Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kawan-kawan boleh explain tak?

han73: If you're going to the vet with your cat's problem, be sure to observe and monitor all her behavioural patterns. The vet will ask you lots of questions.

For Blackie's case, the questions were: any specific part of the day when he will hissed and growled for no reason and bit himself (it was around 11am every morning), any specific part of the home when this happened, how many seconds it lasted, and whether he could consciously stop it if I were to clap my hands or make a sudden, loud noise, of if he continued despite the sudden, loud noise.

Halim66: Behavioural problem is determined only after a series of elimination. It's not the first problem the vet decides on, even though it sounded like behavioural problem to the vet right from the start. The reason being, there are many, more common possibilities, eg, fleas might be the reason the cat is aggressive when it is picked up......some cats are allergic to flea bites, and flea skin dermatitis could cause its skin to be sensitive to the touch. This is the most common problem, and has to be eliminated first before proceeding to other common possibilities.

Even though the vet couldn't find any fleas or signs of fleas from checking Blackie throughly and scraping some skin off his back to check under the microscope, flea treatment was still the first treatment to be done. Then, worms, and so on....behavioural problem is only determined after all possibilities have been eliminated.

So, maybe you might want to take your cat to the vet to determine what's wrong with him. If it's a behavioural problem, it's good to get it sorted out so your cat can feel loved and secure again. And if it's not, then you also know what is physically wrong with your cat, and get early treatment for it.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM
PetFinder Guru

Halim66 is on a distinguished road

Anyway, thanks again for your explaination, i do admit that sometimes i can't get all this kind of info's from my regular vets....

In Zack's case, started from day one i took him back... he'll hide under my bed for weeks!!!... then "curi-2" keluar utk makan/minum... poo/pee but mixed very well with my other cats. Even the lady at the SPCA has warned me about his problem.

He didn't show any weird behavioral sign as your Blackie did, no hissing without any reason, no biting BUT he won't let u to come too close to him.
There's one time i had to give him a sleeping pill, just to drug him a bit so that i can bath and check on him... So, i've decided to let him in his own world... let him out whenever he wants to go and let him in when he calls u...

It's already 5 months now...and things getting much better. Sometimes, he'll come to u...gesek sana sini..nak manja...and if u want to touch him.. JANGAN terus terkam!!! slowly call for his name.. if he didn't run... then there's a good chance for u laa. Btw, now he's grounded... almost for 2 weeks already...just to see if this will make any difference.

The other thing is... dia senang terkezut.. any sudden sound will make him jump...toinkkk...toinkk..toinkkk....
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Animal Lover

han73 is on a distinguished road

She eat well sleep well and she just like to be herself. My 4 month female cat naughty sometimes will case her and she play for awhile then she start hishing at her. Even to my other female cat when ever they meet she will hishing. She have really weird behaviour. When to see vets n check the vet told me that she's is fine.You can pick her up during feeding time and at nite when time to sleep. Other wise when you come close to her she will run.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Kawan-kawan boleh explain tak?

Han,just like human,cats dislike other cats too. You must understand their behaviour before sending her to the vet as per Blackie because both are totally different situation and cases.

Same like human, I don't like you,you don't like her, he don't like me, attitude. Kucing pun sama. U should see my Daybonk. I had her for almost 2 yrs now. I don't go pick her up and cuddle her.She will come to me whenever she wants to be cuddle. Not all cats are lap cat. Some cats need extra time to warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by han73 View Post
She eat well sleep well and she just like to be herself. My 4 month female cat naughty sometimes will case her and she play for awhile then she start hishing at her. Even to my other female cat when ever they meet she will hishing. She have really weird behaviour. When to see vets n check the vet told me that she's is fine.You can pick her up during feeding time and at nite when time to sleep. Other wise when you come close to her she will run.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Halim66: Actually, Zack sounds to me more like a timid/nervous cat than a cat with a behavioral problem for the vet. Behavioural problem as per my Blackie's case is not timid or nervous, but a real problem, as in, a sudden change in character/personality. He became totally different, and that was why I knew something was wrong.

The vet will give you more info if you ask them more questions.

han73: I agree with June. Your cat sounds to me more like she doesn't like your other cats. Some cats are aloof, some are friendly, and like June said, some do not like other cats. I personally know one cat which loves humans, any humans, including complete strangers, but can't stand other cats.

It's a behavioral problem for a vet if you see a sudden change in character....cats hide their sickness well, so if you see a sudden change in character, even a simple thing like refusing to eat, then it's time for a visit to the vet. If they have been behaving like that all the while, then that's their character/personality.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Animal Lover

jucatlover is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Kawan-kawan boleh explain tak?

um, sorry 4 the interruption but i hav this weird condition wit my 5month female kittens. last 2 days ago, she when mising yet my mom n i found her yesterday evening. she acted so wild for no reason like she doesn't know us anymore.
starting on that day till now, dia jd miang sangat. bunyi je xtentu pasal. ada kemungkinan ke dia on heat? tp dia kan still a kitten. letak dia dlm cage pon dia bunyi n bila dlm rumah pon sama. runsing sangat.. plz help
Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 AM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Dah spay tak dia? Kalau belom...on heat la tu..kucing kalau on heat memang garang...
Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Animal Lover

Question Re: Kawan-kawan boleh explain tak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
Dah spay tak dia? Kalau belom...on heat la tu..kucing kalau on heat memang garang...
blom coz dia bru 5bulan..cm kecik lg. tp naper dia tunjuk tanda2 nk ngawan? kt umah da kucin jntan. c kucin jntn tu syik kejar yg 5month tu xbrenti. ptut let them be ke seperate? bila let them be c 5month tu cm xkisah pon klau c jntn tu nk ngawan. tp tkut laa.. aduhai.. bleh ke 5month ++ on heat?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucatlover View Post
blom coz dia bru 5bulan..cm kecik lg. tp naper dia tunjuk tanda2 nk ngawan? kt umah da kucin jntan. c kucin jntn tu syik kejar yg 5month tu xbrenti. ptut let them be ke seperate? bila let them be c 5month tu cm xkisah pon klau c jntn tu nk ngawan. tp tkut laa.. aduhai.. bleh ke 5month ++ on heat?
FYI, anak kucing boleh capai tahap matang seawal umur 4 bulan..so, tak mustahil dia dah mula heat...biasanya kita boleh spay kucing dalam 5 bulan la...

Kalau u tak nak kucing betina u beranak..seperate kan je la...lepas abis dia heat, hantar spay terus...habis cerita..u pun tak pening.. Klau boleh dengan kucing2 jantan tu sekali u neuterkan...
Old 05-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Betul kata Kuntum, kucing especially kucing betina boleh sexually matured at 4 bulan. Kalau tak silap, bila umur dia 4 bulan dan berat 2kg ke atas, dia akan start in heat.. Tu yg mengiao2 x sudah..

Separate kan kucing jantan dgn betina kalau x nak bercucu cicit lg.. dan tak elok kalau kucing betina mengawan dlm usia muda.. high probability menghadapi masalah kelahiran..

Cara paling mudah ialah, spay (kasi) kucing2 tu...
Old 05-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Animal Lover

ohh mc tu lahh.. lega rasanya.. tp bila nk tau ek bila musim dia stop heat? thanls u guys. i wil seperate her 1st.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

kalau dia dah tak bising lagi...tak garang...like her normal self... Kena tahan la dalam 5-7 ari ni...

Hati2...masa heat ni sebab ur female cat tu boleh kencing merata jugak walaupun toilet trained tapi tak le sentiasa..ada masa2 dia...good idea la kalau u nank kandangkan buat sementara waktu...