Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Animal Lover

Cat Newbie is on a distinguished road
Default Raw meat as Cat Foods

I am feeding my cats with raw cow meats everyday and kibbles as their snack.

Is that OK?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Animal Lover

kiwiCiku Graphy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Raw meat as Cat Foods

u should give kibble everyday and raw meat as a snack.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Newbie View Post
I am feeding my cats with raw cow meats everyday and kibbles as their snack.

Is that OK?
Hi, Cat Newbie --

There are some cat lovers who insist that a raw diet is best, BUT it is not only meat. Cats also need some vegetable/fruit in their diet and other nutrients not found in meat. Those who feed raw foods must mix other things with the meat and pay attention to the cat's overall nutritional needs.

If you feed high quality kibble (meaning something better than Friskies or Whiskas), the nutrition is complete.

So unless you want to do the research on making a complete raw food for your cats, kiwiCiku Graphy is probably right -- it's better to feed a high quality kibble and use meat as a treat.

FYI, if you are interested in learning more about feeding raw, the folks at Pet Epicure in Taman Melawati are very knowledgeable. Phone number is 0129059010, and email address is petepicure@gmail.com Address is No.16 Jalan Bandar 2, Taman Melawati.

Good luck to you and your cats!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Animal Lover

Thank you for sharing the knowledge, it is appreciated.

The cats just love the raw meats. I am giving them a shock therapy by withdrawing totally raw meats from their daily dietary, but when they give me their gentle meowingsssssss and sad eyes look like Puss In A Boot thingy; I feels bad.

They are currently on a mixture 40:60 of RC33 and Evo dietary. Hopefully, their withdrawal syndrome is not that drastic.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Newbie View Post
Thank you for sharing the knowledge, it is appreciated.

The cats just love the raw meats. I am giving them a shock therapy by withdrawing totally raw meats from their daily dietary, but when they give me their gentle meowingsssssss and sad eyes look like Puss In A Boot thingy; I feels bad.

They are currently on a mixture 40:60 of RC33 and Evo dietary. Hopefully, their withdrawal syndrome is not that drastic.
LOL! I do know those sad eyes. Cats have an amazing way of getting what they want!

RC33 and Evo are both great kibbles. Your kitties will get all the nutrients they need from them, and then they can just enjoy their raw meat as dessert.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Animal Lover

mimipurr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Cat Newbie --

There are some cat lovers who insist that a raw diet is best, BUT it is not only meat. Cats also need some vegetable/fruit in their diet and other nutrients not found in meat. Those who feed raw foods must mix other things with the meat and pay attention to the cat's overall nutritional needs.

If you feed high quality kibble (meaning something better than Friskies or Whiskas), the nutrition is complete.

So unless you want to do the research on making a complete raw food for your cats, kiwiCiku Graphy is probably right -- it's better to feed a high quality kibble and use meat as a treat.

FYI, if you are interested in learning more about feeding raw, the folks at Pet Epicure in Taman Melawati are very knowledgeable. Phone number is 0129059010, and email address is petepicure@gmail.com Address is No.16 Jalan Bandar 2, Taman Melawati.

Good luck to you and your cats!

Hello Cat Newbie,

You are wise indeed giving your cats raw diet, I would continue if I were you. And I second Maneki Neko's suggestion on Pet Epicure as they are really responsible pet shop with a lot of experience, I go there myself for all my cat food.
Just to share my cats grew up on so-called high end kibbles such as RC and later on Blackwood. One of my babes who is only 7.5 years old was diagnosed with CRF recently-Chronic Renal Failure(kidney problems/failure).
I was angry and dumb founded, here I am feeding expensive and supposedly premium stuff to my cat and he has failing kidneys at such a young age. Since then I have found a holistic vet to manage his diet and started feeding all my cats with wet food/home cooked food following the recipe from my vet.
If you like to know more, I suggest you read books by Dr Pitcairn and/or Anita Frasier to get more knowledge on what to feed your cat and how to care for them in a holistic manner. In these books they put recipes for how to prepare home cooked food/raw diet for your beloved pets. If you don't have time perhaps consider to buy canned food like natural balance/addiction or dry food from the same brands as they have high quality protein and no grain/carbs. I wish my cats would eat raw but they would not as they are all kibble heads as that was the only food they knew since small so my fault!
All the best to you and your furrkids!

mimi
Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimipurr View Post
Hello Cat Newbie,

You are wise indeed giving your cats raw diet, I would continue if I were you. And I second Maneki Neko's suggestion on Pet Epicure as they are really responsible pet shop with a lot of experience, I go there myself for all my cat food.
Just to share my cats grew up on so-called high end kibbles such as RC and later on Blackwood. One of my babes who is only 7.5 years old was diagnosed with CRF recently-Chronic Renal Failure(kidney problems/failure).
I was angry and dumb founded, here I am feeding expensive and supposedly premium stuff to my cat and he has failing kidneys at such a young age. Since then I have found a holistic vet to manage his diet and started feeding all my cats with wet food/home cooked food following the recipe from my vet.
If you like to know more, I suggest you read books by Dr Pitcairn and/or Anita Frasier to get more knowledge on what to feed your cat and how to care for them in a holistic manner. In these books they put recipes for how to prepare home cooked food/raw diet for your beloved pets. If you don't have time perhaps consider to buy canned food like natural balance/addiction or dry food from the same brands as they have high quality protein and no grain/carbs. I wish my cats would eat raw but they would not as they are all kibble heads as that was the only food they knew since small so my fault!
All the best to you and your furrkids!

mimi
Hi, Mimi --

This is just a little off topic, but would you mind sharing the name of your holistic vet?

Also, thank you for the two book references.

Best of luck to you and your furkids...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Hi, Mimi --

This is just a little off topic, but would you mind sharing the name of your holistic vet?

Also, thank you for the two book references.

Best of luck to you and your furkids...
Thanks Maneki Neko. The holistic vet is Dr. Susanna Brida-Hofherr.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimipurr View Post
Thanks Maneki Neko. The holistic vet is Dr. Susanna Brida-Hofherr.
Ahh, the acupuncturist-vet! I've heard wonderful things about her. At the moment, I'm happy to say that both of my cats are in good health, but I've got her contact info on hand, just in case. I'm glad to hear that you also think highly of her.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve

Hi,
I agree with holistic approach for inner health.
I am feeding all my kitties with 2 main meals; hollistic cat menu and BARF while serving dry kibbles between meals.
This method needs a lot of research, experience, time and patience.
If don't stick to EVO Orijen etc. RC had a pet food recall history - mostly, cat food that has grains in it.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eve
PS: Mimi, I can share you the menu if you like just let me know.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Animal Lover

Thank you for the input MimiPurr and Marcelleve.

Exactly I was advised by a vet to only feed my cats raw meats only as a treat rather than as their daily dietary, weekend only. The vet said that kibbles are more suitable and better as a daily dietary for the cats, not raw meats.

That is the reason I make the changes on their dietary.

Previous weekend, I feed them with steamed mackerel fish and last weekend I feed them steamed chicken. The way they devours the steamed mackerel fish and steamed chicken is still not the same as and when they devours the raw meat.

Raw meats when serve, bring out glitter of happiness and satisfaction on their eyes. Their body and tail movements and meowings are full of energy and ferociousness of pure enjoyment from unadulterated satisfaction.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I missed watching them eating the raw meats.

Dr Pitcairn and/or Anita Frasier books should be a good read for me, thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Animal Lover

Gene is on a distinguished road

i feed 2 of my cats with raw meet.

morning : boneless chicken breast (80g - 100g)
evening : chicken neck + chicken liver + boneless chicken breast (100g - 120g)
snack : watermelon (they love it)

tried adding supplement such as Calcium powder and Vitamin E into the meat but they just not interested. so i gave up.
and they don't eat kibbles at all.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM
PetFinder Guru

x-rulez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
Hi,
I agree with holistic approach for inner health.
I am feeding all my kitties with 2 main meals; hollistic cat menu and BARF while serving dry kibbles between meals.
This method needs a lot of research, experience, time and patience.
If don't stick to EVO Orijen etc. RC had a pet food recall history - mostly, cat food that has grains in it.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eve
PS: Mimi, I can share you the menu if you like just let me know.
can you share with me too???
Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Animal Lover

Hello everyone,

Eve -you are spot on, never stick to a brand and holistic and BARF(raw diet) is the way forward I feel. And I would love to get your recipe thank you very much. I am always reading books and finding new ways to feed my kids the best food.

Cat Newbie,
Please feed them raw if they will eat it. Kibbles are rubbish if you ask me, whatever the brand. But the ones without grain is the lesser evil.
I have two vets, one conventional(Dr Edmund from bandar puteri vet) and one holistic-Dr Susanna. I trust and work with both. Dr Edmund practically save my Joe's(my cat with kidney failure) life when he had and infection last month and Doc Susanna supported with Chinese meds and holistic diet. But when it comes to diet I don't follow the conventional vet's method of feeding RC(dry or wet) but instead feed him a special diet formulated by my holistic vet. When I bring Joe for his blood test he improved leaps and bounds following the holistic diet. Even Dr Edmund says to continue what am doing with his diet.
So ultimately it is your decision and your instinct that should drive what you feed you beloved pets. I strongly urge you to read the books I mentioned below so you have more info. Have fun with your furkids and all the best to you.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Ahh, the acupuncturist-vet! I've heard wonderful things about her. At the moment, I'm happy to say that both of my cats are in good health, but I've got her contact info on hand, just in case. I'm glad to hear that you also think highly of her.
Hello Maneki Neko,
Yup she's the one. She is very kind and supported me through my tough times when my cat was first diagnosed with CRF. Yes I trust her and would recommend her to anyone who seeks a holistic vet. I am very happy you have healthy cats and I hope you never have to go through feline CRF in your life!
All the best to you and your furkids.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Hi, all --

I was just looking around on the web for more info on a good raw diet, and I came across a site, www.catinfo.org -- about making your own raw cat food. It's by a vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson.

She states very clearly what I tried to say in my first post: It's important to pay attention to the contents of raw diet. It's not enough to feed your cats raw meat alone. If you don't make a completely nutritious raw food for your cats, it's better to buy it or to feed canned food.

Here's what she says:

Quote:
I frequently see people jump into making cat food without doing their homework and without any thought as to using a balanced recipe. This is what gives veterinarians - including myself - a very good reason for recommending against homemade diets.

I recently came across a post on an internet group stating how "wonderful" my Making Cat Food page is - including the recipe provided below. However, the poster then went on to outline what she was feeding to her cat which was not even close to the recipe discussed on this webpage! This poor cat was being fed a terribly UNbalanced diet because his owner was using her own 'creation' based very loosely on the recipe below.

She had completely missed the boat on this very critical issue and was harming her cat - plain and simple.

If you are not going to follow a balanced recipe, then please feed a balanced, commercial canned food diet. Please see Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition for reasons why dry food is not a healthy diet for any cat.

Basically, she's re-stating what Mimi has said in her posts: if we feed raw, we really need to take the time to educate ourselves about our cats' nutritional needs.