Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Animal Lover

ChooBee is on a distinguished road
Default How to manage cat fur.

Hi Ya'll,

I've been having some issues with my cat's fur,especially ChooBee. She's a DLH and she shed her fur like nobody's business. Her fur is on the sofas,my bed, my clothes, the floor (they self collect and become furballs rolling on the floor) and kitchen utensils!. I don't think there's anything wrong with her in the sheeding and it's pretty much in her nature to shed in our kind of whether.

You guys can offer some tips to reduce the shedding? I'm toying with an idea of getting her a lion haircut, like these cats in the pictures here.

Anyone can share your experience on this on the hair regrowing stage,I don't want her to itch or get any sore as a result of her skin getting so exposed. Not forgeting, any tips on maintenance after getting the lion cut would be greatly appreciated. See Ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ash-lion-cut-1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	6139   Click image for larger version

Name:	beauty&thebeast.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	6140   Click image for larger version

Name:	punk-cat.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	6141  
Old 07-04-2009, 07:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to manage cat fur.

Hi !
My 2 cats did have a lion cut sometime back. The reasons were ...adam was shedding *same like your ChooBee* and yaya was having body mites problem which caused him to excessively grooming himself, and his furrs turned yellowish.

I took both of them to my vet, and both of them came back looking like 2 little lions that day LOL

Yes, some parts of their skin especially the underarms got a little reddish due to friction but that lasted only for 2-3 days. Cats furrs grow very fast, their furrs fully grown back in 2 months.

My vet charged RM50 for each cat for a lion cut .
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Mamiauww...

shareen_natasha is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to shareen_natasha
Talking Re: How to manage cat fur.

waaaa... LION'S CUT ? 1st time I saw it & heard bout it too... waaa... interesting larrr...

"`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareen_natasha View Post
waaaa... LION'S CUT ? 1st time I saw it & heard bout it too... waaa... interesting larrr...
For special case aje sha...
kalau bulu gugur terlalu banyak, kutu yg halus2 tu, mites , bulu bersimpul sgt teruk akibat lama tak gruming *selalu jadi kat longhair yang terbiar, atau owner tak pernah sikat*atau penyakit kulit yang teruk.

Very funny laaa....how they look after dat....lucu wakakakak !!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

abul is on a distinguished road

look interesting la....
Comel gak kalo bulu dia jd cm lion
Old 07-05-2009, 12:21 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooBee View Post
Hi Ya'll,

I've been having some issues with my cat's fur,especially ChooBee. She's a DLH and she shed her fur like nobody's business. Her fur is on the sofas,my bed, my clothes, the floor (they self collect and become furballs rolling on the floor) and kitchen utensils!. I don't think there's anything wrong with her in the sheeding and it's pretty much in her nature to shed in our kind of whether.

You guys can offer some tips to reduce the shedding? I'm toying with an idea of getting her a lion haircut, like these cats in the pictures here.

Anyone can share your experience on this on the hair regrowing stage,I don't want her to itch or get any sore as a result of her skin getting so exposed. Not forgeting, any tips on maintenance after getting the lion cut would be greatly appreciated. See Ya!
Change the diet first..try and try to feed them proper supplements for them. Nutri coat would be good to start with... Mine, DLH also and the same prob.. I feed her supplements..Nutri coat..chnge her diet ..now she is eating RC Hair & Skin + Innova Evo at the ratio of 2:1.The extra protein in Innova will be good for the fur . Then remember to brush/comb their fur every other day..t help reduce the shedding..

Nway, tiger cut will not help dat much anyway.. N yeah, try to keep fleas /ticks/mites away..Usuallly excess shedding is caused by fleas...
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Animal Lover

ChooBee is on a distinguished road

Wah suddenly so many replies . Thanks.

Choobee does not have any fleas or mites problem, at least from what I've observed so far la. there is no mad scratching or biting of fur and skin.

So far I've done what I can to give her a comb every two days or so. My problem is she gets really mad when I try to comb around her belly and underarms. TIckles is it over there? When I start combing, she will give me a muted growl working to a big HISS as the combing progresses. Then I become takut to continue. She's really a DIVa la.

I've resorted to combing her belly and underarms when she's sound asleep. By the time she is fully awake and start her growling, I'd have almost finish combing her.

I've also reconsidered getting her a lion cut. Unless there is a medical requirement like Adamyala's, I think I should let her keep her crowning glory. I takut if I really cut her fur, she'll merajuk & stop eating. I'm always at her mercy. Aiyo!

On her diet. I feed her Fit 32. That's the only food she'll eat. On Nurkasih's suggestion to try nutri coat supplement, yeah, I'll probally explore that when I go to the pet shop next time. I'll have to think of a way to trick her into taking that supplement though.

Cherios!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
PetFinder Guru

honeybun is on a distinguished road

Adamyala

That's quite cheap for a lion cut. Where did you do it?

Quote:
Hi !
My 2 cats did have a lion cut sometime back. The reasons were ...adam was shedding *same like your ChooBee* and yaya was having body mites problem which caused him to excessively grooming himself, and his furrs turned yellowish.

I took both of them to my vet, and both of them came back looking like 2 little lions that day LOL

Yes, some parts of their skin especially the underarms got a little reddish due to friction but that lasted only for 2-3 days. Cats furrs grow very fast, their furrs fully grown back in 2 months.

My vet charged RM50 for each cat for a lion cut .
Old 07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
Adamyala

That's quite cheap for a lion cut. Where did you do it?
is it cheap ? I have not been to any other places...so...I have no idea its competitive. I thought its the 'standard' price. How much they normally charge for a lion cut ?

Its Healing Pet, Damansara Jaya.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:40 AM
PetFinder Guru

HTML Code:
is it cheap ? I have not been to any other places...so...I have no idea its competitive. I thought its the 'standard' price. How much they normally charge for a lion cut ?
The last time I did was RM 140 including bius. Yours are persians long hair, right?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
HTML Code:
The last time I did was RM 140 including bius. Yours are persians long hair, right?
Adam is a persian, yaya is a DSLH *domestic semi longhair*

why do they need to 'bius' your cat ?

is he/she very fierce ? My cat was awake when they did it.

I was there, watching their furrs being shaved

they only 'meow' a little to complain, but they didnt struggle

the doc was very gentle and of course they are very confidence with him, being their regular vet.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

My GARLIC for the past one week has been excessively scratching her ears, head and neck. She has patches of bald spots on her head and neck.

At first, I thought she was allergic to the new collar I gave her, so I removed it.
Then, I thought it was mites, I gave her mites meds - ears.
Lastly, I gave her a dose of frontline, thinking she could be allergic to fleas but she is still scratching.

Any suggestion?

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com

Last edited by sillylupie; 07-13-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
My GARLIC for the past one week has been excessively scratching her ears, head and neck. She has patches of bald spots on her head and neck.

At first, I thought she was allergic to the new collar I gave her, so I removed it.
Lastly, I gave her a dose of frontline, thinking she could be allergic to fleas but she is still scratching.

Any suggestion?
What is she really needs is the antibiotic med from the vet..Yes she may be allergic to fleas/mites... Mine just recovered...frontline/mite meds will not help that much... Vet would..
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post

Any suggestion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
What is she really needs is the antibiotic med from the vet..Yes she may be allergic to fleas/mites... Mine just recovered...frontline/mite meds will not help that much... Vet would..
ohh...yaa...now I remember, our forumer euanna *Yan* also facing the same problem with her cat salem. Wonder if salem is ok now. Wait...I go check her thread...

or read june's thread here : http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=2170

Last edited by adamyala; 07-13-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
PetFinder Guru

Adamyala

Quote:
Adam is a persian, yaya is a DSLH *domestic semi longhair*

why do they need to 'bius' your cat ?

is he/she very fierce ? My cat was awake when they did it.

I was there, watching their furrs being shaved

they only 'meow' a little to complain, but they didnt struggle

the doc was very gentle and of course they are very confidence with him, being their regular vet.
I pun tak pasti why. My cat tak garang sgt. Infact hari tu I nak hantar for grooming jek, and potong some matted hair, but the vet called and cakap nak kena shave sebab dah teruk sangat. I ingat tak lah seteruk tu. But I agree. Bila time nak ambil, dia inform about the bius and the full charges.

Anyway, my other cat, Oreo, bulu dia dah mula matted sikit dan kuning. So I dah call your vet, and they confirmed Rm 60. Then I called a nearer pet shop in Subang, and they also charge Rm 60 for long hair. Hari ni he will be Lion King.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

Mungkin sebab you 1st time nak hantar kot, dia charge RM60. Kalau dah regular mesti dia kasi discount. This vet is a cat rescuer also. Dia rescue cats from the streets , treat and feed them , pastu kasi la kat sapa2 yg betul2 sayang kucing. Ada gak dia offer I untuk adopt kucing for free, tapi I tak berani nak bela banyak2.

Good luck to Oreo

Quote:
Adamyala
I pun tak pasti why. My cat tak garang sgt. Infact hari tu I nak hantar for grooming jek, and potong some matted hair, but the vet called and cakap nak kena shave sebab dah teruk sangat. I ingat tak lah seteruk tu. But I agree. Bila time nak ambil, dia inform about the bius and the full charges.

Anyway, my other cat, Oreo, bulu dia dah mula matted sikit dan kuning. So I dah call your vet, and they confirmed Rm 60. Then I called a nearer pet shop in Subang, and they also charge Rm 60 for long hair. Hari ni he will be Lion King.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Animal Lover

hemorion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
For special case aje sha...
kalau bulu gugur terlalu banyak, kutu yg halus2 tu, mites , bulu bersimpul sgt teruk akibat lama tak gruming *selalu jadi kat longhair yang terbiar, atau owner tak pernah sikat*atau penyakit kulit yang teruk.

Very funny laaa....how they look after dat....lucu wakakakak !!!!
yang nih i agree, sebab my Mr. Gremlins waktu tak bersikat memang bulu di mak aih.....lemah tengok, kusut masai + kembang menyerabai cam langsuir pastu merata2 bulu dia ada....after I make it a must kena rajin sikat bulu dia he turned out to be like lion head le gak, sebab tengok bulu dia kembang kat tengkok dia tapi the rest of his body cam tersusun kemas je bulunya - comey le pulak tengok, tapi kengkadang cam garang le pulak muka dia (walopun dia sangatlah penakut yaRabbi.....)
Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
ohh...yaa...now I remember, our forumer euanna *Yan* also facing the same problem with her cat salem. Wonder if salem is ok now. Wait...I go check her thread...

or read june's thread here : http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=2170
Thanks!!! Very informative link to thread!
It does sound like GARLIC's problem.
I guess I'll wait for a few more days before the frontline takes effect! (She seemed to have scratch less yesterday!)

After reading the thread, I am quite certain GARLIC is having flea bite allergy! (No thanks to Pataya - little kitten I brought in - I did "frontline" him with spray but somehow those pests are very resilient, I saw one flea on him yesterday, I guess I need the "spot-on" type now!)

Honeybun I can't wait to see your lion king! :)

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Animal Lover

hemorion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooBee View Post
Wah suddenly so many replies . Thanks.

Choobee does not have any fleas or mites problem, at least from what I've observed so far la. there is no mad scratching or biting of fur and skin.

So far I've done what I can to give her a comb every two days or so. My problem is she gets really mad when I try to comb around her belly and underarms. TIckles is it over there? When I start combing, she will give me a muted growl working to a big HISS as the combing progresses. Then I become takut to continue. She's really a DIVa la.

I've resorted to combing her belly and underarms when she's sound asleep. By the time she is fully awake and start her growling, I'd have almost finish combing her.

I've also reconsidered getting her a lion cut. Unless there is a medical requirement like Adamyala's, I think I should let her keep her crowning glory. I takut if I really cut her fur, she'll merajuk & stop eating. I'm always at her mercy. Aiyo!

On her diet. I feed her Fit 32. That's the only food she'll eat. On Nurkasih's suggestion to try nutri coat supplement, yeah, I'll probally explore that when I go to the pet shop next time. I'll have to think of a way to trick her into taking that supplement though.

Cherios!

try comb her hair after her bath...Mr. Gremlin pun a bit fussy gak bila nak comb his bulu-bulu tu especially at the belly and the underarms and the 'bikini line'...so what I did, I guna sikat yang jarang2 yang selalu men use to comb their hair dulu....sikat dulu waktu bulu tu still lembab lagi...then dry it off with hair dryer.

bila dah kering baru i use the comb for cats.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hmmm...mcm kita gak kan...

kalau tak sikat rambut selalu, mesti kusut masai

nak nak yang rambut panjang dan jenis kembang

bangun pagi pun tak sanggup nak tengok muka sendiri kat cermin

takoootttt !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemorion View Post
yang nih i agree, sebab my Mr. Gremlins waktu tak bersikat memang bulu di mak aih.....lemah tengok, kusut masai + kembang menyerabai cam langsuir pastu merata2 bulu dia ada....after I make it a must kena rajin sikat bulu dia he turned out to be like lion head le gak, sebab tengok bulu dia kembang kat tengkok dia tapi the rest of his body cam tersusun kemas je bulunya - comey le pulak tengok, tapi kengkadang cam garang le pulak muka dia (walopun dia sangatlah penakut yaRabbi.....)