Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feeding My Kittens

bareen.. diorang nih dah jadik hyper.. so aku bg lepas ngn mak nya.. chiko aku letak dalam cage.. kalo x jadik drama nages menangis karang... eheheh baru la diorang senyap... pening pala aku di buatnya... diorang x mau makan lagi... poo pee pon x der.. tapi masa smlm dia tengok mak dia makan dia pon nak ikot sama.. dia jilat2 bekas makan tuh.. amik essence dia.. ehehhe....biler bg makanan tuh dia x mau lak makan...

ada idea x? rasa macam emot dah kekeringan susu... macam mana nak menambahkan susu dia lagik?

p/s : kawan2 sesaper ada botol susu kucen x? nak pinjam...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Kucing Garong

Bareen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen

Quote:
Originally Posted by filinlee View Post
bareen.. diorang nih dah jadik hyper.. so aku bg lepas ngn mak nya.. chiko aku letak dalam cage.. kalo x jadik drama nages menangis karang... eheheh baru la diorang senyap... pening pala aku di buatnya... diorang x mau makan lagi... poo pee pon x der.. tapi masa smlm dia tengok mak dia makan dia pon nak ikot sama.. dia jilat2 bekas makan tuh.. amik essence dia.. ehehhe....biler bg makanan tuh dia x mau lak makan...

ada idea x? rasa macam emot dah kekeringan susu... macam mana nak menambahkan susu dia lagik?

p/s : kawan2 sesaper ada botol susu kucen x? nak pinjam...
Anak-anak Hijra masih dalam cage lagi. Main sesama sendiri, tak pulak dia bising kalau Hijra takda dalam cage. Tunggu sampai umo 2 bulan baru lepas main kat luar cage.

Kalau ada KMR, awak bagi kat Emot. Campur ngan kibble dia atau minum direct. Puting kucing perlu di stimulate untuk hasilkan susu. Kalau anak-anak berhenti menghisap susu, susu akan kering. Puting Hijra cuma 3 saja yang hasilkan susu sebab anak-anak dia menyusu pada puting yang sama tiap kali, so puting yang lain tu merajuk dan stop production.

Cuba bagi kibble yang direndam air suam dan dilenyek hancur. Aku kisar dan campur ngan KMR kibble untk anak kucing. Cuma bagi yang hancur dalam seminggu cam tu lepas tu aku bagi kibble kitten biasa tapi aku pecah kecik-kecik. Bila dah reti mengunyah, baru aku bagi kibble kitten yang biasa.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareen View Post
Anak-anak Hijra masih dalam cage lagi. Main sesama sendiri, tak pulak dia bising kalau Hijra takda dalam cage. Tunggu sampai umo 2 bulan baru lepas main kat luar cage.

Kalau ada KMR, awak bagi kat Emot. Campur ngan kibble dia atau minum direct. Puting kucing perlu di stimulate untuk hasilkan susu. Kalau anak-anak berhenti menghisap susu, susu akan kering. Puting Hijra cuma 3 saja yang hasilkan susu sebab anak-anak dia menyusu pada puting yang sama tiap kali, so puting yang lain tu merajuk dan stop production.

Cuba bagi kibble yang direndam air suam dan dilenyek hancur. Aku kisar dan campur ngan KMR kibble untk anak kucing. Cuma bagi yang hancur dalam seminggu cam tu lepas tu aku bagi kibble kitten biasa tapi aku pecah kecik-kecik. Bila dah reti mengunyah, baru aku bagi kibble kitten yang biasa.

maaf yer.. KMR tuh apa dia??macam mana nak stimulate... rasanya sumer puting dia dak2 cik nih isap.. takder yang tinggal pon....
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:

maaf yer.. KMR tuh apa dia??macam mana nak stimulate... rasanya sumer puting dia dak2 cik nih isap.. takder yang tinggal pon....
Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Kucing Garong

Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen

Quote:
KMR, kitten milk replacement, susu gantian utk anak kucing. Kucing aku dah start makan ari nih, genap sebulan umo mereka. Kibble dikisar halus campur susu suam..
Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

owh..paham..paham.. thanks bareen.. nnt balik keje nak cari la kitten milk tuh.. arituh ada beli.. tapi x ingat da kat mana... x per la.. beli baru jer la...
Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 PM
LeenMaF|a

Lyn_Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There's few brand I noticed available at my regular petshop, Troy's Animalac Plus, Petalac and Neu Zea. Problem is, these KMR brand are not available all together at all time i.e if Neu Zea is on the shelf, Petalac or Animalac wont be available. If Animalac is available, the others aren't. There's no choice if one really need KMR. The last purchase I made was Petalac
Lyn pun belikan kitten Lyn yg dlm kotak dah siap bancuh tu...same company with Petalac. kalo utk yg serbuk, i prefer Neu Zea, Petalac susu serbuk mcm tak best plak..
Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Animal Lover

catz is on a distinguished road

Hello, everybody… I am new in handling kittens so I need ur suggestion about feeding a kitten… This morning I found a newborn kitten abandoned by her mother. I am not sure how old she is: she has opened her eyes, grown fur, can’t stand yet, and can’t drink milk on its own. So I decided to bottle-feed her. I use Petalac and I do research on internet on how to bottle-feed a kitten (http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/ht/bottlefeed.h) and I follow every step but she always rejects the nipple. Only when I raise half the body (the head and two front paws) and succeed to push the nipple into her mouth then she start to drink, but it lasted for a while only (2sec) and she reject to drink. So I always repeated to chase the mouth with the nipple. And she did drink few times and urinating when I rub her anus with a damp clothe and she fall asleep. Isn't that every normal kitten will not reject to drink? Is wht I did wrong? I am so worried I did take her to vet and the doctor say she is fine. Wht other things I need to do? She always call for her mom (It’s quite loud and I scared will bother other people at night). Wht must I do?

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestion.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz View Post
Hello, everybody… I am new in handling kittens so I need ur suggestion about feeding a kitten… This morning I found a newborn kitten abandoned by her mother. I am not sure how old she is: she has opened her eyes, grown fur, can’t stand yet, and can’t drink milk on its own. So I decided to bottle-feed her. I use Petalac and I do research on internet on how to bottle-feed a kitten (http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/ht/bottlefeed.h) and I follow every step but she always rejects the nipple. Only when I raise half the body (the head and two front paws) and succeed to push the nipple into her mouth then she start to drink, but it lasted for a while only (2sec) and she reject to drink. So I always repeated to chase the mouth with the nipple. And she did drink few times and urinating when I rub her anus with a damp clothe and she fall asleep. Isn't that every normal kitten will not reject to drink? Is wht I did wrong? I am so worried I did take her to vet and the doctor say she is fine. Wht other things I need to do? She always call for her mom (It’s quite loud and I scared will bother other people at night). Wht must I do?

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestion.
Kitten cries when they are hungry. You need to feedthem every 2 hours and everytime they cry. It ok if they just drink a little and sleep after that. Dont force feed them else the milk will get inside their lung. If you have problem using nipple and bottle, use small stringe (spelling??).

Are you using powser or liquid Petalac? Powder Petalac is not suitable as it powder tend to build up in the kitten's mouth and can cause chocking. My vet recommended to use Ducth Lady full cream milk if having problem with kitten milk replacer. I never try Ducth Lady with my cat but that the vet recommendadtion. Last month, my 3 newborn abandoned after birth kittens died after feeding with powder Petalac. I dont meant to scare you but merely share my experience.

Urinating after each feeding is good but when feed with milk other than the cat mother milk, the kitten might poo poo too. This a good sign, dont worry about it.

Probably the kitten is over 10 days as the eyes are open. By 30 days, it can start eating and drinking by its own. Make sure it get plenty of sleep and less crying. If you could find a foster mother, this would be the best.

Good luck....
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

hi catz

just to tag on my two cents - be sure you keep the kitten warm using towel or cloth but make sure it also does't suffocate. the poor wants warmth and food.

well, i'm suprise your vet recommended you use cow's milk as cow's milk is generaly not advised for feeding kitten as most kittens get diarrhea from drinking cow's milk.

otherwise, you can use goat's milk in a jiffy.

iv'e never had the occasion to feed a small kitten - actually yes, there was a kitten but the poor thing was so dehydrated we fed it diluted ID with a syringe.
good luck
Old 10-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Animal Lover

Thank you for all your suggestion...to bareen, ashleywong, and petfinder team.

The kitten is doing good. She drink more and urinate more. Tht's why she smells so bad. Can I wash her bottom with warm water and dry with towel and hair dryer (Phillips, not very hot)? and do I have to apply Frontline at her ears?

dear, Bareen. I agree with Ashleywong tht cow milk is not suitable because I read in a article b4 that we must not feed kitten with cow milk as it contain lactose that kitten can't diggest. So I feed them with Petalac. I ask the experienced assistant in Pet Safari, she said tht I can feed with Petalac but make sure to mix more quantity of water. But ur experience really open my eyes. So beside Petalac wht other brand of KRM that you use? do you have a foster mother for her?

Dear ashleywong, wht is it mean by 'jiffy' and 'ID'?

thank you.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

Hi catz

ID is a prescription canned pet food for cat - for cats that have constipation/ diarrhea or is dehydrated. It is usually bought at veterinary clinics as these are considered prescription diet and are only sold under vet's "prescription".

since you mentioned that the kitten was rescued, i thought you may need to know there's food option for dehydrated situation.

"jiffy" means in a hurry, or at a moment's notice especially when the timing is such that all commercial petshop or veterinary clinics are closed and you need "kitten replacement milk" so goat's milk is the nearest to "hypoallergenic" milk you can get for kittens - hmm, i haven't tried this before cos so far didn't manage to rescue kittens but if you need to try mamak's stall or 24hrs indian restaurant - they might have some. besure if you buy it, it is unadulterated - meaning nothing added to it like milk or sugar, etc.

Quote:

thank you.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Thank you for all your suggestion...to bareen, ashleywong, and petfinder team.

The kitten is doing good. She drink more and urinate more. Tht's why she smells so bad. Can I wash her bottom with warm water and dry with towel and hair dryer (Phillips, not very hot)? and do I have to apply Frontline at her ears?

dear, Bareen. I agree with Ashleywong tht cow milk is not suitable because I read in a article b4 that we must not feed kitten with cow milk as it contain lactose that kitten can't diggest. So I feed them with Petalac. I ask the experienced assistant in Pet Safari, she said tht I can feed with Petalac but make sure to mix more quantity of water. But ur experience really open my eyes. So beside Petalac wht other brand of KRM that you use? do you have a foster mother for her?

thank you.
True, cow milk is not suitable but do you know the different between Fresh Milk and Full Cream Milk? Susu Cap Junjung? Evaporate milk? They are lots of cases a rescued kitten survived when feed with Susu Cap Junjung, Full Cream Milk and evaporate milk. Fresh Milk is not good. Goat milk is good but it not readily available at all time. In Kuching, there no fresh goat milk and here we dont have mamak stall serving goat milk.

Beside Petalac, there are Animalac and Neu Zea. If the kitten accept Petalac, stay with it.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

kucen2 aku x mau makan soaked kibbles... its either dry kibbles atau wet food,... ada sekor tuh si huga nak minum susu mak dia jer.. lain x mau.. tapi emot dah cam kering.. da bagi milk replacer tapi cam x mau jugak.. macam mana?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
kucen2 aku x mau makan soaked kibbles... its either dry kibbles atau wet food,... ada sekor tuh si huga nak minum susu mak dia jer.. lain x mau.. tapi emot dah cam kering.. da bagi milk replacer tapi cam x mau jugak.. macam mana?
Cuba bagi Friskies Kitten dalam can kecik tu atau Whiskas untuk kitten yang dalam pouch. Si huga tu biarkan dia menghisap susu. Asal dia sihat dan aktif, alhamdullillah. Nanti bila dia rasa lapar dia akan belajar untuk makan sendiri. Tapi kenalkan dia ngan Friskies kitten/Whiskas Kitten sebab bau dan rasa yang dua ni lebih kuat dan sedap dari yang dalam tin besar tu. Hijra suka Friskies kitten ni tapi aku tak bagi pada anak-anak kecik dia sebab taknak dia mintak Friskies saja taknak makan kibble.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

owh...macam tuh eh.. ok... nanti nak kena cari la yang kecik2...

masalah hugo tuh..emot kadang x mau layan.. kena letak dia baring baru leh nak netek.. sian la kat hugo.. karang berlapar....
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Animal Lover

Thx to Bareen and Ashleywong...I understand quite a lot. But I am quite confuse too. Ha3...well, I am still learning and you all are my senior.

Dear Bareen, I really can still use Petalac? Er..may I know how long have ur kitten drink Petalac when suddenly they pass away?
can I wash the bottom of the kitten? I scared tht there will grow bacteria if kept for a long time.. do I need to apply Frontline too? I feed her today with warm water..I read on a intruction manual tht every kitten need drinking water. I think it's good to wash away any excess of the milk powder left in her mouth. she seems to like it too...is it okay?

one more thing I am very worried about... sometimes the belly of the kitten may be big which shows its full...but the kitten seems still not enough drinking milk..and I did pat her back every time I finish feeding but I don't seem to hear her 'burping' aftr feeding. I only can stimulate her to urinate. is sth wrong?

I need your help to pass this critical stage. once she can feed by herself, it's better. Thank you...
Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Thx to Bareen and Ashleywong...I understand quite a lot. But I am quite confuse too. Ha3...well, I am still learning and you all are my senior.

Dear Bareen, I really can still use Petalac? Er..may I know how long have ur kitten drink Petalac when suddenly they pass away?
can I wash the bottom of the kitten? I scared tht there will grow bacteria if kept for a long time.. do I need to apply Frontline too? I feed her today with warm water..I read on a intruction manual tht every kitten need drinking water. I think it's good to wash away any excess of the milk powder left in her mouth. she seems to like it too...is it okay?

one more thing I am very worried about... sometimes the belly of the kitten may be big which shows its full...but the kitten seems still not enough drinking milk..and I did pat her back every time I finish feeding but I don't seem to hear her 'burping' aftr feeding. I only can stimulate her to urinate. is sth wrong?

I need your help to pass this critical stage. once she can feed by herself, it's better. Thank you...
Clean the kitten bottom with facial cotton ot soft towel. Dont wipe with tissue paper as fibre in tissu can hurt kitten delicate skin. But you can use tissue to dry access water from the kitten coat.

My kitten die just after few hour after feeding with Petalac. Must be the solution is too thick for them. But they are newborn kittens which required first milk from the mother. Your chance of surviving is good as the kitten had pass its 48 hours of mother milk which provide initial antibody.

Dont worry about the tummy. If the kitten still want the milk just give her. Just make sure she urinate after each feeding. Dont worry about burping. It still too early to apply FrontLine but if you notice fleas, spray it on her bedding. Once she start eating, you need to bring her to the vet for deworming. Worm can be pass to kitten thru initial mother milk. Kitten need special deworming at specific dosage. Dont try to get deworming medicine over the counter for kitten.

Warm water will help to hydrate your kitten but she need lots of milk to grow up.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

Oh, worms can also be spread through fleas! fleas not only spread haemotbart bacteria but also worms - tapeworms, hookworks and round worms.

so bareen's advice is good - use front line on the bedding and take to vet for deworming, never use OTC : the cost of OTC is not that much cheaper anyway.

good luck and do keep us posted.

haiya, me not senior lah, this is my first time with cats and they're only about 1 1/2 years old but i couldn't find any information and help when i first started out (and didn't come across this forum) so my learning curve was very steep - more like a trial and error - luckily my cats survived my T&E attempts

Quote:
It still too early to apply FrontLine but if you notice fleas, spray it on her bedding. Once she start eating, you need to bring her to the vet for deworming. Worm can be pass to kitten thru initial mother milk. Kitten need special deworming at specific dosage. Dont try to get deworming medicine over the counter for kitten.

Warm water will help to hydrate your kitten but she need lots of milk to grow up.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Animal Lover

Thankyou very much to Bareen and Ashleywong who have help me alot. The kitten is doing good. I feed her almost every two hour! and ysterday I weight her around 200gram. is she healthy?

Dear, Bareen. I am sorry for ur kitten. hopefully they rest in peace. er..just to make sure. Frontline is a brand right? to kill fleas or mites..If let say I can't find it..can I use other brand? and..how frequent can I spray it..? when (how old) can I apply to the kitten? btw, only when the kitten start eating then I take her to vet, but eat in a mean of drinking on her own or eat food? anyway, Bareen, u r so familiar with cat. r u a vet b4? I am just like getting a free vet service.

Dear Ashleywong thankyou so much for your information. U r still my senior aftr all. I only keep the kitten for only few days compared to u who has succesfull. ha3. I will always keep the news of the kitten posted.