Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #261  
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
June June is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tmn Shamelin Perkasa-Kota Kinabalu
Posts: 6,004
Rep Power: 0
June is on a distinguished road
Default Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Maneki,I have to agree with you abt Kak Num.she's a volunteer and her hands are tight too.She can always give suggestions and ideas but at the end of the day the 'power that be' in SPCA will decide,isn't it??

I don't blame her when I raised issues in this thread but merely giving construtive comment and hoping SPCA will take it with open mind. The adoption fees is the first thing they must look into if they want more peple to adopt from them and no favourtism between ped and non ped cats/dog. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
And she did look into it, I might add! I notice that one day after I raised the question, the adoption fees for SPCA cats listed on Petfinder dropped to RM150.

Now, we might still wonder if even that is a reasonable amount, but we should all remember that Mrs. Dolittle is not a paid member of the SPCA staff. This is not her decision to make. She is a volunteer who is giving her time and effort, doing heart-breaking work and still managing to address questions posed here. Why? It's not because she's devoted to SPCA, but because she wants to re-home more animals. I may still have some issues with the organization, but I truly respect the work that she, as an individual, is doing, and her presence can only improve SPCA.

No matter what frustrations we have with SPCA Selangor, the fact remains that it is still probably the #1 dumping ground for strays and pets, and I really admire this lady's efforts to get those animals out of there.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 05-11-2009, 01:04 PM
FurKids's Avatar
FurKids FurKids is offline
Pets Are NOT Disposable
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,041
Rep Power: 14
FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivi View Post
Dear all,
can we stop the fighting?
for past one to two month there is nothing going on but fighting and fighting from mouth to mouth.
If each and everyone of u did experience such and such thing from spca that u r not satisfy, u can write a complain letter or look for person yang berkaitan and ask for the answer.
Kak Num already did explain and try to settle things one by one, so why wanna to keep rising certain issue and keep rising example for her.
If really got problem, i'm sure she'll gladly try her best to clear the misundertanding.
Dimb and furkid, before Kak num work in spca in ampang even u two admire her and respect her but when she start work in spca, i've notice that she's been shoot and shoot many times.
her goal from the day we all know her until now i believe i still the same
' to save and give all strays a loving home'.
so issue 1
adoption fees are quite high for local strays.
kak num did mention she'll have a look and try to settle this problem.
issue 2
adoption fees paid but full vaccination or neutering/spaying not yet done.
Kak num also did mentioned she'll do her bet to settle.
y don u all give her a chance ler.
baru berapa lama dia sandang jawatan ini?
i don mean i fully respect and support spca but i believe and fully respect kak num's goal.


Kak Num,
I am the one usually do the talking also and seldom do such experience by myself but from the first day i know u, i believe u'll only do the best for those lovely animals.
I salute u!!!!!!!!!!!
Vivi, you misunderstand, the similarity between Anum and SPCA is the "adoption" part. I am not advocating adoption at all because DSHs and mongrels tak laku!

As the solution to give life to these "tak laku" but otherwise healthy animals, I am following the examples of HK SPCA and the other modern no-kill SPCAs around the world and advocating the "R" in TNR (I have been echoing sampai tekak dah kering ... what HK SPCA and the modern no-kill SPCAs are shouting that there will be never be enough homes and $$ for shelters) ... that is why HK SPCA and the modern shelters have abandoned the "adopt and kill if cannot get adopted" strategy that our local SPCA is still pursuing.

Pastu, keep pestering people to adopt, adopt, adopt ... padahal all our homes are already full (legal limit for pets sudah full) ... and I am saying, "release, release, release ... don't depend on adoption alone and don't kill the unadoptables ... release them into managed stray colonies that are fully castrated.

Kalo barang tu tak laku, jangan lah mati-matian nak paksa orang beli ... pegi la kaji market demand dan jual barang lain yg customer perlu ... jangan asyik pukul gendang, " ... adopt, adopt, please adopt, please, please ... please ......"
__________________
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Ezer's Avatar
Ezer Ezer is offline
CEO, EzerNET
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 796
Rep Power: 10
Ezer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
And she did look into it, I might add! I notice that one day after I raised the question, the adoption fees for SPCA cats listed on Petfinder dropped to RM150.

Now, we might still wonder if even that is a reasonable amount, but we should all remember that Mrs. Dolittle is not a paid member of the SPCA staff. This is not her decision to make. She is a volunteer who is giving her time and effort, doing heart-breaking work and still managing to address questions posed here. Why? It's not because she's devoted to SPCA, but because she wants to re-home more animals. I may still have some issues with the organization, but I truly respect the work that she, as an individual, is doing, and her presence can only improve SPCA.

No matter what frustrations we have with SPCA Selangor, the fact remains that it is still probably the #1 dumping ground for strays and pets, and I really admire this lady's efforts to get those animals out of there.
Nicely put Maneki,

Mrs. Dolittle is representing SPCA here on this forum.. so please treat her with respect. It's ok to raise issues and I am sure she's doing an excellent job answering all the issues raised.... But please be respecful as well..

For those of you who would like to see Malaysia adopt certain policies like TNRs, please vote during the next election. Vote animal lovers into office... the best way to deal with big changes would be to make new policies and laws.... If you keep voting the same way, or not at all (as with most malaysians, we complain but when it comes time to vote, we either vote the same way, or not bother to vote at all, then next cycle, we complain again), then don't expect any changes, and stop complaining.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
FurKids's Avatar
FurKids FurKids is offline
Pets Are NOT Disposable
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,041
Rep Power: 14
FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Ezer, yes, we vote but I am still not so optimistic that many politicians actually care that much about the poor animals, that is why HK SPCA admitted that whatever they did, they actually got very little help from their governme as well.

In the end, it will still pretty much be the NGOs and the people's own hard efforts ... those guys pretty much do not care (whichever bus they are on and they hop from one bus to another with such ease .... )

Sigh ....
__________________
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Ezer's Avatar
Ezer Ezer is offline
CEO, EzerNET
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 796
Rep Power: 10
Ezer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Ezer, yes, we vote but I am still not so optimistic that many politicians actually care that much about the poor animals, that is why HK SPCA admitted that whatever they did, they actually got very little help from their governme as well.

In the end, it will still pretty much be the NGOs and the people's own hard efforts ... those guys pretty much do not care (whichever bus they are on and they hop from one bus to another with such ease .... )

Sigh ....
I understand what you're saying Furkids... *sigh*... unfortunately, most policians are 'cakap' only as well..

In anycase, a more efficient gov means the NGOs can get things done as well.. no point have NGOs when they can be arrested for all kinds of stuff like 'sedition', or what not if they push too hard...

Have you considered why the NGOs here don't push so hard?
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
vivi's Avatar
vivi vivi is offline
PetFinder Wowwow
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kota Kinabalu
Posts: 584
Rep Power: 12
vivi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Dear Fk,
I understand what u mean.
I know u oso support hk spca for their TNR program
I do support too, in a way.
But Malaysia is not a fast learner.
As ezer said u can vote during the next election but then y so pessimistic (did i spell correctly?).
Although Malaysia Gov is not a fast learner but someday this program i believe will become a must for the strays.

Even though Kak num urge people to adopt adopt adopt but then it's bcos she show her loves to them but that doesn't mean she does not agree on TNR program.
Infact y don we all study together bout this program and write a suggestion letter and collect all successful example rather than comparing by talk.
Neuter and spay was not accepted by all pet lovers before but now half of the animal lover realise the importance and benefit of neuter/spay to the cats or dogs.
So to me the TNR program is not impossible at all.
It's only the matter of time and $$ and of cos most mportance is the cooperation by the public.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Maneki Neko's Avatar
Maneki Neko Maneki Neko is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Posts: 842
Rep Power: 11
Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Pastu, keep pestering people to adopt, adopt, adopt ... padahal all our homes are already full (legal limit for pets sudah full) ... and I am saying, "release, release, release ... don't depend on adoption alone and don't kill the unadoptables ... release them into managed stray colonies that are fully castrated.
Dear Furkids,

You are saying that we need both strategies, yes? I agree that TNR is the best idea for a cat who has been living by its wits on the streets for all or most of its life.

On the other hand, the cats who have been pets and then get surrendered would probably not last a week on the streets if neutered and released. (My own cat's survival skills are limited to yowling in front of the refrigerator every morning before sunrise... )

And I don't know why I write only about cats... It seems like the Pulau Kitam dog community would be a prime candidate for TNR, whereas a dog who has lived as a family pet for some years would not.

As I think about this I wonder about the origins of the animals at SPCA, PAWS, etc. How many are brought in off the streets and could survive there again if neutered and released, vs. how many are surrendered pets who really need adoption? Does anyone know? Does the staff at SPCA currently gather and record any sort of info like this when they take animals in? I suppose, if the only two options at present are adoption or euthanasia, there's no point...

I will say this, if we're talking about a surrendered adult pet (not a stray) who does not get adopted, I think euthanasia is the more humane option. Would you agree?
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM
FurKids's Avatar
FurKids FurKids is offline
Pets Are NOT Disposable
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,041
Rep Power: 14
FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post
I understand what you're saying Furkids... *sigh*... unfortunately, most policians are 'cakap' only as well..

In anycase, a more efficient gov means the NGOs can get things done as well.. no point have NGOs when they can be arrested for all kinds of stuff like 'sedition', or what not if they push too hard...

Have you considered why the NGOs here don't push so hard?
Heheheheheehhhh!!! Soalan cepumas ah, Ezer ..... ?
__________________
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
FurKids's Avatar
FurKids FurKids is offline
Pets Are NOT Disposable
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,041
Rep Power: 14
FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Dear Furkids,

You are saying that we need both strategies, yes? I agree that TNR is the best idea for a cat who has been living by its wits on the streets for all or most of its life.

On the other hand, the cats who have been pets and then get surrendered would probably not last a week on the streets if neutered and released. (My own cat's survival skills are limited to yowling in front of the refrigerator every morning before sunrise... )?
True here ... cats that are too domesticated and have no survival skills should be rehomed, but unfortunately many are not adoptable because they are not "chantique" enough in myopic eyes ... such cats will not last on the streets like the street-smart ones and have to live in some designated away from traffic place like the corner of a park with lots of built in hideouts from the danger of stray dogs and have registered caregivers feeding and monitoring all of them after castration. Release does not mean simply at the streets. Modern SPCAs and other shelters work with offices and corporations to allow the managed colonies to exist around their office areas. I read that one McDonald outlet in America allowed a feeding station set up behind its kitchen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
And I don't know why I write only about cats... It seems like the Pulau Kitam dog community would be a prime candidate for TNR, whereas a dog who has lived as a family pet for some years would not.
PKetam is a golden opportunity for TNR ... and the dog lovers in that community can act as co-owners of several dogs or caregivers and it is one-in-a-million opportunity for TNR to demonstrate its proven effectiveness in our non-believing and apathetic country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
As I think about this I wonder about the origins of the animals at SPCA, PAWS, etc. How many are brought in off the streets and could survive there again if neutered and released, vs. how many are surrendered pets who really need adoption? Does anyone know? Does the staff at SPCA currently gather and record any sort of info like this when they take animals in? I suppose, if the only two options at present are adoption or euthanasia, there's no point...
They can survive, Maneki, but I think if you only have streets in mind, then horror would fill your mind ... but there are many other safer options that can be created if you look at what the modern SPCAs are doing ... they find some off-traffic or off-populated places ... even in residential areas in our backlanes where many of us have put up gates as crime prevention serves perfect spots for these cats because the stray dogs cannot enter the back alleys at all and endanger the cats ... but in this case SPCA will have to do the required Adult Awareness
Education Program in all residential areas (like Pulau Ketaaaaaaammmmmmmm ....), go on TV, media, shopping areas, etc, etc instead of putting out flyers asking people to adopt, adopt, adopt, jumble sales, and other tame stuff ... do what their modern counterparts are doing to inculcate an animal tolerant society accepting animals living in their midst and neigbourhood as managed castrated strays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
I will say this, if we're talking about a surrendered adult pet (not a stray) who does not get adopted, I think euthanasia is the more humane option. Would you agree?
No, because I myself have picked up dumped and very domesticated strays of the streets, neutered them and placed them in my protected back alleys to live contentedly as managed strays because they are too plain looking but healthy (hey, they don't deserve to die simply because their fur is too short or they are not gorgeous enough ...) ... and Maneki, there are other options beside "the streets" but SPCA will have to work on it the way their ingenious counterparts in other countries are doing to make all these possible instead making all the excuses and creating all the hurdles in the world.

Anyway, FYI Maneki, the modern no-kill SPCAs around the world have termed the killing of healthy strays as CRUEL and labelled errorneously as "euthanasia" and this cruel culling is actually done not in the interest of the animals at all but in truth it is in the operation interests of the shelters.

Kalau nak seribu daya, kalau tak nak seribu daleh, lah kan? And then kalau orang lain, mereka dok sibuk-sibuk suruh orang mencuba, tapi kalau mereka sendiri, belum cuba pun dah cakap tableh-tableh ...
__________________
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 05-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Maneki Neko's Avatar
Maneki Neko Maneki Neko is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Posts: 842
Rep Power: 11
Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
...such cats will not last on the streets like the srt ones and have to live in some designated away from traffic place like the corner of a park with lots of built in hideouts from the danger of stray dogs and have registered caregivers feeding and monitoring all of them after castration. Release does not mean simply at the streets. Modern SPCAs and other shelters work with offices and corporations to allow the managed colonies to exist around their office areas. I read that one McDonald outlet in America allowed a feeding station set up behind its kitchen.
Dear Furkids,

Truly, thank you for taking the time to educate me! (Especially when you're so involved in the PK rescues.) Yes, you're right -- I was thinking the R in TNR meant out on the streets. I hadn't considered options like managed spaces for feral communities. And that one McDonalds outlet may force me to take back a few (but only a few) of the hateful things I've said about McDonalds over the years.

Thanks again,
Amanda
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM
blackie007's Avatar
blackie007 blackie007 is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KL
Posts: 3,418
Rep Power: 15
blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

You know, amanda, i think my blackie would never survive out there, even if it's a managed space. we have sometimes look at blackie's lifestyle and wondered what would happen if he ever escaped and got lost out there.

he never sleeps on any cold, hard surface. he has only known soft beds or sofa all his life.....so how can he manage?

so, in this respect, I think surrendered pets may not survive out there if they're neutered and released. and, the ferals are not going to welcome a former pampered pet into their colony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Dear Furkids,

Truly, thank you for taking the time to educate me! (Especially when you're so involved in the PK rescues.) Yes, you're right -- I was thinking the R in TNR meant out on the streets. I hadn't considered options like managed spaces for feral communities. And that one McDonalds outlet may force me to take back a few (but only a few) of the hateful things I've said about McDonalds over the years.

Thanks again,
Amanda
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Maneki Neko's Avatar
Maneki Neko Maneki Neko is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Posts: 842
Rep Power: 11
Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

LOL, you're right about that! We cat-slaves must stay in good health, because if our cats landed out in the big, bad, real world, the fellows at the mamak stall would probably not serve them warm water and salmon sashimi.

But our cats are so sheltered and pampered precisely because we adore them so much, right? It's highly unlikely that you'll surrender Blackie to a shelter. If your husband developed an allergy to cats, I fear we'd find him (your husband, not Blackie) on Petfinder, up for adoption. Likewise, it's pretty much til-death-do-us-part for me and Maneki.

I imagine some other pet cats have more street smarts than ours and could probably survive in a managed community in a low-traffic area. And who knows? Our cats might surprise us -- their ancient instincts might kick in.

No plan is perfect, and I'm sure TNR has its victims, too -- the cats who can't survive, or who get kicked out of the group. But it sounds like a viable alternative for many cats, and the way FK described it, it's much less drastic than I had envisioned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
You know, amanda, i think my blackie would never survive out there, even if it's a managed space. we have sometimes look at blackie's lifestyle and wondered what would happen if he ever escaped and got lost out there.

he never sleeps on any cold, hard surface. he has only known soft beds or sofa all his life.....so how can he manage?

so, in this respect, I think surrendered pets may not survive out there if they're neutered and released. and, the ferals are not going to welcome a former pampered pet into their colony.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 AM
adamyala's Avatar
adamyala adamyala is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: damansara
Posts: 2,597
Rep Power: 14
adamyala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
LOL, you're right about that! We cat-slaves must stay in good health, because if our cats landed out in the big, bad, real world, the fellows at the mamak stall would probably not serve them warm water and salmon sashimi.

But our cats are so sheltered and pampered precisely because we adore them so much, right? It's highly unlikely that you'll surrender Blackie to a shelter. If your husband developed an allergy to cats, I fear we'd find him (your husband, not Blackie) on Petfinder, up for adoption. Likewise, it's pretty much til-death-do-us-part for me and Maneki.


Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
mrsdolittle's Avatar
mrsdolittle mrsdolittle is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: BENTONG PAHANG
Posts: 696
Rep Power: 12
mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
You know, amanda, i think my blackie would never survive out there, even if it's a managed space. we have sometimes look at blackie's lifestyle and wondered what would happen if he ever escaped and got lost out there.

he never sleeps on any cold, hard surface. he has only known soft beds or sofa all his life.....so how can he manage?

so, in this respect, I think surrendered pets may not survive out there if they're neutered and released. and, the ferals are not going to welcome a former pampered pet into their colony.

You know what guys, in a way i am very lucky that all my cats were ex-alley cat and rescued from cruelty. Somehow or rather, they all can survive both ways... i.e. as a pet or even as a stray. But they shall never be a stray anymore.

This mummy cat and 2 of her litters were dumped in front of my house can even accept and nurse 2 kittens fostered from SPCA. She is lovely and i've never seen anything like it before.
__________________

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 PM
June June is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tmn Shamelin Perkasa-Kota Kinabalu
Posts: 6,004
Rep Power: 0
June is on a distinguished road
Default Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Same here Kak Anum I pamper my cats too but no to the extend like Blackie Bond Cannot afford ler got 11 cats at home.boleh bangkrap woh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post

You know what guys, in a way i am very lucky that all my cats were ex-alley cat and rescued from cruelty. Somehow or rather, they all can survive both ways... i.e. as a pet or even as a stray. But they shall never be a stray anymore.

This mummy cat and 2 of her litters were dumped in front of my house can even accept and nurse 2 kittens fostered from SPCA. She is lovely and i've never seen anything like it before.
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 05-15-2009, 02:42 PM
mrsdolittle's Avatar
mrsdolittle mrsdolittle is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: BENTONG PAHANG
Posts: 696
Rep Power: 12
mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Same here Kak Anum I pamper my cats too but no to the extend like Blackie Bond Cannot afford ler got 11 cats at home.boleh bangkrap woh!!
I've got 9 cats and 14 dogs... declared bankrupt ler...

Nasib baik tak ada cat like Blackie Bond...
__________________

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
June June is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tmn Shamelin Perkasa-Kota Kinabalu
Posts: 6,004
Rep Power: 0
June is on a distinguished road
Default Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

huhuhu!!! declare bangkrap lg 6 thn baru blh clear si Blackie Bond to mmg over pamper kak.lebih dasat dari kita pamper baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
I've got 9 cats and 14 dogs... declared bankrupt ler...

Nasib baik tak ada cat like Blackie Bond...
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 PM
blackie007's Avatar
blackie007 blackie007 is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KL
Posts: 3,418
Rep Power: 15
blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

hahaha.....I like this picture, Zai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post



Amanda, I am a fair person, and if my husband suddenly develops an allergy to cats, this is what will happen.....



no favouristism, see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
But our cats are so sheltered and pampered precisely because we adore them so much, right? It's highly unlikely that you'll surrender Blackie to a shelter. If your husband developed an allergy to cats, I fear we'd find him (your husband, not Blackie) on Petfinder, up for adoption. Likewise, it's pretty much til-death-do-us-part for me and Maneki.

My Blackie was also ex-alley cat! But he was only living in the alley with his alley mum for 3 days of his entire life before she got crushed by a car. I'm so sorry I didn't bring her & her kittens into my home when I saw her carcass. If I had, she wouldn't have died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post

You know what guys, in a way i am very lucky that all my cats were ex-alley cat and rescued from cruelty. Somehow or rather, they all can survive both ways... i.e. as a pet or even as a stray. But they shall never be a stray anymore.

This mummy cat and 2 of her litters were dumped in front of my house can even accept and nurse 2 kittens fostered from SPCA. She is lovely and i've never seen anything like it before.

uik!!! kenape pulak use Blackie as an example.....aww, not fair to him, he can't help being a pampered cat, he thinks he's half human mah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
huhuhu!!! declare bangkrap lg 6 thn baru blh clear si Blackie Bond to mmg over pamper kak.lebih dasat dari kita pamper baby
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Ezer's Avatar
Ezer Ezer is offline
CEO, EzerNET
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 796
Rep Power: 10
Ezer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

^ LOL, funny..
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
jacinta.spca jacinta.spca is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
jacinta.spca is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Hi guys,

Heard a lot about this thread, so just dropping in to say hi ;)

To clarify a few things first;

Shahrul is not a volunteer, but a paid staff of SPCA Selangor as of 6 months ago.

Someone asked an interesting question about the source of animals at SPCA Selangor. Our recent analysis shows that a little more than 40% are surrendered by owners, 50% are strays, and 10% are lost or cruelty case dogs. We're receiving between 600-700 animals per month on average.

Really nice to see that everyone is so passionate about TNR, no-kill and generally saving animals. Really encouraging to see. Please trust us when we say that the staff and volunteers at SPCA Selangor have the same interests, but we are dealing with overwhelming numbers being surrendered.

At present, only SPCA Selangor and PAWS run shelters with an Open Door policy in the Klang Valley- meaning we accept all animals. We impose surrender fees for owned animals, but not for strays (though you are encouraged to donate if you can afford it). Regardless of whether the owner pays or not, we still take in the animal. We actively counsel over the phone, e-mail and at the shelter for people to find alternative homes, neuter & release, or to address behavioural problems (which is why many owners want to surrender their aggressive/ destructive animals).

In many cases we now also offer a re-adoption scheme, whereby they are offered low-cost spay-neuter for the pet they wanted to give up. Many people surrender their pets when they start having too many, or their pets start fighting, becoming territiorial/ aggressive, peeing on the curtains, etc. People are now taking to the offer more and more - offering them a low-cost neuter and giving them back their pet, instead of taking the animal in and them paying the surrender fee.

On a more personal note, one thing that is being said over and over here and in other forums that really, really irks me. "I really wanted to save this animal, but I had no choice but to give it to SPCA/PAWS and they cruelly put it to sleep".

Everyone has a choice.

No space? Board the animal, and find a home for it.

No money? Pool funds with your family or friends and have it treated at a vet.

No time? Find someone who has the time, come to petfinder.my and ask the forummers for help.

Don't take the easy way out and leave it at a shelter, and then condemn the shelter when they are forced to euthanise the animal. You have the power to help one animal, certainly.

All SPCA staff who rescue animals don't dump them at the shelter - we actually foster, treat and rehome the animals at our own homes with our own resources - or we find someone who can foster and care for the animals. To us, its clear that the shelter is already overwhelmed so why add on to the burden?

As for TNR, its a really good concept - unfortunately one that is not very viable in a local context most of the time. It's a good idea to neuter and release cats in areas where they are cared for, but generally all strays are not tolerated by residents and municipal councils. We have hundreds of reports of abused strays (hot water, beaten to death, strangled kittens, drowned puppies, poisoned stray dogs) and also many of them fall victim to diseases, injuries, car accidents and die slow painful deaths. Unless someone is actively looking out for these neutered strays, its not advisable to just leave them to their own fates on the streets. You guys are also probably aware that the municipals catch stray dogs and pups regularly, but you should also know that many of them are starting to catch cats and kittens too.

Just my two cents worth, think Sharul is doing a good job of keeping everyone here informed of our work and clarifying all the issues that have cropped up.

It's really not easy to work in SPCA, but we take our jobs seriously.

Sometimes we get pats on the back, sometimes we get yelled at, sometimes a bouquet of flowers. Sometimes we get a photo of a happy animal we rehomed, sometimes we feel like pulling our hair out, sometimes we feel really misunderstood. At the end of the day, someone has to do "the dirty work".

While many people grouse about animal shelters, we still have other work like our dedicated neutering clinic, government lobbying, education & community outreach, and assisting animal rescuers with low-cost neutering, daily emergency pick-ups/rescues, and inspection & action on cruelty complaints. We are the only animal welfare organisation who has this full set of services in Malaysia.

Many of you seem to be doing really excellent work for the animals, its really so motivating to see these changes happening. Also - and I have to say this - some of you are really coming off as armchair activists. You really need to stop philosophizing, get away from the computer and do something useful with all that energy.

*smiles and hugs*

J

Oh. and again, special shout out to Lynette - who is always just a phone call or text away when we need help with fostering, emergency pick-up, and with events. Thats really passion in action to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PENANG: Fosterers/Adopters Required Urgently JScott Dogs & Puppies 0 02-22-2009 11:04 AM
Emergency! Fosterers and Adopters Help needed in Penang Island!! stratocaster Rescuers & Fosterers 0 02-16-2009 12:09 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 

Main Site
Home
Advertising
Sponsored Listings
Sign Up
Find A Pet
Share & Save Lives
About PetFinder.my
Terms & Conditions
Freebies / Starter Pack
Report Animal Abuse
Contact Us
Facilities
WAGazine
Discussion Forum
Medical Fund
Pet Food, Toys & Products
Cuteness Meter
Central News Portal
Visual Map
Knowledge Library
Microchip Directory
FurryCards
Mobile
iPhone & iPod App
Android App

Social Media
Facebook
Twitter
KindMeal
Meat-Free Dining
Meal Deals
Kind Moments
Delicious Menu

Others
World Animal Day Contest
Digi iPhone Contest
East Coast Flood Relief
It's Pawssible
Freebies
Online Store
Discussions
Blacklists & Scams



Copyright © PetFinder.my. All rights reserved.