Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

View Poll Results: Do you find this article helpful, interesting and informative?
Yes, I like it very much 3 75.00%
Somewhat/It's Okay 1 25.00%
No, not really 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Smile Breed Profile : BURMESE

(the following article is extracted from The Cat Fanciers Assocation www.cfa.org)

Breed Profile: Burmese

In the early 1930’s, Dr. Joseph Thompson of San Francisco acquired an attractive walnut-brown female from Burma which he named Wong Mau. Through selective breeding to Siamese, it was established that the Burmese is a distinct breed. Lighter colored kittens were occasionally produced and eventually the American breeders requested recognition from CFA for these “dilute” colors; first, as another breed named Malayan, then later as a dilute division of Burmese. The four colors recognized by CFA are: sable, champagne, blue and platinum.

Burmese carry surprising weight for their size and have often been described as “bricks wrapped in silk.” Their coats are very short, satin-like in texture, and generally require little grooming other than daily petting. There is a range in Burmese head and body type; the more compact cats with the rounder heads are seen in the show ring. Burmese have large, expressive eyes that are great pools of innocence and seductive appeal, irresistible in effect. These eyes are their most persuasive weapon in an arsenal of endearing traits that mask an awesome power to hypnotize their owners into life-time love affairs through which they effortlessly rule their families.

As kittens, Burmese are quite lively. They often seem clumsy when they attempt feats beyond their capabilities and land on their rears with solid little thumps. They will be playful well into adulthood. As Burmese grow, their high intelligence emerges and their own individual personalities start to unfold. They mature into charming, resolute executives who move in and take over a household, running it efficiently with those big eyes and a velvet paw. If encouraged, many Burmese converse with their humans, using soft, sweet voices (they are neither loud nor raucous). They are good with children, will tolerate the family dog, and if introduced to it at an early age as something pleasant, most will enjoy traveling in a car.

Burmese are extremely people-oriented; their personalities are almost dog-like in a tendency to shadow their owners and in a desire to give and receive affection. Many Burmese have delighted their “humans” by learning to retrieve. They love warm laps and caressing hands and enjoy cuddling up in bed either under the covers or on top of their favorite persons. They delight in helping to manage the house. Some of their favorite chores are assisting with paper work or reading (by sitting on top of the material), or going into cupboards (to demonstrate where things ought to be). Typically, Burmese are always with people. The females tend to request center stage and take an active role in ruling the household. The males prefer to supervise from the lap position, are more laid back and less opinionated. If emotionally slighted by their owner’s obtuseness, Burmese may sulk, but, fortunately, not for long. Burmese often convert the most anti-cat person into a Burmese enthusiast. Be forewarned! They can be addictive, and like potato chips, you may find you cannot have just one. Many people find the complete Burmese experience is to have one of each sex or perhaps two (or more) colors.

Burmese should never be let outdoors as they are entirely too trusting and have little, if any, survival instinct. Their idea of survival is to turn their soulful eyes on you to attend to all their needs. This does not work for catching food, fighting off enemies or avoiding cars.

A Burmese should be purchased only from a reputable breeder; avoid pet shops. It is advisable to visit the breeder’s home to observe the conditions in which the litter is being raised. While breeders differ in their methods, the environment should be clean and relatively odorless. The kittens should be energetic, curious, and easily handled. They should also appear healthy, as should all the cats in the breeder’s home. Check for clear eyes and noses, clean ears and healthy-looking coats. A breeder should guarantee the health of the kitten or cat for a reasonable length of time, provide registration papers (often after the kitten has been altered), discuss care, and be available to answer questions.

Pricing on Burmese usually depends on type, applicable markings and bloodlines distinguished by Grand Champion (GC), National or Regional winning parentage (NW or RW) or of Distinguished Merit parentage (DM). The DM title is achieved by the dam (mother) having produced five CFA grand champion/premier (alter) or DM offspring, or sire (father) having produced fifteen CFA grand champion/premier or DM offspring. Usually breeders make kittens available between twelve and sixteen weeks of age. After twelve weeks, kittens have had their basic inoculations and developed the physical and social stability needed for a new environment, showing, or being transported by air. Keeping such a rare treasure indoors, neutering or spaying and providing acceptable surfaces (e.g. scratching posts) for the natural behavior of scratching (CFA disapproves of declawing or tendonectomy surgery) are essential elements for maintaining a healthy, long and joyful life.

There are CFA clubs devoted to the promotion, protection and preservation of the Burmese breed.

footnote:

extreme left pic :Pictured: Best of Breed - Dilute Division GC, BW, RW AT'S A BURM SICILY OF BEAR COUNTRY, Platinum Burmese Female
Photo: © Chanan

2nd left pic :Pictured: Best of Breed - Sable Division GC, BW, DW ANOKA BELLE BRUNE OF LAC HONG, Sable Burmese Female
Photo: © Oliver Graf

middle pic : Pictured: Second Best of Breed - Sable Division GC BURMUSIC BOBBY'S GIRL OF CALCAT, Sable Burmese Female
Photo: © Larry Johnson

2nd right pic : Pictured: Second Best of Breed - Sable Division GC BURMUSIC BOBBY'S GIRL OF CALCAT, Sable Burmese Female
Photo: © Larry Johnson

Extreme right pic :Pictured: Second Best of Breed - Dilute Division GC, BW SARMICEL'S WALTER PAYTON, Champagne Burmese Male
Photo: © St. Arnaud

more pics to come :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burmese 1gif.gif
Views:	107
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 2.gif
Views:	86
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 3.gif
Views:	100
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 4.gif
Views:	94
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 5.gif
Views:	88
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1071  

Last edited by ashleywong; 10-03-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: adding in pictures
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Banned

Smile Re: Breed Profile : BURMESE

Photo of Burmese

Pictured: Third Best of Breed - Dilute Division GC CATIZEN FOOT IN THE DOOR, Platinum Burmese Female
Photo: © Preston Smith Photography
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Burmese 6.gif
Views:	99
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1066  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Breed Profile : BURMESE

Hi!!Ashley,would you be able to tell what is the type my mum's cat who live in KK?? here is the pic of Nurul aka Bluey.she is about 3 yrs old.someone told us this is Burmese/Tongkinese cat.

Nurul aka Bluey is female.Already spayed,vaccination and dewormed. she has bob tail.very vocal and demanding cat.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nurul7.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1094  
Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Banned

Default Re: Breed Profile : BURMESE

hi june

i spent the better part of the 3 hours at mph mdvalley today going through books on cat breeds, saw many pics and description of balinese, tonkinese, siamese, burmese. i think balinese is out if i understand the description properly, the hair is longish.

do you know? i think that all of us can be proud that our cats instead of being merely "domestic", "kucing kampung", they're truly exotic as they carry the genes and blood of their pedigreed ancestors. therefor our "local cats", "stray cats", kucing kampung", "dsh" are definitely more than good enough because they are so exotic. their gene pool is so diverse and beautiful and not to mention healthy (nature will eliminate those with defective genes!)

burmese, tonkinese, siamese, balinese are all related at one point or another and i won't be surprised if your cat carry the genes of both pedigree types

my exercise above was born out of a stubborn desire to find out whether samantha is a siamese, burmese or tonkinese and my eyes are still crossed.

if you could see the book i saw this afternoon - with the exception of balinese, the rest of them have a variety of colours and mixed colours including the one shown by your cat, there's a name for it.

definitely got burmese blood,,from the shape of the mouth but tonkinese, let me give my eyes some rest then i'll check the pics again

wait till i start on european shorthair and american wirehaired. and then bengal. already my sis is saying anna has bengal genes and i'm thinking nicy my tuxie has american wirehaired genes and ginger has european shorthaired genes.

but now i need a good shower to wake up, i stayed up until 2.30am this morning to cross-checked all these stuff! nitey nite for now
Old 10-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Breed Profile : BURMESE

Yeah,I agree with you.Many people look down on kucing kampung/dsh but they are not less beatiful from exotic or others cat breed.Even sometimes with unique pattern and look.Honestly,I couldn't be bother if Bluey is Siamese/Burmese but when I joined this forum I got curious and started to get to know more about cat's breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
hi june

i spent the better part of the 3 hours at mph mdvalley today going through books on cat breeds, saw many pics and description of balinese, tonkinese, siamese, burmese. i think balinese is out if i understand the description properly, the hair is longish.

do you know? i think that all of us can be proud that our cats instead of being merely "domestic", "kucing kampung", they're truly exotic as they carry the genes and blood of their pedigreed ancestors. therefor our "local cats", "stray cats", kucing kampung", "dsh" are definitely more than good enough because they are so exotic. their gene pool is so diverse and beautiful and not to mention healthy (nature will eliminate those with defective genes!)

burmese, tonkinese, siamese, balinese are all related at one point or another and i won't be surprised if your cat carry the genes of both pedigree types

my exercise above was born out of a stubborn desire to find out whether samantha is a siamese, burmese or tonkinese and my eyes are still crossed.

if you could see the book i saw this afternoon - with the exception of balinese, the rest of them have a variety of colours and mixed colours including the one shown by your cat, there's a name for it.

definitely got burmese blood,,from the shape of the mouth but tonkinese, let me give my eyes some rest then i'll check the pics again

wait till i start on european shorthair and american wirehaired. and then bengal. already my sis is saying anna has bengal genes and i'm thinking nicy my tuxie has american wirehaired genes and ginger has european shorthaired genes.

but now i need a good shower to wake up, i stayed up until 2.30am this morning to cross-checked all these stuff! nitey nite for now
Old 12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Default Re: Breed Profile : BURMESE

Hi there,
By looking at your cat, she is a mix DSH and have similarities when it comes to personality and some of the features because of the mixtures of genes.
You might want to compare my kitten, she is an example of blue European Burmese. She is going to be 5 months. When our Ashanta took pic in a room light or flash by the camera, her color looks like brown and with cream..if the room is not well lit, she is really dark but in daylight, her color points shown well.

Tonkinese, Siamese and Burmese can be differentiate by their color point also 'coz Tonkinese mistakenly a Siamese because of their Aqua eyes and vice versa.. . You can consider to look at it by their snout and their head structures. Although a demanding cat but they are not noisy, they only reply to you or when something they have to say.
Anyway, all ASEAN cats have similar attributes from Siamese cat. Burmese is mixed with Siamese and a cat from Myanmar. While, Tonkinese is mixed with Burmese and Siamese.
Burmese cat got 2 kinds : European Burmese and American Burmese (bigger & wider head)
This is the link that shows the difference between these 3 breeds: http://www.amrakkats.com/about.html

This is Ashanta's latest pic:

Name:	my best pose.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	10434Click image for larger version

Name:	another staff talking.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	10433Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00423.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	10435

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hi!!Ashley,would you be able to tell what is the type my mum's cat who live in KK?? here is the pic of Nurul aka Bluey.she is about 3 yrs old.someone told us this is Burmese/Tongkinese cat.

Nurul aka Bluey is female.Already spayed,vaccination and dewormed. she has bob tail.very vocal and demanding cat.

Last edited by Marcelleve; 12-07-2010 at 10:39 PM.