Home   Find A Pet    Forum   WAGazine   Medical   Classifieds   Store
|           

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
junshue's Avatar
junshue junshue is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
junshue is on a distinguished road
Default Toilet training issues

I know there's other threads/topics about this, but yeah, I have a kitten that still won't poo and pee in the litter box no matter what I do.

I admit, he's a fussy kitty, a drama king (he doesn't like ppl hugging him and etc, unless he is in the mood to). Well, one thing he at least learned, is to learn to sit, and stay away when I tell him to.

I can tolerate everything else that he does that annoys me, BUT doing his "business" everywhere. A lot of people gave advice and so on, and none of them worked. I really tried it all, and yet.. it failed. It's been 3 months since he got taken in, and to avoid him getting 'killed' by my parents, I desperately need him to get toilet trained. -.-''
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Rayquaza17's Avatar
Rayquaza17 Rayquaza17 is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 314
Rep Power: 8
Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

After he eat, you can lock him in the cage with the litter sand only. Avoid talking or noticing him until he does his business.
__________________
I have 2 cats, 3 turtle, 3 dogs.
'Used' to have 8 turtles, 14-16 chickens and rabbits. In Bali last time used to have 2 dog. :P
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Kynthia's Avatar
Kynthia Kynthia is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Damansara
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 7
Kynthia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

When I got my kitten, the first thing I did was "introduced" her to the litter box. I put her in the litter box and scratched the sand a couple of times. Then I would feed my kitten. 30 minutes later, I will take her to the litter box again and repeat my actions. If nothing happens, I will try again in 10 mins... until she finally pees/poos... I will stroke her, pet her etc... Accident happened once of twice. I scolded her. Then repeated the litter box training again. So far, its working
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Meffy Meffy is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 168
Rep Power: 7
Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Maybe he doesn't like the smell of the sand that you bought for him? If it's scented, then try a non-scented type. If he doesn't like the clumping clay, try other types of sand. You can also try pine pellets, silica or some people even use recycled paper
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
junshue's Avatar
junshue junshue is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
junshue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Super late reply. ;w; Been busy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
After he eat, you can lock him in the cage with the litter sand only. Avoid talking or noticing him until he does his business.
It didn't work very well, with the cage..haha..since I live in an apartment. I would have put his litterbox in the cage, but.. well, parents are always so naggy.. so yeah.. >.>; I had it in the bathroom instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynthia View Post
When I got my kitten, the first thing I did was "introduced" her to the litter box. I put her in the litter box and scratched the sand a couple of times. Then I would feed my kitten. 30 minutes later, I will take her to the litter box again and repeat my actions. If nothing happens, I will try again in 10 mins... until she finally pees/poos... I will stroke her, pet her etc... Accident happened once of twice. I scolded her. Then repeated the litter box training again. So far, its working
Ah! I did this sorta.. but gave him treats/food after he does his business. ;-; I am still patiently waiting for him to actually learn to use the litterbox. It's kinda funny how he's really good at opening and getting out from the bathroom with the door being locked up in there and everything else..but that. haha. >.>''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Maybe he doesn't like the smell of the sand that you bought for him? If it's scented, then try a non-scented type. If he doesn't like the clumping clay, try other types of sand. You can also try pine pellets, silica or some people even use recycled paper
Well, I used to use sands, but now I don't and my kittens have a bad habit of kicking the sands, so it's a hassle to clean them off everytime. ...and yeah...(fyi, he's the eldest among all the kittens I have now) The rest are able to do their 'business' in the litterbox and would make a noise when they're done though.

I'm still thinking of other ways to get him to learn, but it's tough. >.<
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 AM
jouhari jouhari is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cyberjaya
Posts: 115
Rep Power: 7
jouhari is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Hi,

I liked Meffy's strategy the most. Here is why.

1. being jailed sucks
2. we've obviously passed the intro stage.
3. Litter box in the bathroom might not work because floors might be wet. That doesn't help the cat.
4. I hope when you say sand, you mean kitty litter.

two ideas. Easy and hard

Easy.

Get the kitty a proper litter box (rm 25 wonderpets)and kitty litter. Proper litter box have a lip cover so the kitty litter will stay in there. If your problem was litter being spread everywhere this will solve it. a small carpet next to it helps them clean up, helps you clean up.It needs to have correct size and quantity Too small, and kitty might make a mess. Some might not even want to share! Keep it clean. If its dirty, they wont go there. these guys are clean animal most of the time yea?

Get proper kitty litter (RM22 9.5 kg bag at wonderpets). Lots of choices. I'm starting to like neo cat (good clump, good deodorant) . Use a proper pooper scooper. Its needs to have large handle. Doesnt bend when you press it against the box sides.. Large holes for litter to fall back in. (rm4.90 at petsmore) Saving ma :)

Hard


Train you cat to use human toilets.

Most cats like to hide their business. I guess you got a cat that doesnt mind sharing it's business to the rest of the world. Ironically I think that shows that the cat feels so safe and secured that it didn't need to hide his business. Spoilt little bugger huh? Get a dog to remind him HAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by junshue View Post
I know there's other threads/topics about this, but yeah, I have a kitten that still won't poo and pee in the litter box no matter what I do.

I admit, he's a fussy kitty, a drama king (he doesn't like ppl hugging him and etc, unless he is in the mood to). Well, one thing he at least learned, is to learn to sit, and stay away when I tell him to.

I can tolerate everything else that he does that annoys me, BUT doing his "business" everywhere. A lot of people gave advice and so on, and none of them worked. I really tried it all, and yet.. it failed. It's been 3 months since he got taken in, and to avoid him getting 'killed' by my parents, I desperately need him to get toilet trained. -.-''
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Meffy Meffy is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 168
Rep Power: 7
Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouhari View Post
Get the kitty a proper litter box (rm 25 wonderpets)and kitty litter. Proper litter box have a lip cover so the kitty litter will stay in there. If your problem was litter being spread everywhere this will solve it. a small carpet next to it helps them clean up, helps you clean up.It needs to have correct size and quantity Too small, and kitty might make a mess. Some might not even want to share! Keep it clean. If its dirty, they wont go there. these guys are clean animal most of the time yea?
Or...if you want an even cheaper alternative, go visit your friendly neighbourhood "Kedai Serbaneka". You know the types that sell all sorts of household items at reasonable prices. I never wanted to pay RM25-30 for a box that holds poop and pee. So I went to the gardening section of the shop and found a garden tray about 1.5ft long x 10inch wide and 5 inch deep for only RM3.00!! Of course it doesn't have the cover to hold in the sand but it's so worth holding poop! Using a mat around the box will help prevent litter tracking. My cat has the whole bathroom to herself so I only need to sweep it every other day.

The litter sand I use is only RM15 for 8lit. It's quite okay, has apple or lemon fragrance. I wanted to try the ones that cost above RM20 but....do I have to pay so much for something that my cat is going to poop on?

I think it's important you feed your cat good food so you wouldn't have to worry about extreme odours
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
zarinamac zarinamac is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
zarinamac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Hi, i have citikitty cat toilet training kit . Available now . Price RM75 including postage and free litter scoop.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Deekay89 Deekay89 is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Deekay89 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Why won't you use those kitty litter? where you train them to poo and pee in the toilet. Easy. However, i doubt that those things are sold in KL.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Deekay89 Deekay89 is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Deekay89 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarinamac View Post
Hi, i have citikitty cat toilet training kit . Available now . Price RM75 including postage and free litter scoop.
Hey Zarinamac. Your citikitty cat toilet training kit still available?? I'm interested here. Please reply a.s.a.p ... thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM
nurkasih's Avatar
nurkasih nurkasih is offline
~feline attaché
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Georgetown, Penang Island~
Posts: 1,612
Rep Power: 11
nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by junshue View Post
I know there's other threads/topics about this, but yeah, I have a kitten that still won't poo and pee in the litter box no matter what I do.

I admit, he's a fussy kitty, a drama king (he doesn't like ppl hugging him and etc, unless he is in the mood to). Well, one thing he at least learned, is to learn to sit, and stay away when I tell him to.

I can tolerate everything else that he does that annoys me, BUT doing his "business" everywhere. A lot of people gave advice and so on, and none of them worked. I really tried it all, and yet.. it failed. It's been 3 months since he got taken in, and to avoid him getting 'killed' by my parents, I desperately need him to get toilet trained. -.-''
First thing first

u need to take care of the "everywhere" place that he used to poop and pee.. because once he did that..the smell will linger and reoccurence will happen if its not being taken care of . U can digg the postings as i feel that there's a long topic on this.

Secondly

every cat is unique. do this do that..didnt work huh? ur stress level is up and ur cat can sense that and his up too.

i do get this occasionally..usually when my cat is not happy with me or even not happy with the littertray (unclean, blocked, non strategic place,)

in the end

U need observation ..a through one.. if u really into that..u can know what time ur cat goes to the toilet..as per mine..twice a day.. 10am-12noon and 10pm-12nite.. a healthy cat will stay between the time frame..if he doesnt..meaning he needs the vet.

tedious? Not at all if u do it by heart.. release a bit of ur stress and dun hate the cat Just yet.
__________________
Curiosity killed the cat, but where human beings are concerned, the only thing a healthy curiosity can kill is ignorance.~Harry Lorayne
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 PM
zarinamac zarinamac is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
zarinamac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekay89 View Post
Hey Zarinamac. Your citikitty cat toilet training kit still available?? I'm interested here. Please reply a.s.a.p ... thanks
Yes, available, New price now RM60 with free delivery. Good response from my buyer. Not suitable for more than 2 cats ok(for 1 citikitty). call/sms 0162638296
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 PM
aidamd aidamd is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 0
aidamd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

3 of my babies pee in litter boxes but poo outside. i just dunno why. memang they 3 muka happy je klu poo atas lantai. then yg lain akan kuis pasir kuar dr litter box n cover. bibik yg ni jugak la dok tertonggeng2 nk kemas.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
junshue's Avatar
junshue junshue is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
junshue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

well, it seems that he knows how to do his 'business' in the toilet, but only if someone accompanies him. :/ I have classes and so on, but I can't be there 24/7 to keep an eye on him.

There are also times he does it right -in front- of the toilet when he knows better not to. And he's just like..one step away to enter it... sigh..

He also knows it's wrong to do it around the house, but yet, he still does it. Every single time he gets caught, he runs away and hide.. lol. no comment. And aside from that, we have 3 litter boxes. 2 big ones, and a small one.

I spent time trying to get rid of the smell so it won't occur again. It still didn't work that well. I scrubbed the floor everyday and whatnot, same case still.

Idk, and even with my current health condition now (which is getting worse as time goes by), I'm not allowed to have furry friends anymore. Per the doctors advice. (yes, I also have a serious case of asthma where I have to rely on my inhaler) :/ So, I'm spending less time with my cats. One of my cat even had gotten adopted already. I have not much idea with what to do now.

Last edited by junshue; 04-20-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 PM
nurkasih's Avatar
nurkasih nurkasih is offline
~feline attaché
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Georgetown, Penang Island~
Posts: 1,612
Rep Power: 11
nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by junshue View Post
well, it seems that he knows how to do his 'business' in the toilet, but only if someone accompanies him. :/ I have classes and so on, but I can't be there 24/7 to keep an eye on him.

There are also times he does it right -in front- of the toilet when he knows better not to. And he's just like..one step away to enter it... sigh..

He also knows it's wrong to do it around the house, but yet, he still does it. Every single time he gets caught, he runs away and hide.. lol. no comment. And aside from that, we have 3 litter boxes. 2 big ones, and a small one.

I spent time trying to get rid of the smell so it won't occur again. It still didn't work that well. I scrubbed the floor everyday and whatnot, same case still.

Idk, and even with my current health condition now (which is getting worse as time goes by), I'm not allowed to have furry friends anymore. Per the doctors advice. (yes, I also have a serious case of asthma where I have to rely on my inhaler) :/ So, I'm spending less time with my cats. One of my cat even had gotten adopted already. I have not much idea with what to do now.
The last to do is to stay positive and think positively. I have major allergy problem under treatment with gh skin specialist and my sis has ashmatic problem with the history of hospitalization. And we kept a 5 year old and a 6 year olf male and female persian long hair cats in the house. Theyve been with us for 6 years and counting. Another way of combating allergens is via constant physical activity/exercising. Avoiding is only temporary.
__________________
Curiosity killed the cat, but where human beings are concerned, the only thing a healthy curiosity can kill is ignorance.~Harry Lorayne
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
shazshera shazshera is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0
shazshera is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

How true Nurkasih. Me & my family have allergic issues as well. But my cats are DSH & were strays before. Not to avoid the issue, I had to spend extra money for good food & litter, extra time for cleaning (have 2 cats which until now still do their biz not in their litter tray )& loads of patience as we as a family just luv our cats.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM
junshue's Avatar
junshue junshue is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
junshue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Not to say I'm trying to avoid anything, but it's just a case of where I've been really really sick for a long period of time. I do mean REALLY sick. Starting when I was 13. I've never actually recovered, so yeah. :> Yes, it's tiring, I admit, I lack a lot of sleep, and my grades dropped gradually over the course of that. I've been on and off with medications. I suffocate every single day and night. Yes, I've been in and out of the hospital too! Way too many times count.

But again, that -doesn't- mean I don't love my cats. I love them dearly. Heck, only Lord knows.

I simply don't wanna risk my health any longer. I just wanna get better, and yet, I'm still not any better. It gets worse, and it's really been hard to breathe, even the moment I step out of the house. If the moment it gets any worse than it is, then who's gonna take care of them right? Of course, not my family. My parents had always dislike me bringing cats into the house. And yes, I'm still on medications. For once, I want to live a life not being sick at all.


It's not that I don't think positive either, yes, I have been. With countless of ups and downs I go through? One has to think ahead of time, although the present is most important. To make the decision to give them away isn't any easy for me, it took me a long period of time to make up my mind too.

Last edited by junshue; 04-24-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM
shazshera shazshera is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0
shazshera is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Dear Junshue, I sympathise with ur situation. Believe me I know. I didn't mean u are avoiding the issue, my bad for wrong choice of words. Wt i meant was trying to minimise the occurance of health issues in my family. It's hard work, like figuring out the toilet issue. Anyway U know what is best for u. It's never easy but u'll get thru it. Good luck to u and ur cats.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM
junshue's Avatar
junshue junshue is offline
Animal Lover
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
junshue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toilet training issues

Sorry if I sounded harsh. lol. Thanks for the advice, but I've been trying my best, and still am. Just a bit on the downside because I took responsibility on a cat that was brought in by my sister that claims it as her own but never actually hold responsibility on it. ]:

Still in the process trying to properly train him though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cats, litter box, problems

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Citi Kitty Cat Toilet Training Kit nurfuziyana Pet Products & Services 10 11-17-2013 01:18 PM
toilet train our gp??? a-zack Small Mammals - Furry & Cute 1 01-22-2013 04:37 PM
Toilet Training and Crate training help! Rayquaza17 Dogs & Puppies 9 09-16-2011 10:50 AM
HELP: How To Train Cat Using Toilet???? ahnhan Cats & Kittens 36 07-08-2010 02:28 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 

Main Site
Home
Sign Up
Find A Pet
About PetFinder.my
Terms & Conditions
Link To Us
Contact Us
Facilities
Discussion Forum
Medical Fund
Central News Portal
Visual Map
Knowledge Library
Microchip Directory
FurryCards
Directory
Mobile
iPhone & iPod App
Android App
BlackBerry App
Mobile Website

Social Media
Facebook
Twitter
Others
Advertising
Events
Ambassador
Members
Discussions
Blacklists & Scams



Copyright © PetFinder.my, 2008 - 2018. All rights reserved.