Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Petting Zoo, a good idea?

I visited a petting zoo last 2 days in one of our states in Malaysia...and am not happy with the conditions..actually the conditions are actually disturbing... I am sorry to say.. the place is not properly maintain.. and the saddest part is the animals.. they are not being cared properly and the fact that the zoo is for petting ..and most of the animals are damn scared of the visitors,worst are of visitors that have no courtesy to handle them gently .. the spaces for each animals are also very small for them to be comfortable with..

The rabbits for example... I got there and have the ideas in my mind that it will be like the Rabbit Park I visited at the Cable Car langkawi.. running freely in a wide green field.. but stop!! the space is big yet the rabbits are confined and gated in small space below direct sunlight as many as 6/7 of them. I looked at the caretakers and felt like saying to him "Hello..I may not be the wisest human on earth but when I got my first rabbit, within 20 min I knew by heart that rabbits hates direct sunlight.." They are hopeless with few visitors taking them up and down ( sighing.. I walked away as I can't bare the mishandling of the visitors, the struggling of the rabbits and no comments from the caretakers)

The monkeys on the other hand.. I am talking about the chained ones.. they are not well in health as I can see him develops skin problems ( as he climbs on me ) ..and chained.. It can be seen clearly that the chain has left chain-marks on him shows that he/she has been chained for quite a long time.. The sadden part is that no care takers are present at the moment.. as I saw stupid/uneducated/ungentle/and the most stupidest bunch of male teenagers at the aged of around 18/19 played prank on the monkeys by provoking the monkey until he wanted to attack and was pulled back by its chain..harshly ( and I think it hurts).. the monkey showed his aggresive temperament to those boys and other visitors walked away.. My other half went to the monkey and let him climb on..and slowly.. he played around.. and was very manja indeed.. and climbed down when gently put back to it place..It's such a shame as the zoo should be the place to educate the public as I think and I read that most of the animals there are rescued..but the actual phenomenon is the adverse of everything on print..the caretakers are just of those part timers as this happened to me:

Me : Ehh..apa nieh ( seeing a bunch of cute animals)..sembunyik kepala semua..
Caretaker : Kalau tak tahu tanya saya ( duhHH~) Nieh Hedgehog.. Tengah tido tueh..
Me : ( looking at the caretaker) nieh bukan tidur nieh abang ( talking to my other half ).. nieh dia takut sangat2 nieh... ( ignoring the caretaker)
caretaker : silence~
Me : kecian.. tempat nak sembunyik pun tak da...

The parrots?.. I can see that those are not happy parrots..they are aggresive most of the time..

I do not think it is wrong to try to reserve the nature and educate the public.. Bukit Merah does good by providing their animals with the close-to nature-immitation habitat and their care takers handled the animals professionally and saw them handled the animals full-heartedly, it is more like they have this hush communication/chemistry between both of them. And the animals are away from the humans and no humans can actually do harm to them.

From here, I am thinking of writing an official letter of disagreement to the management of the place. Unfortunately, I realized I did not snap any pictures as a symbol of protest.. The place does not educate the public to care for the animals / have heart for the nature..but more to 'they are just animals, they are forest creatures, they are aggresive and they are helpless"

So, what do you all think of this place / concept of petting zoo..is it good?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Petting Zoo, a good idea?

My opinon,petting zoo kat Malaysia tak well maintain,tak handle properly by experience people yg arif ttg binatang. petting zoo binatang mcm sarkas durang buat. so tak setuju sesangat unless they can guarantee their staff are well trained and those yg mmg pakar atau berpengalaman handle animals yg dlm petting zoo. kdg2 tgk budak2 pegang2 binatang & buat mcm binatang tu mcm toys.itu lg akak tak setuju.sepatutnya garis panduan kena ditekankan dlm petting zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
I visited a petting zoo last 2 days in one of our states in Malaysia...and am not happy with the conditions..actually the conditions are actually disturbing... I am sorry to say.. the place is not properly maintain.. and the saddest part is the animals.. they are not being cared properly and the fact that the zoo is for petting ..and most of the animals are damn scared of the visitors,worst are of visitors that have no courtesy to handle them gently .. the spaces for each animals are also very small for them to be comfortable with..

The rabbits for example... I got there and have the ideas in my mind that it will be like the Rabbit Park I visited at the Cable Car langkawi.. running freely in a wide green field.. but stop!! the space is big yet the rabbits are confined and gated in small space below direct sunlight as many as 6/7 of them. I looked at the caretakers and felt like saying to him "Hello..I may not be the wisest human on earth but when I got my first rabbit, within 20 min I knew by heart that rabbits hates direct sunlight.." They are hopeless with few visitors taking them up and down ( sighing.. I walked away as I can't bare the mishandling of the visitors, the struggling of the rabbits and no comments from the caretakers)

The monkeys on the other hand.. I am talking about the chained ones.. they are not well in health as I can see him develops skin problems ( as he climbs on me ) ..and chained.. It can be seen clearly that the chain has left chain-marks on him shows that he/she has been chained for quite a long time.. The sadden part is that no care takers are present at the moment.. as I saw stupid/uneducated/ungentle/and the most stupidest bunch of male teenagers at the aged of around 18/19 played prank on the monkeys by provoking the monkey until he wanted to attack and was pulled back by its chain..harshly ( and I think it hurts).. the monkey showed his aggresive temperament to those boys and other visitors walked away.. My other half went to the monkey and let him climb on..and slowly.. he played around.. and was very manja indeed.. and climbed down when gently put back to it place..It's such a shame as the zoo should be the place to educate the public as I think and I read that most of the animals there are rescued..but the actual phenomenon is the adverse of everything on print..the caretakers are just of those part timers as this happened to me:

Me : Ehh..apa nieh ( seeing a bunch of cute animals)..sembunyik kepala semua..
Caretaker : Kalau tak tahu tanya saya ( duhHH~) Nieh Hedgehog.. Tengah tido tueh..
Me : ( looking at the caretaker) nieh bukan tidur nieh abang ( talking to my other half ).. nieh dia takut sangat2 nieh... ( ignoring the caretaker)
caretaker : silence~
Me : kecian.. tempat nak sembunyik pun tak da...

The parrots?.. I can see that those are not happy parrots..they are aggresive most of the time..

I do not think it is wrong to try to reserve the nature and educate the public.. Bukit Merah does good by providing their animals with the close-to nature-immitation habitat and their care takers handled the animals professionally and saw them handled the animals full-heartedly, it is more like they have this hush communication/chemistry between both of them. And the animals are away from the humans and no humans can actually do harm to them.

From here, I am thinking of writing an official letter of disagreement to the management of the place. Unfortunately, I realized I did not snap any pictures as a symbol of protest.. The place does not educate the public to care for the animals / have heart for the nature..but more to 'they are just animals, they are forest creatures, they are aggresive and they are helpless"

So, what do you all think of this place / concept of petting zoo..is it good?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 PM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Petting Zoo, a good idea?

kak zai tak pernah pergi petting zoo, tapi pernah dengar citer yg sama from my friends & family yg pernah ke sana. Menyirap nyirap gak darah dengar how the animals there been mistreated.

Monyet tu kene rantai sampai berbekas ke nur ? kesiannyer...

setuju sgt kalau nak tulis surat komplen kat management tu
pastu duplicate hantar kat media cetak & elektronik
mintak doa satu hari mazidul akan highlite topic ni dalam 360
kalau masuk TV3 baru org bukak mata, baru sedar .
kalau tak mereka tu fikir nak untung aje
Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
My opinon,petting zoo kat Malaysia tak well maintain,tak handle properly by experience people yg arif ttg binatang. petting zoo binatang mcm sarkas durang buat. so tak setuju sesangat unless they can guarantee their staff are well trained and those yg mmg pakar atau berpengalaman handle animals yg dlm petting zoo. kdg2 tgk budak2 pegang2 binatang & buat mcm binatang tu mcm toys.itu lg akak tak setuju.sepatutnya garis panduan kena ditekankan dlm petting zoo.
Kak June, tak nmpak cam well trained .. tapi yang harimau tueh memang nampak well trained lah.. pastue takder petting petting..

I don't think they are well trained..at all.. Macam kekok jugak bebudak tueh.. beza dengan yang tengok kat Bukit Merah dulu.. siap memerang lompat2 lagi buat stunt.. pastue panjat2 peha trainer... dan dengar cakap..kata berenti..dia berenti.. the bond can be seen.. pasal bebudak tueh pun..parents pun tak cakap apa kan..
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
kak zai tak pernah pergi petting zoo, tapi pernah dengar citer yg sama from my friends & family yg pernah ke sana. Menyirap nyirap gak darah dengar how the animals there been mistreated.

Monyet tu kene rantai sampai berbekas ke nur ? kesiannyer...

setuju sgt kalau nak tulis surat komplen kat management tu
pastu duplicate hantar kat media cetak & elektronik

mintak doa satu hari mazidul akan highlite topic ni dalam 360
kalau masuk TV3 baru org bukak mata, baru sedar .
kalau tak mereka tu fikir nak untung aje
yerp..bukan monyet ja.. ada kambing gurun pun sama..berbekas berbalan badan bentuk chain tueh...

Tuelah..nak send official letter to them.. A letter of concern dulu..
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 AM
PetFinder Guru

Suhaimy is on a distinguished road

Education, education & education. That is the only way out of all of the probs. But sadly, Malaysian...(malas nak cakap, tau2 sendiri la rakyat kita ni)
Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 AM
~feline attaché

Letter sent

censored
General Manager
-censored for the benefit of everybody -

Cc to : -sensored for the benefit of everybody also-
Media Relation and Issues Management Department of _______
_________ group

Date : 1st January 2010

Subject : A Letter of Concern Over Petting Zoo

I am writing in to express my concern over your Petting Zoo in _______. It is truly a profound idea to have a petting zoo that holds the objectives of educating the people by taking the nature closer to them. Habitually, I would surf the net to do few minor researching of places that I would love to visit and your website is a success as I was lured to pay a visit, especially to your petting zoo a.I quote your website saying , ' the petting zoo is the creation of haven for animals , as their surroundings as is possible' yet my visit to the petting zoo last 3 days, challenged the statement and that is the fundamental ground of my concern.I am not a nature or wildlife extremist or a business crushing assassin nor the propaganda queen as I am writing in on the basis of being a concern citizen and a responsible human.

2. I was devastated to see the place not properly maintain and what I can assure you, from the reactions and temperaments of your petting animals, they were not happy. First of all, I believe the rabbits need wider place or field to run around and I do understand that you have provide the best running place for rabbits, but I was puzzled to see them on cemented flooring and I saw around 6 or 7 of them were confined and gated to limit their movements. Adding salt to injury, the rabbits were placed just below a small non-flourishing tree, making the direct sunlight at 12:00 noon struck direct to them. This was a cruelty in the broad sunlight for me as I believed the caretaker of the place, whom appear to be unprofessional , not realizing the rabbits were 'flaming'. Moreover, I was also concern of the way the visitors handled the rabbits as I presumed the caretaker should educate the visitors on how to handle this beautiful animal gently and appropriately. In your case, this was not what happened. The petting zoo concept should also make the rabbits more human friendly as rabbits, a domesticated pet, yet regretfully, your rabbits struggled hard and tried to get away. I am not trying to torch any flames here, as I am more convince in the rabbit park at the cable car station in Langkawi as it is more visitors-friendly and rabbits-friendly. The rest, I leave out for you to make the judgement.

3. On the other hand, chaining the animals until the chain-marks / scars on them is also a view to grieve for me. The monkeys in your zoo were sure visitors friendly yet to leave them unattended by any of the caretakers will draw naughty, mischievous, ignorance delinquents. I was there, watching the monkeys being provoked and when they were to attack they were being pulled back by the chain chaining them which I can see it hurts. I know you understand well enough that animals will react accordingly as how they are handled but as when they went into this bad temperament and becoming fierce, the other visitors did not dare to go near him, which was an adverse to your website, as this experience will teach them negative value which is 'wild animals are monsters to avoid'. It went on the same to the parrots as they were aggressive and the caretakers were just standing there, watching and did nothing.Among the other things, I suppose your place needs cleaner and more green fields for the animals, trained caretakers that know how to differentiate scared-to-death animals with sleeping animals, and well-kept environment to keep the welfare of the animals to the utmost importance.

To conclude, I reiterate that this letter is a no harm letter and also written to express concern of the welfare of the animals in your kept. I wish you consider and the better part of it, I pray that this email will be the lead to a minor revisory. Last but not last, I had an enthralling family outing and would like to thank you for providing such astounding water park.

Thank You.

Regards,
Signed
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 AM
PetFinder Guru

Good job there . Maybe you can also print out & send it as a letter. Soft & hard copy. Hope the boss read it, not the kerani & just ignore it. Well, you tried your best. Two thumbs up for you
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhaimy View Post
Good job there . Maybe you can also print out & send it as a letter. Soft & hard copy. Hope the boss read it, not the kerani & just ignore it. Well, you tried your best. Two thumbs up for you
yerp..you are rite..I cc their clique in the daddy company as this place is just a child company.

Thanks. I did this as I am irritated until today. Can't take my mind off that place.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
~feline attaché

The management replied me ..And this was the reply.. hopefully.. in future, I can see happy animals there.. Keeping my fingers crossed...
So far, I am satisfied with the reply and will call in to follow up with my letter .. in jun,2010, I am planning to revisit .. to see the changes promised...

Hi Ms _______,

Thank you for writing down your concerns of Lost World Petting Zoo, right after reading it this morning we have acted on a short term action plan today and had worked out a long term park modification work and staffs training program.

We were bounded by some limitations, balancing the law of nature , animal well being and a certain confinement (I know its not excuse for not doing it). You have given us a great opportunity to relook how we have tried in good faith but fall short in making this a better animal park.

I would like to invite you and your family back to Lost World Of Tambun at your convenience and by our invitation, and if god willing we will have the opportunity to meet you and share your passion and views.

I can be contacted at ******** ( this private no is reserved for me..).

Best regards and Thank you,
Calvin Ho Ch'an Hin | General Manager
SUNWAY LAGOON WATER PARK SDN BHD
E-Mail : calvinhch@sunway.com.my
Tel : 6(05) 542 8888 ext 100
Fax : 6(05) 542 8899

Last edited by nurkasih; 01-01-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 PM
PetFinder Guru

Well, well, well. This is a big, big opportunity to you & us to show a bit of our passion about animals. Ask some key people here or whoever you knows & share our vision & goals about animals. They might appreciate it. You can go as yourself or as behalf of PF.my. Ask Andy or Mods about that. Why not eh? Good luck
Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhaimy View Post
Well, well, well. This is a big, big opportunity to you & us to show a bit of our passion about animals. Ask some key people here or whoever you knows & share our vision & goals about animals. They might appreciate it. You can go as yourself or as behalf of PF.my. Ask Andy or Mods about that. Why not eh? Good luck
Behalf of petfinder?.. This is actually a very sensitive issue actually as I am dealing with a super big company.. I am not a vet nor somebody in any of the independent bodies or a certified zoologist, just a citizen expressing my views..

G pun if you have been to the zoo yourself.. even using naked eyes, u can list down 101 reasons for big revamp.. inikan pulak kalau ada vet with a heart atau a zoologist seeing that..

But..it's no harm on asking other mod's opinion ait?.. So Andy and mods? andy suggestion?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I have cats~

adil_hidayat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to adil_hidayat Send a message via MSN to adil_hidayat Send a message via Yahoo to adil_hidayat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
Behalf of petfinder?.. This is actually a very sensitive issue actually as I am dealing with a super big company.. I am not a vet nor somebody in any of the independent bodies or a certified zoologist, just a citizen expressing my views..

G pun if you have been to the zoo yourself.. even using naked eyes, u can list down 101 reasons for big revamp.. inikan pulak kalau ada vet with a heart atau a zoologist seeing that..

But..it's no harm on asking other mod's opinion ait?.. So Andy and mods? andy suggestion?
My personal opinion, a petting zoo/zoo came to existence because of our natural human nature to love animals (or at least most of them ). Even if the petting zoo (or the zoo itself) is well maintained, the idea of having animals in cages/confinement for amusement is not a good idea in the first place.

But even my mom has four cats in a huge cage. Talked to her bout this a zillion times but to no avail. Standard rule MOMs always win...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Animal Lover

charmaine is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sending the letter to them to express concerns and suggestions for improvements. Our society needs more caring citizens like you to make a difference! I saw your thread when I was searching for info on the petting zoo as I plan to take my son there tomorrow. Hope the situation has improved. Btw, have you visited the petting zoo since then?