Home   Find A Pet    Forum   WAGazine   Medical   Classifieds   Store
|           

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your dog have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Kynthia's Avatar
Kynthia Kynthia is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Damansara
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 7
Kynthia is on a distinguished road
Default How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table?

What can I do to teach my kittens to not climb onto my dining table?

Someone suggested to get a cat tree taller than my dining table as cats by nature like to be on high places. Would this help?

Last edited by Kynthia; 08-15-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Maneki Neko's Avatar
Maneki Neko Maneki Neko is offline
Petfinder Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Posts: 835
Rep Power: 10
Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table?

Hi, Kynthia --

I have a tall scratching post with sisal rope wrapped around it. The cats climb it and love it, and it has stopped them scratching furniture. That's the good news.

As for keeping them off the dining table, I have given up. Refer to the attached rules of the house.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynthia View Post
What can I do to teach my kittens to not climb onto my dining table?

Someone suggested to get a cat tree taller than my dining table as cats by nature like to be on high places. Would this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rules.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	11599  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Kynthia's Avatar
Kynthia Kynthia is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Damansara
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 7
Kynthia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Kynthia --

I have a tall scratching post with sisal rope wrapped around it. The cats climb it and love it, and it has stopped them scratching furniture. That's the good news.

As for keeping them off the dining table, I have given up. Refer to the attached rules of the house.
Farnee!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Meffy Meffy is offline
PetFinder Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 168
Rep Power: 7
Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table?

LOL..those rules totally apply!! Thanks for sharing!

Anyway, I slapped my kitten (quite hard ) when she got on the table the first time so that thought her a lesson. However the lesson seemed to have worn off now. She would still get on the table but will stalk from afar..like at the edge of the table or hide behind the tissue box (as if I can't see her! )

But, yeah, I don't think you can teach it completely. I just scold her to push her away whenever she does it. Make sure you keep your food covered
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Kynthia's Avatar
Kynthia Kynthia is offline
PetFinder Buddy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Damansara
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 7
Kynthia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I stop my kittens from climbing the dining table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
I slapped my kitten (quite hard ) when she got on the table the first time so that thought her a lesson. However the lesson seemed to have worn off now. She would still get on the table but will stalk from afar..like at the edge of the table or hide behind the tissue box (as if I can't see her! )

But, yeah, I don't think you can teach it completely. I just scold her to push her away whenever she does it. Make sure you keep your food covered
Hmm... I can do that whenever I am home... But when I am at work, it's a different story altogether... they will rule the house! So, will they ever learn?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Large Cat Climbing Trees / Scratch Posts For Sale! catlovinfamily Pet Products 2 06-23-2011 08:03 PM
grooming arm and table kavien Dogs & Puppies 0 09-16-2010 12:13 AM
climbing shelves and post aliciahorsley Cat DIY 1 12-24-2009 04:29 PM
How to stop the kittens from wondering outside the house? moiraz Training & Behavioral Issues 31 07-20-2009 11:16 AM
Human and the dog cannot together the dining dog is my buddy Dogs & Puppies 0 06-21-2008 01:48 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 

Main Site
Home
Sign Up
Find A Pet
About PetFinder.my
Terms & Conditions
Link To Us
Contact Us
Facilities
Discussion Forum
Medical Fund
Central News Portal
Visual Map
Knowledge Library
Microchip Directory
FurryCards
Directory
Mobile
iPhone & iPod App
Android App
BlackBerry App
Mobile Website

Social Media
Facebook
Twitter
Others
Advertising
Events
Ambassador
Members
Discussions
Blacklists & Scams



Copyright © PetFinder.my, 2008 - 2018. All rights reserved.