Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Protection Laws & Rights

Animal Protection Laws & Rights Discuss on the enacted animal protection laws and how to better protect their rights

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 AM
June June is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tmn Shamelin Perkasa-Kota Kinabalu
Posts: 6,004
Rep Power: 0
June is on a distinguished road
Default Cats in Apartments

Shah, the dettol things has been post repeatedly and I will not repeat it anymore. Pls kindly chk it out yourself.

For clorox, the reason why you can't have cats at 6 mths when cat die due to FIP,FIV FeLV not because of clorox is strong. This is due to the virus is very resistance. If you follow the story about the death of Kyzoor's 27 cats then you will know what I mean. Pls also get yourself a copy of Cat Owner's Home Veterineary Handbook by Dr Debra Eldredge (I think now the price is around RM150) or you can get it online for free. Blackie007 posted the link for free downloading in this forum. Kindly chk it yourself.

If clorox if too strong for cats why vets use it after every treatment?? If you notice, when you bring your cat to the vet, when the vet is done with your cat he/she will spray the table with clorox before another patient coming in. Why??
I went to see quite a number of vet to chk on their service & how they treat my pets before I settle for one and none of them offer me dettol as a solution,so I am not sure your vet's opinion. You may also want to ask Nurkasih what happen to her cat after she use dettol. How she got an earful from her vet for using dettol. But then again, it is about choice. Up to you if you want to use it. Nobody forcing our opinion on you.

However, I agree with Nurazua, if you let the floor thoroughly dry after moping with Dettol it should be ok because it won't stick on the cat's paw.

Of course clorox is harmful if you drink it. Not only animal, human also. As a responsible pet owner and also human being, we should keep all those stuff in secure place not in the open area which are reachable by children or animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahcats View Post
erm..kak june can u please tell us what makes dettol fatal to cats?coz i already ask my vet about this..n she said we can use clorox to kill few virus..let say fiv..but u cant keep any cat atleast for 6 months(or more)..hence clorox is too strong for our cats..so she also suggest me to use dettol.. if u have any link which talk about "dettol" thing..can u please to share it with us..tq..

Last edited by June; 11-08-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 AM
blackie007's Avatar
blackie007 blackie007 is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KL
Posts: 3,418
Rep Power: 15
blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Poison - Hidden dangers

Quote:
Last summer Frances launched a one-woman campaign to have a warning included on every bottle of Dettol. Supported by the vet who had treated Harry and by her local MP, she contacted Reckitt Benckiser, the manufacturers of Dettol and outlined her concerns. In October she heard that her lobbying has been successful and the company promised that warning labels would be included 'within six months'. Frances hopes that Reckitt Benckiser's positive attitude will also be adopted by other manufacturers of products containing phenols.

Frances said:'‘Any positive eventual outcomes are a memorial to Harry, a very special cat.'

Alex Campbell of the Veterinary Poisons Information Service commented: 'We very much welcome the news about additional label information for these products. Phenol and some phenolic compounds and coal-tar acid derivatives used in some disinfectants, specialist soaps and wood treatments, such as creosote, are potentially problematic in many animals especially if the exposure is significant. Cats, birds and some reptiles are known to have a particular sensitivity to these compounds. As acid derivatives phenolic compounds are potentially corrosive and prolonged skin exposures can cause severe skin irritation or burns. If the animals ingest or groom material off contaminated skin they may develop irritation or burns of the mouth and tongue as well. They may therefore vomit or salivate excessively. In severe exposures such substances could be absorbed across damaged skin and cause systemic signs such as breathing difficulties, hyperthermia or even shock. Luckily severe cases are very rare, but so are animal specific warnings on such products and therefore this commitment by a major manufacturer like Reckitt Benckiser is most laudable.'

extracted from http://www.fabcats.org/owners/poisons/article.html
So, if you use Dettol to mop your floor, or any floor cleaning detergent, for that matter, please make sure that the floor is ABSOLUTELY DRY before letting your cats out.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-06-2010, 12:35 PM
adrianng87's Avatar
adrianng87 adrianng87 is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 10
adrianng87 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Yes, make sure it is dry, not just dettol, but any multi-purpose cleaner. Like June said, it's up to you. If you find even any muliti-purpose cleaner is causing your cat suffocating, stop immediately and seek advice from a vet.
__________________
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." - Lao Tzu
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 PM
shahcats shahcats is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: gombak
Posts: 114
Rep Power: 10
shahcats is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Shah, the dettol things has been post repeatedly and I will not repeat it anymore. Pls kindly chk it out yourself.

For clorox, the reason why you can't have cats at 6 mths when cat die due to FIP,FIV FeLV not because of clorox is strong. This is due to the virus is very resistance. If you follow the story about the death of Kyzoor's 27 cats then you will know what I mean. Pls also get yourself a copy of Cat Owner's Home Veterineary Handbook by Dr Debra Eldredge (I think now the price is around RM150) or you can get it online for free. Blackie007 posted the link for free downloading in this forum. Kindly chk it yourself.

If clorox if too strong for cats why vets use it after every treatment?? If you notice, when you bring your cat to the vet, when the vet is done with your cat he/she will spray the table with clorox before another patient coming in. Why??
I went to see quite a number of vet to chk on their service & how they treat my pets before I settle for one and none of them offer me dettol as a solution,so I am not sure your vet's opinion. You may also want to ask Nurkasih what happen to her cat after she use dettol. How she got an earful from her vet for using dettol. But then again, it is about choice. Up to you if you want to use it. Nobody forcing our opinion to you.

However, I agree with Nurazua, if you let the floor thoroughly dry after moping with Dettol it should be ok because it won't stick on the cat's paw.

Of course clorox is harmful if you drink it. Not only animal, human also. As a responsible pet owner and also human being, we should keep all those stuff in secure place not in the open area which are reachable by chidlren or animal.
tq kak..just finish read the kyzoor case..
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
kmleong kmleong is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 9
kmleong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

i forgot to add something. My mom seldom comes to my house but mostly during chinese new year I will bring her here and stay for a few days. While she is still living in the other house that doesn't have animals so how come she doesn't smell anything when she came to my house? Also I see the neighbours son playing outside along the corridor once in awhile and he looks healthy. I just got back home and he is playing ball right now outside the corridor.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-06-2010, 04:39 PM
kuntum's Avatar
kuntum kuntum is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 612
Rep Power: 11
kuntum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Dear kmleong,

I pitty u for having such a neighbour...full of hatered toward animals....

When a bitter person like that living near u, NOTHING will satisfies him...whether u get rid of ur cat or having ur house spic and span...he will always finds a way...hendak seribu daya katakan...

It'a a good idea to move out from there but make sure that the new residence will allow u to have pets or even a consideration to have one. Please check on that..otherwise, u will going in circle again..having the same or even wrost problems in the future...

In a meanwhile, take good care of ur house, like what some of the forumers are suggesting. put some automatic Airwick sprays but not the plugins ones. I will not encourage u to put some of potpouri as the concentrated perfume is deady for cats. Instead of cleaning in a weekly basis, why not try doing it everyday...personally, when u have cats, vaccuming & moping the floors are a daily routine...hang in there kmleong.

Good luck!
__________________
“What greater gift than the love of a cat?” – Charles Dickens
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-06-2010, 05:44 PM
kmleong kmleong is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 9
kmleong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
Dear kmleong,

I pitty u for having such a neighbour...full of hatered toward animals....

When a bitter person like that living near u, NOTHING will satisfies him...whether u get rid of ur cat or having ur house spic and span...he will always finds a way...hendak seribu daya katakan...

It'a a good idea to move out from there but make sure that the new residence will allow u to have pets or even a consideration to have one. Please check on that..otherwise, u will going in circle again..having the same or even wrost problems in the future...

In a meanwhile, take good care of ur house, like what some of the forumers are suggesting. put some automatic Airwick sprays but not the plugins ones. I will not encourage u to put some of potpouri as the concentrated perfume is deady for cats. Instead of cleaning in a weekly basis, why not try doing it everyday...personally, when u have cats, vaccuming & moping the floors are a daily routine...hang in there kmleong.

Good luck!
i have put air wick long time ago when I got a call from the management. But sometimes when my air wick runs out and my budget is low I forgot to buy. But normally once in awhile (like every few months) I get a call from the management. But this whole problem started from the indian family who lives in 3rd floor (I live in 2nd floor). From their problem have shifted to become my problem.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 PM
adrianng87's Avatar
adrianng87 adrianng87 is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 10
adrianng87 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

kmleong, like what kuntum has said, move out is a good idea, though it can be quite a lot of work to do, find another place which allows you to keep pets indoor if that's what you enjoy living with. Be sure to ask a firm answer from the new place, or else you will be cycling this matter over and over again.

You got my blessings! Good luck!
__________________
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." - Lao Tzu
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 PM
mann mann is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
mann is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Last friday when i came home from office, i saw a notice was pasted on the wall about no pets ruling. I felt so SICK of it and feel like wanna tear off the notice but managed to control myself not to being so emo.
However, by reading what other forumers have gone through, i'm asking myself am I going to have to go through the same predicament. I'm so damn worried. On Saturday, I have to bring my babies to see a vet. Made feels like a spy because I waited for the lift to be totally empty before I can bring them in the carriers and quickly put them in my car. Same goes when I have to bring them home after the vet. I cant imagine myself without my babies as they ARE MY BABIES.
I will update this site if anything ever triggers up on this pet issue at my condo which I've rented from. I blamed myself for not being able to afford to purchase landed property in KL urban area. My condo that i've purchased will be ready next year and I'm so so damn worried if they dont allow me to bring my babies. what am i suppose to do? find a landed property in KL urban area? I think the authority should by now change their mindset that animal also have a rights to live. So long our pets in our compound and we can assure the authority that we will take care of them; i.e. neuter or spay, indoor, vaccination, cleanliness, we are allowed to keep them in our property. Any NGO can help on this?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 PM
kmleong kmleong is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 9
kmleong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann View Post
Last friday when i came home from office, i saw a notice was pasted on the wall about no pets ruling. I felt so SICK of it and feel like wanna tear off the notice but managed to control myself not to being so emo.
However, by reading what other forumers have gone through, i'm asking myself am I going to have to go through the same predicament. I'm so damn worried. On Saturday, I have to bring my babies to see a vet. Made feels like a spy because I waited for the lift to be totally empty before I can bring them in the carriers and quickly put them in my car. Same goes when I have to bring them home after the vet. I cant imagine myself without my babies as they ARE MY BABIES.
I will update this site if anything ever triggers up on this pet issue at my condo which I've rented from. I blamed myself for not being able to afford to purchase landed property in KL urban area. My condo that i've purchased will be ready next year and I'm so so damn worried if they dont allow me to bring my babies. what am i suppose to do? find a landed property in KL urban area? I think the authority should by now change their mindset that animal also have a rights to live. So long our pets in our compound and we can assure the authority that we will take care of them; i.e. neuter or spay, indoor, vaccination, cleanliness, we are allowed to keep them in our property. Any NGO can help on this?
have you read the star paper? in the opinion column. Same story like yours. The management suddenly change rules and gave notice to everyone in the condo that all pets have to be evicted. You know is kind of sick living in apartments/condos cause the place is yours cause you bought it but you are like living in someone else's home cause we are not regarded as a land owner but we have to floor other people's rule. To me a management is just a person who runs the building, he doesn't own the whole building but yet we still have to follow what they say. Furthermore landed properties is expensive. If we could afford it we would have bought one instead of an apartment or condo am I right?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 PM
adrianng87's Avatar
adrianng87 adrianng87 is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 10
adrianng87 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Hi kmleong,
If you are still facing problem with the odor. Here's a suggestion you could try. I found this ad in a vet at Petaling Jaya.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07112010419 copy.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	10356  
__________________
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." - Lao Tzu
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 PM
kmleong kmleong is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 9
kmleong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianng87 View Post
Hi kmleong,
If you are still facing problem with the odor. Here's a suggestion you could try. I found this ad in a vet at Petaling Jaya.
You spray it on the cat or on the furniture? Btw, I cam across a forum in www.puppy.com.my about this owner keeping dogs in his condo. From what other forumer said that by law no pets are allowed. So the word "pets" means including fishes and birds am I right? i look up in my S and P and found this clause "The Purchaser shall not be allowed to rear animals or house pets in the said Parcel" so why during the meeting when I said to them that other people can keep birds and they said in the S and P didn't say you you can't have birds but isn't birds also included as animals/pets?

Also in the forum they were talking about something like the government will allow each unit to have only one pet, is this true?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
blackie007's Avatar
blackie007 blackie007 is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KL
Posts: 3,418
Rep Power: 15
blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

The Strata Title Act, which applies to any apartments or condos states the following:-

Quote:
Part 1

1. Interpretation.

References in these by-laws to a parcel proprietor however expressed, where the context so admits, in the case of a parcel occupied by a person who is not the parcel proprietor, shall be construed as including the occupier of that parcel.


Part II

6. Prohibitions for parcel proprietor.

A parcel proprietor shall not-

(a) use his parcel for any purposes (illegal or otherwise) which may be injurious to the reputation of the building;
(b) use as fuel any substance or material which may give rise to smoke or fumes or obnoxious smells;
(c) throw or allow to fall, any refuse or rubbish of any description on the common property or any part thereof except in refuse bins maintained by him or in refuse chutes provided in the building; or
(d) keep any animal in his parcel or on the common property which may cause annoyance to any other proprietor.
So, interpret it as you wish.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Cat owner Cat owner is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
Cat owner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

I am currently having an issue with keeping my two cats in our apartment. Our cats are quiet, we are extremely clean, and my neighbours don't mind at all! However, apparently someone has complained about litter smell in the garbage room (so we have started using flush able litter) but we think that our security guards are "on to us". They have started following us up to the apartment, and some days we come home and they are on our floor. They seem less than friendly and we are really nervous we might have our cats taken away.

We are thinking of moving to get away from it all but we have no idea where we can move to! Everywhere seems to have no pet rules and we really don't want to run into the same issue, as it has gotten really uncomfortable. Does anyone know any nice buildings that allow cats?? We want to stay in mont kiara area or bangsar.


Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Ly Mybelle Ly Mybelle is offline
I love cats
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Ly Mybelle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Dear Cat Owner

Try google for contact no for The Park Residence, Bangsar South and check with the management there if they allow pets. Hope this will work for you and the cats.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM
kmleong kmleong is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 9
kmleong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat owner View Post
I am currently having an issue with keeping my two cats in our apartment. Our cats are quiet, we are extremely clean, and my neighbours don't mind at all! However, apparently someone has complained about litter smell in the garbage room (so we have started using flush able litter) but we think that our security guards are "on to us". They have started following us up to the apartment, and some days we come home and they are on our floor. They seem less than friendly and we are really nervous we might have our cats taken away.

We are thinking of moving to get away from it all but we have no idea where we can move to! Everywhere seems to have no pet rules and we really don't want to run into the same issue, as it has gotten really uncomfortable. Does anyone know any nice buildings that allow cats?? We want to stay in mont kiara area or bangsar.


Thank you!!!
Some apartments are animal friendly. Try to find out from the agent some of the agent will know. I also wanted to shift out but in the end I decided to stay cause I can't sell off this unit as most of the buyer wants a higher floor unit so I gave up selling and stay on. I sneak in my cats back and what I did is cover up the windows with paper the once that are facing the corridor where ppl walk by and able to see inside your unit. It's been 2 years I think until now nobody knows I have cats except for the opposite unit. The main grill door I cover it with the green metal netting the one with small squares so my cats can lepak outside without going outside.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apartments and Pets blackie007 General Discussion 17 10-18-2010 01:42 PM
Know any Apartments/Condos that truly allow pets? KathTeaChin General Discussion 0 07-09-2010 04:43 PM
Cats 101 : Getting Your First Cat - Part 5 All-Important Scratching Needs of Cats ashleywong Cats & Kittens 0 10-14-2008 10:58 PM
All You Ever Want To Know About Cats - Understanding Cats' Behaviour ashleywong Training & Behavioral Issues 0 08-01-2008 11:46 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 

Main Site
Home
Advertising
Sponsored Listings
Sign Up
Find A Pet
Share & Save Lives
About PetFinder.my
Terms & Conditions
Freebies / Starter Pack
Report Animal Abuse
Contact Us
Facilities
WAGazine
Discussion Forum
Medical Fund
Pet Food, Toys & Products
Cuteness Meter
Central News Portal
Visual Map
Knowledge Library
Microchip Directory
FurryCards
Mobile
iPhone & iPod App
Android App

Social Media
Facebook
Twitter
KindMeal
Meat-Free Dining
Meal Deals
Kind Moments
Delicious Menu

Others
World Animal Day Contest
Digi iPhone Contest
East Coast Flood Relief
It's Pawssible
Freebies
Online Store
Discussions
Blacklists & Scams



Copyright © PetFinder.my. All rights reserved.