Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Animal Lover

lisachs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat spaying - pros & cons

Thanks Naddy for sharing this with us. Will check with doc as to which is the best for my Allie cos she's still having UTI now
Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM
... ... ...

naddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
so u have to give twice per year for the shot, I supposed??
yup. twice per year for 6 cats.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Cat spaying - pros & cons

There's no govt vet at your kampung?? RM15 x 2 = RM30 x 6 cats = RM180.

RM180 x 4 yrs = RM720.That quite an amount. Whilst you spend, say RM100 x 6 cats but for a life time if you neuter all your cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
yup. twice per year for 6 cats.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
... ... ...

Quote:
There's no govt vet at your kampung?? RM15 x 2 = RM30 x 6 cats = RM180.

RM180 x 4 yrs = RM720.That quite an amount. Whilst you spend, say RM100 x 6 cats but for a life time if you neuter all your cats.
govt vet in my kg only provided medication and services for catching up wild animals. there no operation for cats or house hold pets. already ask them.

after 23 years living there just recently there is one private vet opened. as for the service is quite good but the cost of spaying per cat is rm250 per cat.
(rm250x6=rm1500)
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 AM
Animal Lover

BeLLaRiN is on a distinguished road

when do cats on heat? what age?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Cat spaying - pros & cons

I think the best way is still neuter your cats because what happen if you cats live another 15 yrs?? (like my mum's cat)

You don't have to neuter them all at the same time.Probably you can start with 2 cats per year.I know the fee is expensive therefore I suggested 2 cats a year.

Bellarin, female cat can go on heat as young as 3 mths old. Male cat between 5 mths and above. That is why all my house cats (especially female cats) I send them to be spay when they reach 5 mths old. I can't stand their sopranos

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
govt vet in my kg only provided medication and services for catching up wild animals. there no operation for cats or house hold pets. already ask them.

after 23 years living there just recently there is one private vet opened. as for the service is quite good but the cost of spaying per cat is rm250 per cat.
(rm250x6=rm1500)
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM
... ... ...

Quote:
I think the best way is still neuter your cats because what happen if you cats live another 15 yrs?? (like my mum's cat)

You don't have to neuter them all at the same time.Probably you can start with 2 cats per year.I know the fee is expensive therefore I suggested 2 cats a year.
Do no get me wrong, i do support spayed n neuter and all 3 of my males cat at hometown n 2 female cats staying wit me in kl already been spayed. But in my hometown when convenience isn't there, wat u can do is try other alternative. the main goal for spayed n neuter is to prevent unwanted pregnancy/kitties. also same wit injection n pill...the result is the same but the method is different.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Animal Lover

CanuckinKL2 is on a distinguished road

To Bellarin,

Most kittens have first 'in heat' cycle around 6 months of age.

Most veterinarians agree the best time to spay is before first heat cycle. Normally spaying can start between 4-6 months of age. Some shelters may spay earlier because they are trying to deal with the problem of pet overpopulation yet are well aware that puppies/kittens are most adoptable.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Animal Lover

Hie guys, just to update all of you who has been such a great help to me. I went to see Dr. Jonathan at ARA Ampang yesterday and he suggested the pill for Allie to enable her to overcome/control her "on heat" problem. But he did say that its a no-no if you want it for the long run as taking too much pills can give our pets diabetic, kidney failures and other illness. So he only consented to given me 2 pills for Allie and thereafter Allie has to be spayed. And the cost of spaying at ARA Ampang is about RM180 (without complications).
Anyway, I've decided to spay Allie as I think in the long run, it'll benefit her more
Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Animal Lover

Hello forumers cum friends, this morning I sent my Allie for spaying at Klinik Kembiri Setapak and it went well, thank God! Actually I wanted to get her spayed much earlier but her UTI problems keep on cropping up. So since her UTI problem has now disappear, I quickly spayed her. Anyway, we went there around 9.45am and I was asked to collect her around 2.30pm. And the cost is RM70.00

Now she's back home in the cage but she is still groggy and doesn't want any water at all. Even though she's groggy, she's trying to find ways to get out from the cage. I'm afraid that she's will tired herself out if she still continue to do that

Is there anything that I can do? At least to calm her down. FYI, I've put the cage in my bedroom with the light off. I appreciate if anyone can give me some suggestions to this. Thanks a million
Old 10-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Human :-)

prinz38i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to prinz38i

it ok.. she will stop if she tired. just keep her in there for few days. u can open the door if u want to cuddle her... put in her fav wet food or wet food that produce more smell such as Qiut. she will ok if she have food or known nothing harm her in there... better to keep in then out of cage.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Animal Lover

Hie Prinz38i, thanks for the advice.. appreciate it a lot. But my Allie has not been caged up her whole life, so therefore when she's in the cage, she's scratching her way out all the time. It really stressed her up until I've got no choice but to let her out in my room. Anyway, the vet at the Klinik Kembiri really did a good job as her stitches was nicely done and she's doing exceptionally well even its only a day after the surgery.

This morning I put some gamat gel on the stitches. I bought the gamat gel from House of Healin at Tesco Ampang but I'm not sure whether it's the same one as mentioned by our friend, June. Anyway, I've attached herewith pics of Allie taken yesterday ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allie sleeping on the bed.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	10276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Allie's tummy.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	10277  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Animal Lover

phatgurl is on a distinguished road

Oh my... I intended to spay my cat too but looking at your pics made me worried. I can't imagine myself watching her in such condition. How long will it takes for the wound to dry?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Animal Lover

Hie Phatgurl, actually, it's not that bad. As this was my 1st time spaying my Allie, I was terrified too but after seeing the result, it was okay. Allie was back to her normal self (eating, sleeping etc) just a day after being spayed. As its now already more than 10 days, the incision has already healed quite well and her appetite is good. Kudos to the Klinik Kembiri DBKL Setapak who has done a good job
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Animal Lover

misskeen is on a distinguished road

wow, this thread is very good! thx everyone for sharing..i need to make the call to mr krishnan very soon since both my male cats already started to get heat...few days ago, both of them didn't came home...*they were looking for female cats..lucky, they were found back again ...thank God!