, I took Ashanta in, I was looking for stray cats and for adoption pets. But since where I lived and have to comply my husband's neat freak & dog personality whilst there a lot of reasons to be compatible with our household even if we are willing to take pets in, I went through a lot just to find that suits the cat and to our home.
Ashanta fits into our household. Ashanta's temperament of dog-like nature made my husband changed his outlook on cats.
Then, I adopted one of the shelters' stray kitten. They weren't ready for home even if they told me but I don't blame them coz after all they have a lot of cats and dogs to take care of. I ending up returning kittens 2x. It is just not working for our household. Please don't get me wrong. Even the shelter homes understood. I just wanted a friend for Ashanta late night play. They always scratched Ashanta with no apparent reason, my husband asked to return it and after the kitten scratched me , I end up with 3 inches wound after I put the bowl in front of the kitten. We ran to the hospital to stitch me and blood check-up for rabies. My husband got frustrated and returned the kitten himself.

I have a neighbor who have a hard time with their pets. For personal reason they have to go back to their home country and the kittens were left behind. I got pitied and asked for those kittens. Kittens were never been strayed and only kept inside. Their temperament is different. It was four of them and I have to look for owners who really have time and love Persian cats. Pure Persians are twice of attention and time than DMH or DLH mix. I went to KL and end up adopting one kitten from a friend and Miwako was on the right time to be adopted. I never sold my friends the Persians even if they were pure since they are not vaccinated yet so no need for extra charges. I went back to Langkawi and after a month or so, I brought back home, Miwako and Nefertiti.

When we moved to a new suite, I was able to do what I like. I started to pick stray cats. Some of them are in terrible condition that we have to quarantined away from indoor kitties. Some of them have special 'cases' that needed more of human interaction. Before I let them go, there are no fees but spending months one on one with cats/kittens , I just know who the right people to adopt them. It was a hard work. Imagine shelter homes who got hundreds of cats.

Therefore, please don't blame or get frustrated with volunteers and shelter homes, keep in mind they have good intentions and even if it is too many to handle at least there are good people who keep the pets at bay ....out of the street and well fed. Don't get high expectations from shelter homes, they simply do it because their love to animals. It is not a cattery or a kennel farm or a pet shops where you have high hopes and expectations.
I suggest not to look at the small mistakes from the adopters as well. There is always the right time and right household. Maybe it is not meant for them. Maybe with better homes. Maybe more experienced pet owners. Maybe more responsible....
I won't mind the queries and fees. It is good to know which homes your pets will go to. It will help more information what kind of lifestyle they have. If it is suitable or not.....screening adopters is reliable.

We have to consider the pets and their future homes, too. Are they alright with their new homes? Is the new home stressful for them? Maybe they can't overcome the issues later on pet owners will throw them eventually when they can't tolerate stress issues from pets. It happened... happens and will happen.

As animal lover, I will accept such consequences 'coz not all people are responsible with their pets . We are not living in perfect world but with patience and tolerance, we can tackle the issue on both animals and human. There is always a rainbow after the rain.

I may not be perfect but I don't lose hope so must everyone. That is just myself - being human.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Eve

P/S: Amanda, I did read about it and I replied to that....I found that a silly joke ....***ROFL ... I tried not to be silly on my replies... well what does a silly question need? A silly answer! hahahaha But I was like....ooops maybe the person is naive not to know that person before a comment... do they research first nowadays or do they understand what they read..*wonder*.... (referring to Alicia's cat inquiry comment)... it is a good laugh indeed!

Last edited by Marcelleve; 08-20-2011 at 03:04 AM.