Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:04 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Are Black Dogs Less Desirable?

Is it true no one loves black dogs? Well...it isn't "no one" that loves black dogs, but there does seem to be an issue with the adoptability of black dogs. According to Susan Smith of the Franklin County Dog Shelter, black dogs are less adoptable. Ms. Smith says, "If you have two similar dogs - one black, one light colored side-by-side with similar temperaments, both well behaved, both house broken and friendly, the light-colored dog will be adopted before the black dog".

Why are black dogs less adoptable?

It is hard to know for sure. For one, dark hair is a dominant trait. There are more brunettes than any other hair color. In fact, in people, they estimate that 100 years from now, there will be no red-headed people in the country. Is the same true in dogs? It is hard to know for sure but that seems to be the case on a smaller scale. There may be more black dogs to choose from.

In addition, many shelters are in older facilities. The lighting is often suboptimal. Most people that go to shelters to adopt will find a dog by making a connection with a dog. That usually starts with eye contact. Dark dogs in dark cages are harder to see. It is possible because they are hard to see that eye contact is not as obvious and frequent.

Regardless of the cause - we love black dogs. We think they deserve every chance at a good home as any other dog.

So...if you are looking to adopt - don't overlook the black dogs. If you can't see them well, ask the helper to take the dog out of the cage so that you can see him or her better and interact.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are Black Dogs Less Desirable?

I love black dogs :)
Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

DIMB, actually the unfortunate fate of black dogs and cats has to do with supersitions and black magic practised by many cultures. They suffer so horribly that in some countries, the shelters simply have to destroy them rather than allow them to suffer mutilations and cruelty at the hands of such society and they even do not bother to offer them for adoption for fear that these animals might actually be secretly used for religious/superstitious/black magic purposes.

In fact, as far as I have read, the only country which considers black dogs and cats lucky rather than bad luck is America or England, I forgot which one.

Yes, Nivek I find black dogs and cats very sleek and beautiful indeed.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 04-21-2009, 03:53 PM
PetFinder Moderator

I have black dog too. he calling Rusty. I cannot find him in dark place.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Ya, Rusty very cute....
hahaha..but will be a bit hard time for u to find him in dark place.. I like Rusty too..
Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Rusty like have candle light.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Really I thought Chinese believe black dogs are very smart thats why they like them. But black with white feet they don't like. Must be all black... Dunno. Last time I brought a black puppy back my dad was very happy ... until he saw 4 white feet, haha. Then he tepuk dahi. He said black with white feed no good. The dog DID end up a little eccentric ... hmm. But she lived a good life till some ass poisoned her :(
Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
Really I thought Chinese believe black dogs are very smart thats why they like them. But black with white feet they don't like. Must be all black... Dunno. Last time I brought a black puppy back my dad was very happy ... until he saw 4 white feet, haha. Then he tepuk dahi. He said black with white feed no good. The dog DID end up a little eccentric ... hmm. But she lived a good life till some ass poisoned her :(
Haha, same happen to my neighbor. It was one day, a cute black kitten come to my house and my mom worry our black dog (Rottie) will hurt that black cat coz our black dog interested to bully black cat. So wut my mom do is quietly put that black cat in my neighbor house..

After that, my neighbor, he is a Chinese retired Headmaster from a primary school a bit superstition. He saw that kitten and he ask my mom :" Aiyo, why suddenly got black kitten come my house?" My mom respond to them: " Hah! Congratulation to you !!!Black Kitten, really ar..aiyo..U so "Ong" lo, you noe black kitten bring luck, she will bring all the luck to u, and u will be "FUAT" La .. My mom said this is because hope he can adopt that kitty, else that kitty will be pity and worry my Rottie kacau her. Then, my neighbor so happy and fully trust my mom, after that he go and buy 4 digits numbers..Who noe, next day he got the 3rd prize...OMG...So lucky...He is os happy and thanks my mom to tell him about that black kitty..

After that day, he sayang the kitty very much..U guess what is the kitty name..My mom told me, I LOL...Her name is "Fatt Choi", and my neighbor use the money that he won to spay that kitty..

"Fuat" Hokkien Chinese mean " Prosperity"
"Fatt Choi" Cantonese Chinese mean "bring prosperity "
Old 04-21-2009, 05:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Rusty like have candle light.

Clement, that light got flavor one? haha, I cant see Rusty face ..so dark, next time shoot in day time, hope to see more of his pictures... Seldom see Black Schnauzer in Malaysia..
Old 04-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

hahah....next time, just train him to open his mouth and grin --- then you can see him.

ya lor, in all your pictures of Rusty, I couldn't see his features clearly. You need to hold a torch to his face next time. But his coat is very silky and beautiful.

Quote:
P/s: in hokkien, they call someone who always seems to bring bad luck to them "pek kar teh".....white feet person. So I guess they just transfer this onto animals that are black with white feet.

But I love black with white feet --- they look like they're wearing socks.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
hahah....next time, just train him to open his mouth and grin --- then you can see him.

ya lor, in all your pictures of Rusty, I couldn't see his features clearly. You need to hold a torch to his face next time. But his coat is very silky and beautiful.

P/s: in hokkien, they call someone who always seems to bring bad luck to them "pek kar teh".....white feet person. So I guess they just transfer this onto animals that are black with white feet.

But I love black with white feet --- they look like they're wearing socks.
ya..Black with white fee very cute...