Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Animal Lover

Kyle is on a distinguished road
Default Tesco 'choice Balance' Cat Food

I have been giving my cats cooked fish, Tesco cat food and clean water everyday for more than a year. Recently I found that some of my cat's poos are pasty like. Sometimes they vomit after having their meals. Generally speaking, they are all very healthy cats.

I sent them to the vet. They did not have any fever. The vet just gave them some antibiotic. However, their poos did not get any better.

The vet suggested changing the cat food. So I stopped giving one of cats the Tesco cat food and see what is the outcome. Then I observed his poo is part pasty and part solid.

However, I am still not sure that if the Tesco cat food is the cause of the diarrhea.

I wonder if anybody's cats experience the same problem as my cats do after eating Tesco cat food.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesco 'choice Balance' Cat Food

Actually it depends on the cat. Their body will accept what it need. You can try diffrent brand of food and see? Observe for several weeks then come back to tell the results. Good Luck.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Animal Lover

Kyle is on a distinguished road

Thank you Ray for your advice. I will let you know the results.

After stopped giving them the Tesco cat food, I am still observing their poos.

I had given them the cat food for more than a year and everything was OK. Only for the past 2 or 3 months they started to have diarrhea.

The cat food sells out fast, so I wonder if the quality of the cat food has changed. I really want to find out the reason.

Anyone who experiences the same thing please let me know. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 AM
PetFinder Guru

Well.. Maybe you can try out BW. The poo will be hard and less smell, although I am not sure whether your cat is suit with the food -.- Mine isn't really compatible with it
Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

jouhari is on a distinguished road

did an experiment. BW was running out and I bought a new bag of cat eye. Used a chocolate tin's lid. I put BW on the left side. Cat's eye on the right. All 4 attacked the cat's eye. none wanted to stand on the bw side, all wanted to be on the side where cat eye was. they rather squish closer together than eat the bw. When they are done, BW still in the tin's lid barely touched. One side empty. a couple of my cats started coughing up. Good sign i guess. Means the hairball thingy worked right away.

so,

1. they either got bored of bw ( its been 2 weeks)
or
2. Cat eye was new to them and they were curious
or
3. Cat eye just simply rocks.

can't report on the poop stinkiness however because I changed the kitty litter too. different variables. it could be the new litter or it could be the food, or the wind wasnt blowing the right directions :)
texture wise, not so good. maybe they need time to adjust. from today's experiment alone, bw wins at harder stool. but we'll see.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Tesco 'choice Balance' Cat Food

Hi, Jouhari --

I admire your testing method, but I would suggest some caution interpreting the results. First, the makers of the inexpensive cat foods don't "play fair", and second, cats don't necessarily choose the foods that are good for them.

When it comes to the low-cost foods, the manufacturers often use additives to enhance the flavour. The result is something like potato chips -- they taste great, but offer little nutritional value. Given a taste test like yours, I predict that 99% of cats will choose the least nutritious food.

Second, cats are like children. If you give them a choice of McDonalds or steamed organic bok choy and fish, you know which one they'll choose. :-(

Sometimes we have to play the stern parent. Learn about the cat food ingredients. Most biscuits contain corn (maize) in large amounts (it's the first or second ingredient on the list). This is of NO nutritional value to a cat -- it simply fills him up. The inexpensive wet foods use a gelling agent that is primarily used in fabric softeners. This chemical is not approved for human use, but they put it into cat food.

So I would humbly offer two pieces of advice: start doing some reading on the Forum here at Petfinder and on the internet about good kitty nutrition. And don't necessarily trust what your cats tell you! :-) Best wishes to you and your furkids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouhari View Post
did an experiment. BW was running out and I bought a new bag of cat eye. Used a chocolate tin's lid. I put BW on the left side. Cat's eye on the right. All 4 attacked the cat's eye. none wanted to stand on the bw side, all wanted to be on the side where cat eye was. they rather squish closer together than eat the bw. When they are done, BW still in the tin's lid barely touched. One side empty. a couple of my cats started coughing up. Good sign i guess. Means the hairball thingy worked right away.

so,

1. they either got bored of bw ( its been 2 weeks)
or
2. Cat eye was new to them and they were curious
or
3. Cat eye just simply rocks.

can't report on the poop stinkiness however because I changed the kitty litter too. different variables. it could be the new litter or it could be the food, or the wind wasnt blowing the right directions :)
texture wise, not so good. maybe they need time to adjust. from today's experiment alone, bw wins at harder stool. but we'll see.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Maneki,

I bet you're right. These guys whacked the cat's eye because it tasted good hahahaha. Doesn't guarantee it was good for them. but, from my calculation, its more than bw costwise. Lots of us choose dry food I guess for its convinience and easy cleanup. I know thats not the best for the cats. We all owe it to our kitties to read up on their diets huh? They won't tell us. Its always gonna be Mcdonald's if we ask them! hehehehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Jouhari --

I admire your testing method, but I would suggest some caution interpreting the results. First, the makers of the inexpensive cat foods don't "play fair", and second, cats don't necessarily choose the foods that are good for them.

When it comes to the low-cost foods, the manufacturers often use additives to enhance the flavour. The result is something like potato chips -- they taste great, but offer little nutritional value. Given a taste test like yours, I predict that 99% of cats will choose the least nutritious food.

Second, cats are like children. If you give them a choice of McDonalds or steamed organic bok choy and fish, you know which one they'll choose. :-(

Sometimes we have to play the stern parent. Learn about the cat food ingredients. Most biscuits contain corn (maize) in large amounts (it's the first or second ingredient on the list). This is of NO nutritional value to a cat -- it simply fills him up. The inexpensive wet foods use a gelling agent that is primarily used in fabric softeners. This chemical is not approved for human use, but they put it into cat food.

So I would humbly offer two pieces of advice: start doing some reading on the Forum here at Petfinder and on the internet about good kitty nutrition. And don't necessarily trust what your cats tell you! :-) Best wishes to you and your furkids...
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
PetFinder Guru

check this out,

http://dry-cat-food.findthebest.com/

dry cat food rankings. Claims to rank it scientifically and unbiased. but the first one currently is called 'chicken soup'. dry chicken soup? Id like to see that hehehe.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road

:( All these brands are not even within 20km of where I live. My cat is getting bored with her Fussie Cat range. Now I'm buying those Whiskas, Prodiet and Smartheart sachets and feed her alternately with Fussie Cat and BW kibbles. Then of course there is the boiled chicken breast she so adores.

I thought cats never get bored of the same food. So untrue
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Well, does that make my cat unusual? She suits herself and love the same food for years. Change anything also she will gobble up. I only know that she have 2-3 brands that she doesn't like.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

i just got me a big 8kg bag of tesco's cat food. for Rm23 bucks!!!! score!!!!!!!!!!!! it was in the promotion section. part of the bag torn and reseal so they couldnt sell it retail price. SCORE!!!! thts like rm2.8/kg lesse how my kitties like it. I'm also gonna switch to tesco kitty litter 5.20 for 5kg. carrefour one is rm7.50 for 5kg. or is it litter?? err whichever :)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
PetFinder Guru

ok so that was my first experience with tesco cat food.

verdict.

price: Cheap
Ingredients: so so (corn top of the list)
poo poo: EWWWWWW, its smelly, its pasty its everywhere!

so, even if a big bag is on sale, forget about it. youll have to spend more on cleaning products.