Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Animal Lover

frhnshrn is on a distinguished road
Default Advice and help needed on FIP Disease.

My baby 1year 3months old cat, Hercules is infected with FIP Virus (Feline infectious peritonitis) which is not curable.

Hercules has build up fluid in his lungs which made his breathing difficult, low appetite and diagnosed with jaundice. The vet said among the options is to put Hercules to 'sleep' as its a fatal disease and will kill him slowly...

Do help me, advice me on a treatment to help my cat live longer...

Any cat owner who has dealt with this situation, do advice me on the steps that should i take...
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice and help needed on FIP Disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhnshrn View Post
My baby 1year 3months old cat, Hercules is infected with FIP Virus (Feline infectious peritonitis) which is not curable.

Hercules has build up fluid in his lungs which made his breathing difficult, low appetite and diagnosed with jaundice. The vet said among the options is to put Hercules to 'sleep' as its a fatal disease and will kill him slowly...

Do help me, advice me on a treatment to help my cat live longer...

Any cat owner who has dealt with this situation, do advice me on the steps that should i take...
Dear Frhnshrn,

I'm sorry to hear about Hercules.

Below is a link to a forum thread discussing other members' experiences with FIP. Unfortunately, as you know, there is no cure. Your choices are pretty much limited to keeping your cat comfortable until the disease takes him, or following your vet's advice to put him to sleep. I'm sorry -- I wish there was better news!

http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4796
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Animal Lover

Twironnie is on a distinguished road

Dear frhnshrn,

I'm very sorry to hear this.But don't worry.I have some infos here for you=)

First of all,I would like to ask you if your baby Hercules is an indoor or a outdoor cat?This is because this virus mostly affects outdoor cats.This is because outdoor cats often meet other cats(strays) who maybe already infected.FIP is generally not contagious but its initial form,the coronavirus is contagious to other cats.FIP is the mutated form of feline coronavirus(read more on Wikipedia).So This is why cats should be kept strictly indoors or only allowed outdoors supervised(on leash for eg).

Secondly,I'm very sure that you boy contracted this virus from your neighborhood so please alert your neighbors of this as their cats could be at risk too..And I will advice you to quarantine Hercules at home so you could look after him.I will also advice you to separate your other cats(get them tested too) to eliminate risk of infection.(if any-particularly very young or very old cats(they are most susceptible)).

Thirdly,the treatment for FIP is symptomatic and palliative only, i.e. typically the owner is advised to make the cat as comfortable as possible.IV fluids might be needed for Hercules if he is dehydrated.Your vet is the best person to help you now.Discuss all your other options with your vet throughly before coming to euthanasia.

Links for you:

WIKIPEDIA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_...us_peritonitis

Other resources:

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/fip.html

http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/news/fip.htm

http://stevedalepetworld.com/print-a...ment-called-pi

I would love to send my prayers to Hercules and you.Hope to hear good news from you.Don't panic,keep reading so you get the latest infos to help your baby.I know that his chances are slim as this disease is incurable but there are cases where infected cats lived for a long time after dianosis.<3

I will keep posting infos I get from time to time.I hope I helped.Stay strong hun.And sorry if I provided any wrong infos=)
Old 12-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Dear Frhnshrn,

I'm sorry to hear about Hercules.

Below is a link to a forum thread discussing other members' experiences with FIP. Unfortunately, as you know, there is no cure. Your choices are pretty much limited to keeping your cat comfortable until the disease takes him, or following your vet's advice to put him to sleep. I'm sorry -- I wish there was better news!

http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4796
Dear Maneki Neko,

Thank you so much for the link. I've did some research on the disease on the net as well but to be known that I cant do nothing much just to keep him comfortable and to be with him to get through his days...

Hercules will undergo a minor surgery to drained out excessive fluid in his lungs and the vet said this will help him breath normally but chances the fluid will build up within days... I'm advised to send him for regular check ups to remove the fluid... I'm praying that he will gain his appetite back as he is a fussy cat when it comes with his meals...
Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twironnie View Post
Dear frhnshrn,

I'm very sorry to hear this.But don't worry.I have some infos here for you=)

First of all,I would like to ask you if your baby Hercules is an indoor or a outdoor cat?This is because this virus mostly affects outdoor cats.This is because outdoor cats often meet other cats(strays) who maybe already infected.FIP is generally not contagious but its initial form,the coronavirus is contagious to other cats.FIP is the mutated form of feline coronavirus(read more on Wikipedia).So This is why cats should be kept strictly indoors or only allowed outdoors supervised(on leash for eg).

Secondly,I'm very sure that you boy contracted this virus from your neighborhood so please alert your neighbors of this as their cats could be at risk too..And I will advice you to quarantine Hercules at home so you could look after him.I will also advice you to separate your other cats(get them tested too) to eliminate risk of infection.(if any-particularly very young or very old cats(they are most susceptible)).

Thirdly,the treatment for FIP is symptomatic and palliative only, i.e. typically the owner is advised to make the cat as comfortable as possible.IV fluids might be needed for Hercules if he is dehydrated.Your vet is the best person to help you now.Discuss all your other options with your vet throughly before coming to euthanasia.

Links for you:

WIKIPEDIA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_...us_peritonitis

Other resources:

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/fip.html

http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/news/fip.htm

http://stevedalepetworld.com/print-a...ment-called-pi

I would love to send my prayers to Hercules and you.Hope to hear good news from you.Don't panic,keep reading so you get the latest infos to help your baby.I know that his chances are slim as this disease is incurable but there are cases where infected cats lived for a long time after dianosis.<3

I will keep posting infos I get from time to time.I hope I helped.Stay strong hun.And sorry if I provided any wrong infos=)
Dear Twironnie,

Thank you so much for your respond and advices. Very much appreciate it.
Hercules is an indoor cat, my vet was questioned as well on why Hercules can be infected with this disease.

I did my research on this disease and a friend of mine told me that her cat was diagnosed with this disease and she lost her cat after 2 weeks of medications. She also mentioned that got cases where cats with fip survived for years...

Now Hercules will undergo a minor surgery to remove the fluid in his lungs and I can only pray that he will be strong to go through his conditions. I'm trying my very best to help him and making him comfortable as my options are limited... I have to stay positive as well so that my sadness won't affect him... I wont put him go sleep as its better for me to let God and faith decide on his life...
Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Animal Lover

tayslin1 is on a distinguished road

Hi Frhnshrn
Sorry to hear about your Hercules. Hope he is holding on and doing well. Our 9 month old darling boy, Joyluck was diagnosed with FIP today. I have had cats most of my life and did not know such a disease existed and now my hubbie and I are devastated. Our cats are vaccinated etc and are all kept indoors. We have 3 other adult cats and 2 kittens and now are worried sick they could be affected now or in the future too. The reason I am writing is to ask your kind help in providing the name and location of your vet. We went to 3 vets today and were advised to take the cat home. Very sad.. at least your vet is willing to provide treatment.
Thank you in advanced and hope Hercules improves every day..
Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayslin1 View Post
Hi Frhnshrn
Sorry to hear about your Hercules. Hope he is holding on and doing well. Our 9 month old darling boy, Joyluck was diagnosed with FIP today. I have had cats most of my life and did not know such a disease existed and now my hubbie and I are devastated. Our cats are vaccinated etc and are all kept indoors. We have 3 other adult cats and 2 kittens and now are worried sick they could be affected now or in the future too. The reason I am writing is to ask your kind help in providing the name and location of your vet. We went to 3 vets today and were advised to take the cat home. Very sad.. at least your vet is willing to provide treatment.
Thank you in advanced and hope Hercules improves every day..
Hai Tayslin1,

Thank you so much for your concern and wishes. I'm a cat owner previously as well and this is the my first time too in experiencing and dealing with this disease. I'm devastated and frustrated to be informed that this disease are not curable... Hercules are also vaccinated and an indoor cat, which made me quite shocked on why he can be infected with such disease...

My vet clinic which I consulted is Klinik Veterinar Mayo in Taipan USJ 10 (same row with Victoria Station) and the phone number is 03 5637 7126 / 03 5637 7026. Hope they will help you to get a clearer view on your Joyluck's condition.

By the way, one of my friend who is staying in the UK has helped me to consult with her vet there as she was informed on Hercules condition and she's a cat owner as well. The vet suggest that I should consult with my vet whether they can give him with booster immunization (not that sure whether it is for prevention against this disease or for the treatment). I will consult with my vet today as Hercules will be discharge this evening. I shall update to you if anything.

And a friend of mine had a cat with this disease before and previously she practicing on giving her cat 'clam' (kerang in bahasa) diet during the treatment, altho her cat did not survive but it actually help in stabilizing her cat conditions.

Anyhow, hope this reply will help you and others. I do pray that our cat can improve day by day with the help of meds and treatments, altho it is quite impossible but i do hope a miracle will come in helping them to survive this awful disease...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Hi, Tayslin1 and Frhnshrn,

I found this article on the web site of the Cornell University Veterinary College. (Where my dad studied, actually. :-) It's well-written, not overly technical, and it answers a lot of the common questions, including the one you are both asking: "We keep our cats indoors, and they're vaccinated, so why do they have FIP??"

The good news is that it's not easily transmitted to other cats. Unfortunately, this article doesn't provide a miracle cure, tho. :-(

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fip.html

Wishing all the best to you and your cats...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Animal Lover

Hi Maneke Neko
Thanks for responding.
Yes, I came across the Cornell info in my web research.
We had to make one of the most difficult dicisions of our lives yesterday by signing the euthanasia form. Joyluck was having seizures from 6.45am, my husband having nursed him through the night (which the vet said seizures are not common in FIP cases) and we waited for our neighbourhood vet to open at 9.30am. We lost him in a span of 3 days - before understanding and accepting that he even had FIP but Xray showed the fluid in abdomen and a little in his chest. All the outward signs he showed was loss of appetite. We are heartbroken.. Pray our Joyluck will rest in peace..
Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Dear Tayslin1,

You have my sincerest sympathy. I've been in that same spot myself, and I know how painful it is. I'm glad you'd seen the Cornell info, because it confirmed that you could have done nothing to prevent his FIP and nothing more than you did to treat it.

I do trust that your dear Joyluck is in peace and out of pain, and I'm happy that he knew your love during his lifetime.

Best wishes ...

Quote:
Hi Maneke Neko
Thanks for responding.
Yes, I came across the Cornell info in my web research.
We had to make one of the most difficult dicisions of our lives yesterday by signing the euthanasia form. Joyluck was having seizures from 6.45am, my husband having nursed him through the night (which the vet said seizures are not common in FIP cases) and we waited for our neighbourhood vet to open at 9.30am. We lost him in a span of 3 days - before understanding and accepting that he even had FIP but Xray showed the fluid in abdomen and a little in his chest. All the outward signs he showed was loss of appetite. We are heartbroken.. Pray our Joyluck will rest in peace..
Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Animal Lover

Dear frhnshrn,

I wish Hercules and you good luck.=) Please keep us posted on him.I will hope for the best and pray for Hercules and you.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Frshshrn
Thanks for the response but we lost Joyluck yesterday (Monday). As he was anemic too, think the kerang would have helped but alas..
The whole story..
On Friday morning, we sent him to a popular Puchong vet for drip because his appetite was very poor. We didn't suspect anthing majorly wrong then. I had changed their food ten days before so maybe thought he was just eating less but each time we fed, he also came running.
The vet first called to say nothing wrong then called again in the afternoon to say he was jaundiced. We asked to proceed with treatment. They said they had to keep him overnight. Next they, they did blood test, said his liver still okay but he was anemic so they recommended blood transfusion. All these 2 days, he was a little weak but could still take the AD critical care food and even some kibble when we finger fed him. After the transfusion that night (Saturday), the vet called again to say he was up and walking around the cage and even finished all the food in his bowl on his own (we were so relieved thinking the worse was over and we could take him home the next morning!!). At 8.30am the next day Sunday, the vet called again and said Joyluck was again lying down and recumbent. They told us to visit at 12.30pm. At 10.30 am we went in again and the vet quickly rushed us in saying he had had a seizure. We were shocked and I could not stop crying. We asked then what they could do and they replied nothing much except Xray. The result showed fluid in his tummy and a little in the chest. the vet then said slight pnemonia! At this point and because the vet insisted they could not so anything more, we decided to rush him to the Jalan Ipon Hospital where the Dr there told us about FIP. In the 3 days at the Puchong Vet they did not talk about FIP or say it was a possibility. They said most likely "flea borne disease"! I really regret the 3 days he spent there in the company of around 20 sick cats in cages stacked over each other! He must have been lonely, miserable, cold and suffering..
We would have spent more time with him but couldn't due to their weekend operating hours.
Another thing that is disturbing is that the vet did ask if his tummy had always been bulat to which we replied yes as he was always a nice round cat. If he suspected his tummy was distended, why did they not immediately think FIP??
The Jalan Ipoh vet recommended putting him down and we said no as we still wanted to give him a chance to live. He prescribed some steroids and antibiotics. After Jalan Ipoh, we took him to Gasing for another opinion. The kind Dr there also said most likely FIP but his albumin count was not indicative of a normal FIP case. He said he could keep him but recommended to take him home and make him as comfortable as possible.
We then decided to take him home (than leave him in another strange place) and try to force feed him the AD food and glucose water and the antibiotics.
He was glad to come home and we tried to nurse him through the night but it was really tough trying to feed him as he did not want to swallow.
At 6.45am Monday, he had another seizure and mild seizures every 30 mins or so after. We didn't know what to do, by this time his mata dah tak boleh blink; just like staring into space and we said we had to bring him to the vet to let him go to God.
We waited outside for our local vet to open (putra heights) and after making some tests, the Dr there also said we should end his suffering. It was such a hard decision to make but we could not bear our dearest Boy suffering anymore. The Dr also said that seizures are not common in FIP cases.
Now we are in a walking around in a daze and grieving - we don't know what struck us and what took him away for sure.
We are also worried about our other Sayangs as if you look online, some sites say that FIP is contagious and some not.
Please hold Hercules close as long as you can. Keep us updated on his condition please and we pray he gets stronger day by day to fight the disease..
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Hi Frshshrn
Thanks for the response but we lost Joyluck yesterday (Monday). As he was anemic too, think the kerang would have helped but alas..
The whole story..
On Friday morning, we sent him to a popular Puchong vet for drip because his appetite was very poor. We didn't suspect anthing majorly wrong then. I had changed their food ten days before so maybe thought he was just eating less but each time we fed, he also came running.
The vet first called to say nothing wrong then called again in the afternoon to say he was jaundiced. We asked to proceed with treatment. They said they had to keep him overnight. Next they, they did blood test, said his liver still okay but he was anemic so they recommended blood transfusion. All these 2 days, he was a little weak but could still take the AD critical care food and even some kibble when we finger fed him. After the transfusion that night (Saturday), the vet called again to say he was up and walking around the cage and even finished all the food in his bowl on his own (we were so relieved thinking the worse was over and we could take him home the next morning!!). At 8.30am the next day Sunday, the vet called again and said Joyluck was again lying down and recumbent. They told us to visit at 12.30pm. At 10.30 am we went in again and the vet quickly rushed us in saying he had had a seizure. We were shocked and I could not stop crying. We asked then what they could do and they replied nothing much except Xray. The result showed fluid in his tummy and a little in the chest. the vet then said slight pnemonia! At this point and because the vet insisted they could not so anything more, we decided to rush him to the Jalan Ipon Hospital where the Dr there told us about FIP. In the 3 days at the Puchong Vet they did not talk about FIP or say it was a possibility. They said most likely "flea borne disease"! I really regret the 3 days he spent there in the company of around 20 sick cats in cages stacked over each other! He must have been lonely, miserable, cold and suffering..
We would have spent more time with him but couldn't due to their weekend operating hours.
Another thing that is disturbing is that the vet did ask if his tummy had always been bulat to which we replied yes as he was always a nice round cat. If he suspected his tummy was distended, why did they not immediately think FIP??
The Jalan Ipoh vet recommended putting him down and we said no as we still wanted to give him a chance to live. He prescribed some steroids and antibiotics. After Jalan Ipoh, we took him to Gasing for another opinion. The kind Dr there also said most likely FIP but his albumin count was not indicative of a normal FIP case. He said he could keep him but recommended to take him home and make him as comfortable as possible.
We then decided to take him home (than leave him in another strange place) and try to force feed him the AD food and glucose water and the antibiotics.
He was glad to come home and we tried to nurse him through the night but it was really tough trying to feed him as he did not want to swallow.
At 6.45am Monday, he had another seizure and mild seizures every 30 mins or so after. We didn't know what to do, by this time his mata dah tak boleh blink; just like staring into space and we said we had to bring him to the vet to let him go to God.
We waited outside for our local vet to open (putra heights) and after making some tests, the Dr there also said we should end his suffering. It was such a hard decision to make but we could not bear our dearest Boy suffering anymore. The Dr also said that seizures are not common in FIP cases.
Now we are in a walking around in a daze and grieving - we don't know what struck us and what took him away for sure.
We are also worried about our other Sayangs as if you look online, some sites say that FIP is contagious and some not.
Please hold Hercules close as long as you can. Keep us updated on his condition please and we pray he gets stronger day by day to fight the disease..
Dear Tayslin1,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience dealing with Joyluck's condition. I'm deeply sorry and sympathy on your lost. Indeed, Joyluck will rest in peace up in the heaven.

Yesterday, Hercules was discharge. The doc has remove the fluid from hercules lung on Saturday and on Monday. unfortunately, the fluid quickly building up in his lungs just for only 2days... The doc drained almost 30ml of fluid in his lung...

Now, Hercules are in my company... I will spend the my time and attention to him as the doc informed that Hercules doesn't have much time left... So far, he is still low in appetite... His skin is yellow because of the jaundice... The vet didnt give me any meds... Just advice me to bring Hercules if he start having difficulties in breating, to take out again the fluid by time to time... Nothing much I can do, just keeping him comfortable, monitoring him and be with him to get through his days...

Thank you again for your warm wishes and prayers... Hope a miracle with come to somewhat cure this awful disease...
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Animal Lover

Dear all,

My dear Hercules have left me and my family yesterday at 6pm... He has suffered from this awful disease for more than a week... I was actually in the midst deciding to let the vet put him to 'sleep' as I couldn't bare his condition but dear God have help him by taking his life.

I know he's in a better place now in the heaven, along with other cats.

Thank you so much with your wishes, prayers and respond. God love him so much to let him stay in heaven. May he rest in peace.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Dear all,

My dear Hercules have left me and my family yesterday at 6pm... He has suffered from this awful disease for more than a week... I was actually in the midst deciding to let the vet put him to 'sleep' as I couldn't bare his condition but dear God have help him by taking his life.

Thank you so much with your wishes, prayers and respond. God love him so much to let him stay in heaven. May he rest in peace.
Dear Frhnshrn,

My condolences to you, but I also believe that Hercules is at peace now, and he was VERY lucky to have lived with a human who cared so deeply for him.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Animal Lover

Dear Frhnshrn
We are so sorry for your loss. How hard it is to let our little loved ones go. They are after all in a better place with no more hurt and pain. It has been 9 days since we lost Joyluck and it still hurts. We know it has been a most difficult and trying time for you and your family.. and our thoughts are with you..
Really wish there was more widespread knowledge about FIP so other cat lovers and owners will recognise the signs and not be in the dark anymore - not only learning about the disease once it too late and their darlings are in critical shape.
Take care..
Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Animal Lover

madeywa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dear all,

My condolences...
Old 12-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Animal Lover

My condolences.RIP Hercules....he is in a better place now where there is no such thing called pain and suffering..